Do we want to lose to City?

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Wow, a bit mad how many would rather lose this game.

You can still make top 4 after this weeks results with Chelsea drawing tonight to add to Arsenal's loss. So why be defeatist. It's just so strange to me. All because you hate Liverpool. Some of you seem to hate them more than you love your own club.

And the irony of it is, you only have to look at Liverpool to see the direction you may go in if you fail to get top 4. It likely won't get any easier to achieve it next season.
1) We can still make top 4 if we lose to City, thanks to our rivals for top 4 all dropping points like Kobe at the MSG.

2) We hate to give them a huge helping hand to win the league title more then we would like our club to win one match which doesn’t even guarantee anything for us.

3) We’re going in Liverpool’s direction by failing to win the league over and over again since SAF left, not by failing to achieve top 4, top 4 isn’t a trophy.

Maybe you celebrate CL qualification over at Borussia because the league pretty much belongs to Bayern but at United we only celebrate trophies, not coming close or other consolation prizes.

Spielmacher

Why no poll?
Would be really interesting to see how people feel now that top 4 might be on again.

The One and Only

F**k Liverpool. Our season is over. The team is crap and the club is a laughing stick. The only thing left to do is to play the kids and lose to City. That's the least we can do

Red1968

This is only the 5th time in the past 27 years that Liverpool have been close to winning the title. To me they have been until recently, a non entity. The past decade City has been a much greater rival and by far the most obnoxious. I cannot stand Pep, I hate that diving cheat Sterling. I want to beat City to deny them the title. As sacrilegious as this might sound in here I hope Liverpool wins the title.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I said to someone at work last week that I have started to realise how much I hate City, even more than Liverpool. I hate everything about their shitty fecking enterprise. I hate them being front, an attempt to legitimise their dictatorship, how their entire existence is a hedge against a revolution. I hate how they have invested significantly into swooing the media, so nobody every really bothers to ask just what the human cost of City’s success is. I hate how they got their stadium in a dodgy deal with a City supporting Chief Executive, the details of which have never been published and MCC have rebuffed numerous FOI requests and media enquiries for them. I hate their groundshare with a bloody Asda and how I often get sent for meetings on their campus. I hate how they went on an all out charm offensive and looked to recruit the kids of all the ex-United players to have the press write glowing articles about their academy, whilst questioning ours, and look how little they have had to show for it. I hate their desperation to be seen as the good guys in English football with their saccharine social media and cynical investment in the women’s game. I hate their lack of shame for constantly advertising tickets for their matches online, on the radio and on billboards throughout Manchester. I cannot stand them.

Liverpool are going to win the title at some point. It is almost inevitable. If it is going to happen, at least let it be at the expense of City and send Pep off into a nevous breakdown with only a cup or two to show for their Quadruple.

Betson

Never want Utd to lose , especially to City. But if they do it is probably the least disappointed I will ever be after a Utd defeat to City because I just cannot express how much I do not want to see Liverpool win the title.

A draw would break my heart , no good to us and still hands Liverpool the title.

Last edited:

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
I’ll openly be supporting City.

Liverpool winning the league is an unbearable thought. They’ll only be one behind are record of 20 and next season could be in line to get back on their perch. If you offered me a 5-0 hammering with City having 80% possession and doing ole’s for the whole of the second half, I’d gladly accept it. Anything to stop Liverpool getting the title.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

Liverpool winning the league is an unbearable thought. They’ll only be one behind are record of 20 and next season could be in line to get back on their perch. If you offered me a 5-0 hammering with City having 80% possession and doing ole’s for the whole of the second half, I’d gladly accept it. Anything to stop Liverpool getting the title.
Okay, now this is too far. If I even slightly wanted City to win, which I haven’t decided on yet, I’d want it to be in the least embarrassing and most constructive way for us possible. Ideally we play brilliant, win or lose, to show we can do it. This message absolutely boggles my mind.

Reddy Rederson

I tell ya, the pubs are gonna be a weird place on wed. Liverpool fans cheering on "the rags", united fans cheering on "shitty", and city fans pissed off that they cant get their usual quiet pint during a game :lol:.

Eric7C

I tell ya, the pubs are gonna be a weird place on wed. Liverpool fans cheering on "the rags", united fans cheering on "shitty", and city fans pissed off that they cant get their usual quiet pint during a game :lol:.
:lol: It's the weirdest triangle story in football.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
The way we've been playing lately I couldn't care much for top 4 as there are much more important things our club needs to address. But even then, I could never let my dislike for a rival make me want Manchester United to lose a football match - that too against Pep and Abu Dabhi City.

But to each their own I guess.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeah, feck top 4. SAF knocked them off the perch and let them stay where they are.

Wouldn't blame anyone on Wednesday if we lose. All of them get a 7/10 from me.
100% this. If these bunch of mercenaries put in more effort than that winnable Everton game, I'd be pissed.

Eric7C

After much thought, I have made a decision regarding this. I want United to win all remaining games to give us a chance of finishing top 4. It's crucial for the immediate health of the club.

Liverpool, as much as it hurts to say this, are very good. If not this season, they are likely to win the title at some point in the next 3 years if they keep their best players, which I think they will. Plus if they become champions, it will be added incentive for Ole to knock them off their feckin perch. Also is there a small chance their fans will become a little more reasonable once they actually have a premier league title (oh who am I kidding - of course not)?:)

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd say there's a pretty high chance you're gonna be pissed on Wednesday then.
Maybe it's all part of Ole's plan. Playing shite with main players against Everton, then he has excuse to use a bunch of academies on Wednesday. Hah!!

Samba

After much thought, I have made a decision regarding this. I want United to win all remaining games to give us a chance of finishing top 4. It's crucial for the immediate health of the club.

Liverpool, as much as it hurts to say this, are very good. If not this season, they are likely to win the title at some point in the next 3 years if they keep their best players, which I think they will. Plus if they become champions, it will be added incentive for Ole to knock them off their feckin perch. Also is there a small chance their fans will become a little more reasonable once they actually have a premier league title (oh who am I kidding - of course not)?:)
Incentive for Öle to knock them off their perch is irrelevant if he doesn't have the ability to do it.

thejtrain

You have to lose. It’s for the bigger picture.

And stop tainting ‘Merseyside’. I’ve no problem with red or blue Manchester fans.

The red sh*te are our common enemy; their fans are the worst in the world.

Take a defeat, let City win the league. Otherwise you won’t hear nothing from dirty sh*te supporters for years
Absolutely, the next few months will be unbearable, and I am not even from the UK!

I do want to see a reaction from our players after the Everton loss, but we can perform well without winning. Go City!

Sterling Archer

This is only the 5th time in the past 27 years that Liverpool have been close to winning the title. To me they have been until recently, a non entity. The past decade City has been a much greater rival and by far the most obnoxious. I cannot stand Pep, I hate that diving cheat Sterling. I want to beat City to deny them the title. As sacrilegious as this might sound in here I hope Liverpool wins the title.
Actually think it's a reasonable attitude. And honest! The worst fans I deal with these days are City fans that have jumped into the sport more recently. Especially after that game against QPR... I'm in my early thirties and the poignancy of the rivalry with Liverpool has in many ways grown stale with how uncompetitive they've been in the league like you've noted. If anything, reaching that title count at some point was a goal almost independent of the holder.

And for added perspective, many of the Liverpool fans I have known even in my younger days - between Australia and US - have been decent folk with whom I bonded over the fact that we were the few that actually watched football. Biggest banter from those days for me was Arsenal. And again that rivalry has dullled in the interim years due to competitiveness.

The honest truth is, as a United fan that's my age group and outside the northeast of England, hating Liverpool with the mindlessness I'm seeing here is an inherited passion. And for me, maybe it dimmed with the untimely death of my uncle who got me into United and shared the same hatred. I feel what I feel now based on my own experiences as a United fan: City and Chelsea are plastic, abrasive and undeserving. We lose to them a lot and I can't stand it. I would go so far as to admit I have sympathies for Liverpool winning the league without simply buying their title.

Maybe that is sacrilege or heresy. But at least it's honest. A lot of what I'm seeing here is just a mob. Feck that.

Needham

Actually think it's a reasonable attitude. And honest! The worst fans I deal with these days are City fans that have jumped into the sport more recently. Especially after that game against QPR... I'm in my early thirties and the poignancy of the rivalry with Liverpool has in many ways grown stale with how uncompetitive they've been in the league like you've noted. If anything, reaching that title count at some point was a goal almost independent of the holder.

And for added perspective, many of the Liverpool fans I have known even in my younger days - between Australia and US - have been decent folk with whom I bonded over the fact that we were the few that actually watched football. Biggest banter from those days for me was Arsenal. And again that rivalry has dullled in the interim years due to competitiveness.

The honest truth is, as a United fan that's my age group and outside the northeast of England, hating Liverpool with the mindlessness I'm seeing here is an inherited passion. And for me, maybe it dimmed with the untimely death of my uncle who got me into United and shared the same hatred. I feel what I feel now based on my own experiences as a United fan: City and Chelsea are plastic, abrasive and undeserving. We lose to them a lot and I can't stand it. I would go so far as to admit I have sympathies for Liverpool winning the league without simply buying their title.

Maybe that is sacrilege or heresy. But at least it's honest. A lot of what I'm seeing here is just a mob. Feck that.
Your uncle was a wise man and I'm disgusted to see you disavow the wisdom he spent a lifetime accruing to place in your hands. Meanwhile the "decent folk" Liverpool fans you come across in your new world territories would -if they hailed from Liverpool- carve into your back a Liver bird with the Stanley knife they've been hiding from the bizzies since 1978 as they hugged you in celebration of their first title in 3 decades. It seems a lot for you is "dimming". So rather than ponder the outcome of the Premier League this season, I think you ought to spend what time remains before May taking a long look inwards at a soul who sees only human fellowship where, in actual fact, wicked tribalism remains undimmed.

Devils11

Don't worry friend. They will stop at 2-0 and pass the ball around and United won't even get the ball for the last 10 minutes.

Sterling Archer

Your uncle was a wise man and I'm disgusted to see you disavow the wisdom he spent a lifetime accruing to place in your hands. Meanwhile the "decent folk" Liverpool fans you come across in your new world territories would -if they hailed from Liverpool- carve into your back a Liver bird with the Stanley knife they've been hiding from the bizzies since 1978 as they hugged you in celebration of their first title in 3 decades. It seems a lot for you is "dimming". So rather than ponder the outcome of the Premier League this season, I think you ought to spend what time remains before May taking a long look inwards at a soul who sees only human fellowship where, in actual fact, wicked tribalism remains undimmed.
:lol: I don't think I'll see a better reply... That last line in particular reads like a bloody best selling novel !

SER19

I despise Liverpool. Their fan base is a weirdly brainwashed collective and the least likable in almost all of football. But they will win a title eventually. They're not going to never win one. If it did happen its better it happens when we're not even competing for it

Abhinav

Ultimately, there is no guarantee that us losing will hand City the title. They can very well go and mess up in the next game, stranger things have happened before.

What is almost guaranteed is that if we win our next 4 games, we will make Top 4 and give us a better platform to rebuild next season.
Having said that, I have very little hope that we will be able to turn over City given that our players seem to have given up

ChrisNelson

As painful as it is, and I never thought I'd say it as a United fan I do want us to get beat tomorrow night. With the results over the weekend we will still have a good stab at finishing top 4.

However if it's going to happen it would be nice if they nick it in the last minute of injury time, just when the scousers are starting to think it's really happening.

Because let's face it, with the remaining fixtures if we take something from City tomorrow night they will almost certainly have blown it. The only thing that might save the world from a Liverpool title win is their on-going participation in the Champions League meaning a couple of extra games over City (I doubt City will be doing anything to save themselves for the FA Cup Final).

Member 116853

As a wise man once said, City are the real evil. But they don't really get true credit when they win the League because everybody knows they would still be a load of shite without the oil money.
As for Liverpool, and their obnoxious fans in particular, they have never given any other team credit for winning the League. They still consider themselves to be better than any other and that the trophy is theirs by right. A quarter of a century of dross notwithstanding. They are the epitome of sore losers.
I hope we smash City. But I would love it, absolutely love it, if the dirties fall at the last hurdle.

I dont care much about this team if they lose or win,so I would happily take the loss if it prevents Liverpool winning the PL.
Now,had I cared about this team I would likely feel differently but,lets be honest,our players aren't exactly relatable and many dont actually give a hoot about the club if we're being honest.

Hughes35

We must do our absolute best to lose. No excuses, our players have let us down too many times recently and I can't bear them letting us down again by getting a result in this one.

SirAF

Ageist
We must do our absolute best to lose. No excuses, our players have let us down too many times recently and I can't bear them letting us down again by getting a result in this one.
I'm not so sure.. Look at Pogba shooting his mouth off about being better against City etc. feckers. You just know that this is the match those scumbags are going to show up for.

After the rubbish effort the players have put in recently I may actually feel cheated that they would put in a performance against City.They'll be no different to clubs having their 'cup final' against us.Small time mentality.And this time its not going to wash with me.

SirAF

Ageist
After the rubbish effort the players have put in recently I may actually feel cheated that they would put in a performance against City.They'll be no different to clubs having their 'cup final' against us.Small time mentality.And this time its not going to wash with me.
Exactly.

Vadim

Well fecking said my man. Exactly how I feel now.

Robbie Boy

Well said.

Cabin Clown

No way. This is the sort of thinking Liverpool fans had for years begruding us more than supporting their own team. I want top 4 and that's all that matters to me.

bondsname

I want to win against City, I don't care if who wins the PL if it isn't United.

Option 1: Liverpool win the PL and United get a top 4: We get CL and can attract the quality we need for the rebuild.

Option 2: City win the PL and United miss out on top 4: Who wants to come to a messy club in the Europa League?

In my opinion, aiming for success in the long term is smarter than purposely losing to City to deny our bitter rivals a trophy. I would choose option 1.

Lowkey

i will hate this team even more if we actually beat City. Meh, its sad but its the truth. I would rather be in Europa and not see Liverpool win the league. Fact.

diarm

We'll beat City and then lose to Chelsea. I'm about 83% sure of it.