Do you still harbor resentment towards the players for last season?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I do. I try my best to mentally get over it but I told myself I'd never forgive certain things last season. I can forget bad performances from players I felt probably do care but were just rubbish. The likes of Maguire, McFred and a few others. Though if I see that form continue then I'll be of the opinion that they're just not good enough.

However, the one person I have a dislike for is Rashford. I thought he was one of a few that genuinely had a shocking attitude, his PR machine was shameless, briefing the media about interest from Barca etc. then saying he's giving us another chance. He's held beyond reproach by certain pundits and supporters. I just think he's all wrong. Not to mention the stories about his personality off the pitch. Obviously I don't know the guy, but from everything I see and I've heard from people that have met him, he's completely fake.

From a lad born in Manchester, he should have been setting standards. Yet he's been the absolute worst of all. If/when Garnacho or Antony/whoever took his place, I'll be happy.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Bit weird harbouring resentment towards players for being rubbish. They had a bad year and the more they tried to put it right, the worse it got. No point hanging on to it. New manager, new ideas, see what happens.
Surely that’s a very selective assessment! You can find a lot of players who didn’t try very hard to put it right, right?

downunder red

The players from last year, I don't hate them but I'm still angry at last years efforts of most of them. Will take a while before I can truly love supporting some of them again.

R'hllor

Resentment no, do i find majority of them as bunch of leeching cnuts, yes and still think good majority of them shouldnt be near first team. Dont think my view will change as long that majority is still there, feel sorry for anyone that will forget all after few performances, last season showed their true colors when they couldnt hide anymore.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
No, but only because i actually have first hand knowledge of what went on behind the scenes and why the wheels came off as badly as they did.

Loon

:lol:
I'm looking forward to seeing last year's United side being practically non-existent in a few years once ten Hag gets settled.

ForeverRed1

Resentment is the wrong word. Lack of trust maybe. Lack of belief they are 100% good enough for sure but willing to have a open mind. I’m trusting in ETH as it’s the only hope we have.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Absolutely. These feckers downed tools. Regardless of what went on with managers etc, the humiliation we faced while playing against our rivals will never be forgotten. I hope to see most of this lot gone in the next 2 years.

These will get zero support from me if things fall apart again this season. Make or break from here on.

Belisarius

There's only a bit left and I hope it will fizzle out. I had time for plenty of the players last season who were at least putting a shift in even if their form was awful - like McTom, Maguire and Fred whose form had actually got better. It was certain players who I really couldn't stand based on their appalling attitude in games. I'm so thankful Lingard and Pogba are gone, they were the absolute worst for trying to maintain a competitive team spirit, also seemed like a big source of leaks with the whole Scholesy 'my mate JLings says its a trainwreck in the dressing room' etc.. This also seems to have been proven right after they've gone and Pogba with his 'Utd offered me nothing (£350k a week) shite'. These sorts of players can't be shown the door quick enough in my opinion and I'm delighted they're gone. I would say Rashford still has grounds to make up in the games as his attitude was beyond bad towards the end of the season.

The buck stops with the manager and I got every faith that Ten Hag just won't put up with any bs from any players and enforce standards that go across the board. In which case it is far easier to not be resentful, because you know these situations won't be allowed to fester like they were under the previous regimes.
I agree regarding Lingard, Pogba and Rashford but I include Maguire as a fourth in that group. I'm very happy Lingard and Pogba are gone. Couldn't stand either of them by the end. I also harbour enormous resentment towards Rashford's lack of effort. I'll be hoping for him to be successful as long as he wears a United shirt. But, I don't think he can ever earn my respect back. Maguire is also very deep in my dog-house. He can probably work his way out but it will take a long time.

The other player who I loved this time last summer but I ended up being very resentful of by the end of the season was Cavani. It just seemed like he picked up his pay-check but mailed in his performances. Didn't sit well with me at all.

Last edited:

alexthelion

No, but only because i actually have first hand knowledge of what went on behind the scenes and why the wheels came off as badly as they did.
Spill the beans, or is it a "I know something you don't, but I'm not going to say" post?

I do. I try my best to mentally get over it but I told myself I'd never forgive certain things last season. I can forget bad performances from players I felt probably do care but were just rubbish. The likes of Maguire, McFred and a few others. Though if I see that form continue then I'll be of the opinion that they're just not good enough.
I think that’s so harsh on Fred, who was one of very few players who performed last season under horrendous circumstances. He’s carried that on to pre-season also, something I was happy to hear the MUTV lot also repeat often on tour.
Not sure at all why he gets lumped in with McTom, he’s a decent player is Fred, follows order and works his socks off to boot.

McTominay is simply not good enough at the very top level, but he works hard, not sure I’d resent him. I’d just prefer to see him as a squad player at best, asap.
Sancho and Rashford, both got pretty fecked over by the prick Southgate, which I think seriously affected their confidence going into the season, something they would’ve gotten over in a normal season, but not a season like that one.
Delighted to see Lingard gone, and Pogba was just an unnecessary distraction.
But ultimately both managers failed the players and us fans, Ragnick gets a little slack as it appears he was on a hiding to nothing, but he was utter dogshit, in hindsight he threw too many players under the bus and a good manager just makes it work, even as an interim.
The players clearly lacked direction, they had no idea what do under Ole’s attempt at “new tactics”, and had even less of a clue under Ragnick. That’s on the managers.

So everyone gets a clean slate for me, now they have a permanent manager who knows exactly what he wants, who won’t allow them to hide, who will be on the touchline for 90mins barking orders at them.
I suspect 100% of them will be better players for it, who will be good enough? We’ll have to wait and see.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Spill the beans, or is it a "I know something you don't, but I'm not going to say" post?
I really can’t say much because I was told things in the strictest of confidence. But I will say this….I got the information, first hand, from a senior member of the previous coaching regime, and essentially all of the implosion last season boils down to two people. The first was Woodward, who is everything and more, that people suspect - not letting anyone do their jobs, controlling everything. And the second is Ronaldo. What I’ve been told about Ronaldo’s behaviour is so shocking and so toxic, that I could scarcely believe it. And again, this isn’t hearsay, this is directly from the horses mouth. Ronaldo irrevocably destroyed the dressing room to the point where it was completely dysfunctional. The only solution is for him to leave. It’s broken beyond repair. And despite the public utterances, everyone at the club, bar three senior players - one of whom will be leaving too - want him gone. He’s a scumbag of the highest proportions.

downunder red

I really can’t say much because I was told things in the strictest of confidence. But I will say this….I got the information, first hand, from a senior member of the previous coaching regime, and essentially all of the implosion last season boils down to two people. The first was Woodward, who is everything and more, that people suspect - not letting anyone do their jobs, controlling everything. And the second is Ronaldo. What I’ve been told about Ronaldo’s behaviour is so shocking and so toxic, that I could scarcely believe it. And again, this isn’t hearsay, this is directly from the horses mouth. Ronaldo irrevocably destroyed the dressing room to the point where it was completely dysfunctional. The only solution is for him to leave. It’s broken beyond repair. And despite the public utterances, everyone at the club, bar three senior players - one of whom will be leaving too - want him gone. He’s a scumbag of the highest proportions.
Had a feeling this is what happened.

The big question, if this is true, is why is he still here ???

HookedOnAPhelan

I don't doubt you've been told that, but it seems strange that this (as far as I know) hasn't made it out to the media. And if Ronaldo is so bad and toxic and largely to blame for last season, why is the club still keeping him around the team? I wouldn't want anyone like that anywhere close if I was in charge.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Lets just say many years from now I'll probably be in some old folks home, all senile and demented and yet the urgency to pee my diapers and slap mcguire will be there.

Member 101269

I'm not being funny; I'm not buying that blame for all the implosion is on Ronnie and Woodward. Players were awful at the very basic elements of being a football player, cannot run, cannot pass cannot defend. Then the players lost MG, PP etc and leaks. Smacks of blame shifting.

It's also very telling those new signings and some youth players are better than those who down tools etc etc last season. If Ronnie told them a few home truths and that is being considered toxic ETH might just struggle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lentwood

I don't see how people can keep blaming the players. I don't for one second believe they don't try. It's easy to get caught-up in the hyperbole from the likes of Neville, Keane and Souness but the bottom line is that it all comes down to poor preparation.

From a coaching perspective, last season was an unmitigated disaster and as far as I am concerned, the players were hung-out to dry

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yes. But what it means in a real world sense to me is that, if they revert to any type whatsoever, they should be fired out of a cannon, but in the meantime, they have to be given a clean slate.

To my mind, there were clear triers and they can always be accepted on a level that those who don't try cannot. It's one thing to try and just not be good enough - it's pitiful for the player and watching audience, but that player can always hold his head up and have his integrity totally intact. For such a player, the kind thing to do is sell him as his baseline is simply not good enough, but you would rather see that player out there than another who has ability, but is not arsed about applying it or even trying to graft to put things right.

It wasn't that last season was the worst for us in PL history that grates, it's how it came about and how little some applied themselves to put it right. Speaking for myself, it was the most spineless, uncharacteristic embodiment of what typical United players stand for as a collective I've seen at the club in the entirety of my years of support. You don't simply scrub that from your memory. Players like that are at least earmarked to be in last chance saloon. At other clubs, there would have been culls or mass supplanting, such was the lack of application, but our elephant in the room prevents that from happening out the gate, which, for me, was partially responsible for the indifference some showed last season - they are sat on contracts (even reduced) that nobody else in Europe will match.

Even if we finish 6th again, it better not be for the lack of trying to be more than. I'm not coming into the new season festering with pre-loaded hate, but I would say the tether I have for a lot of those players is considerably shorter now, and benefit of the doubt, they no longer have in anything like they did previously.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If what you're saying is true then the board again comes across as idiotic and that too of the highest order.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I never resented them in the first place, and I don’t hold any negative feelings towards them.
That’s weird.

Adamsk7

I don’t resent them. I understand how easy it is to underperform in a workplace where everyone is down, negative and also underperforming. If you think just because they are millionaire footballers that these real life scenarios don’t wash, think again. We’re all people.
I do, however, think that some of them are just not good enough.I also think that Ten Hag is fully capable of being the Grim Reaper here and axing the ones that are in last chance saloon. Everything from the tour suggests we’ve finally got a manager I can trust to drop/sell those that don’t fit our club. That gives me a level of relaxation about the whole situation that I maybe wouldn’t have with another manager.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Really? Who didn't try?
The difference in Rashford’s energy levels in pre-season vs. the second half of last season is so stark that I don’t know how you could consider him to have been trying hard.

Highfather_24

Struggling to imagine what exactly Ronaldo did that was so toxic. Have never heard something like that before, but who knows.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think that’s so harsh on Fred, who was one of very few players who performed last season under horrendous circumstances. He’s carried that on to pre-season also, something I was happy to hear the MUTV lot also repeat often on tour.
Not sure at all why he gets lumped in with McTom, he’s a decent player is Fred, follows order and works his socks off to boot.
It maybe is, to be honest. I think his performances do get overblown at times and I think he was set up to fail a lot the way we used him. He has drawbacks and we played into his weaknesses under Ole.

Still, when we're talking about a midfielder of the right calibre and performance levels for Manchester United, which is how I judge every player (we pay top fees and wages, so why not?) then he still comes up short. I think Fred is a system player. Perhaps under ETH he'll find a system to perform.

.Phil1968

Just on SSN that Watfords win last night was their first home win for 9 months since they battered us 4-1 which summed up last season really. A lot of players werent good enough or had simply given up. I trust Ten hag to at least up our commitment in every game which was sadly lacking in a lot of games last season.

Lyng

Alot of them downed tools, leaked to media etc. They need to prove themselves this season. This season they can't hide behind the manager not being good enough .

Long Time Red

I have never had an issue with the players.

Clearly hung out to dry by having two sub-standard coaches.

quirkey

Why bother?

New season, new hope.

At least until October, then we can hate on the board/players/coaches/manager/Mike Phelan again.

SuperiorXI

Yes of course. Last season was an absolute shuttle crash and the attitude of the players was disgraceful. It'll take more than a semi-decent pre season to turn things around, they have a lot of work to do to win back my respect.

I will still support them of course as that's my job.

Bestietom

Garnacho will be taking Rashford's position in the near future so he has to show a huge improvement on last season or he will be warming the bench or looking for a new club in 2023/24.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Absolutely. Walking around sulking while we missed an open goal for CL qualification is unforgivable.

They are very well paid and they ruined a whole season for this club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Imagine if we had sources like this during the Fergie days.

Everyone would be on trial for being 'toxic' for wishing us to win. Also funny how that senior coach didn't say anything about other players, as if they were all blameless.