Do we want to lose to City?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah I want us to lose, not badly but we've got to take one for the team this time.
The fact it Fuchs us over for 4th is really disappointing but that's not down to having to lose this game, that's down to what the players have been doing lately.
It's only Chelsea and Arsenal being so poor midweek that even leaves it open still. Amazing!

We'll put a great effort in tomorrow, but I dare say we'll come up a bit short, unless City's weak midfield of Foden and Gundogan lets them down.
As we'll have McTom and Matic or Fred in there, it probably might not even be decisive anyway!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you want City to lose, then you want Liverpool to win the PL title. That's odd to me.
I get what people say about support your own team first, but this is very rare circumstances here.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Exactly, this is "all hands on deck". It's an absolute emergency!
It'll be quite surreal if we score first tomorrow, especially for me, as I've seen us score 3 (in total!) in 8 games this season :lol:

I'll ease the pressure pre game by saying don't worry chaps, i'm here - we probably won't score!

SirAF

Ageist
It'll be quite surreal if we score first tomorrow, especially for me, as I've seen us score 3 (in total!) in 8 games this season :lol:

I'll ease the pressure pre game by saying don't worry chaps, i'm here - we probably won't score!
Good man, taking one for the team :devil:

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
On the surface, United winning the last 4 games of the season and Arsenal losing one of their last 4 is downright easy to imagine. But given quite possibly the worst form we've seen in over 30 years, while facing one of the PL's best ever teams, is that realistically possible?

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Never want United to lose. Whoever wins the league deserves it over the course of the season, not just the outcome of the derby.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
You can’t complain about the players lacking desire and pride or disrespecting the badge when fans hope we lose to City which will cost ourselves a top four place.

It’s silly to keep saying it on a public when City will win anyway.

reddevil80

God forbid if we didnt get top four so that we can get completely outclassed again next season in that tournament. Get out of Europe for a couple of years, rip the club up from top to bottom. Get a structure in place in terms of management/recruitment/dof. Get players in who want to play for Manchester United and represent the badge. Not that brigade we saw on Sunday. Every single one of those should be shipped out
Here here✊

reddevil80

I can see us turning City over tomorrow as the players will surely be feeling embarrassed and will want to show the boss that rhey want to stay and be the best. I'm going for a home win tomorrow.

peridigm

New conspiracy theory. We finish top 4. Liverpool win the league. Spurs finish 5th but win CL.

Schmeichel=God

The most annoying thing is that had two results gone our way, and if Tottenham's result stays as it is now, 0-0, then we would be on 70 points sat comfortably in third.

The Arsenal game could have been one. But the Wolves game should have been, they've been shite since. The Everton game could have been the other. Two wins out of those three and Ole's performed the miracle.

Instead we've had a god awful dip in form, cohesion, fluidity, incision...just everything to do with good football. And now we're asking this question about losing to City to stop Liverpool winning the league, when if we'd just won 2 of those previous 3, we could afford to lose to them and not gift Liverpool it.

So it's an absolute joke of a circumstance. But, given Chelsea, Arsenal & Tottenham's results I think there's more points to be dropped yet. And it's more important for us to achieve something out of the ordinary. In these recent circumstances I'd rather us beat City, exorcise our demons, grab fourth or third, and watch Liverpool win their title. After which we rebuild with a vengeance, newly resurgent.

HailtotheKing

I wants what's best for United. My question is, is it better for us if we finish out of the top 4 anyway?
That way we possibly get way more money to spend on transfers to help us get back there like last time.
And if we finish out of the top 4, does that mean we will get players who want to play for us, rather than ones obsessed only by the Champion's League.
Or on the flip side players that are coming only for the money?

That's my dilemma. But I think if we actually identify the players with the right personality for United then it doesn't matter.
So maybe it's better to be out of top 4 and City win the title?

Win-Win.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I really can't consider anyone a utd fan if they want to lose to city.

It's the most pathetically embarrassing small-time thing I can think off
I really can’t consider anyone a Utd fan if they want to see Liverpool win the title.

It’s almost as if everything Sir Alex did to knock them off the perch means nothing to them.

Sara125

Need us to lose this one, I'm afraid. After the loss against Everton I have no believe that our current team could do what is required to get top4, even if we'd somehow stumble on to a draw or a win against City.

Liverpool winning the title would require me to cut ties with some friends and family members who would no doubt be insufferable for a few years.
You’re willing to cut off your family because of FOOTBALL? :houllier:

lsd

The Oracle
I really can’t consider anyone a Utd fan if they want to see Liverpool win the title.

It’s almost as if everything Sir Alex did to knock them off the perch means nothing to them.

I never knew 19 titles is more than 20

Cal?

CR7 fan
19 is a lot closer to 20 than 18. Why facilitate their 19?

If we somehow get to the same position next season and beating City hands them 20, do you still want to ‘win every game’?

BlueHaze

Tbh with the way things are going for them they are more likely to get 21 before we even win one title. Also if Pep leaves and Klopp stays they'll probably be the main candidates for a while.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Tbh with the way things are going for them they are more likely to get 21 before we even win one title. Also if Pep leaves and Klopp stays they'll probably be the main candidates for a while.
Hopefully Real Madrid dismantles their team this summer.

BlueHaze

Hopefully Real Madrid dismantles their team this summer.
Seems unlikely tbh. Doesn't seem like Zidane is interested in anyone. Seems he's set his sights on Pogba and Hazard which will probably take up 60% of their budget.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Seems unlikely tbh. Doesn't seem like Zidane is interested in anyone. Seems he's set his sights on Pogba and Hazard which will probably take up 60% of their budget.
Hopefully Perez does what he’s best at.

ravi2

I dont really give a shit anymore, as long as Ed and the Glazers are in charge nothing will every truly change

Sparky Rhiwabon

Is there a point to stay in the premier league since we are not favorites to win it?

I don't understand why people don't want us to go for the champions league. We may not win it, but we got to the last 8 and the gap to the top is probably smaller than it has been before.
Hmm, yeah I suppose, Premier League seems different though as a season long thing. I get what you’re saying though.

Patrick08

I can see us turning City over tomorrow as the players will surely be feeling embarrassed and will want to show the boss that rhey want to stay and be the best. I'm going for a home win tomorrow.
Only if we get the ball mate.:D

WYRM

As much as I dislike Liverpool... my love for United is stronger. I rather see us placed inside the top 4 and Liverpool win the Premier League than us lose against City and severely diminishing our chances of playing CL next season.

Regardless of win or lose, what I by no way want to see is another lacklustre performance by the team. After having embarassed the club against Everton, they have to show an appropriate response on the pitch against City. This is what pains me most about our current malaise. You can win or lose, everybody has bad days, but you can never give up yourself and the club like our current players so often do. Hell, Scholes, Giggs et al had their fair share of bad performances. But at least they were willing to give up a fight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh 76

I'm telling all you Utd fans who want us to beat City, if Liverpool win the league this year, they will only get stronger. Another 3 titles and another couple of European cups in the next few years is more than possible. In a world dominated by social media and commercial sponsorships, this could be a new era of dominance by them. Having lived through it in the 80's , if was a 24hour fecking nightmare.
On the other hand, if they don't win it this year , they may not recover and I can see it falling apart very quickly.

Any other team going for the title, I wouldn't give a feck. But these are our closest rivals in world football. Their fan base is big as our around the world. Their trophy cabinet is big as ours. They are the only club that scares me of dominating and over taking us In the next few years. It took us 25 years to claw them back , I'm not waiting another 25 years just so we can build some confidence with a win over our neighbours.
Just be careful what you wish for.

lsd

The Oracle
19 is a lot closer to 20 than 18. Why facilitate their 19?

If we somehow get to the same position next season and beating City hands them 20, do you still want to ‘win every game’?

Yes as if we win every game we couldn't be in that position again

SirAF

Ageist
I'm telling all you Utd fans who want us to beat City, if Liverpool win the league this year, they will only get stronger. Another 3 titles and another couple of European cups in the next few years is more than possible. In a world dominated by social media and commercial sponsorships, this could be a new era of dominance by them. Having lived through it in the 80's , if was a 24hour fecking nightmare.
On the other hand, if they don't win it this year , they may not recover and I can see it falling apart very quickly.

Any other team going for the title, I wouldn't give a feck. But these are our closest rivals in world football. Their fan base is big as our around the world. Their trophy cabinet is big as ours. They are the only club that scares me of dominating and over taking us In the next few years. It took us 25 years to claw them back , I'm not waiting another 25 years just so we can build some confidence with a win over our neighbours.
Just be careful what you wish for.
This guy gets it.