Television Doctor Who

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It really is a reinvention which was very much needed. Fairly average and predictable story but I thought they were both very good and it was enjoyable. I found myself smiling quite a bit at Ruby’s complete wonder and I’m a total grump normally! I’d put it on par with the Star Beast I think.

I’d be pretty surprised if Mrs Flood is anyone we’ve seen from the modern era as I think this is intended to be a soft reboot free from that baggage.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not watched it yet but those talking about Ncuti's accent; are they very different accents or are they just slight changes? Going from being brought up in Edinburgh, to Dunfermline, then Glasgow, before settling down south might have something to do with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not watched it yet but those talking about Ncuti's accent; are they very different accents or are they just slight changes? Going from being brought up in Edinburgh, to Dunfermline, then Glasgow, before settling down south might have something to do with it.
His accent is many things. Scottish is not one of them. Not to my uncultured ear anyway. It’s just all over the place.

Trequarista10

It would make more sense for him to have no accent. The way it leaps around from one accent to another is, at best, distracting. I’d love to know what accent he is supposed to be doing. They surely can’t have asked him to be this all over the place?
I assumed that its just the actor's own accent/changing accent. Only seen snippets of him talking in interviews though so I may be wrong.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ncuti accent is not that weird for an immigrant to Scotland or even those that move between Scotland or England through their child and adulthood. I agree that it definitely suits a time lord though who is fluid and fluctuates through time and life.

Dobba

Fun standalone episode that pretty much hit all the same reintroduction notes as Tennant's first episode.

Millie Gibson though, Cantona wept. Her in that mod clobber might just about make the Beatles episode worth watching.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
His accent is many things. Scottish is not one of them. Not to my uncultured ear anyway. It’s just all over the place.
I'm sure if you heard him say something that many people who live in Dunfermline say daily, for example "No, I'm sorry but I do not want to have sex with your goats, and please stop asking me to put on your gran's dress" then I guarantee he would sound like a full on Fifer.

Then you've got Edinburgh, where you're either a junkie who doesn't converse in words or you're a posh vegan health food shop owner, or you're English, so that's a hell of a lot less harsh than the Fife "fuken bairns smashed ma fuken windaes in agen and took a shite in ma plant pots" accent.

Top it all off with Glasgow, even as a visiting student, which probably makes you wish you never spoke in the first place with how it steals your ability to say the letters T and R correctly, and you've got a lovely cheese board of words that'll cling on to at least one of those accents at random like yer maw clings oan tae the root of ma tube.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm sure if you heard him say something that many people who live in Dunfermline say daily, for example "No, I'm sorry but I do not want to have sex with your goats, and please stop asking me to put on your gran's dress" then I guarantee he would sound like a full on Fifer.

Then you've got Edinburgh, where you're either a junkie who doesn't converse in words or you're a posh vegan health food shop owner, or you're English, so that's a hell of a lot less harsh than the Fife "fuken bairns smashed ma fuken windaes in agen and took a shite in ma plant pots" accent.

Top it all off with Glasgow, even as a visiting student, which probably makes you wish you never spoke in the first place with how it steals your ability to say the letters T and R correctly, and you've got a lovely cheese board of words that'll cling on to at least one of those accents at random like yer maw clings oan tae the root of ma tube.
:lol:

My only exposure to a Scottish accent is Limmy and and an old friend from Edinburgh. I have no other context.

lsd

The Oracle
It really is a reinvention which was very much needed. Fairly average and predictable story but I thought they were both very good and it was enjoyable. I found myself smiling quite a bit at Ruby’s complete wonder and I’m a total grump normally! I’d put it on par with the Star Beast I think.

I’d be pretty surprised if Mrs Flood is anyone we’ve seen from the modern era as I think this is intended to be a soft reboot free from that baggage.

I'm thinking Melody Pond or River Song going by the name

pauldyson1uk

How sad are some people?

“The BBC received more than 100 complaints from Doctor Who viewers who argued that the inclusion of Yasmin Finney‘s transgender character Rose was ‘inappropriate.'”

“The corporation has revealed it had 144 messages from disgruntled viewers in its fortnightly report on audience complaints. Some said Heartstopper star Finney’s character was “anti-male,” while others said it was an ‘inappropriate inclusion of [a] transgender character.'”

lsd

The Oracle
How sad are some people?

“The BBC received more than 100 complaints from Doctor Who viewers who argued that the inclusion of Yasmin Finney‘s transgender character Rose was ‘inappropriate.'”

“The corporation has revealed it had 144 messages from disgruntled viewers in its fortnightly report on audience complaints. Some said Heartstopper star Finney’s character was “anti-male,” while others said it was an ‘inappropriate inclusion of [a] transgender character.'”
Anti-male? How do they justify that line of thinking?

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Anti-male? How do they justify that line of thinking?
  • The Doctor: We've still got to fix you two, because the metacrisis might have slowed down, but that thing is wrapped around your cortex.
  • Donna Noble: Yes, we know.
  • Rose Noble: We know everything. Thanks.
  • Donna Noble: And you know nothing. It's a shame you're not a woman any more, cos she'd have understood.
  • Rose Noble: We've got all that power - but there is a way to get rid of it. Something a male-presenting Time Lord will never understand.
  • Donna Noble: Just let it go.
  • Rose Noble: And we choose to let it go.
I havent watched the episode, but Im going to guess its this little exchange that did it. Maybe theres some context, but comes across about as bigoted as anything else Ive ever seen or read that placed an entire group of people into the bin based on skin colour, race or sex.

Fingeredmouse

I havent watched the episode, but Im going to guess its this little exchange that did it. Maybe theres some context, but comes across about as bigoted as anything else Ive ever seen or read that placed an entire group of people into the bin based on skin colour, race or sex.
That's quite the claim there Norm.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We need that "corporate want you to find the difference between this picture and this picture" meme right now.

Fingeredmouse

Because you described an excerpt of dialogue from an episode you declare not to have watched and concede that you have no context for as "about as bigoted as anything else Ive ever seen or read that placed an entire group of people into the bin based on skin colour, race or sex.". That's a pretty extreme statement to make, to put it mildly, even if you had seen the episode and understood any of the context, which you haven't and don't.

Norman Brownbutter

Because you described an excerpt of dialogue from an episode you declare not to have watched and concede that you have no context for as "about as bigoted as anything else Ive ever seen or read that placed an entire group of people into the bin based on skin colour, race or sex.". That's a pretty extreme statement to make, to put it mildly, even if you had seen the episode and understood any of the context, which you haven't and don't.
Yes, that's how words work. And when you claim a group of people won't understand something because they are that group, that's bigotry plain and simple. We've all seen this same language before, but it's ok because it's men? Is that really where we are? Because for me, I dont like this idea that it's ok to shit on a group of people just because enough people say it's ok. And then start making bullshit excuses why it's ok. Bigotry in any form, on any target is not ok.

Fingeredmouse

Yes, that's how words work. And when you claim a group of people won't understand something because they are that group, that's bigotry plain and simple. We've all seen this same language before, but it's ok because it's men? Is that really where we are? Because for me, I dont like this idea that it's ok to shit on a group of people just because enough people say it's ok. And then start making bullshit excuses why it's ok. Bigotry in any form, on any target is not ok.
I see. And, despite having not seen the episode, nor understanding the context, you're confident that the excerpt you quoted not only displays such bigotry but that it as "bigoted as anything else (you've) ever seen or read"?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So Donna Noble, a character who famously has a history of shit talking this particular Doctor (Tennant), and her daughter Rose who had absorbed her mum's DoctorDonna persona (which she has to let go of, hence the dialogue) - a persona that is equally shit talking towards Tennant in particular - and them saying something to rile up the Doctor, is the same as going up to a woman and saying "get back in the kitchen and pop out another child for me" or "you've got a cock so I'm going to keep dead naming you", and an array of nastier and disgusting things.

That might seem a bit wordy up there but it helps to have context before making up batshit rants, doesn't it?

Norman Brownbutter

So Donna Noble, a character who famously has a history of shit talking this particular Doctor (Tennant), and her daughter Rose who had absorbed her mum's DoctorDonna persona (which she has to let go of, hence the dialogue) - a persona that is equally shit talking towards Tennant in particular - and them saying something to rile up the Doctor, is the same as going up to a woman and saying "get back in the kitchen and pop out another child for me" or "you've got a cock so I'm going to keep dead naming you", and an array of nastier and disgusting things.

That might seem a bit wordy up there but it helps to have context before making up batshit rants, doesn't it?
And the excuses begin. It's ok because... heard it all before. And now it's a rant as well, reframing what's being said to dismiss and discredit. Again, seen it all before. The people who called me a fag when out with my boyfriends, chatting shit now about men in general because the climate allows it. I've been on the end of this shit my whole life. Just the names have changed.

I know what bigotry is. I know what it feels like to be on the end of it. I know what's it's like to have someone walk up and punch me the fecking face just because I was kissing another man. This is the fecking same, and I'm sick of watching all you insufferable cnuts acting like this is just anti woke alt right whatever the feck dog shit you all repackage it as so you can play the good guys in the dumb as feck culture wars.

That's a fecking batshit rant looks like, cnuty chops. Just so you know for next time when you try be a dismissive prick to someone you disagree with. ;)

Norman Brownbutter

I see. And, despite having not seen the episode, nor understanding the context, you're confident that the excerpt you quoted not only displays such bigotry but that it as "bigoted as anything else (you've) ever seen or read"?
I've never read mein kempf page to page either. Am I not allowed an opinion on that either? Pretty silly argument you're trying to push here. Those are bigoted statements, and so far the only thing you've done is talk about me, and not the context of the statement. Always funny how the conversion becomes about the person, and not the topic. Almost like there is no excuse for this, and attacking me personally is the only defensive there is...

Norman Brownbutter

Just shut up and agree. That the lesson here. fecking echo chamber bullshit. feck conversation, feck sharing ideas and opinions. Just play the game of culture war crap and be a fanny about it. Brilliant.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Tbf when I watched that episode and saw that bit of dialogue it just seemed like a cheap shot at a joke towards men which was a bit weird when they did so well throughout the episode in showcasing strong characters of different backgrounds. Not enough to complain about it formally but it wasn't exactly necessary for show to have either.

Trequarista10

And the excuses begin. It's ok because... heard it all before. And now it's a rant as well, reframing what's being said to dismiss and discredit. Again, seen it all before. The people who called me a fag when out with my boyfriends, chatting shit now about men in general because the climate allows it. I've been on the end of this shit my whole life. Just the names have changed.

I know what bigotry is. I know what it feels like to be on the end of it. I know what's it's like to have someone walk up and punch me the fecking face just because I was kissing another man. This is the fecking same, and I'm sick of watching all you insufferable cnuts acting like this is just anti woke alt right whatever the feck dog shit you all repackage it as so you can play the good guys in the dumb as feck culture wars.

That's a fecking batshit rant looks like, cnuty chops. Just so you know for next time when you try be a dismissive prick to someone you disagree with. ;)
I get where you're coming from but I don't think this particular scenario is worth getting riled up about

Yes, you are correct that it's technically a sexist comment. But it's also a light hearted joke in a light hearted show. It's just a riff on old fashioned gender stereotypes. Yes theres a double standard, and yes highighting it will prompt unfair negative responses. But ultimately, its a very minor example of a much broader, nuanced topic that society has only relatively recently started to explore and discuss. The boundaries are still being tested and redefined, the correct path is still being forged, people with good intentions are making mistakes. Over time it will better. Just as we look at shows from 20 to 30 years ago now, and there are references or attitudes that would be frowned upon today, it'll be the same in 20 years time about shows today. Shows are a product of the environment in which they are produced.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Tbf when I watched that episode and saw that bit of dialogue it just seemed like a cheap shot at a joke towards men which was a bit weird when they did so well throughout the episode in showcasing strong characters of different backgrounds. Not enough to complain about it formally but it wasn't exactly necessary for show to have either.
It was poor writing and really heavy handed.

But… y’know, I was born in the 80’s and this is a show aimed at children and fun young adults. People complaining about a little heavy handed representation across a few lines of dialogue… are not either of those things.

The three episode Tenant reboot was a lot of fun. The Meep episode was the worst of them but they’re a good trilogy.

It’s a silly and playful tv show and anyone getting their underwear in a twist about it, really is a joyless sap.

Fingeredmouse

I've never read mein kempf page to page either. Am I not allowed an opinion on that either? Pretty silly argument you're trying to push here. Those are bigoted statements, and so far the only thing you've done is talk about me, and not the context of the statement. Always funny how the conversion becomes about the person, and not the topic. Almost like there is no excuse for this, and attacking me personally is the only defensive there is...
What are you talking about Norm? Are you using the example of having an opinion of Mein Kampf, written by Adolf Hitler as analogous here? You just fecking posted that a couple of lines in Doctor Who, in an episode that you haven't seen is as bigoted as anything you've ever read and you see me posting "That's quite the claim" as a personal attack and starting throwing about the echo chamber shite?

Have any opinion that you want Norm. Just don't be surprised that if that opinion is being made in extremis about something that you preface by saying that you haven't seen, that you might get queried on it. That's only the argument I'm making Norm - and I'm certainly not defending what was a clumsily written aspect of the episode.

pauldyson1uk

I was looking though Wiki and found this.
Susan Foreman is a fictional character in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. The granddaughter of the Doctor and original companion of their first incarnation, she was played by actress Carole Ann Ford from 1963 to 1964, in the show's first season and the first two

Could this be Mrs Flood ?

Nogbadthebad

I was looking though Wiki and found this.
Susan Foreman is a fictional character in the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. The granddaughter of the Doctor and original companion of their first incarnation, she was played by actress Carole Ann Ford from 1963 to 1964, in the show's first season and the first two

Could this be Mrs Flood ?
Carole Ann Ford is still alive, so if it was, they would surely have just brought her back.

The obvious name connection would suggest its river song.

pauldyson1uk

Carole Ann Ford is still alive, so if it was, they would surely have just brought her back.

The obvious name connection would suggest its river song.
From the net.
Did River and the Doctor spent 24 years together?

He uses time travel to ensure a perfect date, gives her the sonic screwdriver that she had in "Silence in the Library", and comforts her by revealing that the nights on Darillium last "24 years", giving River a happy life spent with the Doctor before her impending death in the Library.

But Rivers story is all over the place in time, but I dont think she is Flood.

Last edited: