Do we want to lose to City?

Josh 76

Simple answer yes!

I have got over City winning it, and put it down to them buying it.

I couldn’t deal with the Klopp love in... Gerrard on the pitch (full kit on, shin pads and all) against Wolves watching them hold the trophy.

Plus we need time out of the CL to clear up the mess of our squad, so yes I want to lose, doesn’t mean I’ll support City just probably won’t watch.
Gerrard will probably lift the fecking trophy.[/QUOTE]

Red00012

Your players won't actively throw the game, I just think you're currently not good enough to beat them anyway.
I agree I’ve been trying to tell friends of mine who support Liverpool this , they’ve been saying they want Utd winning games to stay in the hunt for top4 and when derby day comes around they need to win. I’ve been saying they’re not going to go out and down tools it’s a derby but we just don’t have the quality to beat city.

Ady87

Would be genuinely interested to know the background and locality of those with opinions on every end of this argument.

I can't explain how badly Liverpool winning the league would be for me as a United fan working a stones throw away from the Albert Dock.

Spielmacher

Would be genuinely interested to know the background and locality of those with opinions on every end of this argument.

I can't explain how badly Liverpool winning the league would be for me as a United fan working a stones throw away from the Albert Dock.
Absolutely, that's what it comes down to, I have no regular contact with Liverpool fans in real-life and it matters less to me.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
My money is on Young
I'm worried City are getting quite nervous and this might actually happen to them. Fernandinho getting a fair treatment by a ref for the first time in his life. We only draw (which would be the worst possible result) and then proceed to lose to Chelsea.

Orestetes

If we win or draw, and Liverpool become champions because of it, and we still end up missing out on top four, I'd feel pretty miserable

Ixion

If we win this and end up in the Europa league and Liverpool win the League I'm done with football.

Betson

After the rubbish effort the players have put in recently I may actually feel cheated that they would put in a performance against City.They'll be no different to clubs having their 'cup final' against us.Small time mentality.And this time its not going to wash with me.
Plus one to that , but I think we will see a reaction tomorrow night and a much better performance.

Which will just reinforce the point that they can't be bothered most of the time unless they are personally criticized , doing it just for the honour of the club week in week out is not enough incentive for them.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I'm not so sure.. Look at Pogba shooting his mouth off about being better against City etc. feckers. You just know that this is the match those scumbags are going to show up for.
Agreed, would be typical of Pogba to score a last minute equalizer and celebrate like he's won the CL when the fans cry in the stand. :mad:

Cal?

CR7 fan
I want to win against City, I don't care if who wins the PL if it isn't United.

Option 1: Liverpool win the PL and United get a top 4: We get CL and can attract the quality we need for the rebuild.

Option 2: City win the PL and United miss out on top 4: Who wants to come to a messy club in the Europa League?

In my opinion, aiming for success in the long term is smarter than purposely losing to City to deny our bitter rivals a trophy. I would choose option 1.
Option 2 all day:

We've signed better players without CL qualification in the past few years.

It's much better for the club long terms to stay on our perch.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I couldn't care less what City win. Where I live (North Wales) practically everybody supports either United or Liverpool. To me, City are still the team of Paul Dickov, Nicky Weaver and Shaun Goater. I feel just the same about them as I would if an oil billionaire bought a load of trophies for Bolton.

If we miss out on CL, it'll make some Tuesday and Wednesday nights next year a bit shit. However, if we're responsible for handing the title to fecking Liverpool, I don't think I'd hear the end of it as long as I live.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
After the rubbish effort the players have put in recently I may actually feel cheated that they would put in a performance against City.They'll be no different to clubs having their 'cup final' against us.Small time mentality.And this time its not going to wash with me.
Absolutely this.

I hope City wipe the floor with us.

red4ever 79

There is not one single player who played on Sunday that would start this for me. That being said we will do nothing in the champions league next year anyhow. This nonsense that we have to be in the champions league to attract decent players is tosh. We would never hear the end of it if Liverpool won the league.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I can’t believe what I’m reading on here! No true fan would want their team to lose under ANY circumstances. Having said that if we win I will be raging as it just proves this team only turns up when they feel like it and when it’s the big occasion. Believe me as a United fan since 1972 I hate Liverpool with a passion but if they win the league as a result then so be it. You can’t deny they have played the best football and have a great attacking philosophy?
That's simply not true, is it? It depends what you give up and what you get out of it.

What does the last sentence have to do with this thread?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
How many games have we lost this season in all competitions? Ten? Twelve? I’m not going to lose sleep over one more, to be very fecking honest with you. Sunday was the nadir to end all nadirs and I couldn’t give a toss about these charlatans any longer. I’ll be livid if they choose tomorrow night to finally show some backbone.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I couldn't care less who wins the title. All I care about is getting top 4 so we don't have to overpay to bring in mercenaries who may only make our current predicament worse.

If Liverpool win the title, so be it. They'll deserve it and frankly they are far better value than City for it. I don't think many will hate Liverpool fans more than me. I grew up with back stabbing arrogant moany twat Liverpool fans as school 'mates', but I've grown up and so should we all.

This Liverpool side is the least dislikeable Liverpool side I can remember. They work hard, play good football and have spent well and built something.

I may never be a fan of Liverpool fans, but I can be bigger than them and respect good football.

There is also the theory that Liverpool winning could be a knock to our perch which will still be riding high above Liverpool, albeit just, and this this could be the catalyst for the Glazers to invest harder to ensure we maintain top billing.

City would take decades to overcome United's fan base. Liverpool far less time. This is a battle that means something to us, but importantly also transcends to the commercial space.

If we lose this battle, we may just win the war.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Definitely. I don't want to play in the Europa League anyway. Would rather finish sixth than fifth.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It'll be too hard not to get caught up in the atmosphere & support United once we kick-off.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
There is also the theory that Liverpool winning could be a knock to our perch which will still be riding high above Liverpool, albeit just, and this this could be the catalyst for the Glazers to invest harder to ensure we maintain top billing.
The Glazers have tested to destruction the proposition that we need to win stuff to make a profit. People need to wake up to that.

GBBQ

No. Not while Top 4 is still an option. For all our complaining about United's form, Arsenal and Chelsea both messed up a winnable game that could have put them comfortably in the mix and failed to do so and Spurs losing to City keeps them still in the mix. All 3 are still involved in European competition as well so you have to think their focus is divided on priorities.

The best way to describe it is, I wont be as disappointed as normal if City win but United to finish in the top 4 would open more doors for Solskjaer than a Europa League finish. Lets go for a win and hope Newcastle and Wolves beat Liverpool.

Maccataq

Here is worst case scenario...

We beat City
Liverpool win the title
We finish 4th
Spurs finish 5th
Arsenal/Chelsea finish 6th
Spurs win the CL
Arsenal/Chelsea with the EL
We get bumped to the EL

Cal?

CR7 fan
How many games have we lost this season in all competitions? Ten? Twelve? I’m not going to lose sleep over one more, to be very fecking honest with you. Sunday was the nadir to end all nadirs and I couldn’t give a toss about these charlatans any longer. I’ll be livid if they choose tomorrow night to finally show some backbone.
This, if we somehow draw this game tomorrow, I'd dislike this group of players even more.

SirFergie

Plus one to that , but I think we will see a reaction tomorrow night and a much better performance.

Which will just reinforce the point that they can't be bothered most of the time unless they are personally criticized , doing it just for the honour of the club week in week out is not enough incentive for them.
Which is fine with me, that is if they put the effort in.

Will just reinforce the point that they need clearing out at the end of the season. But I, for one, am sick and tired of rolling over for those cnuts.

SteveCoppellFan

We just cannot gift Liverpool the league ..

Those kind of stains just never wash out.

Are we good enough to get top 4 anyway ... probably not but due to Arsenal and Chelsea being just as abject we could actually fluke it.

Losing to City and finishing 4th is almost wishful thinking ... damn im actually hoping for that scenario these days ... its sobering how low my hopes are !

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I don't think we're having much choice here. Our only hopes for this game is a lucky draw / win where De Gea makes 30 saves and City misses a few sitters, because otherwise we will loose comfortably.

Eric7C

Incentive for Öle to knock them off their perch is irrelevant if he doesn't have the ability to do it.
It's an if still isn't it? We don't know. My opinion is that he does, but it might be hard to isolate his ability given the shambolic nature of how the club is being run.

Celoti23-81

No, Utd to win all the way. Let Liverpool have their moment of glory and brag about how they have won as many premier leagues as the higher echelons of the likes of Leicester and Blackburn.

Reactions: SteveJ

Meller

No, Utd to win all the way. Let Liverpool have their moment of glory and brag about how they have won as many premier leagues as the higher echelons of the likes of Leicester and Blackburn.
They'll be one behind us, with us not getting near anytime soon. Silly reasoning.