Television Doctor Who

hobbers

The show has been a train wreck since Tennant, best pretending the doctor died with him.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Just caught up on it and I still have absolutely no clue what’s going on but it held my interest at least. Why is this doctor always so passive? The way she let that soldier talk to her, the resolution to the cliff hanger which she had nothing to do with, this cliff hanger where she’s just passively doing nothing despite knowingly walking into a trap - it’s just shite. Chibnal’s characterisation of the Doctor is so infuriatingly bizarre - he’s made the first female doctor come across as this weak character that things happen around never in control or having a clue what is going on - I really think RTD needs to cast another female doctor just to correct that alone.

Trequarista10

I take it back. This episode was even more nonsensical than the first episode. I kind of want to rewatch it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make things any clearer.
Episode 3 and my opinion has done another full 180.

That was bloody brilliant.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
The show has been a train wreck since Tennant, best pretending the doctor died with him.
I think Matt Smith did a very good job too - albeit maybe not as strong as Tennant, but I still really enjoyed his work and his storylines.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
So that episode made sense, had a good plot, the doctor showed agency at times (still nowhere near the level of her predecessors but baby steps), there wasn’t really any majorly cringe dialogue and it actually felt like an episode of doctor who…What the feck happened Chibnall!? :lol:

lilcurt

Me too. Quirky but capable of more subtlety than Tennant.
Both Tennant and Smith were great. I tend to agree Smith played the role slightly better but Tennant had the better arc for sure.

I must admit I haven't properly watched the series for awhile but what I have seen just appears to be typical BBC virtue signalling over developing an intriguing sci-fi narrative.

Smores

So that episode made sense, had a good plot, the doctor showed agency at times (still nowhere near the level of her predecessors but baby steps), there wasn’t really any majorly cringe dialogue and it actually felt like an episode of doctor who…What the feck happened Chibnall!? :lol:
Yeah was actually decent for once, a major shift in quality. I think getting rid of the other two sidekicks has helped, imagine Ryans monotone bland dialog throughout that and it's definitely ruined.

choccy77

It was probably the episode he didn't actually write

Mickeza

still gets no respect
To say the latest episode was a steaming hot mess of exposition and numerous plot lines every minute that make zero fecking sense if you think about them for more than 5 seconds would be kind. Paint you can see from space that lasts 100 fecking years? Sweet fecking Jesus Chibnall. The current show is a total mess and to top it off he’s managed to completely shit on 58 years of history to make everything that happened before a mess too. There is no element of Doctor Who he hasn’t shat on. Yes, he has lots of ideas but dear God his writing of them makes me want to turn to a life of crime.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
To say the latest episode was a steaming hot mess of exposition and numerous plot lines every minute that make zero fecking sense if you think about them for more than 5 seconds would be kind. Paint you can see from space that lasts 100 fecking years? Sweet fecking Jesus Chibnall. The current show is a total mess and to top it off he’s managed to completely shit on 58 years of history to make everything that happened before a mess too. There is no element of Doctor Who he hasn’t shat on. Yes, he has lots of ideas but dear God his writing of them makes me want to turn to a life of crime.
You didn't like it?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I hate like it. If that’s a thing :lol:
Although I didn't hate it, it is getting embarrassing how he's undressing the long held mysteries of Gallifrey and the Timeless Child with nothing but scissors and a salad tong.

And you never go full out-of-the-universe unless you have a banging solid idea. That mess was far from it. The next set of writers will need to do some serious rewrites to 'erase' this timeline from ever happening. Like it was some sort of Bobby Ewing dream.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Although I didn't hate it, it is getting embarrassing how he's undressing the long held mysteries of Gallifrey and the Timeless Child with nothing but scissors and a salad tong.

And you never go full out-of-the-universe unless you have a banging solid idea. That mess was far from it. The next set of writers will need to do some serious rewrites to 'erase' this timeline from ever happening. Like it was some sort of Bobby Ewing dream.
I suspect he’s going to reboot the universe himself. Not before the blindingly obvious revelation of who Bel is makes me burn down my television. The idea the doctor has many secret lives unknown to them and worked for some evil group isn’t necessarily a bad one. It opens up lots of potential plot points and the show does need a refresh - the master or Daleks can only be the big bad so many times. However, the timeless child stuff is a huge misstep. It completely changes the Doctor into an immortal messiah and pisses on everything that came before - not least the sodding who part of the show - and I don’t see what purpose it serves other than ruining a lot of emo Tennant memes bleating on about him being the last of the time lords :lol:

choccy77

I really do not like this season at all, not that last season was any better...but this is just a big steaming mess.

Last edited:

roseguy64

So they didn't really explain the undoing of the Flux there...Unless I missed it. Because Daleks in the New Years Special?

choccy77

So they didn't really explain the undoing of the Flux there...Unless I missed it. Because Daleks in the New Years Special?
Exactly, the whole universe was destroyed apart from earth, yet everything is back to normal :wenger:

lsd

The Oracle
Am I right thinking Chibnall has the next two specials as well?

choccy77

They need to find a way to start making Dr Who more storyline based and serious.

BBC may want to target to kids, but trust me, collectors are where the monies at and a slightly darker tone wouldn't hurt.

choccy77

Screen Rant article on Doctor Who's recent series.

Hidden for spoiler reasons.

Why Doctor Who: Flux Allowed Jodie Whittaker's Doctor To Commit Genocide
Doctor Who: Flux episode 6 featured a shocking twist in which the Doctor committed triple genocide - but there's a reason Chris Chibnall slipped up.

Doctor Who: Flux episode 6 saw the Doctor commit an uncharacteristic triple act of genocide - and here's why the show made that mistake. Doctor Who showrunner Chris Chibnall's tenure has been remarkably controversial, in large part because of his ambition - his desire to rewrite the show's history and lore with his now-infamous Timeless Child retcon. But, in the end, the most shocking twist in Doctor Who: Flux was nothing to do with the Timeless Child - it was a single decision reached by the Doctor in episode 6.

The Sontarans had planned to extinguish the final Flux event by tricking the Dalek and Cyberman fleets into being swallowed up by it - committing two acts of genocide. The Doctor chose not only to run with their plan, but rather to go one better - and arrange for the Flux to consume the Sontarans as well, turning a double genocide into a triple one. It was an act worse than any conducted by the War Doctor, not least because she showed absolutely no sign of regret for it. But why would Doctor Who's showrunner make this kind of mistake?

Ironically, a recently-released official breakdown of Doctor Who: Flux has unwittingly explained just how this happened. The breakdown runs for almost 16 minutes, with Chibnall himself and star Jodie Whittaker outlining the main plot, and the most striking thing is what they don't mention. Their focus is on what Chibnall clearly considers the A-plot, the Doctor's attempt to regain her forgotten Timeless Child memories, and her confrontation with the Division. They completely ignore the various sub-plots, including the Sontarans and their master plan. This explains the genocide mistake - because Chibnall's attention wasn't on the Sontaran arc. He took his eye off the ball and messed up badly as a result.

In Chibnall's defense, he was working on Doctor Who: Flux in the middle of a pandemic, which forced Chibnall to change the show's format dramatically. "At the beginning, we weren't even sure we could make a series under COVID restrictions," he admitted in an interview with Doctor Who Magazine. "Doctor Who is one of the most difficult shows to produce, and we were aware that [the pandemic] would make it even more difficult. We've tried to keep pushing the show every year, and we didn't want to let the ambition of the show down. But to continue with the previous number of episodes was financially, logistically, and operationally impossible." The episode count was reduced dramatically, and it's notable that - unusually - Chibnall wrote, or co-wrote, all the episodes himself. The pressure will have been massive, and mistakes are understandable.

It may be understandable, but unfortunately in this case it's inexcusable. The Doctor's triple genocide betrays the show's history; although this isn't the first time a script has seen the Doctor do something out-of-character, there's never been such a dramatic example. It doesn't help that Chibnall seems unaware of the magnitude of his mistake, given the fact he's bringing the Daleks back in the Doctor Who Holiday Special - suggesting he didn't even realize he'd committed a triple genocide in the first place. That, more than anything else, demonstrates just how badly Chibnall took his eye off the ball with Doctor Who: Flux's Sontaran plot.

Robertd0803

The ending of the 3rd or 4th episode where
The Doctor was turned in to a Weeping Angel
was a brilliant moment.

Never mind it was waved away fairly easily in the next episode it was still cool.

Jodie deserved better nonsense than shes been given I feel.

choccy77

That episode would have been great had it ended pre Title Sequence.

Best 5 minutes ever in new Who under that clown Chibnall

Fingeredmouse

So, they were aware of the attempted double (triple?) genocide at the end of the flux malarkey then and it wasn't an oversight?

Still, better than the significant majority of episodes under Chinball.

Re: Teaser Trailer: about time we saw those guys back. Let's hope it's better than the last time they returned.

choccy77

So, they were aware of the attempted double (triple?) genocide at the end of the flux malarkey then and it wasn't an oversight?

Still, better than the significant majority of episodes under Chinball.

Re: Teaser Trailer: about time we saw those guys back. Let's hope it's better than the last time they returned.
It is more likely, Chinball wrote this after having realised his mistake.

lsd

The Oracle
A lot of talk about Hugh Grant taking over the role.

I think he would do a good job he is a very good actor and can do light and serious.

Also wouldn't mind River Song coming back for a few episodes either if he gets the part