Television Doctor Who

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
One thing that annoyed me a bit.

Mels grew up at the same rate as Amy, then when it comes to after that she regenerates and becomes the River we all know, all is well and good. How come she stops ageing at this point? Seriously, while she could regenerate she aged and now she can't she doesn't? It makes no sense even in a fiction story.

As others have pointed out I felt sorry for Hitler at the end there, no one likes being stuck in a cupboard.
She also said:

I think I'll try to make myself appear a bit younger as time goes on, just to freak people out. I thought it was a bit of a poor "breaking the forth wall".

phelans shorts

If I remember correctly there's not that much time spent between River's first appearance and her last (this is obviously all complicated with their intertwining timelines), only a year or so. Not that much visible aging there.
well how can she scone a fully trained archaeologist in that time? That would take say 5 years at least.

Of course there is the point that intertwining timelines make it a bit more complicated, I hadn't thought about that.

kietotheworld

well how can she scone a fully trained archaeologist in that time? That would take say 5 years at least.

Of course there is the point that intertwining timelines make it a bit more complicated, I hadn't thought about that.
Time Lords don't age at the same rate as humans, the first Doctor was several centuries old when he regenerated. Presumably their ageing stops or greatly slows at some point between the ages of about 20 and 80, since some of the Doctors must have lived for at least a century, and not looked significantly different at the end of it. This could quite easily apply to River.

redtilded121

Great episode.
My theory: The first time River meets the Doctor she will kill him, as a nice little irony.

The girl in episode is River after meeting the Doctor but the astronaut that kills the Doctor is River meeting him for the first time, in a timey-wimey time travel way.
not a bad shout that well done

Urbanned

So what did people thing?

Was OK, considering that it can be classed as a 'stand-alone' episode. Quite liked the storyline, although I'm slightly disappointed that it didn't further the overall storyline in any significant way

kietotheworld

Pretty crap, poor retread of that awful episode from season 2 with the girl who could draw things that would come to life.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Last two episodes have been disappointing.
The ending to the last episode was too obvious and quite boring.

Scrumpet

There are no words
Was the latest episode any good? I don't want to have to endure James Corden if it is shit anyway. I see the thread wasn't bumped for last week's. I really liked it, best one for a while I thought although that's because generally I don't undertand half of them any more.

Minkaro

Latest episode was decent. Bit fillery, but some nice moments. James Corden was surprisingly very good though.

Last week's episode was one of my favourites though. I just love the idea of the hotel filled with people's fears. I also thought David Walliams was good in that (although they basically just had him play himself).

rcoobc

Last weeks was very good, this was okay

Has the doctor aged 200 years since half a season ago? When did this happen, when he was chasing after Melody? He dies aged over 1000 which happens next episode, but when he died we saw the other him was around 8 or 9 hundred.

ha_rooney

Last weeks was very good, this was okay

Has the doctor aged 200 years since half a season ago? When did this happen, when he was chasing after Melody? He dies aged over 1000 which happens next episode, but when he died we saw the other him was around 8 or 9 hundred.
I was thinking the same thing, how could he have aged that much in such a short space of time? The final episode looks good but they have so much to sort out in the last episode I think it will just get even more confusing. If Amy, River etc. know he is going to die then will they stop him or do they not know?

The multiple doctors/timeline thing used by Moffat confuses me too much. I also hope the ending doesn't involve the clone we saw in an earlier episode, that would be too predictable.

Silva

He dropped off Amy and Rory home at the end of the last episode. We're supposed to assume that 200 years passed between the two episodes(or the farewell tour, as the doctor put it)

Sam

I watch Doctor Who. I like it, and have done for a good few years. But feck me, its as confusing as hell! I havent got a clue whats going on half the time!

Crustanoid

I'd like to be able to watch it from Ep 1 this season to get my head around everything but I player seems to only go from the summer break onwards

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The last few series, apart from the odd good episodes, have been a bit meh. Maybe I'm getting too old and need to be shot myself? I now just watch the doctor out of loyalty rather than anticipation. It all went wrong when the script started becoming assistant-centric...if it wasn't Rose and her family then it was Martha. Then the worst ever assistant, Katherine Tate. Now we have Amy and even a whole chance of catching up on what Corden's been up (ok he's not really an assistant but you know what I mean).

I started watching Dr Who when Tom Baker was going strong. There used to be fillers, boring ones at that too, but the theme was the story with no distractions. Maybe we need to go back to that. I don't care what Amy Pond and Rory will do next, I really don't. :(

SecondFig

The last few series, apart from the odd good episodes, have been a bit meh. Maybe I'm getting too old and need to be shot myself? I now just watch the doctor out of loyalty rather than anticipation. It all went wrong when the script started becoming assistant-centric...if it wasn't Rose and her family then it was Martha. Then the worst ever assistant, Katherine Tate. Now we have Amy and even a whole chance of catching up on what Corden's been up (ok he's not really an assistant but you know what I mean).

I started watching Dr Who when Tom Baker was going strong. There used to be fillers, boring ones at that too, but the theme was the story with no distractions. Maybe we need to go back to that. I don't care what Amy Pond and Rory will do next, I really don't. :(
For what it's worth, I infinitely preferred Tate to Martha - and I can't stand Catherine Tate normally.

That aside, I agree in as much as I think this series has become a bit too anchored in the lives of the supporting cast - but in many respects I think that's worked well, providing a different perspective on the Doctor etc.. But must admit I hope next season is a bit Doctor-driven

Crustanoid

For what it's worth, I infinitely preferred Tate to Martha - and I can't stand Catherine Tate normally.

That aside, I agree in as much as I think this series has become a bit too anchored in the lives of the supporting cast - but in many respects I think that's worked well, providing a different perspective on the Doctor etc.. But must admit I hope next season is a bit Doctor-driven
Can't disagree with any of that. I still watch old stories from the 'Classic era' and also listen to some of the excellent audio adventures by Big Finish. They have stories which revolve around companions but the story itself is the key thing (ie one companion has a history of being possessed by an omnipotent snake, which is a running theme through any stories which feature her). The New series seems to have tried to turn Doctor Who into a soap, with the sci fi element a back drop to the character stuff.

nistleloy

More Doctor Centric stories are required. I'd like a return to the 4-6 episode series that focus on one story. There's too much wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff that builds big crescendos and leave us (atleast me) even more confused. I still enjoy it though.

I'd second the Big Finish audio adventures. Really enjoying Paul McGann ones at the moment.

rcoobc

Season one(new) was amazing, far far better than people give it credit for. The whole assistant thing was horrible with Martha and whoever Katherine Tate played.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Season one(new) was amazing, far far better than people give it credit for. The whole assistant thing was horrible with Martha and whoever Katherine Tate played.
Yes, should have qualified the very first season starting with the episode called "Rose" was outstanding. Two things about that, firstly the one-season Doctor was brilliant (right up there in my top 3 doctors!).

Secondly, though Roses' family were a part of the series it didn't distract from the wonderfully brilliant Bad Wolf storyline. After that season it all started descending into family stuff and became too Torchwood (i.e. soapy). :(

Agreed with the comment above that we should have shorter but more focussed series.

Silva

Eccleston is a fantastic actor though, he's probably my favoruite doctor (But then again, he's the first doctor I ever saw and people tend to fall in love with their first). I think he made the first season of New Who what it was. He was 'The Doctor'. You could tell he was a 900 year old time lord.

TheReligion

Abusive

Agree with all of that.

The stand alone episodes are really quite good. The writers seem to have this thing in their heads that the whole series has to join up into one for some american style finale. Doctor Who has never worked like that ever. Yes, it used to have longer stories than others, but to me it seems this new Doctor Who tries to hard to be clever, shoe horning clues and cryptic messages into every single episode of a season.

The season should be a mixture of stand alone episodes and a couple of two parters, with the final episode of the season having a cliffhanger to bring you onto the next season. Simple and would let the writers have much more freedom as at the moment they seem to be tied around linking everything in with the bastard finales.

Youngie

You lot have to remember DW is aimed at a prime Saturday early evening family audience (pre X-factor muppets) but also has to cater for the more discerning sci-fi driven nerd type like myself. I think they do an excellent job of juggling the two. A more adult orientated darker themed series after 9pm would not go amiss though.(Ditch Torchwood)

(PS I also thought Corden was surprisingly good again and I usually detest the Fat F"cker!)

Urbanned

Good finale imo, although lacked drama. I'm so used to a big finish from Dr Who (think the episodes with the Master) but this time it just felt like they were wrapping it all up.

I do like that they've left the storyline running into the next series. What was it that the Dr whispered to River, when he said it was his name?

Silva

Good finale imo, although lacked drama. I'm so used to a big finish from Dr Who (think the episodes with the Master) but this time it just felt like they were wrapping it all up.

I do like that they've left the storyline running into the next series. What was it that the Dr whispered to River, when he said it was his name?
It was a good finale indeed. I thought there was just enough drama for a sci-fi!

The doctor whispered "look into my eye" (which revealed that's he's a miniture man in a robot).

The end of it was suffieciently big for me, especially now that it's all set up for a big battle between the doctor and the silence.

Urbanned

It was a good finale indeed. I thought there was just enough drama for a sci-fi!

The doctor whispered "look into my eye" (which revealed that's he's a miniture man in a robot).

The end of it was suffieciently big for me, especially now that it's all set up for a big battle between the doctor and the silence.
Ah right ok, thanks. I remember that bit now.

I just felt a little... underwhelmed by it. Maybe I've just grown to be spoiled from all the big endings other series have had, but it just didn't fill me with the same excitement, I guess.

Although the twist at the end got me! I knew there would be one but didn't think it would be that

ha_rooney

Disappointing finale imo.

What happens with the Silence now; the question still has to be asked and when it is does he still die?

The ending was too convenient, the clone/fake robot doctor angle was predictable and I'm not sure what they're planning on doing with River as this should be the last time we see her (unless I'm mistaken).

I was hoping they would finally kill Rory, but not to happen :(

Silva

Disappointing finale imo.

What happens with the Silence now; the question still has to be asked and when it is does he still die?

The ending was too convenient, the clone/fake robot doctor angle was predictable and I'm not sure what they're planning on doing with River as this should be the last time we see her (unless I'm mistaken).

I was hoping they would finally kill Rory, but not to happen :(
Now the Doctor and the Silence can have a proper fight!

No, the Doctor wont die. This is Doctor Who for fecks sake.

There was never any reason for this to be Rivers final outing (it can be if Moffat doesn't write any more scripts with her in them but that's besides the point)

And of course the ending was 'Too convinient' personally I thought he was going to be another 'flesh' Doctor but there really wasn't any other way for the doctor too survive, at the very least not something that would have only taken a couple of minutes of screen time.

Personally I think it was great and I can't want for the question "Doctor who?"

ha_rooney

Now the Doctor and the Silence can have a proper fight!

No, the Doctor wont die. This is Doctor Who for fecks sake.

There was never any reason for this to be Rivers final outing (it can be if Moffat doesn't write any more scripts with her in them but that's besides the point)

And of course the ending was 'Too convinient' personally I thought he was going to be another 'flesh' Doctor but there really wasn't any other way for the doctor too survive, at the very least not something that would have only taken a couple of minutes of screen time.

Personally I think it was great and I can't want for the question "Doctor who?"
I don't understand her timeline but surely this was meant to be the last time we see her as has been mentioned in this season? I think River's future is now the Doctor's past and all her adventures should be what we have already seen until the point in the library where she 'dies'? That said, I prefer River as a companion to the Doctor than Amy.

I agree the Doctor was going to survive but I would have liked something more elaborate to have happened. This season was disappointing in my opinion, for the brilliance of the first 2 episodes the ending felt too quick and rushed and I thought the same about last season's finale as well.

Silva

I don't understand her timeline but surely this was meant to be the last time we see her as has been mentioned in this season? I think River's future is now the Doctor's past and all her adventures should be what we have already seen until the point in the library where she 'dies'? That said, I prefer River as a companion to the Doctor than Amy.

I agree the Doctor was going to survive but I would have liked something more elaborate to have happened. This season was disappointing in my opinion, for the brilliance of the first 2 episodes the ending felt too quick and rushed and I thought the same about last season's finale as well.
Don't forget, she meets the Doctor in a timey-wimey kind of way. So it doesn't really matter wheather or not she appears in any more episodes. There is a certain closure in her 'timeline' as we now who who she is and why she's in prison however I'd bet my house on her appearing when the Doctor has his big battle with the silence.

I do agree that the finale wasn't as Grand as Doctor who should be. It was clever but there no obvious big weapon that's on the verge of blowing up the planet! It wasn't normal Doctor Who basically. But personally I prefer it this way, the whole Doctor saving the planet every other episode was getting a bit boring! The Doctor saving himself on the other hand is a lot more interesting for me.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Did The Silence control time? Otherwise, 'killing' a fake doctor surely wouldnt have worked?

Silva

Did The Silence control time? Otherwise, 'killing' a fake doctor surely wouldnt have worked?
No. Time was ruined because River stopped a fixed point in time. As far as the silence (and the rest of the universe) is concenred the Doctor is dead.

The only real loophole in the story is why river is still in prison when the authorities know she didn't really kill the doctor.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
No. Time was ruined because River stopped a fixed point in time. As far as the silence (and the rest of the universe) is concenred the Doctor is dead.

The only real loophole in the story is why river is still in prison when the authorities know she didn't really kill the doctor.
Pretending to be killed seemed a bit of an easy solution.

Silva

Pretending to be killed seemed a bit of an easy solution.
I completely agree, but Moffat was always going to take the easy way out, there wasn't enough screentime for anything else to happen! I actually thought it'd be a flesh Doctor that died and they would say "technically he did die" so for me it was pleasant lazy writing.

Crustanoid

I completely agree, but Moffat was always going to take the easy way out, there wasn't enough screentime for anything else to happen! I actually thought it'd be a flesh Doctor that died and they would say "technically he did die" so for me it was pleasant lazy writing.
I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for internet forums, this would have caught out more people. I only wasn't surprised because I'd read it here and elsewhere! My kids were genuinely blown away.

Hal9000

It's all confusing time travel stuff. How ever the way i understand it, is the tesselector crew in Lets Kill Hitler, was an earlier version of themselves. Who had no idea that they would eventually help The Doctor fake his own death. The tesselector crew from the future would of been, at the time, the only ones to who knew he was going to fake his death and part of the favour was to keep quiet about it. The Doctor letting this happen because he knows River can handle being imprisoned (as shown in previous episodes where she can break in and out at will). This was addressed was when Dorium asked at end something like "so your going to let River song be punished for killing you" to which he said something along the lines of "well it is River"