g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Dirty, negative football

Yagami

Good post resistant
This has been so bad I've decided to do something actually fun. If the game mattered I'd persevere the terrible football, but it doesn't.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
Why are you being so obtuse? Who has said this?
Players will know that it means nothing to the manager, the fans and probably most of them. They'll also not want to get injured.

If we open up, and get absolutely battered which is highly probably with this team out, surely you'd expect that affect confidence more than losing this on a whimper by a goal or two?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If we open up, and get absolutely battered which is highly probably with this team out, surely you'd expect that affect confidence more than losing this on a whimper by a goal or two?
If you seriously think that's what would occur then we should end the discussion here, really.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
No, I didn't realise that - thanks for the clarification. Let's just carry on playing with 4 CBs and an additional one in midfield and hope they don't twat us any more than what they are doing so.
:lol:

Seriously though, we're so far off the pace today that it's embarrassing to watch.

"Lads, it's United" will probably be uttered by Poch in the dressing room at the break, because he's clearly not happy that they're just one up.

Starkie_1

Affluent and Likeminded
If you seriously think that's what would occur then we should end the discussion here, really.
You think if we opened up against this Spurs team, at The Lane with that defence and midfield we'd come off better than we are now? Genuine question. Not being obtuse or argumentative , genuinely interested in how you come to that opinion

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It's pretty much the same as the Arsenal game -- with absolutely nothing to play for, why not just go for it? The [extremely hollow] defence raised in that game was that we'd get destroyed even more so than what happened in the game... Does anyone think actually going toe-to-toe with them would result in a worse performance than what we're seeing so far?
I think we could end up getting smashed if we went for it with this team. Jones and Smalling are struggling to defend when we are playing compact...

cyberman

This mismatched team isnt good enough, its not down to tactics.
Who actually cares? United are one of those on the beach side. Nothing more

Ludens the Red

This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't sum up most of our league performances since beating Leicester 3-0.
From that game onwards we've been absolute trash in the league in terms of performances bar maybe 3 games.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You think if we opened up against this Spurs team, at The Lane with that defence and midfield we'd come off better than we are now? Genuine question. Not being obtuse or argumentative , genuinely interested in how you come to that opinion
The simple fact of watching football? Football isn't like a computer game, you know. By pushing onto a team, they lose their ability to carve you open because they become pinned back themselves. Namely, the fullbacks would be affected the most, and they're quite possibly the key component for Spurs - by allowing their fullbacks such space out wide by barely attacking, Eriksen is able to roam around freely. Look right now, they've hit a bit of a lull in the past 5 minutes or so. Attacking them in such a quiet spell could quite easily change the climate of the game.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Is that four seasons straight with the end of the season being a complete write-off? You genuinely feel for the traveling fans, who've spent good money to support the team. Heck, even those poor souls paying for a pay TV subscription to watch us are being ripped off at the moment :wenger:

You'd think playing for a starting spot in the Europa final would be a motivation, but it seems not.

binary bot
We look like we've solely been coached on how to prevent Spurs scoring with zero thought for how to get a goal ourselves.

AndyMUFC

Sick of this garbage in the second half of the season. I mean, don't get me wrong, this second string isn't good enough anyway but what happened to trying to play football the right way?

Last edited:

paulscholes18

It's embarrassing, could understand if I was watching stoke, West Brom ect, but we are Man Utd. Attack Attack Attack

Hojoon

I don't think we've been defensive this match compared to other big games, just outplayed. We've got a bunch of players who have no rhythm playing together.

Skills

Snitch
This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't sum up most of our league performances since beating Leicester 3-0.
From that game onwards we've been absolute trash in the league in terms of performances bar maybe 3 games.
Didn't you get the memo? We've been playing great football :wenger:

Kag

The quality of our football at present (and I'm referring to the last two months or so in particular) is as bad as anything we've seen since Ferguson left the club.

Van Gaal and Moyes would be slaughtered for these kind of performances.

mu4c_20le

Really have no idea what the tactics are. The chelsea game feels like it was in a different season.

Skills

Snitch
The quality of our football at present (and I'm referring to the last two months or so in particular) is as bad as anything we've seen since Ferguson left the club.

This is genuinely worse than Van Gaal could come up with.

el3mel

Last season every DDG save was brilliant, and his costly mistakes were hardly mentioned. This season his brilliant saves are hardly mentioned. He did have a few spectacular ones last season, but this shows that people were out for LvG's head and are desperate to go easy on Mourinho. The Chelsea away game had some nice attacking football in a difficult time. The team had some mental issues, but there was quite a bit of fight in it and they did bounce back from a disappointment quite often.
David's saves has not been as many as last 2 seasons when you can make a video of more than 15 minutes of him saving us. This season I don't think any video of his saves will exceed 5 minutes. I don't know from when did you bring this point.

There were all these stories about the players hating it that Van Gaal explaining them their errors in front of the other players. My first response would be 'what a bunch of unprofessional pussies', but somehow this was proof what an evil man Van Gaal was.
Don't know but it do proves they are bunch of losers. LVG not taking an action against them is something to blame him for, too. He let them escape with their mentality for the whole season, while Jose is hammering the players to improve their mentality or leave.

Yes, but the difference between the top 4 and the rest differs per season anyway. It's just not very telling. I was disappointed in LvG's achievements too, I just think it's nonsense to lower the standards dramatically and find any kind of excuse for a manager who isn't building something but was supposed to buy himself into an instant title challenge with top 4 taken for granted.
The difference in points tell everything imo. Also this has nothing of finding excuses for Jose. Even if Jose fails it won't make LVG a success. I hope this is clear.

Kag

This is genuinely worse than Van Gaal could come up with.
I agree. We're probably creating less chances with a more negative approach to the game.

Van Gaal was regularly beating these sides.

But we created lots of chances against Burnley back in October, so we can still repeat we create lots ad nauseum.

Footyislife

We've regressed to levels Moyes even couldn't achieve. Not knowing how to play is still better than a lack of ambition to win; that is just sad. Have some respect for the club you play for and don't hide behind excuses when you can't beat the most average of teams.

Why start the likes of Lingard and Rooney? Sad that our club pays 400k a week for those two to make our team mediocre. Start some youth players. We literally have nothing to lose anymore in the PL, yet we play scared.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
I thought we were decent in that 1st half against Tottenham...apparently im the only one :lol:

Spurs came out stronger than us so they were the better team in the first 20 mins, but we were creating some good chances, Martial had a few opportunities to test the keeper but fluffed his lines and Bailly had the best chance of the game and bottled it by passing instead of shooting.

dichinero

One day, we will play good enjoyable football. One day. This is not that day, maybe not next season but one day.

AN17

Hard to defend this kind of football. I try to remain positive and content that things will get better next season, but its hard work to try and justify the need to play this kind of football. The faster the likes of Rooney, Jones,Smalling etc fecks off, great.But if Mourinho even after getting his desired targets makes us play this tumescent, unattractive shite way of football more and more fans will turn against him.

Yagami

Good post resistant
only sing when we are winning fan are you?
I've never turned a game off before and we've played some of the worst football I've seen in recent years from any team. It's not that. It's the fact that José's shown he's not bothered about this game with the tactics on show and, having had a bad week or two, I'm not in the mood to watch us run around like headless chickens failing to string a few passes together. At the end of the day if José isn't treating this match of any importance it's meaningless to me.

I'm going to do something productive instead.

Kag

Hard to defend this kind of football. I try to remain positive and content that things will get better next season, but its hard work to try and justify the need to play this kind of football. The faster the likes of Rooney, Jones,Smalling etc fecks off, great.But if Mourinho even after getting his desired targets makes us play this tumescent, unattractive shite way of football more and more fans will turn against him.
Rooney, Smalling and Jones "fecking off" don't solve anything.

They have next to no bearing on our wider, general inability to play attacking football. And simply buying Antoine Griezmann isn't going to solve anything either. New players, same shit.

Ludens the Red

Yep. I'd stress it is only since February but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Minimalist

I think what a lot of people find hard to read or listen to, is the idea that we will definitely see an improvement next season with added additions.

I can't be the only person who thinks it's perfectly possible that Griezmann etc will arrive and we'll still be playing this shit.

Flytan

If he doesn't improve next season attacking wise I'll start to lose faith. I still think our players are trash but if he doesn't find replacements or improve this I'll begin to think it's at least got something to do with the tactics. Zlatan and Rashford are the only two players we have offensively that I'm excited to see on the team sheet each time. One is injured and the other is in need of a rest

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think what a lot of people find hard to read or listen to, is the idea that we will definitely see an improvement next season with added additions.

I can't be the only person who thinks it's perfectly possible that Griezmann etc will arrive and we'll still be playing this shit.
And we will here nonsense about how Griezmann was a "luxury player" at Atletico and Mourinho still needs better players.