Diogo Dalot (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think Dalot is an excellent option for when (if?) we turn into a genuinely 'good' team again. AWB and Shaw obviously have locks on the full back positions when fit, but against weaker sides I do think Dalot is a better attacking option. He's been pretty badly disrupted by injuries, and the fact he's a kid and has kid decision making, but technically I've been pretty impressed by him. He has a good touch, he's big and strong and has a lovely cross.

Given how many great teams have at least 4 full back options and given he's so young (especially in terms of professional matches) I really think getting rid of him is unnecessary.

Nick7

I don’t care about what he’s done since he left us. He came as an academy player, so this ‘he was here for 4 years’ is misleading. I said at the time that I didn’t want him to go, I’m far from a ‘rose tinted’ poster.
He was 20 when he joined and 24 when he left after playing a grand total of 11 games. He wasn't an academy player. He was a cheap punt.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He's just at the wrong club tbh. I can see him do well at a bigger/better club who are more ball dominant. The profile of managers we hire and our fanbase in general shit it whenever they see a full-back leave his half.
I agree. I wished we'd move in that direction but Ole seems comfortable with mid table clubs coming here and knocking the ball around as long as we have space to counter attack. So perhaps, we aren't the club to develop him.

Nick7

I think Dalot is an excellent option for when (if?) we turn into a genuinely 'good' team again. AWB and Shaw obviously have locks on the full back positions when fit, but against weaker sides I do think Dalot is a better attacking option. He's been pretty badly disrupted by injuries, and the fact he's a kid and has kid decision making, but technically I've been pretty impressed by him. He has a good touch, he's big and strong and has a lovely cross.

Given how many great teams have at least 4 full back options and given he's so young (especially in terms of professional matches) I really think getting rid of him is unnecessary.
I genuinely must be going crazy. Dalot isn't a good crosser of the ball. He's good at going past full backs but his delivery is dire.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've not been hugely impressed by him but he's young enough to improve. I'd rather have him in the squad than see him go for buttons, but if he goes for that money, no problem.

SAFMUTD

Id sell him for as low as 20M to be honest. He was, and maybe still is, an exciting prospect but he's injury prone and he has improved very little, if anything, during his time here. Defensively he's poor and while he's good at attack he's not as good to compensate for his defensive weaknesses.

Also we have AWB who's only one year older and has nailed the starting spot, and as back up we have Williams and we also have Laird comming through who's very praised in the academy.

Im of the opinion that squad players should always be ones who are challenging to be starting at the team, and not purely squad players which main objective is purely have squad depth and under that opinion Dalot is totally expendable.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He was at the club for 4 years. He was definitely not brilliant offensively.

You're talking about a player that has been a professional footballer for 10 years and has less than 100 appearances in club football. I swear rose tinted glasses and nostalgia is a hilarious thing.
He was very good offensively in his appearances here.

Quite disengenous to claim he’s been a professional senior footballer since he was 16 don’t you think?

He has more than 100 club appearances. Really not that hard to look up stats mate. I swear making up stats is a hilarious thing.

Not to mention having injury problems and missing club games because he’s playing international football weren’t really relevant to his initial potential.

Castia

I'd like to see him stay. He can play both left and right back and will still get plenty of games, given his age he will only improve as well.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
For 35m, it will be tough to refuse it. He hasn't shown anything yet due to injuries but everyone who are knowledgeable about youth football, rate him quite highly. We can wait out one more year and see if Devine (at Lb so that Williams can cover on RB) and Laird can step up. There is still lot of question mark over Laird due to his injuries, so selling our second choice RB without replacement is not a good idea

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This guy looked like he’d have the makings of a good attacking fullback but his crossing got worse. Dunno if he’ll ever make it here with not playing enough to be honest. He could do with playing at one of these decent midtable clubs for a year (that isn’t us).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He was 20 when he joined and 24 when he left after playing a grand total of 11 games. He wasn't an academy player. He was a cheap punt.
He went straight into the academy. Signed under Moyes, injured for a bit, and only made his debut under LVG. He made his debut in March and played all XI games between then and the end of the season, so he was obviously impressing. Then José came and never gave him a game.

All your storytelling is irrelevant. The question is whether he played well when he played. Which he did.

€35m??? I'll drive him to Paris myself! After this lockdown
stick him in the back of a transit and you can adhere to social distancing.

I wouldn’t give much credibility to any transfer rumour at the moment. Clubs won’t be able to even think about transfers until there is a level of certainty over what’s happening with football.

I imagine we would be more than happy to sell him for this - but it’s just media BS to be honest.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
It's bizarre how crucial he was in that magical night in Paris.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
35m for a backup player with very very few games a season? Too good to be true.

stu_1992

Honestly with the amount of game timenhe gets, combined with his actual impact when he does play, I'd take that offer. Laird is young, but I find it hard to believe he couldn't at least match what impact Dalot has had. It isn't a high bar. If that were true, we could get a decent bit of funds for elsewhere in the team where it's more needed too.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
I’d like to see him stay too. He is decent going forward. Can play RB, LB fill in on the wings and is also pretty suited to a wingback position if we go 3-5-2. He also seems to be quite a popular figure in the dressing room.

I think he can improve too, I’d like to give him a couple more seasons.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I see a good talent in him, I wouldn’t want to see him leave even though we have AWB.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he's a terrible RB so I'm all for selling.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Laird is a quality player, no point having Dalot at the club if we see his future at RB as Laird will soon overtake him as 2nd choice. Good deal for both parties i'd say.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Think we will regret it and some people saying yes will bash the club for selling him. Very talentwd player on the ball. There aren't many RBs that talented. When he's able to complement that positionally, he'll be some player.
Why would we regret it when we have one of the best young right backs in Europe

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think we will regret it and some people saying yes will bash the club for selling him. Very talentwd player on the ball. There aren't many RBs that talented. When he's able to complement that positionally, he'll be some player.
Is he really, though? He can do a few step overs and isn’t particularly good at crossing. I’ve not seen any particular insightful passing from him either.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Laird, William's even Daniel James can do the job he can do - I just dont see why anyone would pay that much for him unless Herrera is doing us a favour.

tenpoless

He's the only fullback We have at the moment that can be considered an attacking fullback. No wonder why PSG are after him. Alves and Meunier are both attacking fullbacks and They fit a team that don't defend much like PSG. I would keep him personally. We shouldn't rely only on academy player's future, Laird has barely played, Williams is the new kid on the block. There's always a huge risk when a very young player is stepping into the team, You never know what's going to happen and We're already very thin squad wise.

We could end up paying more than 35m if Ethan Laird doesn't work out, to buy another decent RB (I hope not). I see Williams as a left back. Things would be different if We had an equivalent of Mason Greenwood at RB but We don't and all of our other fullbacks are defensive fullbacks. Having Dalot as an option could be crucial in matches where We need width and don't care about defending. Let's just put it this way, if Dalot didn't play against PSG, that miraculous night would have never happened. I'm not saying He's world class but His play style was the reason why We got the penalty. 35m seems like a lot for someone who has barely played this season but if We let him go and need a replacement in the future and God knows He will be British as well, that player will cost us 40m easily. If He's young? 50m.

Last edited:

-Supreme-

He's never looked comfortable defensively, and do not have the attacking ability to make up for his weaknesses

Although he is still young and will improve, but for the quoted fee at 35m euros we would be stupid not letting him go

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Varela looked like a better player than him.
I'll always say this to anyone who's willing to listen. Varela was underrated. If you looked up Rashford's first few goals for us, you'd see that Varela had a hand in a few of them. Guy could put in a good cross, and was generally lively in attack.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s been upgraded/replaced and has done very little for us to suggest he’ll displace AWB in the near future. Selling him while his value is still relatively high would make sense, albeit I’d prefer to see us him and give AWB some decent competition/backup.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'd let him go, I don't keep it a secret but I've nothing but praise for Laird, if we can keep him fit then there's no reason to keep Dalot around IMO. Dalot came in with a lot of promise and, young as he is, hasn't shown me much to suggest he'll have the quality here to succeed.

SAFMUTD

He's the only fullback We have at the moment that can be considered an attacking fullback. No wonder why PSG are after him. Alves and Meunier are both attacking fullbacks and They fit a team that don't defend much like PSG. I would keep him personally. We shouldn't rely only on academy player's future, Laird has barely played, Williams is the new kid on the block. There's always a huge risk when a very young player is stepping into the team, You never know what's going to happen and We're already very thin squad wise.

We could end up paying more than 35m if Ethan Laird doesn't work out, to buy another decent RB (I hope not). I see Williams as a left back. Things would be different if We had an equivalent of Mason Greenwood at RB but We don't and all of our other fullbacks are defensive fullbacks. Having Dalot as an option could be crucial in matches where We need width and don't care about defending. Let's just put it this way, if Dalot didn't play against PSG, that miraculous night would have never happened. I'm not saying He's world class but His play style was the reason why We got the penalty. 35m seems like a lot for someone who has barely played this season but if We let him go and need a replacement in the future and God knows He will be British as well, that player will cost us 40m easily. If He's young? 50m.
What are you talking about? Hardly any fullback is over 30M, if we are spending 40-50M it would be for someone of the quality of AWB who’s on a completely different level than Dalot.

$35M for Dalot is bullshit, I don’t think any club would pay that, I’d say 20-25 would be a fair offer.

tenpoless

What are you talking about? Hardly any fullback is over 30M, if we are spending 40-50M it would be for someone of the quality of AWB who’s on a completely different level than Dalot.

$35M for Dalot is bullshit, I don’t think any club would pay that, I’d say 20-25 would be a fair offer.
Be careful not to get carried away just because We got Dan James for Cheap and that is probably only because He's playing in a competition below the Premier League with no other big clubs wanting him.

Valencia was our Right Back for a almost a decade. If We have plenty of options to choose from now for RB, as backups and to provide some competition I'd say let us enjoy the moment rather than getting rid of a young talented player too quickly. If Dalot was as old as Young I'd even sell him for 3.5m.

Kostov

I’d keep him, we can’t go into the season with only AWB and unproven and injury prone Laird. When Laird proves himself than yeah why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.