Dimitar Berbatov | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoreboard Red

You're having a laugh, premier league top scorer despite spending half the season on the bench, in this market, did you go to school?
Yeah, St Monica's RC High School in Prestwich Class of '96, left with eight GCSE's including maths, why?
You seriously think you'd get over 15m for a player who'll be 31 years old next birthday?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
For the first time I'm starting to believe he might leave in the summer simply because he is 3rd choice behind Rooney and Hernandez. Similar to how RVN ended up behind Rooney and Saha and left instead of warming the bench at age 30.
RVN warmed that bench nowhere near how many times Berbs has.

RVN was a top, top class striker who knew what his role should have been, the Carling Cup final and 1 or 2 league games being dropped was enough fo him to cause a fuss.

Turned out Fergie was correct, even though at the time I was gutted to see him leave

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Seems my crazy theories are becoming more mainstream as time drags on.
Not just other posters but many journalists also.
Remember you heard it here first...
Ive been on that bandwagon for a while to be fair. At the same time though I really dont know what is right or wrong in this very tricky situation. Like with RVN I was gutted to see him leave (although for some nagging reason I would not be overly sad to see Berba depart, not sure why) but in the end Fergie was justified.

Lets just see what happens in the summer.

One thing is for sure though, if I was Berbatov I would be far from happy with his current squad status injury or no injury as of now....

Scoreboard Red

Great, Berbatov out Welbeck back in, along with Macheda and Owen, going from strength to strength then are we fellas!
Who's said Welbeck and/or Macheda will be 'replacing' Berbatov?
I've said plenty of times I don't feel either is up to the task of becoming regular starters for United, Welbeck will probably return as 3rd or likely 4th choice but I cannot see past substitute and league cup appearances.

One thing I shall say is Fergie often learns from his mistakes, of which there are few.
He went into the 2006/07 season with Rooney, Saha, Solskjaer and Smith as our recognised strikers, two of which were injured at the start and one of which was so brittle, a flea-fart would knock him sideways, hence we had to bring in Henrik Larsson for a three month cameo as back-up.
If he feels the squad is light in talent and fitness, he will bring someone in.

Scoreboard Red

If Berbatov goes ill happily have a hefty wager with you we wont replace him with anything like the same quality, no one of that calibre and class will come and play rotation with Hernandez so we'll be weaker for losing him whatever way you want to dress it up.
I'll bet you a wager in return that if Berbatov leaves, United will still win the league at least twice in the following five years after his departure and continue to reach the latter stages in Europe, challenge in the domestic cups and will continue to produce home-grown talent and purchase excellent players in every position of the park.

How about that?

It's funny you say we'll be weakened if he left, well he's still here but we look much stronger when he doesn't play, can you explain that?

MalteseRedDevil

I agree with Alfarone. I cant see us signing a better 3rd choice striker. If the manager thinks Hernandez is first choice. he will not sign another world class striker. More likely to keep Owen if he feels Diouf, Macheda and Wellbeck are not good enough.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
I'll bet you a wager in return that if Berbatov leaves, United will still win the league at least twice in the following five years after his departure and continue to reach the latter stages in Europe, challenge in the domestic cups and will continue to produce home-grown talent and purchase excellent players in every position of the park.

How about that?

It's funny you say we'll be weakened if he left, well he's still here but we look much stronger when he doesn't play, can you explain that?
The games played over a 9 month season Johno, not a few weeks, however much you want to down play Berbatovs importance this season the fact remains without his goals we wouldn't be anywhere near a league title challenge right now, thats just how it is, earlier in the season when Rooney went AWOL and Hernandez was still adjusting we relied on Berbatov and Nani massively our attacking play was 100% reliant on them, both those have stepped aside somewhat for Rooney and Hernandez over recent weeks thats how it works and thats why its called a squad game, you cant rely on 2 players for an entire season, Berbatovs played a huge part in where we stand this year.

Ill say this, if you think Rooney and Hernandez with a few kids and a has-been is a good enough front line for an entire season your in for a shock.

MrK

As is what's likely to happen after having sold Ronaldo, you mean?

Scoreboard Red

I agree with Alfarone. I cant see us signing a better 3rd choice striker. If the manager thinks Hernandez is first choice. he will not sign another world class striker. More likely to keep Owen if he feels Diouf, Macheda and Wellbeck are not good enough.
Signing a new striker doesn't necessarily mean he will be 'third-choice', both Solskjaer and Hernandez were signed by Fergie as future development projects but both hit the ground running and managed to be first choice in their first seasons.
Ferguson, if he wanted to, will buy a striker who can come in when required, whether it be consistently or cameo appearances, you don't buy a lesser-talented player because you feel he'd be happier with less game-time, you buy players you feel will be the best for your team at all times.
If we bought a new striker, then I'd be expecting one who himself expected to challenge Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov, Owen etc for a starting slot on the team-sheet...

Scoreboard Red

The games played over a 9 month season Johno, not a few weeks, however much you want to down play Berbatovs importance this season the fact remains without his goals we wouldn't be anywhere near a league title challenge right now, thats just how it is, earlier in the season when Rooney went AWOL and Hernandez was still adjusting we relied on Berbatov and Nani massively our attacking play was 100% reliant on them, both those have stepped aside somewhat for Rooney and Hernandez over recent weeks thats how it works and thats why its called a squad game, you cant rely on 2 players for an entire season, Berbatovs played a huge part in where we stand this year.

Ill say this, if you think Rooney and Hernandez with a few kids and a has-been is a good enough front line for an entire season your in for a shock.
I've never once downplayed Berbatov's role in the games he contributed, I have downplayed the games he hasn't contributed however but I'm responding to your claim, or suggestion, that United will suffer greatly if Berbatov were to leave us, despite knowing (hopefully) that United have lost several big names under Ferguson (Whiteside, Strachan, Ince, Kanchelskis, Hughes, Cantona, Beckham, Ruud, Ronaldo etc) and have always come out of the other side strong.
I'm thankful of his goals this year, but how many can I ask contributed to getting us to an almost certain CL Final?
I haven't said anywhere either we would have been in the same position without Berbatov this season, but had we another striker who knows? We might have plenty more, we might have plenty less?
I'm talking about your claim that we'll be worse off without Berbatov because I can guarantee you United will not suffer and we will find a player to match or better him from somewhere, trust me.

Scoreboard Red

As is what's likely to happen after having sold Ronaldo, you mean?
Didn't have any particular player in mind but you look at us having Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes leave; we won the league in 1996, 97, 99, 2000 within six years of them leaving.
Ruud left, one of our best ever goalscorers but we won the league three times on the bounce in the subsequent years after.
Ronaldo's gone and yet we look like winning the league and AT LEAST getting to the European Cup final within two years of him leaving with similar seasons to come, I'm sure of that.

MalteseRedDevil

I'm talking about your claim that we'll be worse off without Berbatov because I can guarantee you United will not suffer and we will find a player to match or better him from somewhere, trust me.
This I agree with, There is no way United will suffer because berba is sold. my previous comments were about weather or not the manager would sign a new forward to replace him. There is no doubt that he will be replaced internally or externally.

Allforone

I've never once downplayed Berbatov's role in the games he contributed, I have downplayed the games he hasn't contributed however but I'm responding to your claim, or suggestion, that United will suffer greatly if Berbatov were to leave us, despite knowing (hopefully) that United have lost several big names under Ferguson (Whiteside, Strachan, Ince, Kanchelskis, Hughes, Cantona, Beckham, Ruud, Ronaldo etc) and have always come out of the other side strong.
I'm thankful of his goals this year, but how many can I ask contributed to getting us to an almost certain CL Final?
I haven't said anywhere either we would have been in the same position without Berbatov this season, but had we another striker who knows? We might have plenty more, we might have plenty less?

Of course wed be worse off for losing Berbatov, who do we get to fill his role if he goes? whos at the same level and happy to rotate with Rooney and Hernandez? any ideas? as it stands we have 3 quality striking options and at any given time have the option of a top class striker on the bench, if Berbatov goes then we either fill his position with a kid (Welbeck/Macheda) or Owen (has-been) or sign someone else whos blatantly not going to be of the same level given we're not going to want to drop either Hernandez or Rooney, what top class striker joins knowing their bench material?

Its just inevitable that we wouldn't be able to replace his role in the squad with someone better unless we went out and spent 30 million on some fancy foreigner who'd demand to be first choice and demote Hernandez in the process, which aint gonna happen is it.

Allforone

By the way im not suggesting if we lost Berbatov we would suddenly become unsuccessful, that's not my point at all, the squad as a whole without Berbatov would be a lesser one imo given wed clearly not get a better player to fullfill the rotation forward role at the club.

Scoreboard Red

Of course wed be worse off for losing Berbatov, who do we get to fill his role if he goes? whos at the same level and happy to rotate with Rooney and Hernandez? any ideas? as it stands we have 3 quality striking options and at any given time have the option of a top class striker on the bench, if Berbatov goes then we either fill his position with a kid (Welbeck/Macheda) or Owen (has-been) or sign someone else whos blatantly not going to be of the same level given we're not going to want to drop either Hernandez or Rooney, what top class striker joins knowing their bench material?

Its just inevitable that we wouldn't be able to replace his role in the squad with someone better unless we went out and spent 30 million on some fancy foreigner who'd demand to be first choice and demote Hernandez in the process, which aint gonna happen is it.
Off the top of my head, I dunno who we'd get in but remember Andy Cole joined United when we had Hughes and Cantona, Yorke joined United knowing full-well we had Cole, Sheringham and Solskjaer, so did Ruud, Rooney joined after we'd already bought Saha and Smith that calendar year and Berbatov was bought despite having Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez so I don't think there are many strikers who turn down the chance to join United if they saw fit. Why we wouldn't consider signing a quality striker is bizarre, you're saying we shouldn't attempt to buy quality because they'll be automatic third choice, as you can see from the above examples, that's not the case at all, they have to all fight for their worth and Fergie will utilise the best option as he sees fit.
You're stating as if Berbatov is the best striker United have ever had; he's good and played well but as you can clearly see mate (perhaps you don't want to, I'm not sure) he isn't a fit for United to be at their best. Players come and players go unfortunately mate, it's clear you have an affinity for Berbatov and that's admirable but you have to understand United will always find good players even when good players have left...

Devil may care

The big question really is whether Berbatov is happy with the bench role. I've never been a fan but at this point I can't see much reason to sell him, given any kind of quality replacement would cost £30M and want to be first choice, something very unlikely to happen given Roonarito is the future.

Scoreboard Red

By the way im not suggesting if we lost Berbatov we would suddenly become unsuccessful, that's not my point at all, the squad as a whole without Berbatov would be a lesser one imo given wed clearly not get a better player to fullfill the rotation forward role at the club.
Well if we sold Berbatov, then yes we'd be weakened and lesser for it....until we replaced him with a new signing.
We're talking about Berbatov here, not Messi.
Even with Ronaldo gone, we've managed to get on with things and whilst Valencia hasb't been a replacement, the other sigings and exisiting players have been utilised effectively to make us as good if not better to when he was here with us.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The big question really is whether Berbatov is happy with the bench role. I've never been a fan but at this point I can't see much reason to sell him, given any kind of quality replacement would cost £30M and want to be first choice, something very unlikely to happen given Roonarito is the future.
Over the course of a season, there are plenty of games where he will play. The question is whether he is happy not to start the big games (well, he could be pretty used to that anyway).

As for buying a striker, with Welbeck and Macheda coming through, I dont think Fergie will buy a forward anytime soon

finneh

The problem with Berbatov in my opinion is that he doesn't bring that much of a different dimension to our play (which is what you need in a 3rd choice striker), also he isn't that influential coming off the bench. If he was replaced I could see us bringing in more of a target man, since as a team when things aren't going our way we do have a tendancy to launch the ball forward unsuccesfully.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Berbatov is a class player. He's just a different option to both Rooney and Hernandez. The way the team has been set up and played without him in Europe and other big matches has just worked better. Not Berbatov's fault he plays a different style. He was purchased with the coaches knowing his strength and weaknesses.

Scoreboard Red

Berbatov is a class player. He's just a different option to both Rooney and Hernandez. The way the team has been set up and played without him in Europe and other big matches has just worked better. Not Berbatov's fault he plays a different style. He was purchased with the coaches knowing his strength and weaknesses.
But surely Berbatov was bought to play in the big games, he wasn't bought just to be benched for the majority of the last third of each of the three seasons he's been with us.
If that's the case, then it is his fault as he's not performed to the expectation he was meant to.

Commadus

Well we have 3 massive games - Arsenal away, Schalke at home followed by Chelsea at home. Is Berba going to be fit for these games or even if he was would he even have started?

Shimo

Nani was being touted as the player by many that should have got POTY but, right now Valencia is being chosen ahead of him because of his form, freshness and perhaps even qualities required based on our formation where there is even more onus on the wingers to defend. Does that mean he wasn't bought for the big games or isn't vital to our overall success?

Berbatov was bought almost 3 years ago, a lot has changed in that time and even if you absolutely know 100% shadow of a doubt at that time he was bought to play in the big games - things have changed. It doesn't mean he is a poor player or a poor buy or even that he doesn't fit. He still plays a massive role in being one of 3 class strikers that Fergie has the option to play.

Fergie keeps saying it - we have a lot of players available, some are in form and others are coming back, it's a selection nightmare but, one we want to have. Unless it's the price tag along, don't understand why a case isn't being made about all those other players being left out of the starting 11.

Rooney/Chicha works right now and Fergie is rightfully sticking to it but, we'll never know if it happened to be Berbatov/Rooney playing well - with Rooney in this form, in this role that perhaps SAF might have chosen to play both in big games. There have certainly been signs over the season that the partnership was getting better.

Commadus

Nani was being touted as the player by many that should have got POTY but, right now Valencia is being chosen ahead of him because of his form, freshness and perhaps even qualities required based on our formation where there is even more onus on the wingers to defend. Does that mean he wasn't bought for the big games or isn't vital to our overall success?

Berbatov was bought almost 3 years ago, a lot has changed in that time and even if you absolutely know 100% shadow of a doubt at that time he was bought to play in the big games - things have changed. It doesn't mean he is a poor player or a poor buy or even that he doesn't fit. He still plays a massive role in being one of 3 class strikers that Fergie has the option to play.

Fergie keeps saying it - we have a lot of players available, some are in form and others are coming back, it's a selection nightmare but, one we want to have. Unless it's the price tag along, don't understand why a case isn't being made about all those other players being left out of the starting 11.

Rooney/Chicha works right now and Fergie is rightfully sticking to it but, we'll never know if it happened to be Berbatov/Rooney playing well - with Rooney in this form, in this role that perhaps SAF might have chosen to play both in big games. There have certainly been signs over the season that the partnership was getting better.
Try as you might feel Rooney and Berba could work I don't think it ever would on a consistent basis to get the best out of both strikers. One would invariably have to play a different role to accomodate the other.

In football like life you take your chances and it's been three years for Berba and he has done well in this season but for a multitude of reasons his number of appearances and form at the tail end of the last 3 seasons has wained.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
No negotiations on a new contract before the end of the season

Bulgarian star Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United would not twist the hands of the club for a possible re-signing the contract. According to his agent Emil Danchev, it would put immense financial claims when negotiations begin.

Recently been reports that he wanted more than 120 thousand pounds a week, and this was the maximum amount that the Reds' offered.
more info

Even goal.com site announced that negotiations for new contracts have fallen through the attacker. However, they actually have not even begun.

"The theme of money is not mentioned. Mitko himself would not put impossible demands, if he ever get the opportunity to finish his career at Old Trafford. That we have spoken to him two of us.

No negotiations on a new contract because his current expires in 2012 and has an option to renew for another. No need to talk about things in a time when Manchester United fighting for two awards, "said Danchev in front of Darik .

Managers' expectations are any negotiations to begin in coming months, but after the season. He denied Berbatov to have had an offer from another club, although more often his name is associated with interest from everywhere.

"Normally Mitko is tasty morsel for many clubs, although his 30 years and everything that is written about it. Such official talks was not, and he repeatedly has said he wants to finish his career at United "said Danchev.

Berbatov has come in for fierce criticism in England because of gaps in the match with Manchester City in the FA Cup. It was at that match and he got a groin injury for which he has missed the last few games of his team.

"Injury resolves, it two days resulted in normal training. By the end of the week will be completely rebuilt. Read and laugh at any fantasies that coaching has a groin injury and is seated on the bench for negotiations," said Danchev.

Bulgarian is a leader in the goalscorers in the Premiership with 21 goals account and the conquest of this prize will emf of the goals by the end of the season.

"He is waiting for the chance and will try to increase its assets by 21 goals this season. Mitko already accustomed to the comments of his address. He knows it will be in the spotlight because he is a foreigner.

After the match, with City and other flaws attackers did, but it's normal to be more spared because they were English internationals. But Mitko has calmed, "said his agent yet.
????? ????? ????????? ????????? ??? ??????? - Sportni.bg

Used Google translate, so its not the best translation, but at least this clears things out.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Berba is a top quality forward with one of the best touches I have ever seen. I for one would be delighted if he finishes his Career at Utd.

Devil may care

Over the course of a season, there are plenty of games where he will play. The question is whether he is happy not to start the big games (well, he could be pretty used to that anyway).

As for buying a striker, with Welbeck and Macheda coming through, I dont think Fergie will buy a forward anytime soon
I think it was one thing to be benched for big games when not playing well, but I imagine he must be frustrated this season given he's top scorer and is still mostly on the bench.

Perhaps, Welbeck has done well this season, but Macheda is still very much a stalled work in progress, his loan choice was poor.

Scoreboard Red

Why forgotten man Dimitar Berbatov won't be toasting United's Champions League succes

By David McDonnell

Published 11:30 28/04/11

Amid the euphoria of Manchester United's emphatic 2-0 Champions League semi-final first-leg win over Schalke, there was one player who probably wasn't dong cartwheels of joy at home at the final whistle.

For Dimitar Berbatov, the prospect of another Champions League final sat on the bench is galling, and not what he joined United for when he became their record signing in the summer of 2008 in a £30million switch from Tottenham.

But Berbatov, who missed the trip to Schalke with a slight groin strain, has had to get used to the role of outcast at United in recent months, having started just three of their last 13 games in all competitions.

He was left on the bench for the 2009 Champions League Final against Barcelona in Rome and suffered the same fate for both legs of this season's quarter-final tie against Chelsea.

It has been a similar story in other high-profile Premier League games.

Berbatov failed to make the starting line-up for United's Premier League trip to Chelsea last month and was among the subs for the visits of Arsenal and Manchester City to Old Trafford, as well as the FA Cup clash with Arsene Wenger's side.

Moreover, half of Berbatov's 21 Premier League goals this season have come in just three games, while Hernandez - who has been a revelation - has enjoyed a more even spread, scoring on 16 different occasions.

In simple terms, Sir Alex Ferguson does not trust Berbatov when it comes to United's big games, the success of the partnership between Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez having cemented the Bulgarian's status as third-choice striker.

The pace and movement of Hernandez, which has allowed Rooney to thrive in the No.10 position off him and control the tempo of games in the role of playmaker, has given United a different dimesnion and seen Berbatov left out in the cold.

It has been a remarkable fall from grace for Berbatov, the Premier League's leading goalscorer, who is likely to win the Golden Boot this summer and the boot from United in the summer as Fergie reshapes his squad.

United have a one-way clause in Berbatov's contract - which expires in a year's time - allowing them to extend his deal by 12 months, irrespective of the wishes of the player or his representatives.

But it seems a parting of the ways between Berbatov and United this summer is now inevitable, with neither party seeing any benefit in prolonging the stay of a player who has effectively been deemed surplus to requirements.

As the Premier League's leading goalscorer, with a year left on his contract, United could reasonably expect to get around £15million for Berbatov, half of what they paid for him and a good return on a 30-year-old.

With Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda returning to United this summer after loan spells at Sunderland and Sampdoria respectively, and Fergie reportedly looking at Napoli's Uruguayan striker Edison Cavani, Berbatov's Old Trafford career looks over.

It says everything that Berbatov is likely to play in the second-leg of United's semi-final tie against Schalke at Old Trafford next Wednesday, effectively a dead rubber with Fergie's men leading 2-0 at the halfway stage with one foot already in the final.

But with the tie seemingly won and sandwiched by crucial Premier League games against Arsenal and Chelsea, Berbatov is likely to get a run-out, with the Rooney and Hernandez partnership broken up to keep one or both fresh.

One of Fergie's greatest managerial strengths has been his ability to spot when a player has ceased to be effective for United and must be moved on, the likes of Roy Keane, David Beckham and Ruud van Nistelrooy among the big-name casualties.

Only recently Fergie said: "It's a horrible thing to say, but you can't be sentimental in this job. I love the players that I've had and I've been very, very fortunate to have had great players who have come through my career with me.

"But my job is to manage United, to produce results and I'm no different from any other manager. I'll not be regarded in the same way if I'm not successful. Everything to do with me is black and white.

"If it's on the football field and I see something that I feel is a retrograde step for the club, I have to act and make decisions, which is something that I have always been good at."

Berbatov, it seems, is set to be the next high profile victim of Fergie's ruthless managerial streak.

David McDonnell on Dimitar Berbatov Why forgotten man wont be toasting Manchester United Champions League success - David McDonnell - MirrorFootball.co.uk

redwhiteblack

I'd be happy to see Welbeck come back into the squad, with perhaps Owen moving on. Berbatov deserves to stay, as long as he's happy as third choice striker, because that's what he is. Hernandez, as I've said before, will be regarded as one of the very best strikers in the world within a few years, you can see that in him. So Berbatov must be cool with that. If he is, great, let him stay.

I think a squad with Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov and Welbeck would be fantastic.

Scoreboard Red

I'd be happy to see Welbeck come back into the squad, with perhaps Owen moving on. Berbatov deserves to stay, as long as he's happy as third choice striker, because that's what he is. Hernandez, as I've said before, will be regarded as one of the very best strikers in the world within a few years, you can see that in him. So Berbatov must be cool with that. If he is, great, let him stay.

I think a squad with Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov and Welbeck would be fantastic.
Does he deserve to stay though? Obviously, it's an opinion but look at other cases.

Ruud; one of our all-time top scorers, averaged 30 a season over five seasons he was with us but he was considered surplus to requirements and was just thirty also - there was the background story he was feuding with Ronaldo which annoyed Fergie but ultimately he was seen as not fitting the future set-up Fergie wanted to send out.

Phil Neville; proving he is still a consistent and versatile performer for Everton yet left us six years ago in his prime. My thoughts are we could have done with Phil Nev a few times these last five years in defence (either full-back role) or even in midfield as a tackler which he does well.
Neville certainly didn't deserve to be sold as he put in a decade of consistent service.

Mark Hughes; only 31 (similar to Berb) when United signed Andy Cole. United were lacking in strike-force even with Cantona and McClair (who was by now more midfield and scarcely used by the mid-Nineties) already added to Cole's purchase so he could've easily been rotated and used, but wanted first-team football despite being a home-grown United legend. He played all but four league games that season in his final year for us.

Point is, all the above wanted football, two of them United stalwarts from the youth ranks with great contributions over a decade each; Berbatov has had ONE good season with us and is still not favoured at the crucial periods and he has been with us three years unlike the rest.

I'm not saying he should be and I'm not saying he definitely will but as history shows, he's more likely to move on than these lot and they actually did do...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
They left because they wanted to, that's the main thing. It's not about whether we want him to, of course we do, it's whether he wants to stay.

Scoreboard Red

They left because they wanted to, that's the main thing. It's not about whether we want him to, of course we do, it's whether he wants to stay.
Well in Ruud's case he was marginalised, perhaps similar to what Berbatov is now although in both cases you could say he was used 'sparingly', and with Neville and Hughes, Fergie didn't exactly fight hammer and nail to retain either did he?
My point is Berbatov will likely feel marginalised or unloved at the prospect at being benched, but at the same time he might think he'd like to stay and fight for his place but if United bred players feel inclined to move on due to them feeling they're not being used to their full extent, wouldn't a moody Bulgarian?
There's no doubt he'd be a great player to have in our 2011/12 squad but he'll have to realise he may be benched more than he'd like...

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Ruud put in multiple transfer requests before being marginalised, if you believe Sir Alex. And he said that Neville had earned an immense level of respect at the club and from the manager that, like Nicky Butt, if he made it clear he wanted to leave for more first team football he'd let him.

If he wants to leave I think Sir Alex would understand, but given how highly Berbatov's spoke of the club and has mentioned this is the pinnacle of his career - that he was somewhat bizarrely slated for - I don't think he'd take that decision lightly. He's already started more games this season than last so...

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'm not sure we will sell unless the fee is too tempting given that next year onwards he won't be worth much given his age and the short time left on his contract. He is a great player but Hernandez has had such a great season and combines so well with Rooney that it isn't totally out of the question as it would normally be when a player is doing so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.