Diego Maradona has died | 1960 – 2020

Chicharo

Incredible :lol: But it looks like he scored 5 in that video?
No, four. That set-piece was not not taken by him. Even here when he was still very young you can see how his opponents tried everything to stop him, he suffered so many hits and awful challenges throughout his career but on his day even the worst ones were not enough to discourage or prevent him him from doing magical things.

Greatest of all time. Truly a sad day. Bloody 2020.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
The greatest player who ever lived. RIP Diego Armando Maradona

RedFish

The best.
/thread.
Like George Best on cocaine.
And he shits on Messi
What the feck.

RIP if true - one of the true football GOATs.
Wow... What a life he had.
Holy feck.

Such an absolute legend. RIP :(
Genius. Sad sad day for football.
Rip Diego. What a life he had
Best player I've seen.

RIP
GOAT. He was unstoppable.
The greatest football player of all time. May he rest in peace.
Best player I ever saw.

Most predictable death ever sadly.
RIP. The Greatest Ever.
Rest in peace. In my opinion the greatest to ever touch the ball.
True legend. Loved and considered the greatest of them all by millions, will always be remember as one of the most important players of the game.
Greatest player I ever saw. RIP legend
Greatest of all time. May he rest in peace.
^

Thanks for the memories...

Chief123

Every time I see the title of this thread it just feels so surreal.

Tel074

I'm heart broken this man was more than a footballer to my generation he was a god . We didn't see football matches every month nevermind ever day so the world cup was a treat . Then this freak turned up and did things I've never seen before .
For any of the younger generation who thinks Messi or Ronaldo are on his level just youtube him and watch the hip high challenges etc .
Diego was and probably always will be by far the greatest player ever .
My hero .

Needham

Died the same day as George Best.
And of consumption related issues on the same day the death was announced of a minor celebrity appositely called Heavy D.
RIP DM, best player ever.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Just did a bit of research into his Copa America history since I had never really heard about it before.

He was not involved in the 1983 squad as it looks like all players were Argentine league based?
1987 - One of only 3 non Argentine League players. Played in both group matches scored 2. Started in the loss to Uruguay in the Semi finals.
1989 - Again in the squad, one of only 10 non Argentine League players. Started all 4 group stage matches, and 2 of the 3 final group matches, looks like he was held out of the dead rubber vs Paraguay on the last matchday.
Not in the 1991 squad.

Again not criticism just wanted to give the info as I had never seen it before.
The "non-Argentine league based player" thing is pretty redundant as it applied across the board.

The norm was NOT to call up foreign based players.

Firstly, because it wasn't as prevalent (this is pre-Bosman with most European clubs sticking to only 3 non-nationals).

The upside was there was far more domestic talent and the Libertadores was an entirely different proposition to what it is today.

Second, as a result there was no coordinated scheduling and obligation for clubs to release players X-days before a game, if at all. They often arrived the day before matchday and had no training with the rest so it was reserced for truly special players. NT coaches preferred relying on domestic players to form a core, as their local league would bend over backwards to accommodate training plans and prep.

Third, there wasn't as much money in football. Flying players over cost a bomb relatively speaking, even if you were often talking about multi-stop economy class, only to get a player in very bad shape and with no prep.

And after all that, when they inevitably underperformed fans were on their back saying they were mercenaries, scared of injuries and saving their best for their big time clubs.

It was so bad that in 1980, with Uruguay not starting the WCQ well there was a nationwide fundraising to bring our star striker from Spain and back to his former club where he had been the all-time league record goalscorer. Everyone chipped in, a bit like Liverpool fans making donations for Cristiano to come back from Madrid to United in 2012.

The funds were not raised in time, we missed the 1982 WC, but the transfer took place and Peñarol won the league and the Libertadores in 1982. When the NT finally got involved in the 1983 Copa America, he got a career-ending injury in a group match. You couldn't make it up

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
The discussion whether Diego was the best to have ever played on a football pitch will never have a definite answer since every era has its own masters. But there is absolutely no doubt that Diego is the greatest of history of football. He had his flaws and made tons of mistakes outside the pitch. But that’s also why we love him. He was not even close to being perfect but he was 100 percent human. He was himself to 100 percent and didn’t give a feck what anyone else thought while today’s stars are media trained since the age of 12.

Messi & Ronaldo are masters too but to me they are more like robots. They don’t have THAT moment that defines a whole era, while Diego has several of those. Messi & Ronaldo are training machines and, frankly, quite boring as personas outside the field. Diego was a leader, entertainer, genius, super star and beloved teammate all in one. He was that kind of diva that also made his teammates much, much better. Everything with Diego was larger than life. An absolute legend of the beautiful game.

This day was pretty expected to come at some point considering the life he went through but now it feels so suddenly. I’m a grown up man and didn’t think I would react with such grief but this really felt in my heart. I have never thought there could be a world with no Maradona...

Riposa in pace D10S.

Last edited:

Cloud7

He's one of those players that I really wish I could have seen actually play a match live, rather than only through clips etc many years later. RIP.

Neo_Mufc

Sad that I never got to see him play as he was not part of my generation.

It's sad that we lose someone which we as football fans all have a shared love for and that pure footballing genius.

RIP.

cheeky_backheel

Armando was so so many things, all packed into that diminutive stature.

RIP

Last edited:

eltigreFalcao

Gracias por todo Diego, por siempre

A true leyend, hopefully ever present in the history of football. Lets not let his grace on the pitch be ever forgotten. Rest in peace

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Sad news. Amazing legacy. Tragedy and comedy personified.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In terms of eye test alone or highest peak a player ever reach, he is easily no.1 GOAT for me. If you add all up the career stats and trophies (with the disadvantage of playing for smaller clubs), to me he is still among top 2 or 3.

Eddy_JukeZ

RIP to the iconic Diego Maradona.

No player before or after was capable of doing things on the ball like he was.