g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we want to lose to City?

redmanx

1. City are noisy neighbors, not rivals, you lot are the rivals.
2. We made bigger signings without CL in the last few years.
Good grief, have the last few years made us so "smalltime" that we want to lose to City? This is pure Liverpool 1990's territory.

No, we win every game. If that results in Liverpool winning the league, fine, we'll just have to knock them back off their perch yet again.
We shouldn't give a rats about what Liverpool, City, Spurs or anybody else does, we want to win every game no matter how it might affect other teams. We cant win every game but we should never, never want to lose in order to get one over our rivals.

KingKlopp

Supports
Liverpool
Surely you've got to wish to get your house in order and try and get CL, Arsenal lost, Chelsea drew think back to Blackburn in 95, we didn't roll over and let sentiment take over we won the game 2-1. Some of your squad are playing for their future be it at your club or at another club. With the attitude on display currently I'm struggling to think any of them I'd take well there is one Rashford as I'd think he's got a great future in the game.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We shouldn't give a rats about what Liverpool, City, Spurs or anybody else does, we want to win every game no matter how it might affect other teams. We cant win every game but we should never, never want to lose in order to get one over our rivals.
That’s simply irrational. I can understand some may say we need CL so should try to win, but to say we should try to win regardless of the rest of the league is just naive.

Do you still want to win this game if we have already confirmed 3rd place?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
How exactly is this Liverpool 1990s territory when the vast majority wanted Chelsea to beat Liverpool back in 2014? This is the club's reality and has been for a while, years of under performance and wishing for other people's failures.

I was jumping for joy when Spurs knocked City out of the CL. Put to bed that nonsense talk about the quadruple. It's a bit of consolation after watching us get battered by Barcelona.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
The Glazers have tested to destruction the proposition that we need to win stuff to make a profit. People need to wake up to that.
Nonsense, we have still been in and around the top spots, mostly been in CL. We have won the FA Cup League Cup and Europa Cup in the post SAF era. We are far from a tested to destruction proposition and frankly the Glazers can't be blamed too much. They paid off Moyes 6 year contract, LVG 1 year, Jose's 2/3 years. They have spent how many hundreds of millions on players.

They might be guilty of not modernising the structure, or going all in, or investing over and above what SAF demanded to ensure the long term outlook was rosier, but it's hardly been the doom and gloom you make out.

The other issue I guess has been investing in loss making assets and doubling down on those losses in the case of Jones/ Smalling, etc, but if you take Fellaini as a case study there are times when renewing a contract has paid back, albeit not many!

Giggs86

If we do end up throwing the game it may bite us in the ass in the future. Slippy G has experienced karma first hand after throwing a game to prevent us from winning the title and then ended up throwing his only shot at winning the title literally in the same fixture four years later.

We have to worry about ourselves. To have any chance of top four, we need to win the derby. The fact United are available at around 6/1 tomorrow tells you everything about our situation.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Nonsense, we have still been in and around the top spots, mostly been in CL. We have won the FA Cup League Cup and Europa Cup in the post SAF era. We are far from a tested to destruction proposition and frankly the Glazers can't be blamed too much. They paid off Moyes 6 year contract, LVG 1 year, Jose's 2/3 years. They have spent how many hundreds of millions on players.

They might be guilty of not modernising the structure, or going all in, or investing over and above what SAF demanded to ensure the long term outlook was rosier, but it's hardly been the doom and gloom you make out.

The other issue I guess has been investing in loss making assets and doubling down on those losses in the case of Jones/ Smalling, etc, but if you take Fellaini as a case study there are times when renewing a contract has paid back, albeit not many!
The Glazers have spent a grand total of ZERO, every penny we've spent was our own. We have payed more in interest payments than players since the glazer take over. The Glazers have actually taken money out of the club, not added to it.

The Glazers have spent a grand total of ZERO, every penny we've spent was our own. We have payed more in interest payments than players since the glazer take over. The Glazers have actually taken money out of the club, not added to it.
It shouldn't even need reiterating at this stage, mate. It isn't their money they've spent.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It shouldn't even need reiterating at this stage, mate. It isn't their money they've spent.
Yet the myth about them spending money keeps on getting repeated. There's a strong case that the Glazers are the reason we are in the spot we are. We had to slow down our spending to account for the newly accumulated debt and only after several years did we start spending big again. Those years of replacing our world class players with mediocre players caught up with us, SAF papered over the cracks.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If we do end up throwing the game it may bite us in the ass in the future. Slippy G has experienced karma first hand after throwing a game to prevent us from winning the title and then ended up throwing his only shot at winning the title literally in the same fixture four years later.
So we need someone who won’t be around to slip in the future to do it. Young pass to Aguero?

RedMilo

No we don't want to lose, but we will lose. I will be there but have had my doubts about going.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I have quite enjoyed the serious discussions from all Liverpool supporters about what United fans *should* want.

Out of curiosity, would the Liverpool supporters state whether they prefer us or Everton to win the league next year?

red4ever 79

We have to worry about ourselves. To have any chance of top four, we need to win the derby. The fact United are available at around 6/1 tomorrow tells you everything about our situation.
God forbid if we didnt get top four so that we can get completely outclassed again next season in that tournament. Get out of Europe for a couple of years, rip the club up from top to bottom. Get a structure in place in terms of management/recruitment/dof. Get players in who want to play for Manchester United and represent the badge. Not that brigade we saw on Sunday. Every single one of those should be shipped out

Brilad

Liverpool Fan
I find Utd fans wanting to lose when nothing else but a win is needed is bizarre.
You need to be in the top four end off,or you might start to slip further and further away as it looks like you need at least five top players (maybe more).
It’s like a mirror image of Liverpool after Dalglish left the dynasty was over ,big squad ageing players on fat contracts the similarity’s are startling.
And believe me if Mr Rashford or anyone else for that matter bangs a winner or equaliser in I will be going bloody mental in my celebrations.❤⚽

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Well yes this is an argument against the Glazers, but they could have drained far more out of the club. They have clearly tried and failed to invest in success. You also forget how much value they have created through commercial deals, although you could argue much of that could have happened anyway.

zonaldefending

Liverpool Fan
I have quite enjoyed the serious discussions from all Liverpool supporters about what United fans *should* want.

Out of curiosity, would the Liverpool supporters state whether they prefer us or Everton to win the league next year?
Can you give us a realistic question at least?

redmanx

That’s simply irrational. I can understand some may say we need CL so should try to win, but to say we should try to win regardless of the rest of the league is just naive.

Do you still want to win this game if we have already confirmed 3rd place?
I have never and will never want United to lose a game; how can you build a winning mentality by not wanting to win? Yes, when its a question of a draw will do I agree its not smart to go all out for a win, but if you play every game to win from day 1 that sort of scenario rarely happens. What City, Liverpool, Barca, Real etc etc do is of no consequence to me though I didn't want to see City trump our treble and I don't want Liverpool to over take our number of League championships, if that happens it happens, I wont lose sleep over them.

parkthebuslads

Either a very very casual fan, or it's his first season
Certainly not my first season, been a fan for 30 years. As for being "casual", I have no interest in hating other clubs - I find it really rather immature and ugly. If that's being casual, so be it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
You know what, I don't mind if Liverpool win the league. Whatever. I'll ignore their fans. I don't care. I'd rather City win the league but no way am I going to support us losing this game.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Certainly not my first season, been a fan for 30 years. As for being "casual", I have no interest in hating other clubs - I find it really rather immature and ugly. If that's being casual, so be it.
So the fans who get rivalry are both immature and ugly.

Really?

KristianMackle

I love United far more than I hate Liverpool so yes I want us to win! Don't think we will but I hope we do.
The boys need to put in a proper shift after the Everton thumping. The fans at the very least, deserve that.

Nobody wants Liverpool to win the league, but it doesn't take priority over our own results. We need the Champions League income and failure to qualify would have impact on getting potential signings. I fully expect a spanking, but I want us to win. I can't imagine going into a derby and wanting City to win.

lsd

The Oracle
I really can't consider anyone a utd fan if they want to lose to city.

It's the most pathetically embarrassing small-time thing I can think off

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I really can't consider anyone a utd fan if they want to lose to city.

It's the most pathetically embarrassing small-time thing I can think off
Come kick off, we'll all back the team, but when we get turned over it won't be a disaster.

It's similar to when you're in the end days of a crap manager - you don't quite want to lose, but you want the manager out, so it's a bit of a relief.

If we scrape top 4, you just know Ole won't be backed like he should be.
Coming 6th will get the Glazers and Ed's ass twitching.

m1tch

Yeah I want us to lose, not badly but we've got to take one for the team this time.
The fact it Fuchs us over for 4th is really disappointing but that's not down to having to lose this game, that's down to what the players have been doing lately.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you want us to lose, you care more about Liverpool losing than us winning. That's odd to me
What are we actually winning though? A one off game, and potentially scrape top 4? It's well off where we want to be, and might well give the Glazers reasons to believe we're fine.