Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanche7

hes nowhere near to replace Valencia, potentially maybe a good palyer but no chance he would start next season, sounds more like sunderland singing, only to move to everton, later in his career.
I'm guessing you reached this conclusion after watching him regularly for months?

Sanche7

We just can't win can we?

When we buy established players - why aren't we buying guys like De Ligt? Why bother buying these old dudes when we can have the next best thing!

When we buy youngsters - why are we buying youngsters? We need quality now!

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's fantastic. Been rated for a very long time and has always had very high expectations on him.

He has the right mentality, he's fast, very physical and attacking. For 20 million euros in the current market he would be an incredible signing but it's one for the future, not for the present. If you're buying someone ready to start Odriozola is the best option on the market imo.

Porto aren't as good at selling as they used to be so this might happen.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

When we buy established players - why aren't we buying guys like De Ligt? Why bother buying these old dudes when we can have the next best thing!

It's not difficult. We should be signing u23s with 5+ years of experience at a top tier club for under 20m. They're a dime a dozen.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
We all know Mourinho also spends his weekends on watching Portuguese football so from time to time he'll sign someone from Primeira Liga.

I guess Chelsea supporters will agree to some degree ?

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

:lol:

It's the cirlce that turns in two directions, simultaneously.

Affirmation

He certainly seems to have a lot of potential that's for sure, especially if clubs with the stature of FC Bayern are rumoured to be interested in him. Personally though, I was wanting to see a more "established" acquisition especially in the full back area. Sandro certainly fits that criteria on the left and players such as Meunier and Sidibé would most definitely be welcome additions to our team for the right hand side of defence. I would not be completely against this signing though

Reactions: Raoul

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There's a lot to like in that video. Quick, strong and seems decent in the air. Good cross on him, uses both feet and willing to take players on. Not to mention a few flashy stepovers!

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Its not about established v younger players - but more so how we go about spending our money on positions we actually need the most help in. CB is last on the list (other than keeper of course) so we don't need to be spending too much there this summer, especially after already having bought a CB in the past two summers. Therefore if we were to buy a CB, a younger option would make more sense, as one not buying one at all.

el3mel

Probably not true as Mourinho doesn't sign young players. Calm down it's a sarcasm.

Zoo

People will still find a way to complain about this.

Ban

hes nowhere near to replace Valencia, potentially maybe a good palyer but no chance he would start next season, sounds more like sunderland singing, only to move to everton, later in his career.
Thanks for the info. Could you elaborate a bit more about him. Which are his best assets, what's his style of play, what are his negative sides. Thanks.

Rajma

That would be an exciting and smart signing in the position we’re lacking competition for a good price. What’s not to like, get it done.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He has only one year left on his contract with Porto but the club has a option to extended by two years. If Castles is correct and we've offered Dalot personal terms, then I think this deal is in the closing stages.

I've heard alot of good things about this player in the last 6 months and one of my friends has been raving about him for some time.

prateik

RB+LB who wont play much and is a backup.. Replacement for Darmian then.. Same-ish cost too after factoring in the lower wages.

Hopefully he can step up and be first choice in a couple of seasons.

Bojan11

I think people underestimate the fact that Valencia actually plays according to instruction.
So the instruction of Valencia is to constantly hit the shins of defenders? He’s been doing that since Fergie. People love to defend mediocrity but Valencia was shocking going forwards towards the end of Fergies reign. Everyone sighed when we lined up with Young and Valencia because we knew there would be no creativity. Now we play them as fullbacks and their creative output is just the same.

DownRiver

Its not about established v younger players - but more so how we go about spending our money on positions we actually need the most help in. CB is last on the list (other than keeper of course) so we don't need to be spending too much there this summer, especially after already having bought a CB in the past two summers. Therefore if we were to buy a CB, a younger option would make more sense, as one not buying one at all.
I think he would be a great buy. The lack of world-class RBs available are few and far in-between. So what do you want Mourinho to do, go get an average player? No, he looks for the next best thing which is a highly rated young player who has got world class potential.

Yes, it will take time and patience. Valencia is 32 and maybe Mourinho feels that in one or two seasons he could transition into the first-team. Fergie used to do this all the time, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It is just about balancing risk and reward. Clearly, he is extremely highly-rated and you probably don't see the top 5 going after him because they all have great RB-except us.

I also think a player's attitude is important and Mourinho has hinted about needing players with a certain mindset over the past year. According to the article he is great in that department and considering Mourinho is Portuguese he would know about him more than most.

Overall, this is positive as many people bash Mourinho for always getting experienced players who are 28-29 years old. Maybe McKenna has given his say considering he coaches in that level?

*This transfer has Javier Ribalta written all over it

Last edited:

Hamadovich86

Mourinho must still be very well connected at Porto cz this kid played 4 games in the league last season. Surely he must've been told good things about him but I would've preferred someone whos ready to challenge for a starting XI position.

Rajma

That’s exactly the type of signing I expected us to start making in the future given our scouting reinforcements in the recent past.

Axkiko

I would rather give a chance to TFM. This signing won't improve our starting line up

Canagel

I don't understand this transfer. If he's coming to be an understudy for Valencia then why not just recall TFM? What does this mean for him then? Probably the club will see him as a DM. Otherwise it doesn't make sense. If he's coming then it has to be to replace Valencia. We can't go another season with him as first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.