Di Marzio: Barca make bid for Pogba

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananaIceman

My point is Pogba could've been indifferent and Raiola pushed him over the edge to convince him to move.
Regardless, Pogba is a grown man who agreed with his agent. It's not as if Raiola was holding a gun to his head.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Think it's the opposite and rather brilliant and dastardly from them. Why should they care about our window closing? Our need for a replacement doesn't predicate the sale if they can cause enough friction. They could well be playing the mid to long-term game here in destabilising the player and the club with a thousand cuts until he's untenable and we want rid. At worst, it messes with the player and they don't get him; at best, they get what they want for a cut price (once the turmoil is fully established).

If Pogba decides to act up for the remainder of the European window, we have a big problem going forward that will filter through an already unsettled team/club and makes us look bad on a number of fronts whilst damaging our brand/name and making us even more unappealing to truly elite talent.

When Barca tried this with PSG, they got crushed and humiliated - and in the process, PSG sent out a message to the footballing world at large. What will we do in this scenario and how will we prevent the circus that is coming our way over the next few windows, should Pogba not go during this one?

This is a pivotal point for the club on a number of fronts and it's not just about warding them off once, but making it clear we're not prey to be targeted.
The fact is that almost certainly they won't get him at this point in time. We simply can't put ourselves in the position to lose him without replacement. So, true, most likely and only to destabilize him, but why such a derogatory offer along the way. Put something decent, worth at least thinking for a second, not this.
Doing business this way (such an offer, so little by the end of the window looking from our perspective which they should count also) will in most cases bring anger on the part you're willing to make a deal to the point that such part is going to try and get one of your players like PSG did or at least refuse to make any kind of deal if forced to sell. And try to sell him somewhere else.

Point being, they could destabilize him while not pissing us in the process. Or at least, I hope they pissed the board with an offer like this. If not, we're fecked either way.

Son Of Sam

We are nobodies prey, we have all the cards and will refuse to do any business that will negatively affect us. We aren't a lowly club who needs to sell players.
What about the unsettling of our players? If Pogba doesn’t play well in his first game this season, the vultures in SkySports would quickly say he’s not happy at United & he wants out of the club.

If Pogba puts anything red/blue on his hair, the media will link him to Barca almost instantly. How doesn’t this make us preys? You said we aren’t a lowly club but it was only a fax machine that prevented De Gea from going to La Liga.

Wake up & smell the coffee, please.....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Seriously, if Raiola and Pogba are angling for a move I'd be inclined to stick him in the reserves until his contract runs out. See how much of a payday they get in 4 years after he's completely ruined.
Only an oil club can put a £200m asset on ice. We're a business who cannot afford to fritter away 10's of millions of pounds playing silly games. Not only that, Pogba is our biggest player and the football world will be watching how we handle ourselves, that goes for potential future purchases, too.

Putting Pogba in the reserves would send a terrible message to upwardly mobile star talent as it could interfere with their 'dreams' and give them less incentive to consider us in an open market. You want a nice, big, juicy carrot dangling to entice top players to your club, and even if they're going to move on, then you profit off them. Anything else is counter-productive unless you're firmly established and have all the power, which we've steadily moved away from in the post-Ferguson era.

Devil may care

What Raiola quotes?
These ones.

Probably not. Regardless of any interest Pogba is going nowhere. His agent is touting him around sure, but we will not sell him. I am pretty confident that Jose will be gone this time next summer when everybody has had enough of his bollocks. Hopefully that would mean the likes of Martial and Pogba will re-evaluate any intention of leaving knowing he is out of the picture.

If Jose wins the league this year then my plan is seriously fecked :lol:
I'm with you on that hope, it's just a case of seeing out the storm right now, and we always knew that getting in bed with Raiola was dangerous business.

Crimson King

Is it possible Barca did this because we potentially messed them around on Mina? It seems convenient that those rumours died and now Mina is being linked with Lyon and Everton, and now they bid for Pogba from nowhere.
I doubt we were ever in for Mina, it's more likely they used us to try and drive the price up.

Lyon and Everton are being linked with him now, which is far more his current level.

sam147

Window shuts too late for us to get in a replacement. And what a laughable offer. We should do what PSG did. Barca try to sign Verratti they sign Neymar. That being said if a player is unhappy he should be sold. Next summer if Barca come in again we should look to get Dembele in return. And buy Savic to replace Pogba. That could be the only way we sort of benefit from the deal. No player on the planet has the combination of skill, physicality and technical ability like Pogba does. We should've predicted this as Raiola is his agent. But at the same time what does the club offer in return. If we dont challenge for major trophies and our manager plays dross like Mctominay then its bound to happen

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Regardless, Pogba is a grown man who agreed with his agent. It's not as if Raiola was holding a gun to his head.
Pogba strikes me as very impressionable, especially if he's working with a strong minded agent who is constantly proposing things to him. Raiola strikes me as a snake who will try to get his players to move as often as possible so he can collect his portion of the transfer fees. Not a good combination.

arthurka

I wouldnt want to be at Utd at the moment. The club needs to get Jose out as soon as possible. That said Utd have Pogba under a 5 + 1 contract and he has done 2 .

Tell Riola and Pogba to get bent and tell Barça to do one. Our club is in a shambolic state and it just gets worse and worse . I think Ed should go with Jose he seems well out of his depth .

Give it to Giggseh till the end of the season .

Revan

Assumptionman
110m is fair, Ronaldo went for 100m.
Ronaldo is 33 though.

Barca spent more than 110m in Coutinho and Dembele. Pogba is better than both, in addition to having more commercial value.

It should be a Neymar-like fee for us to even reply to their email.

Jezpeza

I’ll potentially be a bit controversial here.

My biggest worry about losing pogba is there’s so little out there to replace him with. I do want him to stay.

On the flip side, I genuinely haven’t seen enough from him on a consistent basis to make me feel he is as good as his price tag would suggest? All this talk about us not getting the best out of him etc, is that just a smokescreen?

Is he up there with a peak Gerrard, lampard, Zidane, Figo etc? Or can he single handedly win a match the same way bale or Ronaldo or Messi can?

I don’t even know if the sky story is just more of their speculation. What’s happened to our imminent moves for macguire and Mina? I think they just make it up

saivet

This is honestly the first time I've ever felt insulted by a transfer bid.

Eddy_JukeZ

Not even being biased, but I really don't think I've heard a worse offer in a long time.

Should tell them to feck off.

walsh

What about the unsettling of our players? If Pogba doesn’t play well in his first game this season, the vultures in SkySports would quickly say he’s not happy at United & he wants out of the club.

If Pogba puts anything red/blue on his hair, the media will link him to Barca almost instantly. How doesn’t this make us preys? You said we aren’t a lowly club but it was only a fax machine that prevented De Gea from going to La Liga.

Wake up & smell the coffee, please.....
Why do you think Pogba gives two shits about what the media says about his feelings, hair etc?

Almost selling a player to another club hardly shows that we are weak and vulnerable. That player didn't leave and has made no obvious attempt to do so since. We also were only going to sell him with what the club regarded as a suitable replacement (Navas).

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It's either Raiola trying to force an improved contract for Pogba, or Barca testing the waters to come in with a bigger bid next summer.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The fact is that almost certainly they won't get him at this point in time. We simply can't put ourselves in the position to lose him without replacement. So, true, most likely and only to destabilize him, but why such a derogatory offer along the way. Put something decent, worth at least thinking for a second, not this.
Doing business this way (such an offer, so little by the end of the window looking from our perspective which they should count also) will in most cases bring anger on the part you're willing to make a deal to the point that such part is going to try and get one of your players like PSG did or at least refuse to make any kind of deal with you if forced to sell. And try to sell him somewhere else.

The point is that they could destabilize him while not pissing us in the process. Or at least, I hope they pissed the board with an offer like this. If not, we're fecked either way.
Depends on their end-game. Also depends on what they're willing to part with - people are mentioning their top players, but that's a dangerous game for them to play as that could cause disruption in their own camp, which is obviously not their objective. If, ultimately, it's money this comes down to, then unsettling the player and actually have him perform below his level before making their true bids is incredibly smart.

They've a long time to work on this if they're serious, and that's a bother because our position is already crap, given our end of the window ends soon, and it's clear that all is not well at the club.

I think it's pretty clear that their working on a player before club strategy here, as in, they'll get in his head and do what they do, before entering proper negotiations with us. It's their tried and tested and I wouldn't bet against it working here, too.

Castia

There will be fecking riots if Thursday comes with no new players and Pogba on the verge of leaving.

Fecking hell, id be happy if we appointed a DoF so we can get our shit together everything seems so fecked at the moment.

Trizy

Several problems with this:

1. Pogba obviously requested the move not his agent.
2. Barcelona obviously do not respect us as a club with that offer. It's insulting.
3. There was obviously truth behind Pogba to City via Pep's comments in January, again very disrespectful from Pogba this time.
4. Proves no world class stars want to come to this graveyard of a club unless we pay them feck loads of money they are greedy enough to take it (Sanchez).
5. If we some how manage to sell Pogba for what he's worth we will get taking to the cleaners for a replacement once every club sees the money we got. Imagine spending £100m on someone overrated like SMS.

We're fecked as a club, seriously. It's just depressing being an United fan these days. All the money in the world and we're still going backwards.

littlepeasoup

Pogba strikes me as very impressionable, especially if he's working with a strong minded agent who is constantly proposing things to him. Raiola strikes me as a snake who will try to get his players to move as often as possible so he can collect his portion of the transfer fees. Not a good combination.
Agree with this. I could maybe seeing this rumbling on any other summer, but with Paul being back at the club training, not isolated with his agent in LA somewhere, I think this will be shut down pretty quickly.

Pogba has always seemed like a player who wants more than anything to be loved, genuinely think this is more attention seeking on his part than anything else.

Crimson King

I’ll potentially be a bit controversial here.

My biggest worry about losing pogba is there’s so little out there to replace him with. I do want him to stay.

On the flip side, I genuinely haven’t seen enough from him on a consistent basis to make me feel he is as good as his price tag would suggest? All this talk about us not getting the best out of him etc, is that just a smokescreen?

Is he up there with a peak Gerrard, lampard, Zidane, Figo etc? Or can he single handedly win a match the same way bale or Ronaldo or Messi can?

I don’t even know if the sky story is just more of their speculation. What’s happened to our imminent moves for macguire and Mina? I think they just make it up
He has real consistency issues, and we haven't seen the best of him yet. Part of that is arguably down to Mourinho's tactics, but a lot of it still falls at Pogba's door.

I think he'll stay, bit he needs to step up, like he did for France.

Litch

More nonsense, can the media get any worse in its attempt to undermine this football club. I honestly don't know how they get away with it....

Ban

There will be fecking riots if Thursday comes with no new players and Pogba on the verge of leaving.

Fecking hell, id be happy if we appointed a DoF so we can get our shit together everything seems so fecked at the moment.
I can guarantee you there won't be any riots.

Josep Dowling

So many people think this but he’s an agent for some of the best players in the world. If he was so suggestible why would players hire him?

I just think players know he’s get them what they want by any means.

Ban

2. Barcelona obviously do not respect us as a club with that offer. It's insulting.
3. There was obviously truth behind Pogba to City via Pep's comments in January, again very disrespectful from Pogba this time.
4. Proves no world class stars want to come to this graveyard of a club unless we pay them feck loads of money they are greedy enough to take it (Sanchez).
5. If we some how manage to sell Pogba for what he's worth we will get taking to the cleaners for a replacement once every club sees the money we got. Imagine spending £100m on someone overrated like SMS.

We're fecked as a club, seriously. It's just depressing being an United fan these days. All the money in the world and we're still going backwards.
First of all you don't if Pogba asked to leave. Second, graveyard of a club. Seriously?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ronaldo is 33 though.

Barca spent more than 110m in Coutinho and Dembele. Pogba is better than both, in addition to having more commercial value.

It should be a Neymar-like fee for us to even reply to their email.
I get what you are saying but that's not Pogba's value, he isn't that good, you wouldn't purchase him for that price, you probably wouldn't do it for 110m. As for Neymar we need to remember that it's not a negotiated fee, Mbappé would be a better example but PSG are crazy.

littlepeasoup

1. Nothing obvious about it, no.
2. Agree.
3. He never moved to City, or came out publicly saying he wanted to move.
4. Nothing you've argued proves anything.
5. Yeah, because it's not like we already have a shedload of money to begin with, as you said yourself in your last sentence.

walsh

So many unfounded 'obviouslys'

Which club is signing world class players without paying top whack?

Smores

Di marzio is pretty reliable mate.
Di Marzio has only put his name to the bid no? It's the shitty tabloids coming up with the backstory of Pogba wanting away. They'll have been scrambling to get anything out, they don't know shit

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
These ones.

I'm with you on that hope, it's just a case of seeing out the storm right now, and we always knew that getting in bed with Raiola was dangerous business.
There's absolutely no quote in that whatsoever dude, the headline is a pure fabrication. I also love their "sources close to Pogba confirm this is all true" bit. I bet their close sources are two blokes who once met him in a restaurant five years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.