Dirty, negative football

Home&Away

Don't forget.... Philosophy :lol:
Sorry mate what you laughing at? The philosophy isn't nothing confusing- it's all about teaching a team to retain possesion so they form their own style eventually since the ball is at their feet.

Jose has the ability to do whatever he likes with it because whether you believe it or not - this team has 100% proof of retaining up to 65% possesion a game; yet we see no indication of any use of it. the further the season we have gone; the less possesion we have held and the worse the performances have gone.

What is funny?

JoaquinJoaquin

Maybe Jose has just lost it? I'd be lying if I said I haven't had my concerns watching us the last few weeks. It's like he hasn't learned to adapt from a few years ago. Add to the fact his strange selection policy (picking the likes of Lingard, Fellaini and Darmian etc far more than he should of) and excuses over the last few weeks he certainly hasn't done himself no favours. I was over the moon when we got him in but I think he has been a disappointment and surely we all agree on that point.

I will give him benefit of the doubt this season but we simply cannot be like this next season or he will be a gonner in 12 months IMO.

Skills

Snitch
I think what a lot of people find hard to read or listen to, is the idea that we will definitely see an improvement next season with added additions.

I can't be the only person who thinks it's perfectly possible that Griezmann etc will arrive and we'll still be playing this shit.
More than likely. The answer will again be, LETS SIGN MORE PLAYERS.

liamp

I think what a lot of people find hard to read or listen to, is the idea that we will definitely see an improvement next season with added additions.

I can't be the only person who thinks it's perfectly possible that Griezmann etc will arrive and we'll still be playing this shit.
Of course not. If we should've learned anything after spending more than a quarter of a billion pounds over the last couple of summers, it should be that plugging expensive players into the squad doesn't necessarily correlate to better play.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hard to defend this kind of football. I try to remain positive and content that things will get better next season, but its hard work to try and justify the need to play this kind of football. The faster the likes of Rooney, Jones,Smalling etc fecks off, great.But if Mourinho even after getting his desired targets makes us play this tumescent, unattractive shite way of football more and more fans will turn against him.
Yeah, usually when Clubs have nothing to play they play fearless football but we are still scared of playing which is a big surprise.

Obviously Jose is to blame for this, hopefully we win the game that really matters.

Roger777

Sorry mate what you laughing at? The philosophy isn't nothing confusing- it's all about teaching a team to retain possesion so they form their own style eventually since the ball is at their feet.

Jose has the ability to do whatever he likes with it because whether you believe it or not - this team has 100% proof of retaining up to 65% possesion a game; yet we see no indication of any use of it. the further the season we have gone; the less possesion we have held and the worse the performances have gone.

What is funny?
Feckin lighten up lad. It was a joke.

Kag

You're not the only person. Spot on.

AXVnee7

No, of course it's perfectly possible and you're absolutely right to have such a concern. Signing attackers won't suddenly turn us into a goal scoring machine.

I think the main pattern is that currently we are shouldering too much responsibility on goals from players that haven't delivered - Martial, Rashford (majority of the season) and Lingard. Then we have Mata, Mkhi and Pogba who've all contributed to the goals, but should looking to do better. Over-reliance on Zlatan is detrimental in the long term, and we need to spread our sources of goals, to compensate for when a player has a bad patch. That's where we hope the likes of Griezmann, and maybe another attacker like Silva could help us out.

In terms of style, that's something that only develops when you give your players time to gel together and develop an understanding. Something we haven't been able to do this season for various reasons. Hopefully we improve in both aspects next season. To be fair, we have created a lot this season but our finishing has let us down.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I've never felt like not watching United, but the end of this season has been embarrassing to see us half on the beach already. Mourinho is somehow conspiring to put himself under more pressure than Guardiola going into next season. Even LVG at least had us fighting on multiple fronts at the end of last season and did not just concede a bunch of games away. I've been massively supportive of Mourinho until recently, as the improvement in performance was obvious, even if the results didn't come. The last few weeks have been appalling though.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
This season we were nice to watch for the 1st half, and especially the little spell with the Carrick-Herrera-Pogba midfield 3. The rest of the games the nice-ness came from individual work from Pogba or Ibra.
2nd half has been a complete shitshow in terms of quality of football.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
More than likely. The answer will again be, LETS SIGN MORE PLAYERS.
Yeah, we need better players, like Trippier, Davies, Wanyama and Son. If we could just find the cash to buy ten or twenty players at that levels, we will be entertaining and challenging at the highest level.

AN17

Rooney, Smalling and Jones "fecking off" don't solve anything.

They have next to no bearing on our wider, general inability to play attacking football. And simply buying Antoine Griezmann isn't going to solve anything either. New players, same shit.
I know it doesn't. I have already resigned myself to see us play mostly solid and unspectacular defensive football while Jose is here. Maybe the odd game once in 15 that's pleasing on the eye.

Our inability to create a meaninful chance or a counter is due to the quality of players. We don't have a midfield with the skillset to sit on the backfoot most of the time and then switch on and instigate a quick counter or attack.
Our forwards are even worse like Rooney who can't even control the ball or make a simple pass, let alone finish.
At least with better quality players (Griezmann or anyone else for that matter) will if not improve our performances, atleast ensure we don't get humiliated by the likes of Celta and Swansea to an extent we can't get out of our own half.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I know it doesn't. I have already resigned myself to see us play mostly solid and unspectacular defensive football while Jose is here. Maybe the odd game once in 15 that's pleasing on the eye.

Our inability to create a meaninful chance or a counter is due to the quality of players. We don't have a midfield with the skillset to sit on the backfoot most of the time and then switch on and instigate a quick counter or attack.
Our forwards are even worse like Rooney who can't even control the ball or make a simple pass, let alone finish.
At least with better quality players (Griezmann or anyone else for that matter) will if not improve our performances, atleast ensure we don't get humiliated by the likes of Celta and Swansea to an extent we can't get out of our own half.
So we need someone with the quality of Griezzmann for us to not get outplayed by the likes of Celta and Swansea.

liamp

Yeah, we need better players, like Trippier, Davies, Wanyama and Son. If we could just find the cash to buy ten or twenty players at that levels, we will be entertaining and challenging at the highest level.
:lol:

I think this is exactly the mentality that @Skills is arguing against

Kag

That Celta performance had nothing to do with the quality of players and everything to do with the tactics of the manager.

We've got more than enough to be creating chances and scoring lots of goals. It stuns me that people can argue otherwise when comfortably worse squads demonstrate on a weekly basis that they can attack, create chances, score goals and play with positivity.

Pogba, Herrera, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial, Rashford, Ibrahimovic. We've had this lot playing more or less every week since the new year and we've been utter toss. You're telling me they're not good enough? Righto.

Skills

Snitch
So we need someone with the quality of Griezzmann for us to not get outplayed by the likes of Celta and Swansea.
There's no way we're getting Greizmann if there is another top club involved and willing to pay the same wages. The club is a dead-end at the moment for any attacking player, your reputation and career will only have a negative trajectory for an attacker joining us. We won't play the type football to get the most out of them, and then they'll be blamed and destroyed for being overpriced/overrated.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You are comparing fixtures of comparative difficulty, right? I mean it wouldn't be like you to be deliberately misleading, would it?

Oh good. Rooney just scored. Did that make you sad?
I fecking love Wayne Rooney.

Edit: those games included Sunderland, Swansea and Boro for us. (Two at home)

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
There's no way we're getting Greizmann if there is another top club involved and willing to pay the same wages. The club is a dead-end at the moment for any attacking player, your reputation and career will only have a negative trajectory for an attacker joining us. We won't play the type football to get the most out of them, and then they'll be blamed and destroyed for being overpriced/overrated.
If Griezmann is willing to leave Atletico we would be the most likely option. Pogba last summer showed we can blow every one out of the water when it comes down to it. But, like with Pogba it would not fix everything.

AN17

That Celta performance had nothing to do with the quality of players and everything to do with the tactics of the manager.

We've got more than enough to be creating chances and scoring lots of goals. It stuns me that people can argue otherwise when comfortably worse squads demonstrate on a weekly basis that they can attack, create chances, score goals and play with positivity.

Pogba, Herrera, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial, Rashford, Ibrahimovic. We've had this lot playing more or less every week since the new year and we've been utter toss. You're telling me they're not good enough? Righto.
This season has been a shitfest for a lot of reasons. I am not saying we should blame everything on one factor alone, in this instance, quality. But it is one of those factors and it has a lot to do with some of our performances imo.

I don't feel any need to be defensive of Jose, and at many points during the season, I have felt like most of his critics do. His approach, tactics and substitutions have cost us and left me shaking my head time and time again.

It's a difficult moment for me like most United fans when you know what you are going to get served even before the game, but still do turn up to watch because it's wha you do as a fan.

The best I can hope for is getting rid of the last remenants of this dark age for the club, bring better players and blindly hope the manager can get it right in terms of results, silverware and performances.

The alternative is to admit the decision to appoint Mourinho was a wrong one, turn against him, and wait for that uncertain and worrisome future to unfold when it does.

GrandJury

Do you really believe this drivel? Do you really believe that dyed in the wool United fans, who have followed the club through thick and thin, are really just 'lapping up' what Mourinho tells us? Just because 'it's Jose'?

Or could you do us the service of considering that a) we might have seen enough green shoots in our play this season to warrant giving him more than one fecking season to continue the job that he has started, and b) that we might also be taking into account his unparralleled track record of success everwhere he has ever managed?

It's one thing to hold your own views (however blinkered) but stop trying to intimate that anyone that is remotely supportive of Mourinho is only doing it because they are blinded by their love for him. Can you understand that most of us only care about the club? Some of you seem to hate Mourinho more than you love the club - someone even stated a few posts above that even our victories are 'bittersweet' with him in charge....I mean, what??!!

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about @Theonas.
Thank you. 10/10 post. Well done.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm convinced there's an overlap between people mocking the idea the squad is badly in need of a bit more quality and people who repeatedly bang on about how Rooney and Carrick - two of the most important players in seasons when we last won league titles - are finished. I happen to think they're finished too and replacing them with players who are even close to as good as they were at their peak will improve us massively as an attacking force.

el3mel

Don't understand why people are taking this game that seriously as if it's a deciding match. Jose decided his gamble and let's see what he'll do with it. This game and Arsenal's was to evaluate the second string, which is very poor. Taking them anymore seriously is over-reaction.

Jose decided his path to CL so let's see what he'll do.

LoveFootball

Well sorry but that's a biased opinion for me. If we're doing the same in any game then we should take the praise as them, not contributing our good performance in any game to the opposite being poor or opponent deciding to set back, then we should say exactly the same on them in any game they do it.

My opinion might be biased but the reality shows us City and Liverpool played good football than us and most of the time they completely dominated their opponents! Ask any neutral and he'll tell you that City and Liverpool have been better than us!

Also Klopp has set back this season against City when he won 1-0 , and set back against us after taking the lead by that penalty but these are forgotten. I also see the concept of us setting back in every top game is very exaggerated by us. We only set back in top 6 games against Liverpool, City and Arsenal away, the last game is not even relevant because we gave up on the league before it. Against Arsenal at home, Liverpool at home, Chelsea at home, Spurs at home we played very good and balanced matches and went toe on toe with them. Even in that 4-0 loss to Chelsea we had more possession and shots than them despite the dreadful defeat. People are exaggerating this point because of the recent games only.

I have no problem for a team going defensive sometimes to protect a result against a big opponent; my concern comes when a team start doing it so often to the point of making it their identity! It may be good for a small club like West Bromwich or Leicester but it's not for big clubs like Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern and it's not supposed to be good for Manchester United because we're a great club with the history of playing good attacking football but Mourinho has convinced some fans that it's good for us too! No it'd never be good for us, not now and never in the future and I really hope he gets the boot if we continue to play this next season.

They controlled the ball, but were nothing a threat except in these Blind's and Darmian's brainfarts. Second half is when I blamed Jose for his tactics as he took more cautious approach without a reason, but overall on regarding both ties, we won away from our field and deserved to pass. If Celta wanted to pass us they should have get a better result on their field first.

Yes you are right here! We go through because we won over 2 legs, then we deserved it but we were not marginally better! We shouldn't be struggling to play football against some average team, and most importantly we shouldn't be justifying every dross Mourinho serves us just for the sake of backing the manager!

No one's saying Jose's tactics second half was good, it was terrible and I criticized him for it but it has nothing related to us deserving to pass them.

We deserved to pass because we won over 2 legs but that doesn't excuse the coward tactic deployed by our manager!

It's not wrong for them to go on the counter. It just proved we responded well and forced Pep to take an approach he never does. Jose's tactics at the start of the game wasn't good because he based his calculations on Fellaini being good enough to stop City's midfield based on his previous performances, also we were let down by terrible performance from Mikhi and Lingard. Jose didn't start the game well, but he read it pretty well and responded to Pep's formation by introducing Herrera, which Pep responded by introducing another CM and changing his style of play. Great tactical game coming back and forth between both managers on touchline. Should have been a draw since we wasted easy chances and shots, too.

Think we won't reach a point of agreement on this game then let's move on.

I'd take this, but as you said it was a good tactical game and Pep won the battle.

And creating less chances is terrible in LVG's system. Also having no quality players is his fault. He got a whole summer to choose his players and bring them. He assessed the squad and decided to throw Hernandez and RVP away to give Mr.Rooney the number 9 starting spot. He decided to buy Depay, a player whom he knows from Netherlands national team. He decided to sell and loan most of the squad without replacing them, then his excuse for this was to give youth a chance ! just to delude us from his terrible mistakes in the market. He chose to go with this squad then he deserved everything. Not an excuse to him for me.

Like it's not an excuse for Mourinho to complain about the scheduler this year because he's the one who decided to go in a season with Ibra (34), Rooney (32) and Rashford (18) as striker force; he decided to throw BastIan out of the team and keep mediocre player like Fellaini, then sold 3 players during the January window! He is the one who decided to put faith into wrong and average players like Fellaini and Lingard, but marginalised talented one like Martial and Mkitharyan! We are were we are because of Jose Mourinho, and blaming the players will not change this fact.

I actually didn't see anything about our player's mentality this season, except that jose is trying to solve the mess that was created in players' minds from last failure season by the only way possible: to be strict on them. These players don't need a kind-hearted manager who pets on their shoulder after each terrible lose. They used to this it's unreal. They need to take some slaps to remember which team they're playing for. The players who respond to him will remain and those who are unwilling to change themselves will be chopped in summer. We needed such a direction for years to our bunch of losers.

I am not of this! If Jose tactic is creating unnecessary problems by trying to solve some issues then his management has to be questioned! If the result of his tough is to nullify our talented players while giving more confidence to average ones then he can pack his bags a go back at his previous clubs who wouldn't welcome him anyway! Martial didn't need tough love to score 17 goals at aget 19 during his 1st season in a superior and tough league; Mkitharyan didn't need that kind of treatments to be the best player in the Bundesliga; Shaw and Rashford were flying under LVG without that kind of management.
The problem under LVG was not the mentality and attitude of players, but it was the fact that he got his transfer policy completely wrong and ended with many average players!

Regarding manager's excuses I don't know what irritates us from this. Saying this doesn't mean he's not working on the team behind scenes. Do you think if the manager said in the press that he holds all responsibility for the shocking form will make the world great and change our results ? It won't affect it by a bit. He can say this and never do anything.

Why not shut is mouth then? His interventions in the media are becoming tiresome and laughable. From openly attacking his own players to making excuses and complain about the scheduler is something I expected from Moyes.

Klopp has come with more ridiculous excuses this season, blaming the wind and the grass for his results. Managers must have something to say in the press. It has nothing to do with their work on the team.

Klopp has came with more ridiculous excuses and people on here rightly mock home for it! Even Pep got the same treatment when he was complaining too much too.

Highlighting LVG failures doesn't excuse and justify Mourinho season! The fact is we are still poor under a manager who was supposed to instantly improve us, but it seems that we are worse then what we were under a manager who was supposed to gradually build another great team.

Nero

A few 'Attack Attack Attack' chants from the away fans today.

el3mel

My opinion might be biased but the reality shows us City and Liverpool played good football than us and most of the time they completely dominated their opponents! Ask any neutral and he'll tell you that City and Liverpool have been better than us!
They scored more goals when they got their chances, which I'll give them that. If we took our chances in the first half of the season we could have been up with them. Anyway that wasn't my point, my point is we deserved credit when we dominate another team, not saying we dominated because the opponent was terrible only. We should be praised when we deserve it as much as we should be hammered when we deserve it.

I have no problem for a team going defensive sometimes to protect a result against a big opponent; my concern comes when a team start doing it so often to the point of making it their identity! It may be good for a small club like West Bromwich or Leicester but it's not for big clubs like Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern and it's not supposed to be good for Manchester United because we're a great club with the history of playing good attacking football but Mourinho has convinced some fans that it's good for us too! No it'd never be good for us, not now and never in the future and I really hope he gets the boot if we continue to play this next season.
It's not our identity at all. Jose talked a lot at the first half of the season about the club should be playing attacking football and that's what the fans wanted. We were doing it till the EFL cup final but after this the performance dropped heavily and he decided to take his own way in dealing with the results, which I don't agree with but it doesn't mean he doesn't know the club's identity or how the fans want us to play as he spoke about this multiple times already and tried to provide that but missing chances let us. It's at a certain point he seemed to lose any trust in his attacking players and decided to finish the season with his methods to see the season out.

I don't agree with his approach of matches recently but I'm sure he knows which style of football we want to deliver and will strengthen our attack in summer to deliver it hopefully.

Yes you are right here! We go through because we won over 2 legs, then we deserved it but we were not marginally better! We shouldn't be struggling to play football against some average team, and most importantly we shouldn't be justifying every dross Mourinho serves us just for the sake of backing the manager!
How can we deserve passing them if we're not better than them overall regarding the 2 legs together ?

And I agree the 2nd leg shouldn't have gone such a way. I said I criticized his tactics this day but manager getting it wrong in games always happens I think. When he gets games wrong I criticize him.

Like it's not an excuse for Mourinho to complain about the scheduler this year because he's the one who decided to go in a season with Ibra (34), Rooney (32) and Rashford (18) as striker force; he decided to throw BastIan out of the team and keep mediocre player like Fellaini, then sold 3 players during the January window! He is the one who decided to put faith into wrong and average players like Fellaini and Lingard, but marginalised talented one like Martial and Mkitharyan! We are were we are because of Jose Mourinho, and blaming the players will not change this fact.
Even SAF criticized the fixtures schedule before. Here's him before RM game :

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/21391842

"It is ridiculous to think we are playing on Sunday and Real Madrid have an extra day's rest," added Ferguson, 71.

"It is not fair. France play on Friday nights. Why? Possibly we (England) get more money out of television I don't know.

"Other countries make sacrifices for their top teams in Europe. What can you do? Not turn up? I would like to do that by the way."

"It is pointless complaining about these things all the time," said Ferguson.

"How many times have I complained about it? You've heard my complaints. Do they listen?"
He even made it clear he complained about it a lot before in this quote. That's really normal.

Also strange you're criticizing him having Rooney and Zlatan due to their age and then wanted him to keep Bastian ?

And all 3 players sold were there last season and did nothing. Just to remind you even the one who bought Depay and Schneiderlin - LVG - didn't trust them to be a starter even though he has a depleting squad.

I am not of this! If Jose tactic is creating unnecessary problems by trying to solve some issues then his management has to be questioned! If the result of his tough is to nullify our talented players while giving more confidence to average ones then he can pack his bags a go back at his previous clubs who wouldn't welcome him anyway! Martial didn't need tough love to score 17 goals at aget 19 during his 1st season in a superior and tough league; Mkitharyan didn't need that kind of treatments to be the best player in the Bundesliga; Shaw and Rashford were flying under LVG without that kind of management.
The problem under LVG was not the mentality and attitude of players, but it was the fact that he got his transfer policy completely wrong and ended with many average players!
Yes his tactics must be criticized when they're wrong ( I said this up top in this post ) but that has nothing to do with the player's mentality that I was talking about. The players winning mentality has been dropping game after game since SAF retired till they become content of losing games and fighting for 4th place. Players don't understand anymore which club they're playing with, so petting on their shoulder only won't change anything. They needed a manager who reminds them that they need to give 100% on the pitch if they wanted to stay in the club otherwise they're out. Even SAF himself got problems with Nani before due to his inconsistency form and we had many hard workers who are pretty average, though as Welbeck in his last years at the club. This is Manchester United and if you want to play here you must be up to it and have a mentality to be a winner, otherwise your talent will mean nothing and you'll do nothing significant in your career. Jose's trying to make this clear to players and see who'll respond to them. I won't remind you how many great players SAF sold when he thought it's better for the team overall in the long run.

Martial's point is irrelevant to this imo. His main problem is that he was the star of LVG team, LVG built the team completely on him and every play must pass through him first. Under Jose the situation is different. He's no more the one and only engine of the team, he's rather a part of the team's system with certain roles and instructions, while other players as Zlatan and Pogba took the show from him. He was struggling to adapt to this fact most of the season. I believe he can become good next season with a proper pre-season under Jose's system. He has been good today.

And if you don't know Mikhi has been terrible in his first years with BVB and struggled even under Klopp himself. His only good season was last season. He has been known to be a slow adaptor to the teams system. Also when did Shaw fly under LVG ? his first season was terrible and full of injures and fitness issues and he got that long-term injury in the second season.

The mentality wasn't only because of LVG, it was the deterioration the club was moving through since Moyes took charge. LVG made it worse with his absence of passion or enthusiasm too.

Agree on his transfer policy thing.

Why not shut is mouth then? His interventions in the media are becoming tiresome and laughable. From openly attacking his own players to making excuses and complain about the scheduler is something I expected from Moyes.
Because he has to talk to the media ? Also if the players aren't upset of his criticism and all of them are taking it in positive manner it seems so why are we so upset about it ? All player he criticized has returned and played normally after. We - fans - seem to be the only ones who got annoyed by his comments on the players !

Klopp has came with more ridiculous excuses and people on here rightly mock home for it! Even Pep got the same treatment when he was complaining too much too.
Mocking them wasn't my point. My point is any manager will come with excuses for terrible results and failure. That's a routine. Don't pay much into it.

Highlighting LVG failures doesn't excuse and justify Mourinho season! The fact is we are still poor under a manager who was supposed to instantly improve us, but it seems that we are worse then what we were under a manager who was supposed to gradually build another great team.
How said it justifies Jose's form with us ? I was just answering on your points on LVG at the end of your post.

Jose will be given another season and will be asked for higher improvements and expectations no doubt, but whether he comes good or bad for us ( good hopefully ) , it won't change that LVG was terrible with us and under him we were going nowhere.

Blind

I'm sure the point has been made already but if Jose has decided these games are pointless in advance then why set the team up in damage control mode. If we lose against Southampton or Palace no one will care and it only benefits the team to get Mata and Martial back into form.