Did we sell anyone? Big summer fire sale (supposedly)

Orange Tree

If Saudi is throwing money around, surely we could interest them in some of our own players we want to offload, like Martial, Telles, and Baily.

reddevilz007

We want top dollars for players that are regressing. Even the Saudis or the MLS don’t want our players.

crossy1686

career ending
Expect we’ll start moving players on after the tour. I’m sure the manager has told a bunch they’re not in his plans but they’ll want to stay and fight for their place, who wants to leave United for a Fulham or West Ham?

Then they’ll get the hint when they don’t start or get 10 minutes over preseason, and more importantly clubs that can’t land their priority targets will start to get desperate and make offers.

Teams like Brighton for example would rather scour South America to land someone they can sell later on for a big fee, you can’t exactly do that with McTomminay or Bailly.

TheLord

Agree we should push hard for best price for Fred, but he needs to leave, if we get 10M or more for him I would be delighted. Can’t watch his sloppiness and apologising any more. I would also like to see us being a bit more aggressive in getting others out the door.
Watch us extending his contract midway into the next season.

croadyman

If Saudi is throwing money around, surely we could interest them in some of our own players we want to offload, like Martial, Telles, and Baily.
Yeah wish they would help us out like we have seen with all those Chelsea ones

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We want top dollars for players that are regressing. Even the Saudis or the MLS don’t want our players.
Our recruitment team have created a perfect storm.
Overpaid for players, that we now want an unrealistic fee for.
Overpaying players, that won't get offered anything like the salary United pay.

Hence, clubs can't afford our players, and the players don't wan't to leave.

croadyman

Our recruitment team have created a perfect storm.
Overpaid for players, that we now want an unrealistic fee for.
Overpaying players, that won't get offered anything like the salary United pay.

Hence, clubs can't afford our players, and the players don't wan't to leave.
Yep that's why we are in limbo on sales

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Fred not making the squad as we're "managing his workload", definitely getting sold.

Gandalf

Yet many dreamers on here seem to think that we should charge more for our dead wood
A lot of that is based on the prices we have paid and the remaining amoritization of those transfer fees and contracts. It has been reported that if we sell Maguire for 27M we only break even and so anything below that would actually reduce the budget for new signings, the Sancho situation is even worse as we only signed him two years ago and so the remaining monies owed should we sell him is around 60M and we are never getting anything close to that for him at this stage.

Borussia Teeth

A lot of that is based on the prices we have paid and the remaining amoritization of those transfer fees and contracts. It has been reported that if we sell Maguire for 27M we only break even and so anything below that would actually reduce the budget for new signings, the Sancho situation is even worse as we only signed him two years ago and so the remaining monies owed should we sell him is around 60M and we are never getting anything close to that for him at this stage.
I understand that but there are many idiots on here saying we should get 40m for Maguire, 40m for McTominay, 20m for Fred (last contract year) 20m for Elanga etc. I want what they're smoking.

Gandalf

I understand that but there are many idiots on here saying we should get 40m for Maguire, 40m for McTominay, 20m for Fred (last contract year) 20m for Elanga etc. I want what they're smoking.
As one of the idiots saying we should not drop our valuation of Fred from 20M I would point out that 56 appearances last year demonstrates that he is not deadwood and therefore we don't have to jump at the first offer we receive. I think the 10M mentioned by Fulham is too low but we could certainly negotiate from our ask of 20M and meet somewhere in the middle, we just should not be pushovers and fall for their poor penniless little Fulham routine.

The others you mention I do think we will drop the prices on and despite the negative financial implications I would advocate taking a hit on Maguire to get him out of the door as I feel he has the potential to become a massive distraction. Erik needs to be extremely blunt and make clear that he will not be getting any minutes this season if he doesn't move on.

I think with our homegrown talent it is more a case of establishing a starting point for negotiations, these are the deals that can really impact our FFP situation and give us the flexibility to make more signings of our own in this market. Elanga for 20M may seem a bit high but he has a fair bit of PL and International experience and City are selling kids straight out of their academy for fees in the 15M range so why undervalue our assets?

Don't get me wrong, the true deadwood needs to be gone and so the likes of Bailly, Telles et al should be moved on for anything we can get.

Borussia Teeth

As one of the idiots saying we should not drop our valuation of Fred from 20M I would point out that 56 appearances last year demonstrates that he is not deadwood and therefore we don't have to jump at the first offer we receive. I think the 10M mentioned by Fulham is too low but we could certainly negotiate from our ask of 20M and meet somewhere in the middle, we just should not be pushovers and fall for their poor penniless little Fulham routine.

The others you mention I do think we will drop the prices on and despite the negative financial implications I would advocate taking a hit on Maguire to get him out of the door as I feel he has the potential to become a massive distraction. Erik needs to be extremely blunt and make clear that he will not be getting any minutes this season if he doesn't move on.

I think with our homegrown talent it is more a case of establishing a starting point for negotiations, these are the deals that can really impact our FFP situation and give us the flexibility to make more signings of our own in this market. Elanga for 20M may seem a bit high but he has a fair bit of PL and International experience and City are selling kids straight out of their academy for fees in the 15M range so why undervalue our assets?

Don't get me wrong, the true deadwood needs to be gone and so the likes of Bailly, Telles et al should be moved on for anything we can get.
Apologies if I'm coming across as a dick calling people idiots.

Regarding Fred: I'm not sure how many players Fulham have purchased for 20m or above. I doubt it's many and I bet they're younger than 30 and have longer than a year on their contract. Also not sure how many Fulham players are on around 120k pw. Again, I doubt it's very many. If Saudi come in for him, fine, hold out for a high offer.

I agree with you on Maguire. Get rid!

I don't think we should compare ourselves with City in terms of selling youngsters. Their deals seem shady to me.

We've tried holding out for unrealistic valuations in the past with the likes of Lingard, Rojo, Darmian, Romero and got nothing. We extended Bailly a couple of years ago to sell. We have probably paid him more in wages during that time than whatever transfers fee he will provide.

I don't think we should be continuing to make the same mistakes.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Hopefully, Donny and Fred soon follow, giving us some spending power. Then sort out the baggage in defence.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Big summer fire sale is apt because we've managed to raise £1.6 million so far. This club is now RICH.

Jeffthered

He’s a regular for the Brazilian national team and a solid PL player, average at best is bollocks. Fulham would do well to bring him in for £20m. It’s about time we started commanding higher fees for our players, we can’t just let everyone go for peanuts.
Fred is a player of average talent. He would not excel in any Premiership team, or make them look any better. Being an international means v little in some cases. You can be average and play international football. Plenty players have and continue to.

Jeffthered

I do worry about the season ahead. Teams are already playing pre-season friendlies and the Charity Shield is in less than a month. Do I feel we are ready to kick-on next season with the current squad? No. I'm quite worried and I hope ETH, Coaching staff and the people who oversee transfers know what they are doing because we haven't much time.

Kingofwinners

By that logic we should have kept DeGea and probably Weghorst !! The obsession with defending Fred just baffles me. He is not good enough full stop, his bad games are shocking, he is not a reliable squad player. Last thing we need is him coming off the bench kicking people, making mad misses with passes and grinning from ear to ear with hand up apologising.

If we have any ambition we need him out of the building and any cash we get is a bonus. Same is true for Maguire but we might have a better chance getting a higher fee for him.

Gandalf

By that logic we should have kept DeGea and probably Weghorst !! The obsession with defending Fred just baffles me. He is not good enough full stop, his bad games are shocking, he is not a reliable squad player. Last thing we need is him coming off the bench kicking people, making mad misses with passes and grinning from ear to ear with hand up apologising.
Don't think I defended him anywhere. Every transfer is a negotiation and yet people are all over this thread screaming that we have to take the first bid we get for any of our players and I recognize some of those posters as the same people who moan on and on about us being crap at getting value when we sell.

A current Brazilian international who played 56 times for a team that qualified for the CL last season has a higher value on the market than 10M. We can haggle and negotiate, just as happened to us with Mount and currently Onana, and if we end up at something like 14M with 2M in add ons then it was surely worth going through the process.

We will always be viewed as pushovers if we keep acting like it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldn't even entertain selling Fred for less then £15m.

Total package with add-ons should be £20m, and they'll be getting a cracking player for that value.

lex talionis

I do worry about the season ahead. Teams are already playing pre-season friendlies and the Charity Shield is in less than a month. Do I feel we are ready to kick-on next season with the current squad? No. I'm quite worried and I hope ETH, Coaching staff and the people who oversee transfers know what they are doing because we haven't much time.
I really wouldn't worry about the season ahead. We'll of course have our ups and downs and of course we're in no way a lock for a top four spot, but we have a manager who knows what's he's doing and he's already made a significant improvement in midfield. The keeper situation isn't sorted yet but it will be...soon. I wish we were the favorite for the PL title but we're not and so there's no point in worrying about that.

Every PL opponent is a potential knife fight but our first three fixtures are pretty manageable. Circle August 19 as that's our away fixture at Spurs, so we need to get past that date before we can even think about Harry possibly coming to OT. Once the transfer window closes on September 1 we can worry about what we may have failed to accomplish.

kaku06

Vulgarian
Hope to God with the sale of Elanga things start to get going. Need to ship out Mctom, Fred, Maguire, Vdb, Henderson. Doubtful about Arry though. But even the sale of others should fetch us around 100m. No?

Alemar

Hope to God with the sale of Elanga things start to get going. Need to ship out Mctom, Fred, Maguire, Vdb, Henderson.
Also Williams, Bailly, Alex Telles and at least one (or two) of Kovar/Bishop/Vitek

doomy20

Yeah we will probably „close in“ and „hold positive talks“ on this for 4 weeks now, then we‘ll know more.

Don‘t sign up Sabitzer and then let Fred go for bargain? No thanks, we‘ll have worse depth in CM than last year.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
So apparently Bailly, Fred, Donny, Henderson, Elanga and Telles are up for sale right now. Maguire, Martial, Sancho and Mctominay will be considered if really good offers come in but aren't actively up for sale.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So apparently Bailly, Fred, Donny, Henderson, Elanga and Telles are up for sale right now. Maguire, Martial, Sancho and Mctominay will be considered if really good offers come in but aren't actively up for sale.
Except Sancho they all should go. After today's news about our FFP, we need money from sales for striker.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Except Sancho they all should go. After today's news about our FFP, we need money from sales for striker.
If a tempting enough offer came in, like £60M, I would sell Sancho too.

Knowing our history selling players, I will very suprised if we sell six... and that's with the help of the Saudi buyers.

doomy20

If a tempting enough offer came in, like £60M, I would sell Sancho too.

Knowing our history selling players, I will very suprised if we sell six... and that's with the help of the Saudi buyers.
Sancho is in decline ever since he left BVB, gotta be a lunatic to buy him know for that kind of money

Zed is not dead

Today’s news about our FFP has nothing to do with our current or projected FFP situation, but with the accounting of Covid related losses.

Also I don’t think we should sell all of Elanga, Henderson and McTominay as we still need to register homegrown players, and replacing them with English players would prove too costly.

I’d let go of Fred, DvB, Telles and Bailly in priority. I think only Fred can generate enough interest from these 4. Good offers are likely to come for Henderson and Elanga so I’d let them go too.