Dimitar Berbatov | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
It's embarrassing because I don't know what sort of "lasting credit" you want for a complete tap in where all the work was done by Nani. It was an important goal for sure but I don't really get the point about lasting credit. Johnno isn't saying Berba is crap, he's just always maintained that he's not a United player, as in, he doesn't suit us. Considering SAF is currently preferring a player who isn't as talented I'd say it's hard to argue against this point.
One of his continuing gripes about Berba was that he apparently doesn't score in the business end of the season.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
You do realise that Berba is injured right?

I have been on hols for a week and although I have watched both games all I know is the commentator said he was ill for the Newcastle game and injured against Everton. I have not read any papers or seen stuff on here about anything to suggest otherwise, but…

Are we all entirely convinced of this?

Does nobody suspect anything going on behind the scenes? I mean it would make sense. Here we have a player who underperformed for 2 years, looked bereft of any confidence all of a sudden turn his Utd career around only to be dropped and clearly made 3rd choice. We know he will be entering his final year of the contract and we know a decision has to be made.

I still will not be one bit surprised if he is sold this summer

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
I have been on hols for a week and although I have watched both games all I know is the commentator said he was ill for the Newcastle game and injured against Everton. I have not read any papers or seen stuff on here about anything to suggest otherwise, but…

Are we all entirely convinced of this?

Does nobody suspect anything going on behind the scenes? I mean it would make sense. Here we have a player who underperformed for 2 years, looked bereft of any confidence all of a sudden turn his Utd career around only to be dropped and clearly made 3rd choice. We know he will be entering his final year of the contract and we know a decision has to be made.

I still will not be one bit surprised if he is sold this summer
Straight from SAF mouth, he has a strain.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Thats true, but we dont know if Rooney would be happy with that or motivated to give his all in that position.

Its the same as saying that Valencia would seem to be just fine as a right back and that way we can keep Nani on the right wing and still play him. We dont know if Valencia would enjoy that and be motivated to consistantly perform brilliantly in that position. You dont know till it happens and we've certainly always resisted doing that with Rooney
Without opening up the "Rooney in midfield" debate for the thousandth time, I reckon he would love it there - able to be involved in the game more, running all over the park, starting swift counterattacks, attacking and defending, spraying passes, taking on players, long shots and supporting the strikers.

He would need to work on his defensive discipline a bit, but otherwise for me would be the complete midfielder.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Of course not. But you must admit that his situation is far from normal and you must have a niggling doubt on what his future holds
I'm certain he will be at the club next season. There's this assumption that SAF bought a player he knew nothing about. Berbatov was bought for situations where pressing and counter-attacking are ineffective, we will encounter plenty of those situations next season and I really can't see why we would sell a player who's having the season of his career.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Of course not. But you must admit that his situation is far from normal and you must have a niggling doubt on what his future holds
Bit like Rooney with his "ankle" injury, then Fergie saying he was protecting him from Everton fans, plus all the other reasons he didn't play at the beginning of the season, when really it was about something else entirely.

Fletcher's been "ill" for a while too..

Scoreboard Red

One of his continuing gripes about Berba was that he apparently doesn't score in the business end of the season.
Which for the third season in a row is being shown as evident...again!
What I have said though we have at least six possibly seven games left for him to make his mark and I hope he can contribute in that time, I won't see it as being proven right or wrong as I don't want him to not succeed at United as some of you have suggested, I'd love him to score and play well but he's simply just not and I cannot excuse his performances in this last third with 'he scored a hat-trick against Liverpool 7/8 months ago'...

kietotheworld

What I have said though we have at least six possibly seven games left for him to make his mark and I hope he can contribute in that time, I won't see it as being proven right or wrong as I don't want him to not succeed at United as some of you have suggested, I'd love him to score and play well but he's simply just not and I cannot excuse his performances in this last third with 'he scored a hat-trick against Liverpool 7/8 months ago'...
How is he supposed to score when he's hardly playing?

Shimo

Lets face it SR whatever Berba does manage to do - you'll find something else to detract from him. The way you come across -he could score winners against Arsenal, Chelsea, Schalke and Real/Barca at the end of this season and you'd find something like well each of those goals was because it was laid on a plate and well none of those goals actually came in the 8th minute of injury time - in fact they all came in the first half and till he manages to rescue games against big sides in the dying moments - you don't think he is United quality.

Absurd? That's simply the way you come across. It's like the argument that well he hasn't scored enough against big teams, the points won at the beginning of the season are just as important as the ones we are winning now. In fact, if you ask Chelsea - the losing streak they went on in the first half of the season, I bet they are wishing they had got some of those points back then.

Scoreboard Red

Lets face it SR whatever Berba does manage to do - you'll find something else to detract from him. The way you come across -he could score winners against Arsenal, Chelsea, Schalke and Real/Barca at the end of this season and you'd find something like well each of those goals was because it was laid on a plate and well none of those goals actually came in the 8th minute of injury time - in fact they all came in the first half and till he manages to rescue games against big sides in the dying moments - you don't think he is United quality.
Absurd? That's simply the way you come across. It's like the argument that well he hasn't scored enough against big teams, the points won at the beginning of the season are just as important as the ones we are winning now. In fact, if you ask Chelsea - the losing streak they went on in the first half of the season, I bet they are wishing they had got some of those points back then.
How could I be given the opportunity to do so when he's never scored in a big important match in the last third of the season?
If he were to do so, I would gladly provide him with him due praise, trust me but you're claiming I would hypothetically not do so when he's never actually done so in reality...see my point?

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
He's scored 2 goals in his last 3 league appearances you tit, and the other one he came on when we were 2-0 down with 25 to go and we won 4-2.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
He's only missed the last two games brother, there must have been 20 games we've played since late-January of which he's missed four or five tops...
Come on, you know as well as i do thats incorrect, hes hardly figured lately due to Rooney and Hernandez hitting it off from around early March time, you cant score goals when your aren't in the side, hes started about 2 games in the last 10 or so i think.

Scoreboard Red

He's scored 2 goals in his last 3 league appearances you tit, and the other one he came on when we were 2-0 down with 25 to go and we won 4-2.
That was in January Feekeh, fecking hell!
Hardly the last third, is it?
Shit against Chelsea, shit against City, not considered for European matches...
I seriously can't see how you can keep it up, I really can't...

Scoreboard Red

Come on, you know as well as i do thats incorrect, hes hardly figured lately due to Rooney and Hernandez hitting it off from around early March time, you cant score goals when your aren't in the side, hes started about 2 games in the last 10 or so i think.
It's funny how Tevez's departure was justified by his apparent shitness being given less starting opportunities and only sub appearances now Berbatov is only being given sub appearances and it's justified he isnt scoring or playing well. I'm not saying you are/were anti-Tevez, maybe you are I dunno but you see the logic applied for both.
My question lies within your last post mate, it's only recently Hernandez has been preferred to Berb to partner Rooney, his form and Berb's lack of his own form in the last third is keeping him out AGAIN.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
It's funny how Tevez's departure was justified by his apparent shitness being given less starting opportunities and only sub appearances now Berbatov is only being given sub appearances and it's justified he isnt scoring or playing well. I'm not saying you are/were anti-Tevez, maybe you are I dunno but you see the logic applied for both.
My question lies within your last post mate, it's only recently Hernandez has been preferred to Berb to partner Rooney, his form and Berb's lack of his own form in the last third is keeping him out AGAIN.
Tevez scored 5 league goals the season he was rooted to the timber (even thats a myth seeing as he was involved in over 30 of our league games that season anyway) Berbatov is topping the charts with 21, so i dont see much comparison there im afraid, Tevez was left out because he was impotent in the league.

Berbatov lost his place due to Hernandez exceeding expectations and fergie understandably has seen no reason to change a flourishing partnership, unfortunately that leaves Berba on the sidelines for the time being, of course hes still popped up with some crucial goals the late winner at home to Bolton being one.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
That was in January Feekeh, fecking hell!
Hardly the last third, is it?
Shit against Chelsea, shit against City, not considered for European matches...
I seriously can't see how you can keep it up, I really can't...
You're making less and less sense as you go on. Shit against Chelsea? What, all 12 minutes of his appearance where he played fine and we closed out a 1-0 win with ease? In the 3 matches around Chelsea he started against Fulham and scored, came on at half-time against Bolton and scored, and came on against West Ham with 25 minutes to go and played excellently as we turned around a pivotal game.

You claim that you'd be delighted if Berba was doing well generally and scoring in the business end of the season, he's doing exactly that and you seem to be pretending it's not happening.

Scoreboard Red

Tevez scored 5 league goals the season he was rooted to the timber (even thats a myth seeing as he was involved in over 30 of our league games that season anyway) Berbatov is topping the charts with 21, so i dont see much comparison there im afraid, Tevez was left out because he was impotent in the league.

Berbatov lost his place due to Hernandez exceeding expectations and fergie understandably has seen no reason to change a flourishing partnership, unfortunately that leaves Berba on the sidelines for the time being, of course hes still popped up with some crucial goals the late winner at home to Bolton being one.
You will agree I'm sure Tevez was dropped numerous times even after having good games, scoring etc for Berbatov who continued to be lackluster in his early life at United whereas Berbatov has been dropped in favour of Chico when playing poorly.

Scoreboard Red

You're making less and less sense as you go on. Shit against Chelsea? What, all 12 minutes of his appearance where he played fine and we closed out a 1-0 win with ease? In the 3 matches around Chelsea he started against Fulham and scored, came on at half-time against Bolton and scored, and came on against West Ham with 25 minutes to go and played excellently as we turned around a pivotal game.

You claim that you'd be delighted if Berba was doing well generally and scoring in the business end of the season, he's doing exactly that and you seem to be pretending it's not happening.
Chelsea in the league? He was shit, and we lost 2-1 Guv'nor...
He's not scoring in the business end at all, two goals since late January in 20 games (of which he's played at least 14) is poor.
Rooney & Hernandez are performing, he's not and not done each of the last three seasons at the same stage.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Dont think he started away to Chelsea in the league. It was Liverpool away he played in. And yes he was shit

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Chelsea in the league? He was shit, and we lost 2-1 Guv'nor...
He's not scoring in the business end at all, two goals since late January in 20 games (of which he's played at least 14) is poor.
Rooney & Hernandez are performing, he's not and not done each of the last three seasons at the same stage.
Christ alive. You can recall a game well enough to confidently declare that he was shit, a game which he didn't start in. Played the last 15 minutes or so as far as I can remember.

Really calls your judgement of his performances into question when you make up games he was supposedly shit in.

And Randall, he was one of our better players against Liverpool in a woeful team performance. Hit the post with a wonderful piece of play, held it up alright, linked decently when he could.

Scoreboard Red

Christ alive. You can recall a game well enough to confidently declare that he was shit, a game which he didn't start in. Played the last 15 minutes or so as far as I can remember.

Really calls your judgement of his performances into question when you make up games he was supposedly shit in.

And Randall, he was one of our better players against Liverpool in a woeful team performance. Hit the post with a wonderful piece of play, held it up alright, linked decently when he could.
I need to borrow those tinted specs you watch these United matches through Feekeh, life must be much more wondrous; he was pathetic that match mate.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I need to borrow those tinted specs you watch these United matches through Feekeh, life must be much more wondrous; he was pathetic that match mate.
Which match are you talking about now, the Chelsea match which you imagined or the Liverpool match where our forwards definitely weren't the problem?

If it's Liverpool, I said he was "one of our better players in a woeful team performance". No one in red (or white as it were) can emerge with any credit from that day, with the possible exception of Hernández. He was though, one of our better players, i.e. in the top 5. It's not exactly raving praise.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best

He was one of our better players until they scored. He was than by far our worst player. Was like being down to 10 men.

I tell it how I see it

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I like how you just casually skip around the fact that you've just been caught telling porkies about your recollection of his performances.

Your little "2 goals since late January" above is ridiculous as well, he's had 4 starts since then.

Did you happen to catch any of the Bolton, Fulham or West Ham games that have actually happened since the Liverpool game mate?

Shimo

How could I be given the opportunity to do so when he's never scored in a big important match in the last third of the season?
If he were to do so, I would gladly provide him with him due praise, trust me but you're claiming I would hypothetically not do so when he's never actually done so in reality...see my point?
No - because that's been your MO when it comes to Berbatov - people refer it to as moving the goal posts - no matter what he does, you'll find something that doesn't meet your requirements.

I gave an extreme example and only an idiot wouldn't give him his due praise if that hypothetical came to pass but, also shows you the extreme view you are taking - he's delivered for a large part of the season but, now it's well he needs to deliver in the last part of the season. Should he do that even in part (the Bolton goal) then you'll find some way to down play it and set some silly new criteria for what constitutes a United player.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I dunno what the argument is anymore. Surely it will all come to a head in the summer. He has had a much improved season but still it appears he does not fit in.

Either he will be given a contract or will be sold in the summer. I will ask again, is it not reasonable to ponder the thought that all is not well behind the scenes between Fergie and Berbatov?

Scoreboard Red

I like how you just casually skip around the fact that you've just been caught telling porkies about your recollection of his performances.

Did you happen to catch any of the Bolton, Fulham or West Ham games that have actually happened since the Liverpool game mate?
I'm not skipping around any of them Feekeh, you're the one using these few examples as his justification and your self-belief that he is still effective at this point in time when you're skipping the facts he's been dumped because he is not effective as seen in the eyes of Alex Ferguson, do you deny he was poor against City?
I'll easily state he was bang on and playing well Aug-Oct, then dipped then had a little renaissance in January where he was great versus Blackburn and my favourite performance by him this season against Blackpool when he he was great, but I'm talking about right here, right now mate; you cannot use these games which were either so long ago or few and far between in letting your opinion of him when he's been shite when it truly matters as it does now as some sort of excuse.

No - because that's been your MO when it comes to Berbatov - people refer it to as moving the goal posts - no matter what he does, you'll find something that doesn't meet your requirements.

I gave an extreme example and only an idiot wouldn't give him his due praise if that hypothetical came to pass but, also shows you the extreme view you are taking - he's delivered for a large part of the season but, now it's well he needs to deliver in the last part of the season. Should he do that even in part (the Bolton goal) then you'll find some way to down play it and set some silly new criteria for what constitutes a United player.
I've never refrained from praising him where praise is due, it's simply (as I say above) unlike you lot, I don't say in response to a poor game "but he scored a hat-trick versus Liverpool!!!"
You're saying he delivered for a LARGE part of the season, no he hasn't mate.
He has delivered in less than ten games only in which the remainder have been average to below average otherwise. He's scored a lot of goals yes, but fifteen of those 21 were in five games alone.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
I'm not skipping around any of them Feekeh, you're the one using these few examples as his justification and your self-belief that he is still effective at this point in time when you're skipping the facts he's been dumped because he is not effective as seen in the eyes of Alex Ferguson, do you deny he was poor against City?
I'll easily state he was bang on and playing well Aug-Oct, then dipped then had a little renaissance in January where he was great versus Blackburn and my favourite performance by him this season against Blackpool when he he was great, but I'm talking about right here, right now mate; you cannot use these games which were either so long ago or few and far between in letting your opinion of him when he's been shite when it truly matters as it does now as some sort of excuse.
He was average, had he finished either of his two big chances (or the header that went narrowly over) we'd be praising him from getting into the positions. I thought he was at least involved, and a part of our dominant first 30, kind of disappeared after.

Do you deny he's been very good in 3 of his last 5 appearances, with the other two being city which I just discussed and Chelsea where he was on for 12 minutes and was grand? Do you deny that you made up your recollection of him being shit against Chelsea when he was only a late sub?

The irony is astounding, you're criticising me for "using a few examples as justification", when you're picking out two under-par performances in what has been yet another good spell for him, in the limited chances position that apparently so destroyed Carlos Tévez.

Shimo

I've never refrained from praising him where praise is due, it's simply (as I say above) unlike you lot, I don't say in response to a poor game "but he scored a hat-trick versus Liverpool!!!"
You're saying he delivered for a LARGE part of the season, no he hasn't mate.
He has delivered in less than ten games only in which the remainder have been average to below average otherwise. He's scored a lot of goals yes, but fifteen of those 21 were in five games alone.
Like I said, you'll find some argument when it comes to him - favorite one being well he's score 15 of his goals in 5 games. Never mind in 2 of those games 5 games every one of those goals was needed in securing 3 points. He's played well in several of the games he hasn't scored in as well even if results haven't gone our way.

Just accept like the rest of us have - when it comes to Berba, unless he becomes Messi, it doesn't matter what he does - you'll always look for an angle to discount his worth to the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.