Television Doctor Who

lsd

The Oracle
Was hoping someone watched the show and knew what he is like as an actor.

Still I trust Davies and an really excited to see what this will be like after giving up on the show under Chibnall.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
He’s absolutely brilliant in Sex Education. The best thing in it, in my opinion (Maeve aside.. :drool:).

I think he’ll be a great doctor.

roseguy64

Yeah he's amazing in Sex Education. One of the main cast and also one of the shining lights from it. They're all good in it so him standing out means he's on it.

Smores

Another stupid diversity hire, too many Scottish actors.

From what i've seen of sex education, which isn't a lot, i think he has enough personality to do well.

Hope so anyway as another bad version of Dr Who and think I'll be done with it.

Gandalf

My knee jerk reaction is to be disappointed but then I am an old git who has been watching since the 70's. I would prefer an older actor, I wasn't that high on Peter Davison all those years ago and Matt Smith is my least favourite Doctor of the modern era but the truth is they are not making the show for cantankerous old sods like me. The show is in a pretty precipitous decline with the frankly abysmal ratings for the last episode which in itself was an atrocious 45 minutes of appalling writing that appeared to have been directed by a 5 year old. This new guy is by all accounts very popular with the younger demographic which the show has lost in droves since Smith left and so hopefully his name will bring a ton of new viewers to the show and we can at least be confident that with RTD running the show we will get scripts that make sense, believable dialogue and a return to something approaching competent filmmaking.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Can't wait for the faux outrage from goons online who's never even watched Dr who :drool:

AaronRedDevil

Guess I’ll wait a little longer then. I just know this is going to be as bad as the the female doctor.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Never had a problem with the female Doctor she could and should have been very good. The problem was the scripts - absolutely dire and jammed with woke nonsense.

She really could have made it work she's talented.

phelans shorts

Yeah he's amazing in Sex Education. One of the main cast and also one of the shining lights from it. They're all good in it so him standing out means he's on it.
Yeah this was pretty much my exact thoughts (I’d also recommend Sex Education to everyone saying they haven’t seen it, very good show). Quite looking forward to seeing how he does.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My knee jerk reaction is to be disappointed but then I am an old git who has been watching since the 70's. I would prefer an older actor, I wasn't that high on Peter Davison all those years ago and Matt Smith is my least favourite Doctor of the modern era but the truth is they are not making the show for cantankerous old sods like me. The show is in a pretty precipitous decline with the frankly abysmal ratings for the last episode which in itself was an atrocious 45 minutes of appalling writing that appeared to have been directed by a 5 year old. This new guy is by all accounts very popular with the younger demographic which the show has lost in droves since Smith left and so hopefully his name will bring a ton of new viewers to the show and we can at least be confident that with RTD running the show we will get scripts that make sense, believable dialogue and a return to something approaching competent filmmaking.
Yep. I'd never heard of him before as I ain't one of the kids but he has over 2.5m followers on instagram, so he obviously brings some excitement and followers with him which is a plus. If the show is to survive it needs to keep a younger audience on board.

Bwuk

I went to school with him. He was in my year.

Utter prick. Liar and a horrible person. Granted this was a while ago now but no-one I know has anything good to say about him.

Gandalf

I think the female doctor is great. The writing was horrific.
Got to agree with this. I had no issues with the casting for the Doctor or her companions but Chris Chibnall has been a train wreck as showrunner and besides his dreadful writing and inability to complete a thought he seems to have hired a lot of equally incompetent people in other areas. It is a relief that not only is RTD going to be running the show again but the production partners, Bad Wolf, are effectively the production crew he was with at BBC Wales in 2005 that brought the show back and he has also reversed the dreadful Chibnall era decision to replace the effects team that worked on the show throughout the RTD and Moffat eras. Would be good to see some competent directors and writers return too.

lsd

The Oracle
Do you think him being black is going to impact the storylines?

He will be annoyed he's not ginger.

Honestly I guess it will have to affect some of the more historical episodes but so long as it's done well who cares?

lsd

The Oracle

Utter prick. Liar and a horrible person. Granted this was a while ago now but no-one I know has anything good to say about him.

Really?

choccy77

Do you think him being black is going to impact the storylines?
He isn't the first black Doctor now, so not relavent at all and can't see how it makes a difference.

The writing is what matters and how strong they make him, I wish they would do long arch stories rather than 45 minute baddie of the week and let the stories breath

Bwuk

Good in Sex Education. Guess a good actor who’s a dick (if he is) beats a nice person who can’t act?
Theres no if. The school was in a rough area, and I remember him mocking some of the kids for not having £££. I’m not going to go into it, it was a long time ago.

All the best to him.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

What's otis like in school?

decorativeed

This is similar to my take on it.

I wasn't born when John Pertwee played the Doctor, but he's one of the last I care for. I've tried since, and with every new actor cast, I think to myself that it's going to be the start of me being able to enjoy it like my wife does, but I inevitably find it completely unwatchable. Whoever is in the role is just another vehicle for awful writing and amateurish directing.

Reiver

Dunfermline or Boroughmuir? I suppose I would say people can change? Not that it really matters to be a good Doctor.
He's great in Sex Education and I think he could be great in the role. Rewatched all New Who recently, the RTD era is easily the best so I have confidence in him.

Fingeredmouse

This is similar to my take on it.

I wasn't born when John Pertwee played the Doctor, but he's one of the last I care for. I've tried since, and with every new actor cast, I think to myself that it's going to be the start of me being able to enjoy it like my wife does, but I inevitably find it completely unwatchable. Whoever is in the role is just another vehicle for awful writing and amateurish directing.
If you haven't like any Who since 1974, I reckon the actor playing the Doctor is unlikely to be enough to get you liking the show.

Fingeredmouse

He isn't the first black Doctor now, so not relavent at all and can't see how it makes a difference.

The writing is what matters and how strong they make him, I wish they would do long arch stories rather than 45 minute baddie of the week and let the stories breath
The writing is indeed what matters and Chibnall is gone and RTD is back so it'll certainly improve greatly.

decorativeed

If you haven't like any Who since 1974, I reckon the actor playing the Doctor is unlikely to be enough to get you liking the show.
I think I like the idea and the potential of what it could be rather than the actuality of what it is - which is normally a pile of badly written nonsense with terrible production values!

lsd

The Oracle
The writing is indeed what matters and Chibnall is gone and RTD is back so it'll certainly improve greatly.

Do you think he will throw out everything Chibnall did mostly the be whole Timeless child thing?

Fingeredmouse

I think I like the idea and the potential of what it could be rather than the actuality of what it is - which is normally a pile of badly written nonsense with terrible production values!
That's part of the fun! It's highly variable in terms of quality. I get why that isn't everyone's bag

The writing in the new series pre-Chibnall's disaster was often good, consistently decent and occasionally brilliant and there's plenty of great stories (and a lot of shit) post Pertwee in the original run, including old Tom's golden period to my mind.

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"

I met him at a grocery store in Huddersfield once. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off.

When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.