g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Dirty, negative football

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm just hoping his players he brings in during the summer fit his plan much more than our current lot do.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I fail to see why there's a semblance of positivity about what Jose's done this season. This team is Pogba and Ibra away from not being able to create a chance a game. Now that Ibra is the fallen Mufasa we're seeing a team that is making heavy work of mediocre sides. That display is one of the worst of the past 3 years. Lord knows where we're going to be picking up another Ibra.
Well I think there is at least a semblance of positivity -- for the most part we're extremely hard to beat. The problem is of course how frequently it dovetails with our negative approach, and we still seem to fold like a deck of cards under any sort of pressure. I definitely agree; we're far too reliant on individual ability. I've never bought into this idea of us playing good football and I struggle to see us creating any coherent form of an offense.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Wanna bet?
No, actually

I'm sure a couple will

Don't get me wrong I desperately want us to win it. But looking at our europa campaign this season. It has been a slog of shitty games, shitty football and fortunate results and draws.

We have barely made it, even in the group we stumbled through. And tonight really summed it all up

saivet

It was shit football but people are really underestimating the strength of these teams. They're not pub teams ffs. Rostov beat Bayern in the CL and Vigo have beaten Barcelona and knocked Madrid out in a cup competition, they're no mugs.

Today was the first time this season I didn't agree with the negativity, in the past games I understood given the fixtures/injuries etc. but today we just didn't look as hungry as they did. First half we were good, second half we completely buckled under their pressure.

That being said, we're through to the final and that's the most important thing.
As someone said, we did this against Boro (though we played well against Boro for a chunk of the game) and you can't tell me Boro are a good team.

Theonas

Scout
A club that is so focused on creating a brand and maintaining a global appeal, has again gone with a manager who makes it a chore to watch United. He started off saying the right things, that he had to be attacking at United and that gave me hope. But he's become the so negative, with many talented players in the team, I really worry about my interest in watching his team going forward.

Over the course of the season we've invited pressure, sat back against lesser opponents, and it's quite obvious it isn't actually a good tactic. The chances we've given up doing so, the points dropped, suggest that. When he's been brave, at home against Boro when we ended up with two in defence even at 1-1, he was rewarded with a winner. He was positive and it worked, but worryingly he didn't learn from it.

Every big game has been set up to counter the other team, not imposing a particular style of play, the subs have been negative and he reached a new level of negativity by going with 6 at the back at Boro. After the fixtures have piled up he's been as negative as he's ever been, defeatist in interviews, talking about how the team is too tired cannot compete like this. And of course that mentality will feed through to the players.

He's become more and more negative over the course of the season, and the negativity has got to me. I've seen every game this season, but I wasn't bothered missing the Arsenal match, I went to a third division Icelandic game in stead. Tonight, I can't even be happy about reaching a European final. It's supposed to be fun watching football, it hasn't been a lot of that in 2017 with Jose.
Your point about the brand is exactly the problem with him. It has been frustrating to argue that the opposition to his style is not purely about aesthetics or entertainment value as many make it sound it's just about style preference. It is indeed as you point out essential for a club that wants to have the brand and prestige we claim to have to not play a certain way. Just like business, to football clubs of a certain status, the image and perception is just as important as the numbers (trophies in that case).

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
We did this stupidity against Boro and Valdes bailed us out and today it was Guidetti. Sooner rather than later, we're going to pay for it. Unnecessary cowardice and inviting pressure.
We've drawn 10 league games at home this season. We've paid for this cowardice plenty already to the point that it's amazing we still persist with it.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
It was shit football but people are really underestimating the strength of these teams. They're not pub teams ffs. Rostov beat Bayern in the CL and Vigo have beaten Barcelona and knocked Madrid out in a cup competition, they're no mugs.

Today was the first time this season I didn't agree with the negativity, in the past games I understood given the fixtures/injuries etc. but today we just didn't look as hungry as they did. First half we were good, second half we completely buckled under their pressure.

That being said, we're through to the final and that's the most important thing.
They're awful and these are easily amongst the worst Europa League semi finalists in recent years. A side like United should be brushing them aside.

wr8_utd

:'(
You really can't get an easier path to a final than Rostov, Anderlecht and Celta and we've absolutely struggled/defended our way through it. We're lucky there aren't too many quality sides this season.

engulfing

The tactics worked. Its hard enough scoring a goal against a low block much less the 2 that celta needed. We lacked abit of height in defense with blind and should have dealt with the crosses better and mourinho should have sent rooney in earlier to help darmian who was being overrun on the left but low blocks work.

This is why mourinho is so successful and we are so hard to beat. It is really hard to score when there are 8 or more players in the box from both teams. I would estimate the average time required to score a goal vs an average low block (united currently) at 60 minutes or more. Against a high quality low block which we arnt probably 90 minutes or more. Thus with 45 mins remaining and celta needing 2 goals, the odds of success are excellent. It wasnt easy to watch and we will get better at it but its how the game is played now.

DatGuyRich

I really don't know how Jose can just let our opponents have so much pressure on us. It must come down to trusting the players, next season there needs to be a massive improvement.

Jose is known for negative football but it works. I'm fine with parking the bus in away games as his record normally is second to none. Home games is where we need to fix up and go back to dominating teams, I'm sure we will do just that next season

RooneyLegend

It's horrible to look at - but tonight I don't care. But he plays a dangerous game. Either he wins the final against Ajax and will be considered a genious, or he loses and will be branded a failure. And rightly so - on both accounts!
Why should he be considered a genius for beating Ajax in the EL final?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We've drawn 10 league games at home this season. We've paid for this cowardice plenty already to the point that it's amazing we still persist with it.
:houllier:

Those draws have more to do with our inability to finish chances than us sitting deep and conceding a late goal, even the Arsenal game where we conceded last minute we wasted lot of chances.

This cowardice has been a problem in big away games and cup ties, not the PL games.

MooseTheMooche

You serious?
"What was negative about tonight? <opposition's name here> are a good footballing side. This is becoming the new zombie thread."

I see this stuff on the caf almost everytime we draw against minnows, "Hey! But Swansea is a good side, they won against liverpool at anfield!". It is really irritating. The fact is, we are incredibly shit, no matter the opposition. Ajax had a real hard time against fecking Legia Warsaw, and some people will still use this argument that they are a incredibly underappreciated side. I can guarantee that Ajax will look in the final like Barcelona in their prime.

Zoo

They're awful and these are easily amongst the worst Europa League semi finalists in recent years. A side like United should be brushing them aside.
Like Rio just said we never give ourselves a chance to breathe during games, Lingard and Mkhitaryan aren't productive enough and Rashford is still a rookie. We need more quality. As a result opponents grow in belief and with it being a semi-final and them playing the game of their lives the pressure grows too much.

Zoo

"What was negative about tonight? <opposition's name here> are a good footballing side. This is becoming the new zombie thread."

I see this stuff on the caf almost everytime we draw against minnows, "Hey! But Swansea is a good side, they won against liverpool at anfield!". It is really irritating. The fact is, we are incredibly shit, no matter the opposition. Ajax had a real hard time against fecking Legia Warsaw, but i guarantee that they will look in the final like Barcelona in their prime.
You can't guarantee it though.

dbryan

Don't see what the problem is. Yeah we were pretty poor. But we have played how many games. We looked dead on our feet and to be fair, I cannot remember them creating that much against us. Miki and Rashford had good chances to make it 2-0. We also should have put the tie to bed in the first leg (story of the season)

Personally I would rest a lot of the players for the last three games in the league, but rotate a bit to keep some match fitness for the final.

Basically I think the amount of games we have played has been our undoing. However we are in the final have a hell of a chance to win it. Let Jose get his players in the summer and look forward to next season.

Lets enjoy tonight...I am off to have a beer. Peace and love guys.

Come on United.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Seriously, am I the only one who genuinely doesn't give a feck, because we went through?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Football purists are not gonna like that performance; especially in the last 20 minutes where we were camped in our own box :lol:

wolvored

Next season will be the defining one. He will bring in at least 4 players imo, and maybe half a dozen. Then it will be his team. If by this time next year we're still as bad as this with boring negative poor football, lying outside the top 4 then he will be gone. Saying that I think next year we will be playing better exciting football. I think he thought Miki and Pogba would of scored a few and made loads of assists for Ibra and we would of been breezing through most matches. He wont make the same mistake again. If he does he deserves to be gone.

Djemba-Djemba

That was terrible.

We got through of course and that is the main thing but fecking hell we were bad.

It was like all 2nd half we were just waiting for them to score. Has to be more positive next season, it's going to really hurt us if he's this negative.

cheeky_backheel

You still had Pogba, Mhkitaryan, Rashford, etc out there. And were at home.
and Darmian, Fellaini, Blind, Lingard?

Its a 2 leg tie in which celta can throw caution to the wind while we could not afford to concede cos of the pressure it would bring. It was more important not to concede than to score.

The only way we could have relieved the pressure was to score 2+ goals and even without the injuries, how many times have we done that at home?

cyberman

We managed that very well imo. Our keeper had very little to do.
It's the composure on the break that let us down, who plays expansive football in that position? Prime Barca?

Jev

The tactics worked.
No. It did not. Don't kid yourself. We have better players than Vigo in every single position on the pitch. Do you really not believe that we could have beaten them by playing our own game?

Instead we were inches away from being eliminated by a vastly inferior side. To say the tactics worked because we lucked out is, frankly, bollocks.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The one thing that really bugs me about Mourinho is that he closes up shop too soon for my taste. We often invite pressure on us by becoming very defensive once we're a goal up.

Other than that, the quality of football is surely better than anything we've seen in the past few years.

Eddy_JukeZ

Seriously, am I the only one who genuinely doesn't give a feck, because we went through?
There's a few who don't mind. Which is fine.

Some of us wouldn't mind this against Barcelona or Real Madrid. The fact we were so defensive against Celta Vigo is just an eyeopener and it almost cost us.

Son Of Sam

We did this stupidity against Boro and Valdes bailed us out and today it was Guidetti. Sooner rather than later, we're going to pay for it. Unnecessary cowardice and inviting pressure.
Jose doesn't trust majority of the players in the squad. In the games he's allowed them to go gung-ho, we created 30 chances and scored 1 goal.

In most of those games, the opposition gets one chance and they equalise - at the end of the day, we get a draw instead of a comfortable win.

Let's face it. Our players don't know where the goal is. They are happy to just shoot on target and hope for the best even when the time to place the ball inti the net is available.

I cannot blame the gaffer for his approach tonight. We had chances to score, we made nothing out of those chances. The final would be a different approach - there's no away goal rule.

Let's take this victory and hope we beat Ajax.