Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Just because a few people have an unpalatable debate in the middle of a thread, doesn't mean the thread is bad. Most are saying what a legend etc. For me the best ever RIP

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This debate between Maradona and Messi, isn't even a debate. Not only did Maradona inspire Argentina to the World Cup, but, during his time at Naples, they won the league twice, the first and second time they ever won it. The other 2 years they were second.

Messi's achievements don't even begin to match up to that.
It most definitely is a debate, as is evident from the, erm, debate.

Plenty of people within the game itself pick Messi. Sir Alex in fact did so due to Maradona's shorter peak as compared to Messi whose consistency (like Ronaldos) is absurd as are his numbers.

I don't claim to know the greatest ever is, but Messi is comfortably the best I've seen and I don't see how any player can be that good for there to be "no debate" Vs Messi. Better, sure, everyone can have differing views. That's fine.

Last edited:

IFC 1905

To me is as clear as day that Messi is the best ever and Maradona the Greatest.

and It's even more clear the fact that it will be almost impossible to be greater than Diego, as a character, as a person with such charisma, with such a quick mind to reply and to understand everything. And adding to that that he's also one of the best ever inside of the pitch.

Many remember the bad parts of his life outside the pitch, but he was actually a very generous person, he helped many people and most of all, he always stood for the players, defending them. That's why every player loves him so much, I mean those who shared times with him. I remember that story about him organizing a charity match for a kid that was sick in Naples. The Club didn't want to offer their stadium for it, so he went on and played in a pitch in the suburbs, warming up in a parking lot. They didn't reach the amount of money the kid required for his surgery or treatment, and he decided to donate the rest. He played in a moody pitch and played as if it was a Serie A game.

There was Diego, and there was Maradona. But in order to judge Maradona you must be a poor kid from the slums who suddenly become the most famous person in the world and become a prisoner of that fame, not being able to walk on the streets normally or doing anything normally.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
You can’t compare Maradona to Messi.

Different generations and they’re both in the top 2-3 players in them.

The debate to be had, is how great Diego would have been in today’s game?

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
You can’t compare Maradona to Messi.

Different generations and they’re both in the top 2-3 players in them.

The debate to be had, is how great Diego would have been in today’s game?
So you say you can't compare players in 2 different generations and then go on to ask how a player would perform in 2 different generations?

You can't have it both ways, make your mind up!

My point was that Maradona was an inspiration to his international teammates and was the reason Napoli won anything at all.

Messi's career at international level pales next to that of Maradona. Messi's club career can only be compared to Ronaldo's, but could he have inspired Stoke to be PL champions?

amolbhatia50k

So you say you can't compare players in 2 different generations and then go on to ask how a player would perform in 2 different generations?

You can't have it both ways, make your mind up!

My point was that Maradona was an inspiration to his international teammates and was the reason Napoli won anything at all.

Messi's career at international level pales next to that of Maradona. Messi's club career can only be compared to Ronaldo's, but could he have inspired Stoke to be PL champions?
:lol: Maradona and Pele together wouldn't have made this happen

amolbhatia50k

Naples won the league twice and came 2nd twice and also won in Europe. That was largely down to one man.
And Hellas Veronas also won Serie A in those years. It's a great achievement for Napoli, the team, Maradona their star player, but it was a different era and league. He wouldn't be guiding Stoke to any titles.

And Napoli weren't a nothing club either. Finished 3rd and 4th five years prior. 2nd and 3rd in the decade prior.

Terrific achievement for the club and Maradona as a player but it's not the same as taking Stoke and Bolton to beat Livepool and United to the league imo

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
I accept some people think he was a legend, but to me wasn't close to Cruyff or Pele - and Ronaldo is streaks ahead
i don't care how old you claim to be, this is one of the most embarrassing posts in the entire history of the caf

Red00012

Just after reading the funeral workers who took the pictures of him in his coffin have been murdered by the Boca Ultras . Job done then.
Diego was a god not just a football player
Fake news

John Keiler

Enjoy your ban
The day you have the power to enforce a ban will be the day I start worrying.
Well I have been drinking... :lol:
Also, I would take Maradona's 60 years of excess, ecstasy and adulation over some random existence. Heck, I'd take 60 years just to see my country lift the World Cup, nevermind winning the bloody thing as a captain and then sniffing yourself into oblivion after. Sounds like a fecking dream.

You're the one here, giving it the bigg'un, telling us you'll never forgive him whenever you're just a grain of sand on the Atlantic ocean, he didn't even know who the hell you were when you were a spec of dust, now that he's dead, where does that leave you in his estimation. I know one thing, he lived rent free in your head for 30+ years.
I presume that was meant to be a question. If so, I can only answer that I am alive and able to post on here, which he cannot.

And I did see my country win a World Cup. I had to watch it at a friends house. Neither of us sniffed ourselves into oblivion as I remember, but we were both 9 years old, so I may have forgotten.

John Keiler

Can I just ask all these lovers/fans of Mr Maradona whether they agree with the use of drugs when performing?

He admitted to it.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
Can I just ask all these lovers/fans of Mr Maradona whether they agree with the use of drugs when performing?

He admitted to it.
Looks like i was wrong, ''Mr Maradona'' wasn't living rent free for 34 years in just the head of Peter Shilton...:lol:

RUCK4444

BBC showing a recap of the 86 WC now.

As well as Maradona, you get a good Brazil team, a good France team (just coming to the end), the best Belgium team before now, an ok Italy team, a good Germany team.. some really good games in that WC too.

One of my favourite tournaments
Yeah watched it, really good watch.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

He admitted to it.
He used ephedrine to lose weight. It didn't enhance his performance. Also he was coked up to the gills whilst ripping up Serie A. Cocaine can cause respiratory problems and thus affect fitness. I'm impressed he was any use at all, let alone being the best player in the league.

John Keiler

He used ephedrine to lose weight. It didn't enhance his performance. Also he was coked up to the gills whilst ripping up Serie A. Cocaine can cause respiratory problems and thus affect fitness. I'm impressed he was any use at all, let alone being the best player in the league.
Cocaine is not a performance enhancer?

John Keiler

You do realise that Ephidrine is amphetamine do you not? I like the fact that you you are impressed that a man up to his eyes on various types of speed who broke all the rules, but 'played well is some kind of hero figure'. I do hope you do not have children or anyone else that looks to you for any kind of guidance. I presume you find Ben Johnson a hero figure too.

Cocaine is actually a respiratory and vasodilatory stimulant when used in correct medicinal quantities and not taken as a recreational drug. I have given it many times as a precursor to nasal surgery and have never noticed any respiratory problems at all.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
You do realise that Ephidrine is amphetamine do you not? I like the fact that you you are impressed that a man up to his eyes on various types of speed who broke all the rules, but 'played well is some kind of hero figure'. I do hope you do not have children or anyone else that looks to you for any kind of guidance. I presume you find Ben Johnson a hero figure too.

Cocaine is actually a respiratory and vasodilatory stimulant when used in correct medicinal quantities and not taken as a recreational drug. I have given it many times as a precursor to nasal surgery and have never noticed any respiratory problems at all.
Seriously
get out of this thread

John Keiler

Looks like i was wrong, ''Mr Maradona'' wasn't living rent free for 34 years in just the head of Peter Shilton...:lol:
Three or four others have used that totally redundant phrase already and they have not looked or sounded clever either. If you wish to insult me, then invent your own material, not copy other brain dead idiots who are defending a self confessed drug cheat.

Paxi

I'm done talking to you. You just make shit up as you go along. I worry for your patients because I genuinely think you don't have a clue. Cocaine a performance enhancer? Good grief.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardi...7/13/58/the-cardiovascular-effects-of-cocaine

Paxi

Seriously
get out of this thread
Maradona must have taken a dump right in his hotel room straight after putting England to the sword back in 86. Only reason I can think of as to why he's so bloody obsessed with him.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Maradona must have taken a dump right in his hotel room straight after putting England to the sword back in 86. Only reason I can think of as to why he's so bloody obsessed with him.
he has other threads to threw up against maradona, but he decides to do it in the RIP one

talking about an elephant in a bazaar

Last edited: