Diego Simeone - the missing one

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I know your comment was tongue in cheek but one can be called a 'tactical genius' because he has proven it with consistency and trophies against elite opposition. The other is just starting out.
You're totally missing the point. Some call Simeone a tactical genius for playing counter attacking defensive football but when Ole does the same thing he is a gym teacher with no tactics. So which one is it???

Gopher Brown

You're totally missing the point. Some call Simeone a tactical genius for playing counter attacking defensive football but when Ole does the same thing he is a gym teacher with no tactics. So which one is it???
All managers are just glorified PE teachers

criticalanalysis

To be fair, I don't think many or any would call Simone a tactical genius and comments are more about rating his managerial ability.

But no, I've not missed the point as what I've said still applies. Until you've achieved something with it (consistency or trophies etc), several one-off/game raising occasions doesn't mean squat.

Simone is not a tactical genius for playing defensive football and neither is Ole a gym teacher but Simone is getting praise because his teams have done it whilst Ole is still in his infancy with Utd.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Stupid to compare him to Ole. He's made Athletico punch above their weight. His style is still ugly though.

el3mel

Stupid to compare him to Ole. He's made Athletico punch above their weight. His style is still ugly though.
Yeah it's hard to argue to with his achievements with Atletico. He's a very good manager in his way. He's also impossible to be liked, not just that his style of football is impossible to be watched but I also don't like his antics at all. I don't let me not liking him cloud my judgement on his achievements with Atletico though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah it's hard to argue to with his achievements with Atletico. He's a very good manager in his way. He's also impossible to be liked, not just that his style of football is impossible to be watched but I also don't like his antics at all. I don't let me not liking him cloud my judgement on his achievements with Atletico though.
I agree, he's a dirty cnut and brings that style to the pitch as well. He's basically the argie Mourinho, but if he had greater players, he might adopt a attractive playing style.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The two situations are totally different. He's broken the duopoly of Real and Barca, he's reached the CL final twice, and generally made Atletico one of the most annoying teams to face in Europe despite a budget which is dwarfed by that of the super clubs, won the Europa league twice and is currently top of the league again.

He is also, for reference, just 2 years older than OGS.

Not exactly difficult to see why one might be getting slightly different plaudits than the other, as good a job as OGS may currently be doing.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I agree, he's a dirty cnut and brings that style to the pitch as well. He's basically the argie Mourinho, but if he had greater players, he might adopt a attractive playing style.
He has had some really good players for a few years now plus the likes of Koke and Saul who have a lot of experience by now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The two situations are totally different. He's broken the duopoly of Real and Barca, he's reached the CL final twice, and generally made Atletico one of the most annoying teams to face in Europe despite a budget which is dwarfed by that of the super clubs, won the Europa league twice and is currently top of the league again.

Not exactly difficult to see why one might be getting slightly different plaudits than the other, as good a job as OGS may currently be doing.
True but some people just get called tactical genius for doing a Big Sam. I mean Carlos Queiroz still gets called that by some United (and even some rival) fans mainly for one 1-0 knock-out win in five years against an established big European team.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He'd be a great fit for an underdog team, where he would not be subjected to fan pressure to provide "entertaining" football. Or a fallen giant who wants to start winning again (like one of the Milan clubs toppling Juve - which they might be doing this season anyway). He's always been linked with Inter after his Atletico stint iirc.

If Arteta doesn't work out at Arsenal, he'd be a shrewd signing for them - especially while they're trying to compete with the top 4/6 (assuming at a fraction of the budget). But their fans would want "Wenger" football, and not go back to the "1 nil to the arsenal days" I assume.

TheGame

Can anyone explain what the tactics of his teams are? They spend alot of money on players yet to me don't allow them to express themselves therefore its a wonder why they are signed. I know he's done well with the team over the years and are top of La Liga but my word, they were poor yesterday.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

He's also by far the best paid manager in the world, earning close to twice as much as Pep who's number 2.

You do wonder if he took a smaller wage, can they do more in terms of spend elsewhere?

simplyared

Not sure about his squad tbf.
GK is world class although should've saved Chelsea's 1st goal.
Suarez gets goals in La Liga but looks passed it against better competition.
Lemar they paid 70 mil euros for in 2018. Monaco must be laughing all the way to the bank.
Koke's been around too long at 29 he looks mediocre nothing more.
Saul wants away.
Savic ex city flop.
No that squad doesn't get me excited!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’re going to bottle the league too

RooneyLegend

I dont understand why they are a defensive team with players who are mediocre defensively. Its strange how he doesnt look for players who fit the bill instead of changing players of a different kind. No one would accuse the likes of Trippier, Lodi, Savic,, Koke and Niguez etc of being great defensively. The lost the physical battle by quite a distance over the couple of legs.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He is still the best coach for Atlético and they should renew him as soon as possible, and I say this without sarcasm. Leader of la liga and regular in the Champions League.
He should sell Joâo Félix to City and use that money to buy players of his liking, soldiers to increase the shithousery even more.
What happened yesterday, more than a problem with Simeone, seemed the superiority of pace that the Spanish teams have suffered

sourdough satellite

He is still the best coach for Atlético and they should renew him as soon as possible, and I say this without sarcasm. Leader of la liga and regular in the Champions League.
He should sell Joâo Félix to City and use that money to buy players of his liking, soldiers to increase the shithousery even more.
What happened yesterday, more than a problem with Simeone, seemed the superiority of pace that the Spanish teams have suffered
I agree, Joao Felix will never reach his potential in that team.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think Simeone's time at Atletico should be over, doesn't matter what he does with this seasons La Liga.

Not having an attacking pattern, depending solely on counter attacks and deadballs is not sustainable in the long run. It can work when playing teams that are significantly better and you score first but when playing your peers or those slightly below where you are expected to attack, they run out of ideas. Just like Mourinho one-trick Son-Kane goal

SAFMUTD

They were a likeable team back then when it was a squad full of average players punching above their weight.

In recent years he's had a squad with good quality and still he is playing the poorest football you can play, I dont watch them at La Liga but watching both legs against Chelsea I dont understand how they are at top. Awful performance, coward as hell. They needed to win and yet he still parked the bus.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Are they the Spanish Stoke, albeit with some pedigree?

Water Melon

I think Simeone's time at Atletico should be over, doesn't matter what he does with this seasons La Liga.

Not having an attacking pattern, depending solely on counter attacks and deadballs is not sustainable in the long run. It can work when playing teams that are significantly better and you score first but when playing your peers or those slightly below where you are expected to attack, they run out of ideas. Just like Mourinho one-trick Son-Kane goal
This reminded me of another manager.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Are they the Spanish Stoke, albeit with some pedigree?
the reference to Stoke is for the ugly football?. I suppose that it's a sacrifice that most fans are willing to endure in order to remain competitive.

Atlético have always been a very unstable club, at least since I've been following football.
In fact in Spain they are known as "el pupas". It could be translated as someone with bad luck, sick, where everything goes wrong and famous for constantly firing coaches.
Although it may not seem like it, there is a very thin line between being the leader in la liga and starting to fall into the chaos of Valencia, for example.

Simeone seems to be the one who keeps the whole system working, with fans, management and players in the same direction.
I do not know if it is worth the risk of changing the "philosophy" and see how everything falls apart for choosing a bad coach

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Love his passion but that’s about it. I couldn’t watch his team every week

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The masochist in me wants him as our manager, it would irritate the opposition to no end , especially if we win silverware.