g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we want to lose to City?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I get this sentiment. Personally I am not going to celebrate if we win, or if we lose. Almost feel like a neutral for this game, such a shitty state of affairs.

Preferably if the rest of the top 4 contenders drop points on the weekend if we lose this, that would be great.
That's the best way to sum this up.

The One and Only

I'm telling all you Utd fans who want us to beat City, if Liverpool win the league this year, they will only get stronger. Another 3 titles and another couple of European cups in the next few years is more than possible. In a world dominated by social media and commercial sponsorships, this could be a new era of dominance by them. Having lived through it in the 80's , if was a 24hour fecking nightmare.
On the other hand, if they don't win it this year , they may not recover and I can see it falling apart very quickly.

Any other team going for the title, I wouldn't give a feck. But these are our closest rivals in world football. Their fan base is big as our around the world. Their trophy cabinet is big as ours. They are the only club that scares me of dominating and over taking us In the next few years. It took us 25 years to claw them back , I'm not waiting another 25 years just so we can build some confidence with a win over our neighbours.
Just be careful what you wish for.
Exactly how i feel. It's simple. If we take points off City, we hand Liverpool their 19th title on a platter. And we may not even get top 4 anyway!

It's a no brainer. We need to lose for the greater good

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAvengers

It's nice to believe we have a choice and when we do lose we can say we done it on purpose to stop Scousers winning the league haha! who will hate it and wind them up, lovely day! :keano::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal?

CR7 fan
It doesn't seem like the United we have always loved are playing tonight, but an anaemic version of that. The real question should be, do they even care if they win or lose tonight?
I certainly care about handing the title to Liverpool.

United Hobbit

I can see the players turning up for this and getting a win or draw then going and losing to Huddersfield or something. If they had only won a couple of the last games we wouldn't be in this position especially with our rivals all dropping points. If they can somehow come out with a fantastic performance after the dross they've served up the last few games I'm not sure how I'll feel.

I think what makes it worse is the fact it isnt a scenario of if we lose this we have less chance of winning the league and City are more likely to win than Liverpool- we have been nowhere near the league challenge so are looked at almost how a smaller club would be and being asked to do Liverpool a favour. I think that combined with the luck they have received (offside goals v Westham, huge number of goalkeeping errors) and the media gushing is what makes City the lesser of the 2 evils. Those who have said they feel like a neutral is a good way of looking at it.

Last edited:

The Purley King

Night of the game you might feel a slight sting. That’s pride fecking with you. feck pride!
Marcellus Wallace

Pretty much sums up how I feel now, just hope our players don’t turn into Bruce Willis

Josh 76

If the Utd players raise their game Tommo and win, then drop points in their remaining fixtures.
They can all feck off , including ole.

Giggsyking

Have some self respect ffs, I dont give a shit who wins the league as long my team win the match.

adam118

Klopp will bottle it in his own special way anyway, we need top four! If arsenal lose we are back in contention.

Mrdan1709

Yup. I can see Arsenal win every game till the end of the season which would make our win against City futile.
Arsenal have tough away games and will also be drained from europa league. I really doubt they win all their games. Leicester away and Wolves away seem like games they will lose.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yup. I can see Arsenal win every game till the end of the season which would make our win against City futile.
I don’t think Arsenal are going to win all their games, but also I don’t think we’ll beat Chelsea anyway

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
A draw would be the worst result.

We would still miss top 4 and Pool would likely win the league.

SirAF

Ageist
I like how people seem to think we have an option. Considering how we were dominated by Everton I doubt we can beat City even if we tried.
Let’s bloody hope so, but you never know. They shouldn’t have stood a chance against PSG either..

Bratt

As much as I’d hate a Liverpool title, I would never wish for a United loss. My love for my club is simply just a bit stronger than my hate for Liverpool.

Also, I don’t see if Liverpool win this year, they will dominate for the next ten years or so. It’s a different league now, than it was back in the 80’s-00’s, with all the money around.
City will definitely have their say in next years title races, probably Chelsea and Tottenham as well, and hopefully we will too.

The thing is, if we lose and have to play EL (which we might have to even with a win to night, I know) we will have a way bigger challenge to fight for the title for the next few years. Thursday night matches have proven to be a nightmare for clubs, as matches the following weekend are usually lost or drawn. Just look at Chelsea this season.

So no, feck Liverpool, but if they should win and make it 19, it’s our god damn job to make it 21 before they hit 20!

LInkash

Some people here will probably enjoy us losing this more than that night in Paris. Will be their favourite moment of the season.

UpWithRivers

Have some self respect ffs, I dont give a shit who wins the league as long my team win the match.
You don't care the scousers will win the league? I don't care as much as some as I was brought up close to Newcastle and I hate them more but come on!

SirAF

Ageist
As much as I’d hate a Liverpool title, I would never wish for a United loss. My love for my club is simply just a bit stronger than my hate for Liverpool.

Also, I don’t see if Liverpool win this year, they will dominate for the next ten years or so. It’s a different league now, than it was back in the 80’s-00’s, with all the money around.
City will definitely have their say in next years title races, probably Chelsea and Tottenham as well, and hopefully we will too.

The thing is, if we lose and have to play EL (which we might have to even with a win to night, I know) we will have a way bigger challenge to fight for the title for the next few years. Thursday night matches have proven to be a nightmare for clubs, as matches the following weekend are usually lost or drawn. Just look at Chelsea this season.

So no, feck Liverpool, but if they should win and make it 19, it’s our god damn job to make it 21 before they hit 20!
All the more reason to hope they don’t win it! This is their golden chance, if they fail now they might not be in a similar position for quite some time..

The EL problem could be bypassed by playingg the kids - which would give the manager and the players a full week of preparation for each league match.

Enigma_87

You know who
Arsenal have tough away games and will also be drained from europa league. I really doubt they win all their games. Leicester away and Wolves away seem like games they will lose.
I don’t think Arsenal are going to win all their games, but also I don’t think we’ll beat Chelsea anyway
Leicester are awful at home this year apart from that City win. All three teams have nothing to play for as well.

Having said that I expect Arsenal to drop points against Wolves. Even Brighton can take a point.

Our game vs Chelsea might seem decisive, but even if we throw everything tonight City are still much better than us and would probably win anyway.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nah, I don't see them fading away. Agree with the rest, though.
Not fade completely, but they'll never have as many favourable breaks as this year again!

Bar chasing such a top team they couldn't have hoped for a better set of circumstances.
How many keepers made last min gaffes for one?

fergosaurus

A loss is a win for us tonight. I had a nightmare last night that Liverpool won the league with a late goal on the last game of the season *shudders*

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Liverpool winning the league is the most catastrophic outcome. If we get turned over tonight then that’s not the reason we miss top four. This squad is so fecking stupid that they probably nick a point tonight. Gormless arseholes.

Smores

I don't see a lack of self-respect i see a recognition that it's an irrelevant result to us and most aren't too proud to accept that they'd rather lose a meaningless game than Liverpool win the league.

Wanting to win despite not wanting the outcome isn't self-respect

SirAF

Ageist
I don't see a lack of self-respect i see a recognition that it's an irrelevant result to us and most aren't too proud to accept that they'd rather lose a meaningless game than Liverpool win the league.

Wanting to win despite not wanting the outcome isn't self-respect

Agreed, it’s stupidity.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
To all the United fans who want lose to tonight. I get it.

But You should hope to lose to City every league game for the next few seasons in that case. This Liverpool team is not a flash in the pan.

If we don't win the league with a probable 95 or 97 point total this season, Klopp is not going anywhere!

Honest John

What would we say if the roles were reversed and Liverpool fans were willing their own side to lose so that we didn't win the league?

Truly we'd pan the shite out of them wouldn't we?

We should go all out to win every match regardless of who we are playing.

If Liverpool win the title then they will have deserved it - just like we did and everyone else that wins it.

It's a tough one but we should not descend to the kind of bitterness that they (and City) showed to us when we were on the up.

SirAF

Ageist
What would we say if the roles were reversed and Liverpool fans were willing their own side to lose so that we didn't win the league?

Truly we'd pan the shite out of them wouldn't we?

We should go all out to win every match regardless of who we are playing.

If Liverpool win the title then they will have deserved it - just like we did and everyone else that wins it.

It's a tough one but we should not descend to the kind of bitterness that they (and City) showed to us when we were on the up.
No, we’d pan the shit out of them if liverpool ended up gifting the title to United.