Diogo Jota

VivaRonaldo85

World class manager gets instant improvement out of less fashionable player who fits perfectly into his system. That’s what the best managers do. They’ve found another one lads

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
An arse? You burst back in that thread to quote me after Adama managed to finally string in some good performances — 3 years after my original post! Amount to nothing was an obvious overstatement by my original quote, but what I did mean was that he wouldn’t be hitting the highest levels of football — basically what Jota is doing right now. A Spanish cap (at the age of 24) is an achievement, I suppose. It is a bit of a weak Spanish generation, mind.

Anyway, this is Jota’s thread — I only mentioned Adama because unlike Jota, I still don’t believe he has, or will have, what the top sides need in a player. It’s nothing personal against you, fella.

Jota appears to have that killer instinct, annoyingly. He’s on 10 goals in all competitions for club and country this season.
Yeah that was admittedly pretty fecking sad, but I hold myself to a low standard. Let’s check back in 2 years when hopefully Adama lifts the World Cup and I can get all the validation I need

Yeah fair enough, Jota has looked very good. And he does look more of a traditional top club player in that he has the versatility and technique to play in multiple positions. Think it helps with the club having a very defined way of playing, you can tell the players know exactly what they should be doing in certain situations and it looks like Jota has come in and hit t Jen ground running. Different players but reminiscent of how Mane joined as a talented but streaky player and evened out his game.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Constantly finding undervalued assets and then massively increasing their value once they join. Annoying as feck, but their recruitment system is right on the money in recent years.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
But Wolves fans said he wasn't good enough for them anymore, he was inconsistent etc etc etc?
Nuno isn't Klopp. Or Klopp isn't Nuno. Or maybe Wolves fans only took attention to the number of goals scored by Jimenez or the pace of Adama. I doubt under a Mourinho/Solskjaer/Lamapard he would reach this numbers. But anyway he always had a period of the season at Wolves when he looked ready to reach another level to suddenly drop down for a few months. Who knows... But he has one good thing, he didn't started his carrer at a big club in Portugal, playing for the best Academies, a bit like Fernandes, main difference is that Fernandes went to Italy very soon while Jota was scoring goals for a small club.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Constantly finding undervalued assets and then massively increasing their value once they join. Annoying as feck, but their recruitment system is right on the money in recent years.
I was surprised by the general "meh" response when they signed Jota. I always worried about him when we faced Wolves and thought 40m was cheap. That he's scoring goals for them is absolutely no surprise. Just surprised Wolves cashed in and no one else fought for him.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
They keep signing bargains ffs
I don't think it's that. They identify players that they see potential in and help them improve I'm assuming. I think Jota was never going to be £60m. I doubt most thought Jota would be doing this well.

Sigma501

Supports
Football
Jota is evidence of the positive coaching mentality which Klopp brings to Liverpool. Guardiola bus the very best players he can find and with the exception of Sterling and Foden doesn't improve players.

Klopp takes players with potential, integrates then into a proven system and makes them look like world beaters.

Ole has the coaching mentality and needs to just settle on a system which suits the players he has at his disposal.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He looks like a revelation so far.

Hoof the ball

Recruiting the right player is a much simpler process for the scouting team when the team has a very definable footballing approach and identity. You look for the right attributes to fit the strict criteria.

We, on the other hand, have a much more undefined identity and therefore it's just difficult for the scouting team to know exactly what's expected of them.

monosierra

Recruiting the right player is a much simpler process for the scouting team when the team has a very definable footballing approach and identity. You look for the right attributes to fit the strict criteria.

We, on the other hand, have a much more undefined identity and therefore it's just difficult for the scouting team to know exactly what's expected of them.
Yeah, we mostly go by the amorphous "United Way", which is more a result of playing a certain way than a means of organizing a team. It is difficult to craft a footballing identity and have the players execute on the pitch. Klopp has done this in two different leagues now - the only question is how to time squad renewal to get the most out of his system.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
World class manager gets instant improvement out of less fashionable player who fits perfectly into his system. That’s what the best managers do. They’ve found another one lads
He purchased a starter for Portugal to add to his depth. Jota was excellent at Wolves and Liverpool's system suits his attributes.

passing-wind

Jota is evidence of the positive coaching mentality which Klopp brings to Liverpool. Guardiola bus the very best players he can find and with the exception of Sterling and Foden doesn't improve players.

Klopp takes players with potential, integrates then into a proven system and makes them look like world beaters.

Ole has the coaching mentality and needs to just settle on a system which suits the players he has at his disposal.
Ole is not a good coach the fact he can't find a system after 2 seasons in charge massively highlights this. Klopp very closely resembles SAF in inspiring the players to play beyond their capabilities. Easily the best manager in world football.

archiebald

His end product was a bit suspect at Wolves but seems to have sorted it out pretty quickly since joining Pool. Shades of what Pep did for Sterling?

reelworld

this basically.
Having a clear footballing approach and identity also enable them to switch quickly to their second target when the first isn't available. They wanted Sarr first, but found him too expensive.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I love seeing some of these comments. Amazing how some people will always say someone "isn't United quality" if they don't already play for a big team. It's like "United quality" means we have to pay 60m+ for him instead of $30m

Okey

Excellent post. Just look at Klopp's career - so many players took the next step to great or world class under him. Even those that were already good became great. Can't think of a single one of his Dortmund bunch that had much of a reputation before him. Amazing coach, sad as it is for a United fan to admit, seeing where he's working his magic now.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He needs to start on Sunday. Firmino's been rubbish for a while now too.

Pagh Wraith

You can trust Liverpool to make good signings. Their data and recruitement is second to none. They are the Brentford of the Premier League and it is no surprise they have been so successful.

bsCallout

It was clear as day to some of us what a good player he is and how easily he'd have fit in either our system or Liverpools.

I wanted him last summer. Funnily enough my Liverpool mate didnt and text me last night accepting I was right about Jota.

I cant believe how many people think this is down to Klopp.

Jota just needed to be in an attacking team or a team that creates chances and presses from the front.

He was always class.

Pav1878

Another Mane. Good at previous club but making the step up at Liverpool.

Down to coaching I'm afraid.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
When you look at our front line yesterday, none of them were actually top of klopp's shortlist. If he had gotten his first choices at the time, it would have been

Brandt-Werner-Gotze

Think we did alright though.

Josh 76

When you look at our front line yesterday, none of them were actually top of klopp's shortlist. If he had gotten his first choices at the time, it would have been

Brandt-Werner-Gotze

Klopp was saying only last week that he never knew that Jota was that good.

Klopp does get the credit, and deservedly so, but the recruitment team are doing one hell of a job.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Brandt-Werner-Gotze

:lol:

That's amazing. Shows how one should understand there's more to it than just a one-man team (same with players, really).

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Brandt-Werner-Gotze

Crazy how things work out like that. It definitely happens a lot, but for some reason I’m struggling to think of any of ours in the recent past.

Mufc7777

I have to say jealous more of the Jota signing then the Thiago signing, he is a gem, Klopp just gets it when comes to a good buy, very much Ferguson esque, buy top talent from other English clubs that will hit the ground running, Dwight yorke, van persie, rooney. I would of been happy going for Jimenez from Wolves, don't understand why no one has made a bid for him yet as he is one of the best strikers in league behind maybe Kane for a number 9.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

That's amazing. Shows how one should understand there's more to it than just a one-man team (same with players, really).
Klopp was persuaded by the scouts to move for Salah ahead of Brandt as they were very passionate about him.

Klopp went cold on Götze when it became apparent he was holding out for cl participation and generally have off an air of entitlement than coming with a point to prove (and simultaneously, it probably would have been difficult to complete it with Götze's own reservations even if we weren't fuzzed about them).

Werner fell through because our owners refused to spend anything at that point and Chelsea were happy to give him an exciting offer without waiting around.

It's a bit of everything and a good portion of luck. But I reckon we make most of our luck by having the right targets in the pool to choose from in the first place and the right setup to make the most of them when they come in.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I was surprised by the general "meh" response when they signed Jota. I always worried about him when we faced Wolves and thought 40m was cheap. That he's scoring goals for them is absolutely no surprise. Just surprised Wolves cashed in and no one else fought for him.
My thoughts as well. Jota was used to the league, is young, full Portuguese International, versed in a system that required high pressing & work rate from its forwards, he looked technically good & a good finisher. He was prime for a step up. I'm just surprised Wolves let him go so easily & reasonably, given how ambitious they claim to be, & how well off they seem.

I was putting him in the same ball park as the likes of Maddison, Grealish, Zaha in terms of value, very good attacking players but players you would find hard to prise out of their clubs.

When I see Jota & Ziyech going for the price of a Pepe roughly, it hurts a little inside.