Diogo Jota

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Said it at the time, and now it's looking even more crazy, that deal was strange as feck. Paltry sum given his ability and proven league quality, not even paid up front, and no competition for it.

What a deal.
He wasn't making the first team for Wolves. 35m was about par for him. And I suspect he won't look half as good outside of Liverpool's system

TheReligion

Abusive
Keitas a great player but his injury record is dreadful. Still, for every 1 dud they end up with they seem to get 5 class players. Unfortunately their recruitment is top notch but not only that so is their coaching team in making them go up another level.
Shall we forget that they signed the following then?

Grujic
Caulker
Klavan
Karius
Solanke
Keita
Shaquiri
Tsimikas
Minamino

They've signed some good players that have turned out well but also thrown alot of money at rubbish. Jota is 45m in total so not some kind of cut price snip. They even spent 35m on Oxlade-Chaimberlain although given him a pass due to his injuries.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
The guy was playing in the Pl for years and you'd think scouts from other clubs would have seen his potential.
We where actually heavily linked to him and apparantly had scout watching him several games. Probably not what we prefer to think, but maybe we was interested but he prefered Liverpool?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

Grujic
Caulker
Klavan
Karius
Solanke
Keita
Shaquiri
Tsimikas
Minamino

They've signed some good players that have turned out well but also thrown alot of money at rubbish. Jota is 45m in total so not some kind of cut price snip. They even spent 35m on Oxlade-Chaimberlain although given him a pass due to his injuries.
Grujic - £5.1m
Caulker - Loan
Klavan - £4.2m
Karius - £4m
Solanke - £6m
Keita - £52.5m
Shaquiri - £13.5m
Tsimikas - £11.7m
Minamino - £7.2m
Total - £104.2m

We have spent a lot of money on those players but Tsimikas and Shaqiri isn't money wasted IMO. Shaqiri has scored some crucial goals for us and for a relatively decent fee. Tsimikas has been brought in as a back up to one of the best left backs in the world so impossible to say he's been awful when he hasn't played much. When he has played, he's looked decent enough.
The major flop on there is Karius but for £4m and the reputation he had in Germany, it was a no brainer to sign him.

I feel for Keita who is a brilliant player but dogged by injury. The money we spent would probably have been a good investment if his body didn't keep breaking down, so that has be looked at as a poor signing at this point but if we can get him fit and crucially keep him fit, then he might start to justify that price tag.

Our recruitment has been top class and we've had far more hits than misses. We've paid big money when we've needed to but found some absolute bargains as well (see Andy Robertson £8m).
Impossible to get a 100% hit rate on transfers but we've done well for the most part.

Gonçalo Motta

With Jota, Felix, Bruno, Silva, and of course Ronaldo, it seems Portugal finally had a good attacking unit to challenge for trophies?

Ronaldo - GOAT, all time best goalscorer, already scored 31 goals this season, but he's 36 though
Bruno - one of the best and most impactful AM in the world
Felix - one of the most talented and exciting youngster in the world
Jota - reliable striker, in a good goalscoring form this season (8 goals in 13 PL games)
Silva - classy attacking midfielder, his form drops abit in recent years though
André Silva is on fire this season aswell. Second top scorer in Bundesliga ahead of Haaland.

Tbf I never rated him that highly but its still somewhat impressive.

TheReligion

Abusive
Grujic - £5.1m
Caulker - Loan
Klavan - £4.2m
Karius - £4m
Solanke - £6m
Keita - £52.5m
Shaquiri - £13.5m
Tsimikas - £11.7m
Minamino - £7.2m
Total - £104.2m

We have spent a lot of money on those players but Tsimikas and Shaqiri isn't money wasted IMO. Shaqiri has scored some crucial goals for us and for a relatively decent fee. Tsimikas has been brought in as a back up to one of the best left backs in the world so impossible to say he's been awful when he hasn't played much. When he has played, he's looked decent enough.
The major flop on there is Karius but for £4m and the reputation he had in Germany, it was a no brainer to sign him.

I feel for Keita who is a brilliant player but dogged by injury. The money we spent would probably have been a good investment if his body didn't keep breaking down, so that has be looked at as a poor signing at this point but if we can get him fit and crucially keep him fit, then he might start to justify that price tag.

Our recruitment has been top class and we've had far more hits than misses. We've paid big money when we've needed to but found some absolute bargains as well (see Andy Robertson £8m).
Impossible to get a 100% hit rate on transfers but we've done well for the most part.
So your point here is it's okay to buy lots of rubbish so long as you shop at Lidl?

Ultimately the talk was about recruitment and that highlights you get as much wrong as you do right.

Statue of Limitations

So your point here is it's okay to buy lots of rubbish so long as you shop at Lidl?

Ultimately the talk was about recruitment and that highlights you get as much wrong as you do right.
I would mostly agree with you.
Unfortunately we shop in Marks n Spencers for Lidl quality products a lot of the time.

On topic re Jota - he is looking like their best player and worth the money.

AgentSmith

Grujic
Caulker
Klavan
Karius
Solanke
Keita
Shaquiri
Tsimikas
Minamino

How was Solanke a bad signing?

They got him for £3 million and then sold him two years later for £19 million. It was daylight robbery.

Litch

Hindsight is an exact science and as fans we have the benefit of it. Not many on here were jumping up around Liverpool signing him....

bsCallout

I desperately wanted us to get Jota. Always thought he would be a top player and just what we needed. Gutted he's gone there.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hindsight is an exact science and as fans we have the benefit of it. Not many on here were jumping up around Liverpool signing him....
Everyone said it was a good signing for a good price but wasn't sure how he'd fit in as their main 3 is class, but was a good depth piece. Nobody called him shit or anything because he is clearly a very good player and it wasn't a surprise that he did well.

bsCallout

I'll call myself one of the few that did then. He had everything to be a top top player, people seem to forget his age too.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

No, what I'm saying is that all clubs make bad signings but for the most part, we've been excellent in the market since 2016.
We've made a lot of money on players that were not worth half of what clubs paid us; Jordan Ibe and Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth for a combined £34m.
Liverpool are never going to get credit on here of all places but to deny how good we have largely been in the transfer market since Klopp arrived is just deluded.
We have made some astute signings cheaply (Robertson), some great big money transfers (Alisson and VVD) and a lot of great signings in between (Salah, Mane, Jota). Every club is going to have transfers in all 3 brackets go wrong but compared to the amount that have worked out, it's not a lot

TheReligion

Abusive
No, what I'm saying is that all clubs make bad signings but for the most part, we've been excellent in the market since 2016.
We've made a lot of money on players that were not worth half of what clubs paid us; Jordan Ibe and Dominic Solanke to Bournemouth for a combined £34m.
Liverpool are never going to get credit on here of all places but to deny how good we have largely been in the transfer market since Klopp arrived is just deluded.
It's equally deluded to make out you have the midas touch in the transfer market when much of what you've done has been lifted by Klopp himself and his ability to get more from certain players.

You've had a mix of decent signings and crap ones.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
It's equally deluded to make out you have the midas touch in the transfer market when much of what you've done has been lifted by Klopp himself and his ability to get more from certain players.

You've had a mix of decent signings and crap ones.
Never said we had a midas touch but we do get more right than wrong, and surely the job of a manager is to get the most from his signings?

macheda14

Good. I've proven that you don't.
'We're very good in the transfer market'
'You don't have the Midas touch, stop pretending you do'
'I never said we did'
'Good, because I've proven that you don't.'

Is objectively just a weird exchange where you come across a bit odd.

TheReligion

Abusive
'We're very good in the transfer market'
'You don't have the Midas touch, stop pretending you do'
'I never said we did'
'Good, because I've proven that you don't.'

Is objectively just a weird exchange where you come across a bit odd.
Thank you.

Although the quoted stuff makes no sense when there's no context or you even mention who said what.

Edit, you also got the quotes wrong so they aren't even quotes.

Last edited:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Grujic
Caulker
Klavan
Karius
Solanke
Keita
Shaquiri
Tsimikas
Minamino

I’d throw Thiago into that list currently but most of those were low cost signings. Klopp’s spending on more expensive signings has been mostly spot on.

Keita and Chamberlain are in the same category. Injury prone with occasional glimpses of what we signed them for. I think Chamberlain has been slightly better.

Van Dijk, Alisson, Jota, Fabinho, Wijnaldum, Mane and Salah are all pricier signings who’ve been outstanding.

The Oracle

Think this thread should be renamed, 'The curious case of Diogo Jota'

7 career appearances v Manchester United

Never been on the losing side

4 goals scored (bold)

Premier League:
22/09/2018: Man Utd 1-1 Wolves
02/04/2019: Wolves 2-1 Man Utd
19/08/2019: Wolves 1-1 Man Utd
01/02/2020: Man Utd 0-0 Wolves
13/05/2021: Man Utd 2-4 Liverpool
24/10/2021: Man Utd 0-5 Liverpool

FA Cup:
16/03/2019: Wolves 2-1 Man Utd

There are also 4 x matches he has been out injured against us.

On those occasions we won 2, and drew 2

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
What a coup by Liverpool and a bargain by today's prices. 30 million, still only 25.

Had a decent season last year despite being injured for a large chunk, 9 league goals in 19 apps. This season he's already scored 10 goals, well on his way to score 20 and the form he's in you wouldn't put it past him!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What a coup by Liverpool and a bargain by today's prices. 30 million, still only 25.

Had a decent season last year despite being injured for a large chunk, 9 league goals in 19 apps. This season he's already scored 10 goals, well on his way to score 20 and the form he's in you wouldn't put it past him!
This is where Liverpool have been better than us over the last few years unfortunately.

We used to snatch these type of deals up under Fergie, now we seem to be concentrating on bigger deals abroad.

The likes of Mane, Jota, Robertson, Van Dijk Fergie would have tried to sign 100%

marfans

Supports
Chelsea FC
This is where Liverpool have been better than us over the last few years unfortunately.

We used to snatch these type of deals up under Fergie, now we seem to be concentrating on bigger deals abroad.

The likes of Mane, Jota, Robertson, Van Dijk Fergie would have tried to sign 100%
Jota cost £41m not £30m. Good player though

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jota cost £41m not £30m. Good player though
Still a bargain for the performance levels. We've spent a lot more on players not half as good.

The main point was we seem to ignore players from 'lower teams' for some reason.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I don't know why I'm not that wowed by him.

Feels like a player that would look good under Klopp but maybe a bit off after him.

Whilst I'm also not sure - the Jota inbetween Mane and Salah feels less Champions League like Mane, Salah and the false 9 inbetween in Firmino.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's been really good and Firmino is surely behind him now.

Still can't figure out what his ceiling is or what he's really about as a player but not sure I need to while he plays like this. Second topscorer in the league, only behind Salah, and scored some big goals in there.

Thiagoal

I don't know why I'm not that wowed by him.

Feels like a player that would look good under Klopp but maybe a bit off after him.

Whilst I'm also not sure - the Jota inbetween Mane and Salah feels less Champions League like Mane, Salah and the false 9 inbetween in Firmino.
I agree! When I watch Liverpool play he very rarely wows or excites and if he were playing for a lesser team I doubt he’d look that good. He does have good movement though and can definitely finish off chances clinically enough!