Diogo Dalot | Done Deal | Speaks better English than Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't seen him play.
Is he better than other young right backs like Odriozola or Pavard?
Dalot is potentially a world class right back. Can't really compare him to Odriozola at the moment due to the Spaniard being more experienced due to his age...

Classical Mechanic

I agree with you. We have many understudy players. This window i wanted proven quality. Not another lindelof.
When we signed Lindelof there were plenty of people saying he wasn’t that good. Here we have a lot of effusive praise for this guy from those that have seen him. It’s something at least.

Wayne's World

He won't be allowed cross the halfway line under Mourinho anyway so waste of time producing video's of him crossing the ball......

Only joking hope he turns out to be a good signing for us, very much under the radar from us.

Devil may care

I've only seen a bit of him, he always looks composed and he's a decent unit with solid technique, but it seems Dalot of people have Dalot of good things to say about him, and given Valencia is the ultimate dog soldier then it's not a surprise we've opted for an understudy as opposed to a RB starter as mourinho is obssessed with him, plus I am not sure Sidibie and Cancelo were great options at the prices likely required, £17M for a young talent like this is long term thinking.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Wow, these videos of him makes me giddy. This better not end up in him signing a new contract with porto!

C'est Moi Cantona

With attacking signing Jose seems to just go for the obvious, but with defensive signings he's a bit more canny, and usually right, so I'm in.

Nick7

Honestly there's feck all world class right backs that are available right now. It's either pay through the nose for a decent one, or buy young and potentially get a world class one.

It's all well and good saying X player is better than Valencia, but it's another thing if they actually are better. Most of the caf was convinced Darmian was better than Valencia, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened one of the more hyped right backs people seem to desperately want (namely Cancelo)

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Honestly there's feck all world class right backs that are available right now. It's either pay through the nose for a decent one, or buy young and potentially get a world class one.

It's all well and good saying X player is better than Valencia, but it's another thing if they actually are better. Most of the caf was convinced Darmian was better than Valencia, I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened one of the more hyped right backs people seem to desperately want (namely Cancelo)
I can tell you Cancelo is most definitely not as good as Valencia and that there is 0% chance Mourinho will sign him.

Nick7

I can tell you Cancelo is most definitely not as good as Valencia and that there is 0% chance Mourinho will sign him.
I agree but that doesn't stop some people hyping him up and saying he's better than Valencia. Sidibe too, his youtube videos look decent hit people seem convinced he's much better than Valencia. Grass is always greener.

Mercurial

Nice diamond in the rough type signing. Looks promising, do hope we get him aboard.

flappyjay

I agree but that doesn't stop some people hyping him up and saying he's better than Valencia. Sidibe too, his youtube videos look decent hit people seem convinced he's much better than Valencia. Grass is always greener.
Don't forget Aurier

AgentP

I like the idea of signing a young talent. If he clicks immediately, it will be great. If not, he'll still have time to grow and learn. With no clear world class RBs available, this is the smartest way to go.

Sanche7

The Castles article mentioned something about Monaco asking for too much money or they may ask for too much money for Sidibe.
This could mean we are going to sign a big name player with us conserving funds or this could mean we see this guy as a better option than Sidibe.
Also 17.5 million is peanuts.

acnumber9

TFM wasn't a right back from the start. He's a CB or DMF. Mourinho shouldn't have even tried him in this position from the start imo.
Jose Mourinho wasn’t the one who started playing him at right back.

Silas

According to the Telegraph, he's set to be our first signing:

Dalot is due to be the first signing. United are also in the market for another full-back, a left-back, to strengthen in that area also.

Dalot has already agreed personal terms with United with the highly-rated Portugal Under-21 international expected to push captain Antonio Valencia hard for a place in the first-team.
If we've agreed personal terms and are willing to pay the release clause, it should be announced pretty soon. Within the next 48 hours, I'd say. Maybe.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Valencia is abysmal going forward which is strange considering he was bought as a winger. Players like Cancelo definitely have flaws, but would contribute much more than Valencia in attack and the build up.

I just hope if we do sign Dalot then he settles quickly and can start contributing in attack on the right side. A right side which is pretty non existent from a attacking sense.

Bratt

According to the Telegraph, he's set to be our first signing:

If we've agreed personal terms and are willing to pay the release clause, it should be announced pretty soon. Within the next 48 hours, I'd say. Maybe.
Feck!

tomaldinho1

£20m is tiny for transfer nowadays, happy with this. I suspect it's a case of him having a meager buyout clause and Jose thinking the timing is too good not to act as oppose to him being a prime target.

Also allows Jose to bring up Pep's £50m full back spree again...and again...and again as he looks to break him this season.

Gordon S

And what is there to be positive about ?

It should be clear as day that we need a serious quality injection on both fullback positions if we want to start challenging for major silverware. You would expect we are signing someone who is established and can be an immediate starter for us. What chance on that do you have with a 19 year old who has only played 6 games so far in the portguese first league ? I mean no offence to the player, he looks really good for a 19 year old player, he might become a star in a few years, that is great for him but we really need someone who is already a star and we need them right now. So this signing makes absolutley no sense for me, especially given how Mourinho is so wonderfully patient with young players, like someone said if this kid makes a mistake, it will be Valencia again for the rest of the season and where does that leave us in terms of progress ?
There are not many experienced rb's around that looks great at the moment. Taking a chance on this guy or perhaps Odriozola to rotate with Valencia next season might just be our best bet.

Nick7

How have you seen the season and conclude that is wrong is the hilarious thing imo.
Crossing isn't the only thing full backs should do. A full back that can cross but can't defend isn't worth shit. No use sending in one or two nice crosses a game if you're giving away 5 or 6 chances at the other end. Valencia is a very solid right back, we can improve on him, definitely. But it needs to be the right player. Buying any old over hyped right back for 60m won't improve us in the way you think it will.

Valencia is abysmal going forward which is strange considering he was bought as a winger. Players like Cancelo definitely have flaws, but would contribute much more than Valencia in attack and the build up.

I just hope if we do sign Dalot then he settles quickly and can start contributing in attack on the right side. A right side which is pretty non existent from a attacking sense.
Cancelo would give us absolutely nothing more than Valencia does. It's ridiculous even thinking about it. Cancelo just is not very good. Would be about as useful as Darmian, in fact he's probably not as impressive in Serie A as Darmian was.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
New Varela.

Seriously have no idea on his ability good or bad considering he's play so few senior games.

One thing I would say given Lindelof's issues in settling in don't expect too much for next season.

Either Valencia or someone else will still be starting majority of games at RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.