Dimitar Berbatov | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses
Ruud put in multiple transfer requests before being marginalised, if you believe Sir Alex. And he said that Neville had earned an immense level of respect at the club and from the manager that, like Nicky Butt, if he made it clear he wanted to leave for more first team football he'd let him.

If he wants to leave I think Sir Alex would understand, but given how highly Berbatov's spoke of the club and has mentioned this is the pinnacle of his career - that he was somewhat bizarrely slated for - I don't think he'd take that decision lightly. He's already started more games this season than last so...
I remember that. People complained it showed his lack of ambition. Odd.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Yep, he could sign a new contract and say how terrific it is to be a part of this squad and how he understands that Hernandez is great competition but he's ready for it and still happy with his contribution and people would still twist that to make it a negative reflection of his character, no doubt.

Scoreboard Red

Yep, he could sign a new contract and say how terrific it is to be a part of this squad and how he understands that Hernandez is great competition but he's ready for it and still happy with his contribution and people would still twist that to make it a negative reflection of his character, no doubt.
Has he signed the new contract? Last I heard he hasn't and United would surely want him inked in before going into the Summer with a twattish agent flaunting him around to other clubs trying to force United into a higher salary if they want to retain him.
If he signs before June then it's a good omen he's staying, of not then I'd be thinking he's window-shopping...

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Hmm, this is the problem. We've got a tried and tested method vs. Arsenal, and Berbatov isn't usually a component of it. Thing is, we're definitely going to lose him if we don't begin to start him soon. As much as this current situation with the strikeforce delights me in terms of the depth in the team, a striker of his quality should not be satisfied with his current role in the squad.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
As good as a player he is it just hasn't really worked out for him at United. He'd be a handy player to keep around because, Rooney aside, our other strikers should not be relied on (age, injuries or inexperience respectively) but I wouldn't be upset if we let him go.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Official he is .

Berbatov back for Arsenal trip

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Dimitar Berbatov is available for Sunday's huge clash with Arsenal as the boss targets three points that would move United closer to clinching a record 19th title.

The Barclays Premier League's top scorer has been sidelined since the FA Cup semi-final defeat to City but has shrugged off a groin strain to make the squad for the trip to London.

Darren Fletcher is likelier to resume his comeback on Wednesday against Schalke after appearing in the first half of the reserves' draw with Arsenal at Old Trafford.

"Berba's trained all week and is fit and available," said Sir Alex. "Darren came through 45 minutes with the reserves fine and I may include him on Wednesday as it'd be good to get another 45 minutes out of him then.

"Darren's putting weight back on and is working hard in the gym. He'll be a great addition to the squad at this time of year."

The boss is delighted to have so much strength in depth as he feels more points will be dropped this season, even by title rivals Chelsea, who face Tottenham on Saturday.

"I've got a strong squad and can make changes if I want to on Sunday," he added. "I've got good freshness in the squad with Anderson, Ji-sung Park, Antonio Valencia and Fabio all returning recently. It gives you a boost at this time of the year."Wayne Rooney and Chicharito have been a revelation in the last few weeks as well.

"People were looking at Arsenal and Chelsea as title deciders for some time and they probably are now as we go into the games. We're in good form and I hope to keep that going. Why can't we win the matches with the form we're in? We've got a good chance. A point at Arsenal would be a good result but we're going there to win.

"I still think there's drama ahead in the title race. I think teams will drop points - including Chelsea."
From the official site.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Amazing how there's been so much said about Berbatov being benched for big European games, not because of form but because of tactical reasons, and practically nothing on the exact same thing happening to Nani.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Sorry evra, I didn't see it. It might be worth expanding on the contrast between the two - Nani has arguably been more frustrating at times in his United career than Berba and cost a fair chunk too. He got plenty of stick at the time but it's been completely dropped now that he's delivering the goods. With Berbatov it seems as though people will use any old reason to have a go.

I do tend to avoid most of Aaron's posts Sharky to be honest.

evra

Bitten by an adder as a baby, the adder died.
Sorry evra, I didn't see it. It might be worth expanding on the contrast between the two - Nani has arguably been more frustrating at times in his United career than Berba and cost a fair chunk too. He got plenty of stick at the time but it's been completely dropped now that he's delivering the goods. With Berbatov it seems as though people will use any old reason to have a go.
There are definitely parallels between the two, I suppose Nani gets more breaks because of his age.

Commadus

Nani has been very indifferent in his last few games as has Berba. Berba has been benched for as much as tactical reasons as well as form.

But which other of our players get dropped for tactical reasons in big games?

Cina

I am a huge Nani fan but yea, he's not been great since the Liverpool game, bit of a shame really. He'll play against Arse though, he always rips them apart. I'm sure he'll play in the return leg against Schalke too, get him a good run in the team.

Laphroaig

Nani has been very indifferent in his last few games as has Berba. Berba has been benched for as much as tactical reasons as well as form.

But which other of our players get dropped for tactical reasons in big games?
Scholes and Anderson. Park dropped for tactical reasons a lot of time, though not in the big games.

hungrywing

Official he is .

Darren's putting weight back on
From the official site.
Bold part made me laugh. Then again, he must have been quite ill.

Amazing how there's been so much said about Berbatov being benched for big European games, not because of form but because of tactical reasons, and practically nothing on the exact same thing happening to Nani.
Not really amazing. In a way it says those people have higher hopes for him and are frustrated.

Shimo

Hope he starts with Rooney on Sunday, should be motivated and will give Chicha a rest.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Berbatov will start zero big games if Hernandez and Rooney are both fit.

Nani might start even if his rival wingers are all fit.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
berbatov will be gone in the summer.

im going to put money on that! I just get the feeling he wont (and shouldn't) want ot be sitting on the bench.

Carl

He's not first choice. It's as simple as that.

He'll play Vs Schalke.

Leg-End

People said the same stuff last season and he came back this season with more goals. I think its clear injury has knocked his form back abit but hes not been a strong season finisher so far for us anyway.

He's still been brilliant though, people tend to forget that when hes out of the team.

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
berbatov will be gone in the summer.

im going to put money on that! I just get the feeling he wont (and shouldn't) want ot be sitting on the bench.
My expectation as well. I am hearing rumours that the contract extension talks have stalled since they are offerring him a year with a salary increase and he wants two years. I think he will go and play somewhere else. Sad about this if it happens.

Sat on a flight yesterday next to Stoichkov and we talked about football a lot. He definitely thinks that Berba will go in the summer. When I asked him where in his opinion he would fit best with his style of play, he said that Italy or Germany. He has also heard the rumours about Bayern showing an interest. I asked him why not Spain, and he thinks that Spanish football has become increasingly quick over the last couple of years and that he would not be a great fit there.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
My expectation as well. I am hearing rumours that the contract extension talks have stalled since they are offerring him a year with a salary increase and he wants two years. I think he will go and play somewhere else. Sad about this if it happens.

Sat on a flight yesterday next to Stoichkov and we talked about football a lot. He definitely thinks that Berba will go in the summer. When I asked him where in his opinion he would fit best with his style of play, he said that Italy or Germany. He has also heard the rumours about Bayern showing an interest. I asked him why not Spain, and he thinks that Spanish football has become increasingly quick over the last couple of years and that he would not be a great fit there.
Stoichkov knows nothing. Pure speculations. Like the rest of us.

Phelan said, Berba's contract is for 6 years, 4+2. (I thought it was for 4+1). He said that in an interview, so make of this what you will, but I think unless Berba is unhappy playing second fiddle to Hernandez, I don't see him go.

It's just that the club offers 1 year contract extensions to all 30+ players and Berba is no exception. It could be just that simple

By the way, how's Hristo doing? I used to teach his kids and spent a day with him a few years back, here in Chicago

A grade

The Languid One
Lurking in Berba's receeding hairline, stroking my
Stoichkov knows nothing. Pure speculations. Like the rest of us.

Phelan said, Berba's contract is for 6 years, 4+2. (I thought it was for 4+1). He said that in an interview, so make of this what you will, but I think unless Berba is unhappy playing second fiddle to Hernandez, I don't see him go.

It's just that the club offers 1 year contract extensions to all 30+ players and Berba is no exception. It could be just that simple

By the way, how's Hristo doing? I used to teach his kids and spent a day with him a few years back, here in Chicago
He's doing well. Hasn't changed from the days when he was a player:D He was on his way back from Vietnam where he was negotiating the possibility to become their national team manager. Didn't work out, financial differences. From what I understood, he asked for 200k USD per month.

twitter thread suggester
I really think Fergie is doing Berba a disservice by playing him alone up top so often. He's touched the ball about 4 times this first half, and while he did something great 2 out of those 4 times, I'd like to see him much more involved in games which is only really going to happen with a partner up front.

Carl

We'll finish the game with Berbs and Owen upfront together. They'll get a good 25-30 mins I reckon.

hungrywing

I really think Fergie is doing Berba a disservice by playing him alone up top so often. He's touched the ball about 4 times this first half, and while he did something great 2 out of those 4 times, I'd like to see him much more involved in games which is only really going to happen with a partner up front.
It just feels worse because he's been out of the limelight for so long and it's two games running now counting the City game. What I don't get is why we haven't at least occasionally tried to bypass the midfield and pass the ball to his feet, let him work his magic until those partners can make their way upfield. Worked pretty well the first time.

RedMist99

The assist to Anderson speaks volumes about his commitment to the team cause. He is supposedly fighting for his United future (not that I believe that) but is fighting for a first team place also and is currently out of favour and short of goals recently. You could have forgiven him for taking that shot on, especially with the game being as good as over.

Well played Berb. Not your best night but incredibly unselfish

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
It was a great turn and ball into Ando. He had a couple of other moments too. But sadly if you had to pick our worst player tonight it would be him.

I thought at times he was very static and didnt give many options in a lot of attacks

nemanja15

Looking at his body language and emotions tonight, he didn't look to me like he wants to be, or is going to be forced, elsewhere any time soon. He had a good game. Happy for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.