Do we want to lose to City?

CL triumph.
Pure fantasy in my opinon, how does winning a CL achieve these political goals you speak of?
The idea that City will win a CL and the owners will lose interest is a lovely one for us United fans (and no doubt the scouse also), but considering the infrastructure they have put in place and continue to do so, it’s complete pie in the sky stuff.

lysglimt

Scout
This may have been mentioned someplace else, but people talk about Top-4 … as I understand it, Top-5 could easily be enough for United to qualify for C.L next year.

The way I see it - if the team above us win the Europa League, the team at 5th Place in The P.L will get a C.L spot. So when people talk about losing to City....keep in mind that a win or a draw against City could easily be what increases our chance of getting C.L next year, even if we are 4-5 Points behind Top-4.

The ultimate disaster, however, would be Liverpool winning the League, and the team ending 6th, win the Europa League...that would be....BAD

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Lose to City?

I’d happily get nutted square on the bridge of the nose by Vincent Kompany whilst Bernardo Silva chews my kneecaps off and Kyle Walker gives me one up the shitter if it stopped pool winning the title.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Do we want to lose to City?
We may not have a choice, here. MCFC are a level above us and will most likely beat us without too much difficulty. They honeymoon period is over now and the performances since the PSG game have been similar to that which we saw under Jose.

El Zoido

I don’t want to lose to them but I wouldn’t be too bothered if we did. They’ll probably beat us then drop points at Burnley, so it’ll all be for nothing anyway.

dave1956

Have things got that bad that we are actually discussing whether or not we would want to lose against city.

Castia

I want to beat City and finish top 4 I don’t care if Liverpool do the double, feck em.

I can’t believe people would rather see us lose and subsequently miss out on top 4 and what that brings with it (including the lore of better players). Pretty small time in all honesty.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

Have things got that bad that we are actually discussing whether or not we would want to lose against city.
Unfortunately, things have been bad, yes.
Certainly far beyond most if not everyone expected post SAF.
We’ve been an absolute non-factor in the league for 6 years now.
But hopefully a good summer will give us some direction.

I want to beat City and finish top 4 I don’t care if Liverpool do the double, feck em.

I can’t believe people would rather see us lose and subsequently miss out on top 4 and what that brings with it (including the lore of better players). Pretty small time in all honesty.
We signed Di Maria and Pogba without CL football.

BaneIsPain

This is not the first time United lose CL place. So, I'd rather us face one more defeat this season "for the greater good".
What is more important is how are we planning to cope for next season.

shaky

I dont get the desperation to be in the CL before we're actually ready to compete for it properly. When was anyone actually last excited and optimistic about a big CL tie? What good did getting pumped off Barca do for us apart from making everyone miserable? Winning breeds confidence, getting schooled by better teams does the opposite. My only concern is for a good preseason and a good transfer window, with signings who are happy and eager to be part of a long term project at Utd.

WPMUFC

"wanting to lose to city" is irrelevant. We could put our current best team out there and still get clobbered. This fantasy that we have any relevance for top 4 or deciding who'll win the PL is a sad joke on our entire club.

beergod

Whatever it takes to stop Liverpool from winning the league. If that means pulling a Slippy in the 90th minute of a drawn match, then so be it.

Sterling Archer

Lose to City?

I’d happily get nutted square on the bridge of the nose by Vincent Kompany whilst Bernardo Silva chews my kneecaps off and Kyle Walker gives me one up the shitter if it stopped pool winning the title.
@Eriku this is pretty deserving of some sort of Trumpism, no?
sad. hamberders.

Emrethis

We have to go for this win. Throwing games isn't what Manchester United is about. Who cares if Liverpool win the title? Its not worth smearing mud on our good name.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They'd have to be stupid to not see it, but you're right, missing out on top 4 before has heightened the urgency to improve the squad, it's just sad that we have to use this as a potential positive for not getting it.
Yeh. The best way to get the money men attention is to hit where it hurts them the most, revenue. They fired Moyes, LVG, and Mourinho just because United couldn't/potentially wouldn't get Top 4. That where their baseline is. Even if we play shite football, they don't care; as long as we stay floating above the Top 4 baseline.

WPMUFC

this whole thread could be mute as of today. If everton slap us around, the season is officially dead. Ole said players need a reality check, if we lose to everton i can only imagine 5-6 players will be banished for the rest of the season as a message.

Josh 76

this whole thread could be mute as of today. If everton slap us around, the season is officially dead. Ole said players need a reality check, if we lose to everton i can only imagine 5-6 players will be banished for the rest of the season as a message.
This

Suedesi

Agree. We need a win, not only to avoid defeat. Anything less than 3 points and our season is over.

Cal?

CR7 fan
We have to go for this win. Throwing games isn't what Manchester United is about. Who cares if Liverpool win the title? Its not worth smearing mud on our good name.
Looking through this thread, a significant proportion of United fans do.

Treble

The worst case scenario - helping Liverpool win the title and still missing out on top 4 is not unlikely. What a shit situation.

Ole and the players should think what is the best for the club. If CL football next season is important, and it is, imo, we shouild look after our interests.

That said, if Liverpool manage to win the title or the double, they might fly next season and it might soon become 20:20 and 3:6. That has its significance, too.

norm87cro

Nothing is more important then reminding the scum just how much we hate them. Slippy G reminded us when he sold the game to Chelsea back in 2010 making sure we don't win the title. Surley some of the CAF remember that game? And that pathetic back pass?

SirAF

Ageist
Nothing is more important then reminding the scum just how much we hate them. Slippy G reminded us when he sold the game to Chelsea back in 2010 making sure we don't win the title. Surley some of the CAF remember that game? And that pathetic back pass?
I remember.

Red_Aaron

Ive a sneaky feeling for Cardiff today, it might be pure hope mixed with desperation but I just feel they'll get something and if they do we can then happily beat city anyway :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
I do

CaptainAvengers

Europa League is the hipsters choice. CL is overrated with too much cannon fodder. Europa League you get exciting end-to-end games and the added extra of seeing local youth players develop

If that's the punishment for losing to City and stopping Liverpool ending 20+ years of hurt so be it.. it is more than worth it! let's get back to the 80s and pure hatred for anything Scouse! :keano:

Having a cheeky flutter on Cardiff to get a result today, really fancy them for some reason! something in the air, maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
As if it matters what we want.

City are going to come and tear us apart.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
You could try 100% and still lose somewhat comfortably on the strength of your recent form.