Do we want to lose to City?

lewwoo

I hate liverpool with a passion and the thought of them winning anything brings me out in hives let alone the premier league. Ask me this question at any other point in time under any other circumstance and I would gladly let city bend us over to get one over on them. It just feels like top 4 is massively important to us this year though and will affect who stays and who we sign. I feel dirty saying it but its so tight for top 4 I would be willing for them to win the league if it meant us getting champions league next season.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

That Gerrard backpass to remind those that forgot.

Even I wouldn't make such a mistake and im a woeful footballer.
The hollywood tag was unfair on Slippy G, that was one of the best through balls of the season, he has an eye for a pass.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I hate liverpool with a passion and the thought of them winning anything brings me out in hives let alone the premier league. Ask me this question at any other point in time under any other circumstance and I would gladly let city bend us over to get one over on them. It just feels like top 4 is massively important to us this year though and will affect who stays and who we sign. I feel dirty saying it but its so tight for top 4 I would be willing for them to win the league if it meant us getting champions league next season.
In recent seasons our biggest signings have actually been in seasons after we didn't qualify for the UCL..

It seems to wake the Glazers up from their slumber. Contrast that to last season when we had our best finish post Fergie and we could hardly be bothered to spend

lewwoo

In recent seasons our biggest signings have actually been in seasons after we didn't qualify for the UCL..

It seems to wake the Glazers up from their slumber. Contrast that to last season when we had our best finish post Fergie and we could hardly be bothered to spend
This is true. More worried about who might leave truth be told. We shall see how it plays out. Most exciting finish to a season for a while whatever happens!

Paul_Scholes18

I want us to smash City for us to get top 4. Liverpool or City getting it is terrible either way. Let them slip it up in other games instead.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we lose tomorrow at Everton then top 4 is gone for me. In that scenario I wouldn't mind losing the derby tbh. Hate City but hate the dippers a lot more.

If we win Tomorrow then we are still in with a good shout and probably have to get something against City.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We desperately need Liverpool to slip up this weekend so we can go into the match without any doubts. We need the 3 ourselves with the top 4 race.

Hulksmash

We have to win or next season could be screwed. No question we have to beat them and Everton.

Kapardin

If we draw everyone gets 0/10?
Pretty much. A draw benefits neither us nor City.

And you can bet that our players, when given the choice of win or lose which would be beneficial either way, would typically go on to draw, of course.

peridigm

We desperately need Liverpool to slip up this weekend so we can go into the match without any doubts. We need the 3 ourselves with the top 4 race.
Doubts? There are no doubts. We need 3 pts. No way around that.

Seveneric

This thread just makes me wonder how some of you have gotten through life to this point without slitting your wrists, honestly.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
We need three points because we're still in a race for top four.

It's embarrassing that there are posters in here who hope City smash us. They care more about Liverpool not winning the league than they do about us fighting for top four.

It's a derby against our second biggest rival FFS.

breakout67

Supports
Man City

It's embarrassing that there are posters in here who hope City smash us. They care more about Liverpool not winning the league than they do about us fighting for top four.

I used to go to Maine road as a kid, to me City was that plucky little local club trying to make it big. Looking at the empty seats on matchday, it seems not much has changed.

SapperBRed75

We might lose, but we should never want to. I'd like to see a us finish the season strong, and a derby win should be part of that. Forget the dippers - we've had two chances to impact their title race.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Pretty much. A draw benefits neither us nor City.

And you can bet that our players, when given the choice of win or lose which would be beneficial either way, would typically go on to draw, of course.
This. :(

I can live with a win and top 4 or defeat and City title, a draw is the worst of both worlds.

Cal?

CR7 fan

It’s so short sighted to think a CL place is worth Liverpool closing in on our perch.

Sir Alex took us to the promised land and we should do everything to stay there.

Heymrtangerineman

Don't care about Liverpool or City. Maybe it's because I'm not from Manchester. It's all about United for me.

NJM78

I just think we are in shocking form and will lose to both Everron and City. Where the title ends up it ends up.

More concerned with next season now and the coming transfer window.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I feel like I’m missing something with the experience that people have with fans of other clubs. I know a lot more Barcelona fans than Liverpool fans, and when we met up for our weekly kickabout on Wednesday they made a couple jokes and we laughed at how crap Young is. Is that really such a big deal?

How is it very different from hearing that from Liverpool fans that they were better than us this season and won the league? It’s not like it’s a lie. Does football banter really bother you lot that much?

Sometimes I wonder if Liverpool fans drag United fans out onto the street and murder them en masse or send the country into economic ruin or something the way that some people go on about what the Liverpool fans will do or say. Surely it can’t just be football banter that affects everyone this much?
Some people take football far too seriously, they consider it a personal insult if you crack a joke at the expense of their team.

I'd understand the worry if we weren't 2 titles ahead of the scouse. The most important thing for this football club, our manager and our players is Champions League football.

It might actually be more important to stop the arabian club cleaning up every season.

ants7

Like someone posted above, I also have the feeling that we will lose to both - Everton and City.

And no - I do not want to lose to anyone for any reason. Dippers can win their title and I can live with that. We need top 4 so we could attract best possible players in order to rise to the challenge. We need to put these teams to their place by us winning, not try to stop someone winning something by us losing. This should not be acceptable mentality related to this club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'd understand the worry if we weren't 2 titles ahead of the scouse. The most important thing for this football club, our manager and our players is Champions League football.

No it's not. That's for the like of Arsenal and Spurs. For United, it's all about winning trophies.

I'd take winning the Europa or FA trophy, then qualifying for CL with no hope of winning it.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
No it's not. That's for the like of Arsenal and Spurs. For United, it's all about winning trophies.

I'd take winning the Europa or FA trophy, then qualifying for CL with no hope of winning it.
Glad that there are some still not fooled by the spin put out by the money men. Our revenue puts the CL money to shame, but the CL money does mean nice little bonuses handed out to players and board members. 1 season out of the CL means nothing for the general direction of the club.

Paul_Scholes18

I think we will mess top 4 up at some point, but I still want us to win the rest of the games.

We should focus on ourselfes first of all and try to win our games. The rest is not in our hand anyway. Liverpool could slip up and fail to win it even if we beat City and City could fail to win it even if they beat us.

Hope for other teams to mess things up is loser mentality and that will not help us. We should focus on getting back into the title races ourselfes and that start with getting wins and improving our football!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Glad that there are some still not fooled by the spin put out by the money men. Our revenue puts the CL money to shame, but the CL money does mean nice little bonuses handed out to players and board members. 1 season out of the CL means nothing for the general direction of the club.
Qualifying for CL is just papering the crack. The players would think mission accomplished (they won't get 25% wage cut), so does the money man (more revenue). It just gives a false sense of security.

I want the club to realize that this team needs a major overhaul.

Until the Summer is over, we have no idea who is capable of winning the CL.

For the club right now, for Ole, for confidence going into next season, for feel good factor, for player pull etc etc etc, the best thing is CL football.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Qualifying for CL is just papering the crack. The players would think mission accomplished, so does the money man. It just gives a sense of false security.

Bingo, sometimes I think that 1 really bad season finishing outside the EL places would cause them to buck up their ideas or sell to an owner that will invest some of their own money instead of treating it as a cash cow. I wouldn't want it, because it would be a nightmare situation. Then again David Moyes happened and the club seemed to have learnt nothing from that debacle.

Sauldogba

Do people realize we’re in a much worse position to attract top level players in the summer without CL? I can’t see for instance Varane coming to us if we don’t have CL football to offer. Maybe Sancho too.
This is rubbish.
This myth needs to die.
Players dont generally give a damn if you are playing in the Champions League.
All they care about is how much you pay them.

SirAF

Ageist
Qualifying for CL is just papering the crack. The players would think mission accomplished (they won't get 25% wage cut), so does the money man (more revenue). It just gives a false sense of security.

Agreed.

redshaw

Yeah it does feel important.

For those not counting, if we do miss out this season on top 4, that will be since Fergie left only twice we've made top 4 in 6 years. Players look at that. How we got into our third CL was through winning Europa but we've only got top 4 twice so far and if some have their way twice in six years at the end of this season.

Moyes 7th
LVG 4th
LVG 5th
Jose 6th
Jose 2nd
Jose/Ole ?

Could be a wake up call to miss out but I feel it'll be a blow for player recruitment.

I also don't like how some want to piss away all Ole's good work, I want to finish it off as I'm sure Ole does and wants our young players to get more CL games. We were 11 points off with a crazy amount of goals conceded.

Last edited:

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Yeah it does feel important.

For those not counting, if we do miss out this season on top 4, that will be since Fergie left only twice we've made top 4 in 6 years. Players look at that. How we got into our third CL was through winning Europa but we've only got top 4 twice so far and if some have their way twice in six years at the end of this season.

Moyes 7th
LVG 4th
LVG 5th
Jose 6th
Jose 2nd
Jose/Ole ?
Players look at one thing first and foremost, and that is their bank balance. Also, Mkhi said in an interview that his favourite point at United was winning the EL, I'd say players care far more about winning trophies than taking part in the CL.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
What happens if we beat City, hand Liverpool the title and still miss out on top 4. This is likely.

C'est Moi Cantona

They'd have to be stupid to not see it, but you're right, missing out on top 4 before has heightened the urgency to improve the squad, it's just sad that we have to use this as a potential positive for not getting it.