Did we sell anyone? Big summer fire sale (supposedly)

Gandalf

Also Williams, Bailly, Alex Telles and at least one (or two) of Kovar/Bishop/Vitek
Agree with the outfield players but of the Keepers I would only sell Bishop at this point as Sunderland are interested and he is not the level we need whilst Vitek is a little early to call. I actually think Kovar could be a future starter here, I would only consider selling Kovar for a really good fee, Trafford is allegedly going for 22M Euros and that would be the minimum and I would want a healthy sell on and a buy back clause.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are we still on course for the 100-120m of sales numerous posters reckoned?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Today’s news about our FFP has nothing to do with our current or projected FFP situation, but with the accounting of Covid related losses.

Also I don’t think we should sell all of Elanga, Henderson and McTominay as we still need to register homegrown players, and replacing them with English players would prove too costly.

I’d let go of Fred, DvB, Telles and Bailly in priority. I think only Fred can generate enough interest from these 4. Good offers are likely to come for Henderson and Elanga so I’d let them go too.
You don't need to have 8 homegrown literally. You can register 17 non homegrown players and fill 8 spots with 8 random kids if you want.
We have Rashy, AWB, Mount, Shaw and Sancho as homegrowns. Soon Garnacho.
So we are fine regarding that.

Kingofwinners

Don't think I defended him anywhere. Every transfer is a negotiation and yet people are all over this thread screaming that we have to take the first bid we get for any of our players and I recognize some of those posters as the same people who moan on and on about us being crap at getting value when we sell.

A current Brazilian international who played 56 times for a team that qualified for the CL last season has a higher value on the market than 10M. We can haggle and negotiate, just as happened to us with Mount and currently Onana, and if we end up at something like 14M with 2M in add ons then it was surely worth going through the process.

We will always be viewed as pushovers if we keep acting like it.
That’s a very fair and wise point, I just want to see the squad improve. But I agree completely being smarter in the executing of transfers is crucial too.

croadyman

Will start to get worried if we don't get some movement after signing Onana, Mount & ST (god knows when)

Von Mistelroum

Are we still on course for the 100-120m of sales numerous posters reckoned?
Some people genuinely said £200m. We can't sell the majority of our deadwood not because of extortionate wages, but because we've bought absolute garbage over recent years. Who really expects players like Martial and Maguire to improve their team? We're lumbered with these lads because we paid crazy money and in some cases renewed contracts of players who were nowhere near the required level and never will be.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The issues as well is the carrying value of the asset of the player that is held on the statement of financial position, when those asset values are held against debt/ loans, under the Glazers we cannot afford to sell them below the book price as we will have to show a loss through the P&L further affecting FFP despite bringing in cash..

No excuse when it comes to Mctominay and other HG players or those that have signed a new contract as they would have been amortised in full and their transfer fee no longer held as security against any liability.

buckooo1978

surprised and disappointed there has been no interest in the likes of Maguire and others from Saudi clubs

Reddevildans

It's the perennial problem. We will sell players eventually I believe. But not the exodus everyone expects every single summer. We're simply not ruthless enough and nobody rates our players highly after flopping here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
surprised and disappointed there has been no interest in the likes of Maguire and others from Saudi clubs
It feels even worse than the China spell where they were booting mad sums and wages.
Chelsea and now Liverpool look like they're using it to great effect.

But these clubs won't pay that high a fee, most of their money is going into the wages.
So I suppose the surprise is some of our boys don't want to triple their already silly wages and move there.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It feels even worse than the China spell where they were booting mad sums and wages.

But these clubs won't pay that high a fee, most of their money is going into the wages.
So I suppose the surprise is some of our boys don't want to triple their already silly wages and move there.
It is not surprise really. Some of our players loving easy life. Wage is coming on time, they must come on training and sometimes be on the bench and that is it.

Cathy Ferguson

Elanga and Henderson might fetch 20-25m. Fred 8m and that is it. Maguire and Sancho impossible to sell and not much point in selling McTominay since we need to buy a replacement.

buckooo1978

40m for an aging Fabinho was crazy I thought

We sell him for 15m most likely

sunama

Baghdad Bob
It is not surprise really. Some of our players loving easy life. Wage is coming on time, they must come on training and sometimes be on the bench and that is it.
...and that's the issue right there.
We have players who are not good enough, yet we continue to hang onto these deadwood players.
I said before the transfer window opened, that this is what will happen.
If the Qatari's take over, it'll be a different story. Those guys are ruthless and if you are not good enough, you'll be let go.
Under the Glazers, the aim is to make 4th place - that's it. And even with the deadwood, we can do that.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
40m for an aging Fabinho was crazy I thought

We sell him for 15m most likely
We'd let Fabinho go on a free. LFC will get a decent amount for him.
The issue we have is that the people who buy/sell players at our club are completely incompetent at their job and should be replaced.

Bondi77

Elanga and Henderson might fetch 20-25m. Fred 8m and that is it. Maguire and Sancho impossible to sell and not much point in selling McTominay since we need to buy a replacement.
If Fabinho is going for 40mil then Fred would have to be the same as he is a current starter for Brazil...I know he is'nt but if that is the price they are paying.

KD6-3.7

I always chuckle when I remember seeing posts on here saying how much money we’ll get from selling the likes of Martial, Maguire, McTominay, Fred ect…like even if we were able to sell them which we currently seem incapable of doing but we’d be lucky to get even half of what people were saying we’d get. Most will be loaned out with us still paying half their wages.

Teja

I always chuckle when I remember seeing posts on here saying how much money we’ll get from selling the likes of Martial, Maguire, McTominay, Fred ect…like even if we were able to sell them which we currently seem incapable of doing but we’d be lucky to get even half of what people were saying we’d get. Most will be loaned out with us still paying half their wages.
Yeah but there's something wrong when Chelsea have the season that they did and are still able to sell their dross (Jorginho, Havertz, RLC, Koulibaly, Pulisic) for far more than what we're able to get. McT, Fred are easily worth more than RLC. Same with Maguire / Koulibaly. Mendy is pure money laundering, so whatever.

Based on their business, we should at least be able to raise 20M each for McFred + 30M for Maguire.

Eugenius

We should be selling the obvious deadwood first - Bailly, Telles, VDB and Elanga (not same boat but not getting any minutes). Players who if they go, we don't need to replace. If we can get £40m for those four and £30m for Henderson then we will have basically funded a striker.

Cathy Ferguson

We should be selling the obvious deadwood first - Bailly, Telles, VDB and Elanga (not same boat but not getting any minutes). Players who if they go, we don't need to replace. If we can get £40m for those four and £30m for Henderson then we will have basically funded a striker.
Bailly, Telles and Donny will generate no more than 10m combined. Elanga 10-15m, Henderson 15-20m. Might get us Höjlund at 40m without the add-ons.

Eugenius

Bailly, Telles and Donny will generate no more than 10m combined. Elanga 10-15m, Henderson 15-20m. Might get us Höjlund at 40m without the add-ons.
Telles is in the Brazil squad and just started the Europa final. Elanga is a Swedish international wanted by several clubs. I think we'd get £30m for both and with a little fortune maybe a few million for Donny and Bailly. Henderson is being talked as £30m.

Wouldn't be surprised if we screw it up though.

Cathy Ferguson

Telles is in the Brazil squad and just started the Europa final. Elanga is a Swedish international wanted by several clubs. I think we'd get £30m for both and with a little fortune maybe a few million for Donny and Bailly. Henderson is being talked as £30m.

Not even the Saudis will pay 15m for Telles, never mind 30m. A lot of fans will be disappointed this summer. I will be positively surprised if we generate more than 40m in sales in this window: Henderson, Elanga, Telles, Fred and Donny.

daba

Not even the Saudis will pay 15m for Telles, never mind 30m. A lot of fans will be disappointed this summer. I will be positively surprised if we generate more than 40m in sales in this window: Henderson, Elanga, Telles, Fred and Donny.
Think he meant 30m combined (eg. 20m for Elanga + 10m for Telles).

Jacob

My view at this moment in time:

Already gone:

Jones
DDG
Iqbal
Chong

Highly likely outgoing:

Elanga
Telles
Henderson
Tuanzebe

Less likely outgoings:

Maguire
Fred
Scott
Bailly (maybe released)

Getting rid of 4-5 more would be awesome, with little to no impact on the squad.

Last edited:

Mickson

Already gone:

Jones
DDG
Iqbal
Chong

Highly likely outgoing:

Elanga
Telles
Henderson
Tuanzebe

Less likely outgoings:

Maguire
Fred
Scott
Bailly (maybe released)

Getting rid of 4-5 more would be awesome, with little to no impact on the squad.
Chong left years ago, Tuanzebe is already gone, Bailly is under contract so can't be released.

Varun1

Ever thought how many average players make their national team? Doesn't mean they're all worthy of a big transfer fee.

daba

Already gone:

Jones
DDG
Iqbal
Chong

Highly likely outgoing:

Elanga
Telles
Henderson
Tuanzebe

Less likely outgoings:

Maguire
Fred
Scott
Bailly (maybe released)

Bailly and Telles didn’t turn up to training so I think they are both more or less certs to go.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Gone:
Jones - free
De Gea - free
Iqbal - 1m
Chong - 1m (sell-on clause)

Current transfer income: 2m

Likely:
Henderson - 20m?
Elanga - 15-20m?
Telles - 10-15m?
Bailly - ?
Tuanzebe - ?

Likely transfer income: 50m

Possibly:
Maguire - 25-30m
Mctominay - 25-30m

Possible transfer income: 100m

Hopefully:
VDB - 15-20m?
Williams - 10-15m?

Wishful transfer income: 125m

Eugenius

Ever thought how many average players make their national team? Doesn't mean they're all worthy of a big transfer fee.
We live in a world where unproven youngsters like Nico Williams are going for £20m. We got £15m for Garner, we should be at least getting £20m for Elanga who has shown more in the PL and regularly plays for Sweden.

I can see why perma crocks and players out of favour/form for a while (Donny, Bailly) won't fetch much. But Telles and Elanga should actually fetch reasonable £.

Bogga

Gone:
Jones - free
De Gea - free
Iqbal - 1m

Likely:
Henderson - 20m?
Elanga - 15-20m?
Telles - 10-15m?
Bailly - ?
Tuanzebe - ?

Possibly:
Maguire - 25-30m
Mctominay - 25-30m

Hopefully:
VDB - 15-20m?
Williams - 10-15m?

Hopefully this... and we sign Höjlund, Amrabat and allow some youngsters like Hannibal and Amad get some game time. Perhaps even let Mainoo get a minute or two here and there...

I would see this as a perfect summer... now I don't know if our incoming transfers will be a success or if the youngsters will step up. But that's my view on it

Borussia Teeth

I know mate. This (very commonly over used on here) argument pains me. I see it all over the Fred and Maguire discussions.

If I'm an Owner/chairman/DOF/Head of Recruitment/Manager etc, I don't care where a player is from or whether his national team coach rates him or not. I would only be concerned about getting the best deal for my club. Such a pointless argument when discussing transfer fees.

Plastic Evra

I know it's an old story by now but intentionally gaming & leveraging calls to the national team as a way to inflate a player's value is not unheard of either.

I don't think it's entirely value-less but bar purple patches in the World Cup putting a player center-stage I'm not sure it really sells.

Insofar United is a bad seller I think the issue probably lies elsewhere and on a more systemic level (high wages and trying to ship off deadwood players that have too little minutes and appear stagnating / regressing).

I suspect a lot of the actual deadwood players may only be moved late in the window on loans (or released).

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the club sells for over 60m£ in combined value, to be quite honest.

Betson

It really is an indictment of our recruitment over the years that there is such a lack of interest in our players from other clubs. We will end up paying clubs to take some of them off our hands.

Gandalf

Gone:
Jones - free
De Gea - free
Iqbal - 1m

Likely:
Henderson - 20m?
Elanga - 15-20m?
Telles - 10-15m?
Bailly - ?
Tuanzebe - ?

Possibly:
Maguire - 25-30m
Mctominay - 25-30m

Hopefully:
VDB - 15-20m?
Williams - 10-15m?

Hate to break it to you but Tuanzebe left on a free and even allowing for that he is more likely to bring in 15-20M than VDB. Donny will only leave on a loan at this point I fear, 3 years of minimal football with a few injury issues sprinkled in as well and it would be negligent of any club to pay a transfer fee at this stage. Best bet might be a loan in Serie A and hope he rebuilds his value enough to generate a fee in 2024.