Diogo Dalot | Manchester United player

red4ever 79

Difficult to get sucked into the hype. I have seen people on here say that's our RB spot sorted for the next 10 years, and yet we believed the same when we had Rafael, Darmian. We have said the same about Shaw on the Left side. I dont see this guy being a starter next season, and therein lies the issue. I believe we should be recruiting ready made starters

luke511

Difficult to get sucked into the hype. I have seen people on here say that's our RB spot sorted for the next 10 years, and yet we believed the same when we had Rafael, Darmian. We have said the same about Shaw on the Left side. I dont see this guy being a starter next season, and therein lies the issue. I believe we should be recruiting ready made starters
You make it sound like there's an array of ready made top class right backs ready to be bought. There's not much out there and if we're spending a lot this summer on other positions then signing this guy makes all the sense in the world.

OldTrevil

Good stuff. Would be excellent business if we also got a typical Mourinho 28-30 year old experienced RB, who would become an instant starter with Diogo as the competition. I've had enough of Valencia and bored of laughing at people tying themseleves in knots pretending he is anything but a workhorse.

SpaceAttacker

Hello. First of three posts to welcome Khal Diogo to the club.

Can't possibly be worse than Valencia (As good as he has been, it's just depressing to watch us being clueless down the right) .

And it's always exciting to see fresh, unknown talents perform. At least he looks like he can whip balls in. Incredible to think Valencia could not develop that skill in so many years.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
I’ve never seen him actually play (just highlight etc.) but In my opinion the time for this signing is just perfect. As Valencia is getting older the crossing point of Dalot being starting 11 material and Valencia falling out of favor will probably be around the same time.

And even if he isn’t replacing Valencia soon – he will be a more reliable option on the left hand side than Young of Shaw (or at least I feel that way).

I’m pretty excited about the signing but not sure what the outcome will be.

Welcome Diogo!
No matter how excitingg every new signing is, and how you’re trying to twist the things young had a decent season. The kid is for future. If he settles well he’ll push for some regular gametime later in the season but he won’t suddenly turn our team into something more as almost anyfullback would struggle in such rigid system without wingers, even more Valencia.

Some people should stop expecting too much of a kid they’ve seen only on youtube.. no pressure on the kid. Let’s fix our game first

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Best full back of his generation and a six year contract, sounds to me like the son of Luke Shaw and David Moyes .... What could possibly go wrong!
Lets stop signing young players with great potential just in case their career is hit negatively by injuries & poor attitude.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Good stuff. Would be excellent business if we also got a typical Mourinho 28-30 year old experienced RB, who would become an instant starter with Diogo as the competition. I've had enough of Valencia and bored of laughing at people tying themseleves in knots pretending he is anything but a workhorse.
we already have two 32/33 years old RBs what's the point?

SprayingErmine6

No matter how excitingg every new signing is, and how you’re trying to twist the things young had a decent season. The kid is for future. If he settles well he’ll push for some regular gametime later in the season but he won’t suddenly turn our team into something more as almost anyfullback would struggle in such rigid system without wingers, even more Valencia.

Some people should stop expecting too much of a kid they’ve seen only on youtube.. no pressure on the kid. Let’s fix our game first
Yeah you're probably right... I mean Young was kinda reliable but i feel like we should make a signing that improves the Position right now and Dalot isn't that player (like Alex Sandro).

I just meant that the timing for a some fresh blood at the full back Position, especially as a replacement for Valencia, is very good and I hope that he will fill in his shoes.

Also it's hard for every type of player (even the experienced ones) to settle down in de Premier League as it is a league of it's own (speaking of how many games are played and a rougher playstyle than other countries).

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well he paid £30+ million for Lindelof and it feels like he doesn’t like him!
He's realised that unless you play 3 at the back and hide him, or play against some chumps at home, you simply cannot play him.

Hughie77

This boy is 19 . And looks like he's matured early, hope he can take to prem, this is step up , he does look at what I've seen a very good player, just hope the press and the ABUs give him some breaks when he makes mistakes cause he will ..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This boy is 19 . And looks like he's matured early, hope he can take to prem, this is step up , he does look at what I've seen a very good player, just hope the press and the ABUs give him some breaks when he makes mistakes cause he will ..
Think the press have been focusing more on the Fred transfer, they just see this as us signing a promising kid. So he could surprise a few people.

Alabaster Codify7

He's realised that unless you play 3 at the back and hide him, or play against some chumps at home, you simply cannot play him.

This is how I see it too. I don't think Jose realised just how timid and lacking in physicality Lindelof is. Too risky to rely on him in a back 4 against big teams. He's passable against the weaker sides.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is how I see it too. I don't think Jose realised just how timid and lacking in physicality Lindelof is. Too risky to rely on him in a back 4 against big teams. He's passable against the weaker sides.
I can only think that Jose thought we'd play 3 at the back a lot more than we ended up doing.
It can be the only reasoning.
Right from the word go, it looked like he was feeble in the air. How can you bring in a player weak in the air to play at centre back in England!

The ultimate insult, is he remind me a bit of me when I had to play centre back. Quite fast, and decent enough at tackling perhaps, but can't beat anyone in the air. I could get away with that, pissing about at the lowest level. He obviously cannot for us!

Strange for Jose, as centre back is normally an area he's strong at identifying players in.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Lindeloff was actually very good in 1v1 duels in Portugal and the same can be said now. The problem with Lindeloff is that whenever the ball goes above waist height his brain turns to mush. It's very strange, because if he applied his decision making when facing up to an attacker dribbling at him to a high ball he'd be a great defender.

DevilRed

Looks the type of signing/player that Fergie would have made.

Excited about his potential and seems like a mature lad for someone only 19 years of age. Hopefully the senior players take him under their wing and protect him.

Bodes well that he speaks very good English. Seems like he will adapt quickly.

Fosu-Mens

Looks the type of signing/player that Fergie would have made.
Bodes well that he speaks very good English. Seems like he will adapt quickly.
Yes and yes. Low risk.
If he struggles, we can loan him back to Liga NOS for a year and he can continue his developement there. Or sold for the same price.

Genuinely excited by this transfer, contrary to the Fred signing.

izec

Wtf...

From Men

Dalot will be fit for the start of pre-season training on July 15 after missing the final weeks of Porto's title-winning season with a knee injury.

It is understood that United were made aware of Dalot's medical reports and the player underwent a typical examination at Carrington.

Castia

Knew he had a knee problem...i said earlier in this thread before he signed. He had medical cheeks weeks ago in Manchester, a friend of a friend did the examination and told us ages ago he had a slight knee problem.

BarstoolProphet

Liverpool drop out of a transfer when they discover a knee problem, we still sign them. And now we have a new Phil Jones.

Just kidding, of course. Looking forward to see him in action.

Stacks

You make it sound like there's an array of ready made top class right backs ready to be bought. There's not much out there and if we're spending a lot this summer on other positions then signing this guy makes all the sense in the world.
what does "ready to be bought mean?" you put an offer on the table and test their resolve. My worry is that we will have Tony V as our main starter next season as this guy has 6 league appearances to his name. You don't go from non starter at Porto to suddenly starting for MANCHESTER UNITED in the EPL under all the lights and expectation. He seems untried and tested, which again means Tony V will likely be leading the charge down the right flank providing no width.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Knowing Jose, I think it'll be at least another 5+ years before/if we see Dalot as our first choice RB.
Jose prefers experienced players on the pitch and this guy just does not fit the profile.
He loaned out Tuanzebe, Mensah and Periera and I feel that Dalot may also be loaned out.
I don't quite understand the fuss about such a young player who has barely had any first team football of any kind and who will likely go on loan (or warm the bench).