g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Do we want to lose to City?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Cool bud. I’m more commenting on the thread title anyway. My preference is to win all the games we can, whereas others here want us to help City as much as possible, which means potentially lose to City which I don’t agree with at all.
Surely losing to City to prevent Liverpool from winning the title takes preference above all else.

Sara125

Absolutely not. The way fans on here have been acting this season you would think that united have never won the PL and this’ll be liverpool’s billionth PL title. It’ll be their first time who cares man.

Terminator

Yes please. Controversial opinion maybe but I don't want United to play in the CL next year and get embarrassed by a top team. A proper rebuild is needed which will take time and help us in the long run. As an added benefit it will stop Liverpool from winning the title.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hopefully Cardiff do us a favour tomorrow. Then we can go and beat City with a clear conscience.

Infra-red

Of course we don't want to lose to City. No self-respecting United fan should ever want to lose to those twats.

However, if we have already dropped points vs Everton, defeat against City won't hurt quite as badly as it usually does.

RedNed77

What’s been lost in all this is I think people are forgetting that we get to give city fans a lot of shit if we end their title chances. Yes we have to listen to the scousers, but I do know quite a few obnoxious blues as well. It’d be nice to give them some shit about losing the title at OT.

King Eric 7

I just can't imagine sitting there in front of the TV willing on City to beat us on our own turf. I mean FFS how can you not feel at least a little bit dirty doing that, irrespective of what that means for the league table. If City are going to deny the scousers the title, they have to do it without our help. Liverpool can still slip up yet anyway, City may not even need to win the rest of their games.

Sterling Archer

Since Aguerooooooo, I've wanted to beat City with extra fervor every time we've played them. In the end it's just a personality thing. In my own life I don't make excuses and I don't put the responsibility of what I want on someone else. I'm in charge of my own happiness and what comes in life. Translate that to football, and I look at this as a case where we can keep Liverpool from winning the title this season and the next by winning it ourselves. So focus on getting ourselves to that level. If that had been the case the last few years we wouldn't even be in this position. Even though we were out of the race early we could have taken 6 points off Liverpool this season. Instead we took 2. Even if City beat us and Liverpool win the title, I place the blame squarely on us. We could have had a significant and bigger say by beating them instead of losing to another team. I don't like losing and especially hate my team being okay with losing. But again, it's a personality thing. Some folks are content being a loser so someone else doesn't win. Sad.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Yes, the theatre of dreams will not be used as a platform for local rivals to effectively win the title. More integrity and history than that! Come on Red Devil’s!

Macern

Pee pee pants
Do people realize we’re in a much worse position to attract top level players in the summer without CL? I can’t see for instance Varane coming to us if we don’t have CL football to offer. Maybe Sancho too.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Saw an article saying imagine the possibility of them beating us, winning the league, we finish 5th but they get excluded from Europe next year due to FFP and we get the last spot.

abailey123

I want us not just to beat city, but to humiliate them. If this means Liverpool winning the league so be it. If it’s not united winning the league I couldn’t care less who wins it out of city and Liverpool.

We’ve got to look after number one first and foremost, our form against the top 6 has been poor and we need to go into the Chelsea game with momentum to push for a top 4 place.

Kapardin

Let's keep it simple. If we beat City, every player should get a 10/10 rating from the Caf, even if it's Ashley Young.

If we lose to City, every player gets a 10/10 rating again.:angel:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Do people realize we’re in a much worse position to attract top level players in the summer without CL? I can’t see for instance Varane coming to us if we don’t have CL football to offer. Maybe Sancho too.
Probably the biggest myth in the industry, peddled by money men that want to use CL money to line their pockets. The vast majority of players will take 1 season out of the CL if they get their wages increased by a considerable amount.

the_irish123

I'm pretty sure Liverpool will financially incentivize our players to get at least a draw..

Mike Smalling

Let's hope Cardiff can get a result against Liverpool, so we don't have to deal with this awful dilemma. Even a draw would be enough for us not to worry about the implications of beating City.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Let's hope Cardiff can get a result against Liverpool, so we don't have to deal with this awful dilemma. Even a draw would be enough for us not to worry about the implications of beating City.
Why are you posting on the caf, you should be preparing for the game!

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Most of the stuff has already been said on here, so I'm going to sum up from my side.

First and foremost, I think this club needs a reality check with regards to the quality of players/staff/people we have in running the club. It is nowhere near what is required, even Ole who was lauding the squad is now starting to measure his words. Scraping into Champions League every couple of years is not doing us any favors, because the root is rotten to the core and every year of CL football just papers over that. After 4 managers, this place is finally starting to realize our squad is filled with 1.) Downright rubbish players who have no business of even playing in PL 2.) Few decent players who do not have the mentality to play at this club and 3.) Few quality players who are way too overrated. We need to build and build properly this time with structure in place who can be made accountable for their shit recruitment and management.

Second aspect is already well covered, people need to realize if they go onto win the PL. It would be 2nd highest ever pts tally to win it, versus the side who put the tally in first place and got close again this season. They'd be hailed as best ever team in PL and the media wankfest will go into overdrive. I know way too many Liverpool fans in real life and they are just waiting to go mental.

Having said that, I think there is a sizable gap between us and City. They just earned massive 3 points today and derby is more or less their cup final to win the PL. I think they'll beat us quite convincingly and I am okay with that.

hill16bhoy

Supports
Celtic, Liverpool and The Dubs
Bend over and take one for the greater good.
It's embarrassing for Manchester United to see supporters talking like this.

Have you no shame that you're more interested in deliberately losing a game to hand the title to your hated city rivals than in winning a vital game in terms of Champions League qualification, a game which if you lose, will seriously hinder the rebuilding job that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has to do in the summer, with potentially long term negative implications for the club?

Lucky for you that Liverpool didn't take this attitude in 1995 or 1996 when they played Blackburn and Newcastle - two teams managed by Liverpool legends who were battling with Manchester United for the title. They went out and beat them both.

Have some pride, man, for God's sake.

Web of Bissaka

Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhi and Bailly joined us the season we got no CL.

Di Maria, Herrera, Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Valdes joined us the season we got no CL.

Some/most of those players are not top level player but I'm sure you get the point. :)

Jacko21

I want top four. Europa League is god awful.

Let the chips fall where they may. Go for the win.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Let's keep it simple. If we beat City, every player should get a 10/10 rating from the Caf, even if it's Ashley Young.

If we lose to City, every player gets a 10/10 rating again.:angel:
If we draw everyone gets 0/10?

Macern

Pee pee pants
Zlatan, Pogba, Mkhi and Bailly joined us the season we got no CL.

Di Maria, Herrera, Shaw, Blind, Rojo and Valdes joined us the season we got no CL.

Some/most of those players are not top level player but I'm sure you get the point. :)
Wow, didn’t realize that. Hm, that makes me quite indifferent to the game vs City.

AshRK

No. Hate this mentality. Give our best and hope we beat those arab club

SteveW

We need top 4 to attract good players and keep our best ones. So no, we dont want to lose.

Daft question imo

CaptainAvengers

Proper 80s old school rivalry thread I love it!

In the 80s it was PURE HATE for Liverpool, so throwing a game to stop them winning the league would've been a completely sensible option.. ABL - Anyone But Liverpool was the mantra.

And I don't care about top 4.. losing out on the CL for one season (which doesn't seem to force United in selling star players etc like it would effect other teams United don't seem to get effected much) is worth it if it stops Liverpool winning their first League title in 19+ years..

I really enjoyed seeing United win the Europa League (Mourinho's highlight for me), seeing the kids play and develop.. so I would welcome us in the Europa League on Thursday night.. Europa League is like the Championship to the PL - the Hipsters choice and in many ways is more enjoyable and exciting.

So bring it on.. Thursday nights!! :keano: atleast we can win the Europa League unlike the CL and we can see more of the kids and local Manc lads who put more effort in then the overpaid, over-pampered foreigners ala Pogba, Martial etc

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
So many pros and cons here. I have one more reason for losing against Liverpool. Sure it is nice to play against Barca or PSG and money is far better but it is nice to be in competition where you are the boss and which you actually can win. Europa league is not that bad. For now...

Eriku

Since Aguerooooooo, I've wanted to beat City with extra fervor every time we've played them. In the end it's just a personality thing. In my own life I don't make excuses and I don't put the responsibility of what I want on someone else. I'm in charge of my own happiness and what comes in life. Translate that to football, and I look at this as a case where we can keep Liverpool from winning the title this season and the next by winning it ourselves. So focus on getting ourselves to that level. If that had been the case the last few years we wouldn't even be in this position. Even though we were out of the race early we could have taken 6 points off Liverpool this season. Instead we took 2. Even if City beat us and Liverpool win the title, I place the blame squarely on us. We could have had a significant and bigger say by beating them instead of losing to another team. I don't like losing and especially hate my team being okay with losing. But again, it's a personality thing. Some folks are content being a loser so someone else doesn't win. Sad.
That was a good post until you went all Trump-y at the end.

redshaw

If we beat Everton I think we should try to win or draw. 4 wins and a draw or even 5 wins should take us through.

If we lose to Everton I could be persuaded to forfeit the game against Abu Dhabi. Still 4 wins and one loss is bare minimum which Ole has even said. You would think the loss would come on Wednesday so would be weird to lose tomorrow and win Wednesday and win the rest although we are very capable of that.

I care about United more than anything. Missing top 4 is a big blow. Other big clubs in Europe have the luxury of getting in if they have a dip. Could be a wake up call to miss out or a damning blow in this cut throat league we have in England. These fecking billionaires please go buy clubs in Spain Germany and Italy, you're clearly needed there, you weren't needed in Manchester with one of the world's biggest clubs already there no matter how rough Beswick is.

If one had to be in England, just look how barren the midlands is for football success. They should've bought a club there, not one in Manchester or the north west.

Last edited: