Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That's what I heard

That's kind of why I wasn't sad. He knows the consequences of this lifestyle and I kind of respect his choice.
Well I agree in some way. I mean I was sad but I think he was an absolute rock star from start to finish and all power to him.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

For a footballer raised in poverty on the streets with so many personal issues, he had amazing intellect and wit really. Imagine Harry Kane's response to something like that.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking hell he lived life in the fast lane.

Sweet Square

For a footballer raised in poverty on the streets with so many personal issues, he had amazing intellect and wit really. Imagine Harry Kane's response to something like that.
Fan - ''Maradona you're more holy than the Pope''

Maradona - ''That's not saying much''

:lol:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
The result was 2-2 and the goal came in extra-time. It doesn't matter who had the better team, it is impossible to say what would of happened if the goal was not counted.
The same way it's impossible to say who would have won in 1986, if the "hand of god" wasn't counted.
The question was about who was much better. England was.

The rest is..well...meaningless

Acole9

Outstanding
I agree with this, Shilton has been banging on about it since Maradona passed. He comes across as a bitter, heartless twat. Almost as bad as our fanbase crying still after Sunderland fans took the piss out of us when we lost the title to City.

JSArsenal

Does anyone find it strange that Maradona was 60?

I simultaneously felt that he was younger and older than that at the same time. In some ways he felt ageless and in others quite ancient.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It's mental looking at this after getting used to modern rules.

And he had to put up with that in pretty much every match he played.

Last edited:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Re: the violent treatment he regularly faced on the pitch, I have endless respect for that guy. What a footballer.

Brophs

The One and Only
The worst thing about the handball was when Maradona sat down beside Richard Dunne after the game and gave it the whole 'I know. It's terrible. I'm as gutted about it as you are."

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's mental looking at this after getting used to modern rules.

And he had to put up with that in pretty every match he played.
Thanks @Sweet Square , I saw three Elbows of Satan in his face or his head. And two career ending tackles. Just in that QF game alone. England cheating their way to the semi finals, thankfully for world football their disgusting plans were undone.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Thanks @Sweet Square , I saw three Elbows of Satan in his face or his head. And two career ending tackles. Just in that QF game alone. England cheating their way to the semi finals, thankfully for world football their disgusting plans were undone.
I don't know how Terry Fenwick wasn't sent off... the elbow was a straight red card.

Then again, I don't know what Terry Fenwick was doing playing for England in the first place.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Guess what, death isn't pretty. Most die from horrible diseases etc. I don't know Maradona, personally. Obviously. But, I'm sure that if he had the chance to live his life again he'd live exact same way.
He was regretful of his cocaine abuse.

Bondi77

Re: the violent treatment he regularly faced on the pitch, I have endless respect for that guy. What a footballer.
The 82 World Cup he was assaulted on a regular basis but he definitely took some revenge when he was sent off.

MikeeMike

I didn't feel sad about his death because he lived his life the way he preferred. He had great impact on the world and lived as a Legend. He no doubt had a lot of fun and was revered as a Godlike figure.

His death is a celebration of his life
My thoughts exactly. We were honoured to see pure genius.

I always remember Lineker speaking about him in the warm up and how he hoofed a ball high in the air and just controlled it like nothing he had seen... RIP

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
The 82 World Cup he was assaulted on a regular basis but he definitely took some revenge when he was sent off.
He dished out himself for sure, seen a number of nasty scenes from him. Still, what I meant is the sheer brilliance he managed to produce in spite of the treatment he received. Beyond his unbelievable balance, skill, brains, he also had plenty of pace, power, and resilience.

Bondi77

He dished out himself for sure, seen a number of nasty scenes from him. Still, what I meant is the sheer brilliance he managed to produce in spite of the treatment he received. Beyond his unbelievable balance, skill, brains, he also had plenty of pace, power, and resilience.
He had it all, I think we are lucky to see a player like Diego in our lifetime.

Ladron de redcafe

The scariest thing about how good Maradona was is the fact that he still might be the consensus greatest footballer ever despite playing in the roughest era of football ever, and in the most defensively inclined league.

Leave aside the fact that many of the tackles that he would find himself on the receiving end of would be automatic red cards in today's game. The very threat of those tackles was a detterent to many strikers. In the back of their minds, the thought of a defender lunging at them with studs was always there because the defenders could do that with impunity. As such, there's a natural trepidation ingrained in attacking players that would attentuate their offensive aggressiveness.

For those who champion Messi (or anyone else from the modern era) as a greater player, consider the fact that the modern players know they can't be touched. Defenders get sent off for anything that is remotely violent and as such, attacking players could play direct and aggressive all the time, without worrying ahout tackles.

In a sense, today's players are kickboxers fighting MMA fighters under kickboxing rules. They would feel comfortable walking down their MMA opponents as the rules check the takedown threat. They're boxers fighting others with no knockout threat and can stay on the inside instead. It changes the nature of the sport.

Formation changes and offensive dispositions in the modern game are one thing, but the rules are the biggest factor in changing the way the sport is played. Maradona played back when the sport was a defensive grindfest. He played played on some of the worst pitches ever and was on the receiving end of some of the worst tackles ever, and despite that, is still considered by many the greatest footballer ever.

How much greater would he be viewed had he had less opppressive conditions and better pitches, balls, equipment?

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The scariest thing about how good Maradona was is the fact that he still might be the consensus greatest footballer ever despite playing in the roughest era of football ever, and in the most defensively inclined league.

Leave aside the fact that many of the tackles that he would find himself on the receiving end of would be automatic red cards in today's game. The very threat of those tackles was a detterent to many strikers. In the back of their minds, the thought of a defender lunging at them with studs was always there because the defenders could do that with impunity. As such, there's a natural trepidation ingrained in attacking players that would attentuate their offensive aggressiveness.

For those who champion Messi (or anyone else from the modern era) as a greater player, consider the fact that the modern players know they can't be touched. Defenders get sent off for anything that is remotely violent and as such, attacking players could play direct and aggressive all the time, without worrying ahout tackles.

In a sense, today's players are kickboxers fighting MMA fighters under kickboxing rules. They would feel comfortable walking down their MMA opponents as the rules check the takedown threat. They're boxers fighting others with no knockout threat and can stay on the inside instead. It changes the nature of the sport.

Formation changes and offensive dispositions in the modern game are one thing, but the rules are the biggest factor in changing the way the sport is played. Maradona played back when the sport was a defensive grindfest. He played played on some of the worst pitches ever and was on the receiving end of some of the worst tackles ever, and despite that, is still considered by many the greatest footballer ever.

How much greater would he be viewed had he had less opppressive conditions and better pitches, balls, equipment?
Was it really more brutal than previous eras? I remember reading about the treatment Pele had to endure, being kicked all over the pitch. Racism played a part in that, too.

It's really tough to compare between eras. Yes, those things made life harder for attacking players but nowadays defenses are much, much better organized and teams are generelly well drilled in possession. They offer less space and make it way harder for underdogs. Based on those factors we'll never be able to tell how much better or worse a player might have done at another time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Great players would be able to deal with any era. I've seen Messi and Ronaldo treated horribly and it only makes them compete fiercer and stronger. Champions and the absolute greatest players will be be so in any era. This roughness angle only impacts fitness and the "myth". See Ronaldo when he's booed or targeted. He reacts superbly. See Messi aged 16 against Juve or in all the classicos. Getting battered only makes him make defenders even more inferior.

Lynty

Those hard lunging slides weren't examples of good defending though. All attackers prefer someone who is going to lunge in recklessly instead of a defender who remains patiently on his feet.

Its a miracle he wasn't injured every other game, and is was definitely tenacious to keep going at it despite facing such thuggery... but thats not good defending.

Messi would rinse that England team in the exact same way.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Great players would be able to deal with any era. I've seen Messi and Ronaldo treated horribly and it only makes them compete fiercer and stronger. Champions and the absolute greatest players will be be so in any era. This roughness angle only impacts fitness and the "myth". See Ronaldo when he's booed or targeted. He reacts superbly. See Messi aged 16 against Juve or in all the classicos. Getting battered only makes him make defenders even more inferior.
There is obviously a difference. Late 80s/early 90s was probably the nadir for attacking football. And nowhere more so than the serie A.

Whereas the current era sees a very large amount of goals scored even compared to 10 years ago.

Whatever the causes, attacking players thrive more today than they did in the late 80s.

HisNameIsEarl

Was it really more brutal than previous eras? I remember reading about the treatment Pele had to endure, being kicked all over the pitch. Racism played a part in that, too.

It's really tough to compare between eras. Yes, those things made life harder for attacking players but nowadays defenses are much, much better organized and teams are generelly well drilled in possession. They offer less space and make it way harder for underdogs. Based on those factors we'll never be able to tell how much better or worse a player might have done at another time.
That's what made me phrase "Gott is tot" in my initial reaction. Like in Nietzsches philosophy a whole era has ended. An era where individual qualities made the difference such that a single player could turn a relegation team into champions of the hardest league of these days or winning the world cup with an average side. And therefore surpass the limitations of the normal humans around him. An age of myths and legends, with D10s as its very climax. There will be no more god in modern football, not due to the capabilities of the players, but due to the end of that era. Some might say, footballs's soul has gone lost, others might welcome this "modern football". Anyhow - "Gott ist tot"

Tel074

Just after reading the funeral workers who took the pictures of him in his coffin have been murdered by the Boca Ultras . Job done then.
Diego was a god not just a football player

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Just after reading the funeral workers who took the pictures of him in his coffin have been murdered by the Boca Ultras . Job done then.
fecking wow if thats true.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Where you see that