Dimitar Berbatov | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Thats because we were desperate to create chances and Rooney was looking to be in the box to finish them

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Yeah they all played well. What changed the game was going with more than 1 striker up front and the freekick.
Agreed, we had more of a goal threat in the second half. What has been somewhat overlooked is that we actually played some fecking nice stuff in the first half.

It also helped that we stopped defending like spastics in the second half.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Rooney number of touches, I didnt think hernadez saw nearly twice as much of the ball as Rooney, in our most succesful period we had our second lowest pass completion rate.

We were most succesful in terms of possesion and passing the first 20 minutes in the second half.

In our most succesful period we were not as dominant as it looked when you look at the passing stats.
Gotcha.

What they also show is how much we were on the ball and how well we passed it in the first half.

More passes and greater accuracy than the second 45. Which fits with my own take on things that we actually played very well in the first half but just didn't get any break of the ball in/around the box.

Obviously helped when West Ham tired towards the end - creating space for us to exploit - but those goals were as much a product of dominating them for the whole game as they were the tactical changes/substitutions Fergie made. Typical of a very good United away performance. Grind the opposition down then put them to the sword with a flurry of late goals.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
The comments about opposition fans are weird. I have to say that in my experience he gets much more stick off our fans than oppo fans. Frequently in those "meet the enemy" features some United blogs do before games, oppo fans pick Berba when asked "which United player would you want in your team?". A surprising amount really, given the fact even I wouldn't take him first, if I was building a team. He's very highly regarded amongst my non-United mates, bar one or two who without wanting to demean them would watch less football than the others and trot out the "lazy" lines.

I don't see why he shouldn't be held in that high a regard too, if we're talking about the last 5 years, his stats are up there with the best of them.

Certainly, his first season was not up to the standard he set at Spurs, though I dare say his spell at Tottenham has taken on almost mythical proportions, he had many of those days that were seen as frustrating at United, but tolerated at Tottenham because of the many more good days. However, there are both mitigating factors and caveats we have to discuss when talking about his first season at United. Firstly, that he was playing well back the pitch for United in comparison to Spurs, this demonstrated by 10 assists - the second highest in the Premier League. Secondly, though you can say he did not live up to his own standards, he definitely lived up to the minimum standard of a United striker, creating or scoring as much per minute as Tévez did in his first season, which is widely lauded as a success.

I maintain that his second season was good overall, though granted he was disappointing in our last 8 or so games, some of which he had to play up front on his own or alongside a clearly unfit Rooney. This period was sadly what his season was remembered for, despite the fact that up until April he'd created or scored every 103 minutes (a record that shits all over most of United's strikers' seasons for the past decade), generally played well despite a few peaks and troughs, and scored some crucial goals. Despite his ending, he still ended up with very respectable figures.

Is it safe to say he didn't live up to expectations in his first two seasons? Yes, though some of these expectations were too high in the first place, due to his price tag and his propensity to produce astonishing highlights. Can we say that though he didn't live up to expectations of him, he still produced enough for a United second striker in those first two seasons? Yes, certainly. It's only his price tag and the fact he pushed Tévez out, and perhaps a little bit his attitude during his first season which has caused recriminations.

He's been better for us than Tévez was, NQAT for me (I argue this elsewhere in greater detail), and he's currently having a splendid season that most of us knew he had in him, particularly if he was played as a proper centre-forward.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If he were still at Spurs, I reckon they'd much closer to Arsenal, Chelsea and City in the table right now. He'd no doubt have created/scored a few goals during some of those drab 0-0 and 1-1 draws.

Ekeke

Hmmm

Looking at Rooney heat Map from mins 64 onwards he spent most time on the left wing and outside the box.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
He can only be in the box when we've managed to get the ball forward and are looking to create a chance right? Doesnt that heatmap go hand in hand with your passing stats, saying we gave the ball away a fair bit. Its not like he could actually camp in the box if we arent in the final third. But he was the one looking to get on the end of things rather than build them imo. Running the channels is part of that

Minkaro

Hmmm

Looking at Rooney heat Map from mins 64 onwards he spent most time on the left wing and outside the box.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Rooney went left wing after Park was taken off.

About Berba, his balance/strength impresses me. Often see him with the ball being shouldered by opposition players, and just casually striding past them anyway.

CptMarvel

Have we lost a game he's started this season? Anyway, the title would be Arsenals this year but for his goals in the first half of the season.

B Cantona

Desperate
I dunno why I am still reading this thread. Nobody is going to give in.

Let’s pretend though that Berbatov signed for City that day instead of us and went on to replicate for them his 1st two seasons with us.

Would we write him off as a complete failure - Yes or No?

You could imagine the threads that would have sprang up on here how we had dodged a bullet etc…
I never like to assume what people would do based on hypotheticals we can't ever prove, but I do share your line of thinking

I can't understand why we can't call it like it is, and say he's had a very good season - mostly because he's become far more potent, but also that he has improved his consistency of performance (perhaps not as much as I'd like, and that's perhaps some of the reason why he's not in the team despite his scoring) - but that his first two seasons were a disappointment. Particularly at this time of year by the way, where he's only ever scored one goal for us after March (the fifth in our thrashing of Spurs). I'm hopefully he'll build on this, albeit I fancy Hernandez to hold his place for the majority of the remaining campaign. Rooney's impending ban probably buys him an extra start (maybe two)

But some can't. They insist on rewriting history. They find soul mates in some other one eyed United fans who struggle with the concept of hero worship, but to the wider football audience they bemuse

Shimo

Have we lost a game he's started this season? Anyway, the title would be Arsenals this year but for his goals in the first half of the season.
I love Berba and he's had a significant role to play in where we stand but, we could probably say equally if not more regarding Vidic/Nani and now recently Chicha as well.

Also, can't make judgement that a lot of games we've not lost because he started just because he didn't start the ones we did lose.

I am glad he is with us - people talk about how he doesn't fit United but, that's why I like him even more because it isn't about just playing one way, all attack at speed all the time. There are games when a player like him where his control and ability is called for. It provides a different dimension on the field for opposition defenders to worry about.

The criticism levelled at Arsenal is that they can't change things up but, isn't it great that we can? Start Berbatov and Rooney and then bring on Chicha for Berba and all of a sudden defenders now have to deal with his threat behind after all game trying to keep track of Rooney/Berba in different parts of the pitch.

Bring on Berba for Chicha to partner with Rooney after Chicha has been making run after run behind, stretching/tiring the defenders that now they have to deal with trying to figure out who is dropping deep and who is getting behind them - Rooney or Berbatov.

There isn't just one way to play even if that is what many want us to us to do and this to me is why he was bought, to provide something different. We had pace galore with Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez but, a player that can just control the ball, hold off defenders, keep possession and just bring a bit more calm and at times a touch of absolute genius.

Showed that against W. Ham when he came on - the difference between him and the other s and looks like he'll be showing us that against Fulham/Shitty.

I'm always right

He's been better for us than Tévez was, NQAT for me (I argue this elsewhere in greater detail), and he's currently having a splendid season that most of us knew he had in him, particularly if he was played as a proper centre-forward.
Give the Tevez shit a rest Geeky, no-one has mentioned the ugly little man in a wee while but you just can't help yourself can you?

Debating Berbatov is much more fun when the argie isn't brought in to piss everyone off.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
Yeah but have we lost any games when Tevez has started this season? No.

EricaNo7

Fair dues, he didn't and to blame him for the Liverpool defeat would be harsh as all of them played like twunts that day, even though I wasn't blaming himn before anyone asks, but yes we have lost games he's started.
They were all awful that day, but I often wonder what would have happened to the course of the match if that shot from Berba had gone in instead of hitting the post.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Didn't catch the game until the 20th minute. Where was he? Injured?

nemanja15

I'm sure he'll play against Blackpool and possibly Schalke at home as well, and also Blackburn away. Imagine Hernandez will start the other fixtures if we're looking to go with a second striker.

B Cantona

Desperate
I put it to you that, despite him being league top scorer, we wouldn't have won the league this season (assuming we don't toss it from here) with the same strikeforce we had last season

And, sadly, the doubts remain about Berbatov's mentality this late in the campaign

Scoreboard Red

I put it to you that, despite him being league top scorer, we wouldn't have won the league this season (assuming we don't toss it from here) with the same strikeforce we had last season

And, sadly, the doubts remain about Berbatov's mentality this late in the campaign
I'd put it straight back to you our kid, United even with a 57 year old slow Scouser looked more attacking than a Berbulovatov, I hope Berbatov scores another important goal but looks unlikely...

Lance Uppercut

And? What a bizarre thing to say.

Treble

True IMO. Last season, our third most prolific striker in the league scored only 2 goals. This season, the third most prolific striker has scored 10 goals so far. It's always easier to win the league if you have 3 strikers on double figures rather than just two.

BTW, Berbatov has scored as many league goals in open play as Hernandez and Rooney put together. Not bad for a third choice striker, IMO. It was important for us that he was scoring goals (November - January) when Chelsea strikers were generally poor. This is why we are in a better position to win the league than Chelsea. Since February Chelsea have won a lot of points.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
If I was him I'd leave. If he has any ambition, he'd do so.

He can play very well but will still find himself on the bench for the important matches. If it's not Rooney alone up front, it's Rooney-Hernandez.

He'll never get a look back in and he's 30 years old, going on 31 by next season.

I'll not complain if he wants to stay our third choice striker of course :drool:

VoetbalWizard

He can play very well but will still find himself on the bench for the important matches. If it's not Rooney alone up front, it's Rooney-Hernandez.

He'll never get a look back in and he's 30 years old, going on 31 by next season.

I'll not complain if he wants to stay our third choice striker of course :drool:
do we want to pay a third choice striker, 100k a week?

I know madrid do so (after adding adebayor to the books) but we're a bit more frugal with the wage bill.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I'd put it straight back to you our kid, United even with a 57 year old slow Scouser looked more attacking than a Berbulovatov, I hope Berbatov scores another important goal but looks unlikely...
He's scored two goals in his last 162 league minutes at the business end of the season. And you're still on about him not scoring important goals.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Not necessarily true. Injuries always play a factor and squad rotation and form will always ensure there are plenty of games. I think back to 1999/00 and 2000/1. In 1999, Teddy Sheringham played in relatively few games and yet the following season was our top scorer and won the PFA players of the years awards to boot .... and he still had Yorke, Cole and Ole for company.

SAF is unceremonious in his desire to win trophies and will always select he best team he believes can win every game it plays in. Giggs and Schloes are both ample evidence to prove that age is not a factor at all in squad and team selection. As the saying goes, if you are good enough, you are old enough.

I hope we keep Berbatov for a few more years. He adds a dimension to our attacking options that we lose if he left and I dont think any of our young guns is anywhere near reliable or developed enough to come in a third striker. Lose Owen perhaps and replace him with Welbeck but defo keep Berbatov.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Not necessarily true. Injuries always play a factor and squad rotation and form will always ensure there are plenty of games. I think back to 1999/00 and 2000/1. In 1999, Teddy Sheringham played in relatively few games and yet the following season was our top scorer and won the PFA players of the years awards to boot .... and he still had Yorke, Cole and Ole for company.

SAF is unceremonious in his desire to win trophies and will always select he best team he believes can win every game it plays in. Giggs and Schloes are both ample evidence to prove that age is not a factor at all in squad and team selection. As the saying goes, if you are good enough, you are old enough.

I hope we keep Berbatov for a few more years. He adds a dimension to our attacking options that we lose if he left and I dont think any of our young guns is anywhere near reliable or developed enough to come in a third striker. Lose Owen perhaps and replace him with Welbeck but defo keep Berbatov.
agree. we cant always have a frontine of young whipper snappers. Its too predictable.
The '99 team had options to offer with the different pairing. Plus we rotate more than we did in '99 and which will make us even less predictable with Berba in the squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.