Do we want to lose to City?

Paul_Scholes18

Wanting to throw a game. Jesus.

That's a losers mentality. A winner should want to win every game.
We are no winners anymore. Not the players and certainly not most of our supporters. It feels like half our support has turned into David Moyes and the other has turned into a LVG/Mourinho clone.

Ole is going to go for the win and hopefully some of us can help him.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
They care more about their co-workers taking the piss than about United.
Either (i) you've been giving it large to them while United were winning so you kinda deserve it or (ii) your colleagues are insuffarable pricks, in case it lasts longer than a (few) day(s) imo.

Handsome Devil

If it all goes by form, we will be 2 down after 20 minutes and falling asleep before half time or taking to the matchday thread for a bit of cathartic posting, so, nothing new to see here. :(
But, No. Way. Do. I. Want. A. Potential. Scouse. Double.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
This is 100% going to be a draw. The worst possible result so therefore by far the most likely. It's the only outcome allowed by whichever gypsy curse we've been suffering under for the last several years.
Yep. Liverpool go on to win the league, we drop more points against Chelsea and ultimately finish 6th.

If these feckers decide to show some backbone tonight - after the shit they’ve served us the past month or so - I’ll be absolutely furious. What’s another loss tonight to us, in the bigger picture? They can toss off, too, if they think showing some balls tonight will restore some pride or bring the fans back onside. We’re well past that stage now.

Siorac

Just as well none of us are professional footballers.
Yet the same people who demand that we lose this game are those who scream loudest that "the players downed tools" and that they "have no passion and desire" etc when we play shite.

Paul_Scholes18

Top 4 isn't happening, even if it does we are not equipped to do anything in the CL next year.... Soooo take the 1-0 or 2-0 loss tonight.
This is such a terrible mentality. Like a small club saying we are probably not going to win the cup so let's just get knocked out in the first round.

Next season we might as well give points to Spurs and Chelsea if they are ahead of us since the odds of them stopping Liverpool is higher if we can't win the league and champions league don't matter.

Lowkey

I will hate the team and Ole if we win tonight. Handing the title to Liverpool. No thanks. I dont give a rats ass about top 4 or any principles/morales/winning mentality etc etc

I expect the team to lose and if they dont, as much as i love Ole, he will always be seen as the manager who handed Liverpool the title in my eyes. And that is something i do not wish on anyone.

Throw the game, ashley young with 2 own goals. thanks very much. F*ck Liverpool

Siorac

This is such a terrible mentality. Like a small club saying we are probably not going to win the cup so let's just get knocked out in the first round.

Next season we might as well give points to Spurs and Chelsea if they are ahead of us since the odds of them stopping Liverpool is higher if we can't win the league and champions league don't matter.
Arsenal, too. Just to be absolutely safe. And yes, we should drop out of every competition at the first opportunity so we can focus everything on the two games against Liverpool.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Yet the same people who demand that we lose this game are those who scream loudest that "the players downed tools" and that they "have no passion and desire" etc when we play shite.
Which is exactly why we don’t want these clowns deciding tonight’s the night to show some bottle after producing absolute shitshow performances against bottom-half teams for much of the season. Where was their passion then? Their fight? Their spirit? Their professionalism?

They can feck off it they think it’s acceptable to play for the shirt tonight, of all nights.

Mastoness

Why would any real Utd fan want to lose to City?

Why should we care who will win the league? We are shite but at least Liverpool wan't win the league? That is a small club mentallity.

What would it change if Liverpool don't win the league? Would it change the fact that we are horrible? That we don't have a squad and our players are mostly the gutless group of individuals? That transferwise Liverpool destroyed us and that they are miles ahead in front of us?

We are not some small club, we should care only about ourselves and the goal should be to win every game.

Wanting to lose the game just for Liverpool not to win the league iz shameful and pathetic way of thinking.

Steven-UK

It does not really matter if we 'want to', this United team struggles against average teams. City will tear us a new one tonight, right in our own home. We won't score, we have not scored a goal in open play for 4 games, and City will toy with us tonight, then give us a lollypop afterwards for allowing them to.

a123

Supports
Liverpool
What would we say if the roles were reversed and Liverpool fans were willing their own side to lose so that we didn't win the league?

Truly we'd pan the shite out of them wouldn't we?

We should go all out to win every match regardless of who we are playing.

If Liverpool win the title then they will have deserved it - just like we did and everyone else that wins it.

It's a tough one but we should not descend to the kind of bitterness that they (and City) showed to us when we were on the up.
In 1995 a Kenny Dalglish managed Blackburn came to Anfield in the last game of the season needing a win to clinch the title. Beating them would hand the title to Man United.

Yet we did beat them, but then you could only draw to West Ham and so Blackburn won the league.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
It does not really matter if we 'want to', this United team struggles against average teams. City will tear us a new one tonight, right in our own home. We won't score, we have not scored a goal in open play for 4 games, and City will toy with us tonight, then give us a lollypop afterwards for allowing them to.
Or maybe not.

Needham

What would we say if the roles were reversed and Liverpool fans were willing their own side to lose so that we didn't win the league?

Truly we'd pan the shite out of them wouldn't we?

We should go all out to win every match regardless of who we are playing.

If Liverpool win the title then they will have deserved it - just like we did and everyone else that wins it.

It's a tough one but we should not descend to the kind of bitterness that they (and City) showed to us when we were on the up.
You mean like this?

Jeffthered

No.. we want to win all our games. That should not really be a valid question people... let's aim for top four. If Pool' win, they deserve it.

We have other matters to address...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
First of all, nobody is “demanding” anything. You’re just hearing opinions from fans who would prefer their team to lose a football match, when the alternative is handing bitter rivals a league title that brings them just one short of our 20 (when passing out their 18 titles was something that many of us waited most of our adult lives for)

None of this has anything to do with the mentality of the players. So all this crap about a “losers mentality” is a complete red herring. We’re just a bunch of armchair football fans. How we feel about winning and losing tonight doesn’t matter one bit to the players on the pitch. Obviously if they’re capable of beating City tonight it will make the pathetic performance at the weekend even more infuriating with hindsight but, thankfully, there’s more or less zero chance of that happening.

Attacking Midfielder

Supports
Ajax
Why would any Man United wants to throw the Champions League away just to stop Liverpool from winning the title? I just can't understand that. Is the hate against Liverpool big enough to be back in the Europa League next season? A club of Man United's size belongs in the Champions League. I think playing Champions League will give you a better chance to get some top quality players in the summer.

Heinzesight

If it was the last game of the season and a City win would clinch them the league...then I would want us to lose.

The trouble with tonight is top four is still possible and anything could happen to Liverpool over their next three games.

Either result tonight I’m good with...please, just not a draw*

*nailed on now!

Siorac

Which is exactly why we don’t want these clowns deciding tonight’s the night to show some bottle after producing absolute shitshow performances against bottom-half teams for much of the season. Where was their passion then? Their fight? Their spirit? Their professionalism?

They can feck off it they think it’s acceptable to play for the shirt tonight, of all nights.
I'd say it's very much acceptable to play for the shirt against our city rivals when Champions League qualification is still in the balance.

Jacob

Poor Ole, he cant win. Could be the least appreciated derby win in history.

BlueHaze

If this ends up a draw which ultimately hands Livershite the title then I can bet my right arm that every single United fan will be furious. The most frightening scenario out of all is that we actually take points from City but end up losing out on 4th place anyway and Liverpool wins because of it. My stomach wouldn't be able do digest that. I'm not sure I would watch a single game next season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Arrgghh, somebody's posted that 'Open Letter to United Fans' on the Newbies Forum.

Swiss_Red89

Regardless of the result tonight Liverpool will not win the title today. So i want us to win because we still have a chance to get top four. But IF we get fifth or sixth afterwards and liverpool takes the title i will be pissed of about that win.

If we lose today i will not be too disappointed.

A draw would be absolut shit.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I agree with some posters: it's not what the Man Utd. fans want; it's about Pep's City being the clear favorites to win tonight.

Top4 will get even more difficult, but at least Liverpool will probably finish 2nd (too many draws) and trophyless after their defeat vs Barcelona.

Oyibo

Am checking out Rawk to see if they are having a field day watching us all panic like this

motsjo

I've been reading every post in this thread since the Everton game now, and just want to put in my two cents. I think I can sum up my thoughts thusly:

• I want us to lose tonight's game. A (potential) top four spot is NOT worth letting the scousers win the league. Never will be. The only time I would not sacrifice a united result for a scouse result would be if a Champions League or Premier League trophy was actually at stake. I wouldn't mind them winning one as much if we won the other. I know the outcomes of each match would have no bearing on the other match, but this is the only example (barring some extremely unlikely relegation scenario) that I can think of. Just last season for example, I would gladly give the FA cup to Chelsea if it guaranteed that Real Madrid would win the CL.
  • The way some people talk about caring about "another" team is ridiculous. They are not just another team. They are fing liverpool! If it were any other team I would assume all United fans would want to beat City.
  • What it this talk about deserving to win the league? I don't give half a crap about some deserved scouse trophy. I hope City score the winning goal 3 yards offside, 6 minutes into a 3 minute stoppage time tonight, while Richard Scudamore sits on his private island in the Bahamas donated to him by the Sheikh if that means city take the trophy from the other "deserved" winners:lol:
  • I'm from Norway, and too young (31) to have lived through the liverpool success years, but holy crap do you people not realize what will happen if they GOD FORBID do win it? The media will collapse into a singularity of praise and stories of how the kop is the soul of football, how klopp is the new SAF and how salah and mane are the inspiration of a whole continent. The inevitable interviews with riise here in Norway make me sick to think about. Furthermore, city are a nothing club. I don't know a single city fan (again, I'm from Norway, but I do understand that they are growing in many parts of the world), while the pool fans are seriously the most annoying fan base ever.
I've been going on for long now enough I think. It's fascinating how the united fan base are split in a case like tonight's game. Both sides seem to be equally adamant in their stance as well. I think we can all agree that the current situation of our club is a dire one. May Ole save us!

Siorac

First of all, nobody is “demanding” anything. You’re just hearing opinions from fans who would prefer their team to lose a football match, when the alternative is handing bitter rivals a league title that brings them just one short of our 20 (when passing out their 18 titles was something that many of us waited most of our adult lives for)

None of this has anything to do with the mentality of the players. So all this crap about a “losers mentality” is a complete red herring. We’re just a bunch of armchair football fans. How we feel about winning and losing tonight doesn’t matter one bit to the players on the pitch. Obviously if they’re capable of beating City tonight it will make the pathetic performance at the weekend even more infuriating with hindsight but, thankfully, there’s more or less zero chance of that happening.
I'm saying that those who want us to lose tonight should not ever complain about the players' mentality again. They literally want them to not give a feck.

And yes, plenty of people demand that we do not even make an effort, come on.

I expect the team to lose and if they dont, as much as i love Ole, he will always be seen as the manager who handed Liverpool the title in my eyes.
This squad is so fecking stupid that they probably nick a point tonight. Gormless arseholes.
Just field the youngsters for this one. 1-0 to City would do.
If these feckers have the gall to actually show up and hand Liverpool the title on Wednesday, my dislike for the lot of them will only multiply.
I'd be furious if we got anything out of this game after the way we got outclassed by Everton.
I may actually feel cheated that they would put in a performance against City.They'll be no different to clubs having their 'cup final' against us.Small time mentality.And this time its not going to wash with me.

Spielmacher

I'm saying that those who want us to lose tonight should not ever complain about the players' mentality again.
How are "I don't want to get battered 4-0 by Everton" and "I don't want Liverpool to win the league" comparable or mutually exclusive?

killerboi2

Nah I don't really care about the politics of who is winning the league. Neither are good for us and just makes us look small time. People who want us to lose and then would blame Ole and the team when we do lose are confused to the point where they shouldn't be watching football.

Siorac

How are "I don't want to get battered 4-0 by Everton" and "I don't want Liverpool to win the league" comparable or mutually exclusive?
"I want to lose to Manchester City because I don't care where Manchester United finish on the table" is mutually exclusive with "I want players who fight hard for Manchester United".

Bwuk

I care about Uniteds future success, than Liverpool winning the league.

We need the top 4.