Diogo Dalot | Manchester United player

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Wouldnt matter what he did with "supporters" like you around!
Relax buddy.
The guy is just pointing out that we shouldn't start proclaiming that our RB issues are sorted. We played the same game with Luke Shaw (which went spectactularly wrong, as you know).
We need to wait a few years, to see if this guy is genuinely any good (remember, he has barely played first team football for any team), after which we can make an assessment.
IMO, we'll need to wait at least 4 years, before we can make a concrete judgement on this guy.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Relax buddy.
The guy is just pointing out that we shouldn't start proclaiming that our RB issues are sorted. We played the same game with Luke Shaw (which went spectactularly wrong, as you know).
We need to wait a few years, to see if this guy is genuinely any good (remember, he has barely played first team football for any team), after which we can make an assessment.
IMO, we'll need to wait at least 4 years, before we can make a concrete judgement on this guy.
did everyone do what you said they did?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Knowing Jose, I think it'll be at least another 5+ years before/if we see Dalot as our first choice RB.
Jose prefers experienced players on the pitch and this guy just does not fit the profile.
He loaned out Tuanzebe, Mensah and Periera and I feel that Dalot may also be loaned out.
I don't quite understand the fuss about such a young player who has barely had any first team football of any kind and who will likely go on loan (or warm the bench).
Doesn't make much sense when he played Varane and Zouma from a young age. If he likes the look of you he'll play you. It's not experience but making the right decisions, some young players are very mature and have good decision making very early.

Zoo

Knowing Jose, I think it'll be at least another 5+ years before/if we see Dalot as our first choice RB.
Jose prefers experienced players on the pitch and this guy just does not fit the profile.
He loaned out Tuanzebe, Mensah and Periera and I feel that Dalot may also be loaned out.
I don't quite understand the fuss about such a young player who has barely had any first team football of any kind and who will likely go on loan (or warm the bench).
Do you talk to him regularly?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He'd need at least a year to adapt. So basically we haven't upgraded our fullbacks at all for next season.

We've spent 70m already, but feels like no closer to the league title.

stepic

He'd need at least a year to adapt. So basically we haven't upgraded our fullbacks at all for next season.

That’s my slight concern. I love young signings, and love this signing, but ideally he would have been bought when Valencia was still useful, and not when he’s already past it, to allow for that bedding in period.

tedketterman

While you're probably correct, there is a chance he could adapt quicker than that. Also, chill, there's plenty of time before the Jim White window slams shut.

That’s my slight concern. I love young signings, and love this signing, but ideally he would have been bought when Valencia was still useful, and not when he’s already past it, to allow for that bedding in period.
If we bought Dalot when Valencia was still a good player, Dalot would have been 12.

I don’t think this is the ideal situation as Valencia clearly is not good enough, but I suspect we have looked for an established RB, and the right one is not available. Retrospect is a wonderful thing, but Walker at £50m last year would have been perfect for us.

stepic

If we bought Dalot when Valencia was still a good player, Dalot would have been 12.

I don’t think this is the ideal situation as Valencia clearly is not good enough, but I suspect we have looked for an established RB, and the right one is not available. Retrospect is a wonderful thing, but Walker at £50m last year would have been perfect for us.
I meant to say a similar aged prospect, but a year or two ago.

Definitely a bit of a lack of rbs out there

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Strange to say that buying Fred hasn't got us closer to the title. Wasn't there a problem of Pogba not doing the dirty work in midfield in the 2nd half of the season? So now we've got someone better suited to play with Matic. I also think Dalot has a good chance of being our first choice right back this season.

Frank Grimes

Relax buddy.

*PFA awards 18/19*

"..and the PFA young player of the year award goes to Diogo Dalot. *man comes on whispers in announcers ear*

"Wait! because some genius on Redcafe stated Diogo can't be properly assessed for 4 years we have no choice but to award the second place player instead, congratulations Loris Karius."

*P.s I know Karius is 24.

Stacks

Strange to say that buying Fred hasn't got us closer to the title. Wasn't there a problem of Pogba not doing the dirty work in midfield in the 2nd half of the season? So now we've got someone better suited to play with Matic. I also think Dalot has a good chance of being our first choice right back this season.
based on his zero 1st team experience in a weaker league against lesser opposition? I wonder how he'll deal with all these aerial balls. hopefully better than Lindelof. I have zero expectation from the lad as he is untried. Fred could help of course but then we have one of the best defensive records in the league. personally I thought we need more creativity and ideas in the final 3rd than more steel.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
based on his zero 1st team experience in a weaker league against lesser opposition? I wonder how he'll deal with all these aerial balls. hopefully better than Lindelof. I have zero expectation from the lad as he is untried. Fred could help of course but then we have one of the best defensive records in the league. personally I thought we need more creativity and ideas in the final 3rd than more steel.
Ironically both Fred and Dalot could add that

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
So both of our new signings have some sort of injury problems? Wonderful.

Thankfully they don't appear to be too serious in nature.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Fred is very good at dribbling and passing through the lines though? Also Pogba will spend more time supporting the forwards rather than the defenders.

I do not believe we need more ideas in the final 3rd because that is not the team that is trying to be built. We are not trying to dominate possession like City or Arsenal. I believe we need to be more efficient when counter attacking.

The 'ideal' was the first 10 games of the 17/18 season. Where we would work hard for the 1st goal, then counter attack from a deep defence to score late goals. We stopped playing that way once Pogba got injured and then struggled to recapture form.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
*PFA awards 18/19*

"..and the PFA young player of the year award goes to Diogo Dalot. *man comes on whispers in announcers ear*

"Wait! because some genius on Redcafe stated Diogo can't be properly assessed for 4 years we have no choice but to award the second place player instead, congratulations Loris Karius."

*P.s I know Karius is 24.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but if you truly believe that a teenager can be our best full back or even a first team regular, you probably haven't watched us play for the last few years. Add to this that Jose always prefers experience over youth, I honestly don't understand how anybody who knows anything about football can see Dalot being a first team regular.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
The 'ideal' was the first 10 games of the 17/18 season. Where we would work hard for the 1st goal, then counter attack from a deep defence to score late goals. We stopped playing that way once Pogba got injured and then struggled to recapture form.
Correct. And during that period, we were keeping up with MCFC, going toe-to-toe with them in points and goals scored.

Frank Grimes

I have no idea what you are talking about, but if you truly believe that a teenager can be our best full back or even a first team regular, you probably haven't watched us play for the last few years. Add to this that Jose always prefers experience over youth, I honestly don't understand how anybody who knows anything about football can see Dalot being a first team regular.
I'm counting down the days until 2022.:lol:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Correct. And during that period, we were keeping up with MCFC, going toe-to-toe with them in points and goals scored.
It was also our lack of ruthlessness on the counter attack that killed our title chances later in the season. That period in Christmas where we lost to Bristol and then drew 3 games in a row due to lack of efficiency when given space. Win those 3 games and we would have been on City's tails with 4-5 points difference. But we drew them and the title was over.

The losses to poor opposition were all games where we were outplayed. Teams didn't park the bus against us, they attacked us and we offered no threat to them. We just rolled over.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nothing in football is for certain. Nor are your opinions.

haram

Does it not depend on how good he is? Lets face it, most of us have never actually seen him play.

red4ever 79

Does it not depend on how good he is? Lets face it, most of us have never actually seen him play.
No it doesnt depend on that at all sadly with Jose. I agree with the person you replied to. There is no question in my mind Valencia will be first choice RB next season and barring injury will feature in most games

RedDevil@84

SAF once said: If we are getting a young guy from another country, from another footballing culture, we should consider 1st year as a write off. 2nd year there should be some improvement, but again it would not lead to full adaptability, it will be at least the 3rd season before we can make a reasonable decision.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
SAF once said: If we are getting a young guy from another country, from another footballing culture, we should consider 1st year as a write off. 2nd year there should be some improvement, but again it would not lead to full adaptability, it will be at least the 3rd season before we can make a reasonable decision.
He's going to be called "fecking shit" and "a waste of money" on here after a miserable mid-December performance isn't he?

Stacks

Fred is very good at dribbling and passing through the lines though? Also Pogba will spend more time supporting the forwards rather than the defenders.

I do not believe we need more ideas in the final 3rd because that is not the team that is trying to be built. We are not trying to dominate possession like City or Arsenal. I believe we need to be more efficient when counter attacking.

Anderson was supposed to be good at this too. Its all well and good in the Ukraine but the lines are a bit blurred in the EPL. Fair enough about the possession bit but personally I hoped for a Carrick or Fabgregas style guy to relieve POgba of too much responsibilty.

haram

We need to build our play better and improve our transitions so our players further up are better placed to create.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I agree with everything you/SAF said.
Though I think he'll need a 4th year, which will take him to age 23 (still very young, in footballing terms - Shaw is 22 and had a full season of first team football when he was younger than Dalot).

He is 19, with virtually no first team experience.
Why are people expecting him to start games, when Jose has a history of not starting teenagers? What am I missing?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
So I imagine Dalot has a big bank of assists and crosses at "youth team level" and Fred has lot of assists to his name?
One of the most creative players I have seen, Iniesta doesn't rack up many assists.

Fred has shown time and time again his ability to pick a pass and also transition the play from defence to attack. Also having Fred in the midfield can free Pogba to focus on creating.

I haven't seen much of Dalot but he is supposed to be good going forward from fullback on both flanks and a good crosser with both feet.

So they both could add to that.

Then again Sanchez could have added to that when we signed him in Jan, but we all saw what happened there.

Stacks

All sorts of mental gymnastics being performed to find a way to criticise Jose for this signing, or at least to attempt to downplay it.
Mental gymastics? Untried youngster signs for title contenders Man Utd to compete with 34 year old former winger. Doesn't take too much thought. its pretty logical. We all hope he is a hit but realistically he'll be in for a shock. remember everyone got excited with Bellerin and the likes of Gibbs. Many of these young FBs amount to nothing. They start of really "energetic" and rely on pace then get found out. I was again, hoping for an experience reliable set of FB's and Tony V frustrates the hell out of me.

Stacks

One of the most creative players I have seen, Iniesta doesn't rack up many assists.

Fred has shown time and time again his ability to pick a pass and also transition the play from defence to attack. Also having Fred in the midfield can free Pogba to focus on creating.

I haven't seen much of Dalot but he is supposed to be good going forward from fullback on both flanks and a good crosser with both feet.

So they both could add to that.

Then again Sanchez could have added to that when we signed him in Jan, but we all saw what happened there.
Is Fred's vision and passing accuracy on par with Iniesta's? he looks pretty scruffy to me. I would love it if that was the case though. I am just suspicious that he is the pass master required. When Carrick played 2 seasons ago, despite being aged, he offered the sort of control, tempo and movement of phases we needed. problem was it could not last due to his age.