Dominik Szoboszlai

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's the most realistic player I wanted us to sign for the Xhaka replacement, instead we went for Havertz.

Always liked him since his Salzburg days when we were linked before he went to Leipzig, so not surprised to see him doing well.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I vaguely remember Liverpool fans creaming themselves over Keita before he signed.

Szoboszlai looks good in fairness, but I'm not sure about special. Way to early to judge that.
I was definitely on the Keita hype train. He looked the bees knees in Germany.

Injuries was the main thing with him of course, but I still don't get how a player who looked defined by intensity of play and a bit too many red cards in Germany, could show up in liverpool and be so timid as he has been throughout his career with us.

Szoboszlai definitely has the x-factor. Just needs to keep it up basically. Early days, but I think only Gerrard has looked more talented than him when it comes to midfielders we've had in the Premier league era*. He has some way to go to eclipse someone like Alonso obviously, but I think he has more potential.

*I suppose this is also a reflection of the relative paucity of world class midfielders we've had in that era, compared say to forwards.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Guardiola knowing better than you is the most obvious thing to assume. They played Leipzig and wanted to sign a midfielder.
Granting your premise some credence, which I really don't, there are so many factors involved for why they might not go for him. Maybe they wanted a different profile and felt Kovacic fit that better in various ways (age/experience, premier league experience, style of play, price).
Maybe they had question marks about his suitability for the style of play in a city midfield (I certainly didn't expect him to be so allround capable. I thought we were getting an attacking midfielder who would need time to learn a new deeper role).

So many factors goes into the signing of a player, it's just too simplistic to say "if pep didn't want him then..."

You are talking about Szoboszlai as if he is already one of the best midfielders in the world. Give him one-two seasons in the PL. You might be right or not, too early to tell.
No, he does not have enough body of work at this level to be called that. Don't think he's even had a proper "definitely world class" performance for us yet, a la Alonso vs Norwich.
Will need a season or two as you say. But I am saying he could very well become that and looks set to be one of our most important players this season.

Treble

it's just too simplistic to say "if pep didn't want him then..."
You are arguing with your interpretation. I didn't imply Szoboszlai can't become a great player. What I did imply is that Guardiola had to study his performances at Leipzig to prepare City for the CL games between them. Apparently, he wasn't as impressed by what he saw as you are. You are right that they might have been after another type of player. But if you see a great young player with a release clause of just 60m, you are likely to want to sign him. It seems that Liverpool were the only team in Europe that wanted to pay 60m, and did it one day before the clause expired...

Now, he might explode and become a great player. But chances are Liverpool fans are carried away on the basis of several games against teams in poor form (for their standards).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
No I am not. His passing is great by any standard. Alonso-esque stuff like this from a few weeks ago is not surprising

https://x.com/SamueILFC/status/1700947704715571486

But besides his technical skill, he also has great awareness, both in showing for the ball and knowing where to distribute it quickly.
I mean you can pick one pass from everyone's career and make them look like they're great at passing.

Statistically, he wasn't someone who played long passes often, because that wasn't his role as an attacking midfielder. As an attacking midfield , he was averaging a xA of around 0.3 per 90 over the last two seasons at Leipzig, which isn't at the level for someone you want to be a playmaker if you consider that a lot of xA would come from set-pieces and not from open play (can't get stats on that for some reason). If then you want to play him in the Alonso role, he would need to improve defensively because that becomes more important if he's playing centrally.

FortunaUtd

I was definitely on the Keita hype train. He looked the bees knees in Germany.

Injuries was the main thing with him of course, but I still don't get how a player who looked defined by intensity of play and a bit too many red cards in Germany, could show up in liverpool and be so timid as he has been throughout his career with us.

Szoboszlai definitely has the x-factor. Just needs to keep it up basically. Early days, but I think only Gerrard has looked more talented than him when it comes to midfielders we've had in the Premier league era*. He has some way to go to eclipse someone like Alonso obviously, but I think he has more potential.

*I suppose this is also a reflection of the relative paucity of world class midfielders we've had in that era, compared say to forwards.
Keita had one great season at Leipzig, and then a patchy one before he moved. I rated him, and while I would still think his career was mostly hampered and condemned by injuries, it goes to show how sparse a record of one great season is for a big money transfer.

In contrast, Szoboszlai was actually somewhat of a disappointment at Leipzig, and him going on to be a great success at Liverpool would surprise me. Not that the talent is not there, but I have question marks about his tactical intelligence and decision making.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
In contrast, Szoboszlai was actually somewhat of a disappointment at Leipzig, and him going on to be a great success at Liverpool would surprise me. Not that the talent is not there, but I have question marks about his tactical intelligence and decision making.
From what I've seen in a red shirt, his decisionmaking looks top notch. He looks extremely composed in what he does and rarely makes poor decisions.

Last edited:

Real Name

He is absolutely one of our best players this season and has helped to transform our midfield making us contenders once again as we should be. It’s nice seeing him settle in so quickly bossing the midfield in every match. Turns out it seems our transfers have been a lot better than other big spenders as can be seen by our league position.:D
Funny thing is you didnt post so often last year. Dont know what to make of that. Its as if you appear only when Liverpool is doing good. Not to mention lousy snide remarks.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Funny thing is you didnt post so often last year. Dont know what to make of that. Its as if you appear only when Liverpool is doing good. Not to mention lousy snide remarks.
Yeah, as much as I despise Boehlys Chelsea and cherish their demise, there’s actually a lot of regular Chelsea fans staying around taking the banter on the chin. Same can’t be said for many Liverpool supporters last year. Szoboszlai looks quality and kind of a jack of all trades. But for all the praise, the offensive numbers aren’t really there yet, 0 assists in the first 6 games.

Real Name

Yeah, as much as I despise Boehlys Chelsea and cherish their demise, there’s actually a lot of regular Chelsea fans staying around taking the banter on the chin. Same can’t be said for many Liverpool supporters last year. Szoboszlai looks quality and kind of a jack of all trades. But for all the praise, the offensive numbers aren’t really there yet, 0 assists in the first 6 games.
Its typical, every transfer they make he's the best player in the league after 2 or 3 games. Every player they have is the best in that position in the league too.
This poster is well known for his disappearing acts and sudden popping out every time Liverpool is in a good form.

True about Chelsea fans on here, they're all regular.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Is it really that hard to do a quick fact check to save typing out loads of nonsense and exposing yourself as clueless?

He has 1 assist in the Bournemouth game and 1 goal against Villa.

jadajos

Supports
Football

AshRK

A decent player but a 70m.player , absolutely not. But because he plays for Liverpool, media won't bring the price.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I don’t know. Could be true. I’ve been on here so long. I do recall congratulating united every single time they won the league whilst we were winning feck all but that was awhile back. I think I took it on the chin also when we lost to Real Madrid both times.

zaafi

Is it really that hard to do a quick fact check to save typing out loads of nonsense and exposing yourself as clueless?

He has 1 assist in the Bournemouth game and 1 goal against Villa.
No, he has zero assists. Taking a shot, goalkeeper saving the shot and Jota being there for the rebound is not an assist.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
No, he has zero assists. Taking a shot, goalkeeper saving the shot and Jota being there for the rebound is not an assist.
I'll leave this here for all to see. FPL shows it as an assist.

jadajos

Supports
Football
But it's not an assist, and it isn't counted as one. Why are you using Fantasy as a source instead of the official Premier League website?
I’d hazard a guess: to type out loads of nonsense and expose himself as clueless.

MegadrivePerson

A decent player but a 70m.player , absolutely not. But because he plays for Liverpool, media won't bring the price.
It was £60 million wasn't it?

In comparison to players that went for a similar amount (Mount and Havertz) it looks like great business.

In Szoboslai, Mac Alister, Jones and Gravenberch they look more like the Liverpool of a few years ago.

The midfields job isn't score or assist but to win the ball back and keep possession. The midfield looks completely reenergised compared to when they were playing Thiago, Henderson and Fabinho last season.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
Guardiola knowing better than you is the most obvious thing to assume. They played Leipzig and wanted to sign a midfielder. You are talking about Szoboszlai as if he is already one of the best midfielders in the world. Give him one-two seasons in the PL. You might be right or not, too early to tell.
This reasoning is just baffeling, especially when you have 0 insight into Citys recruitment process. The reason why a certain transfer doesn't happen can be any number of reasons. It could be that it is because the manager doesn't rate the player, but that is far from the certainty that you imply that it is. City also played Dortmund last year, and Pep didn't sign Bellingham, are you suggesting he doesn't rate him as well?

Real Name

I don’t know. Could be true. I’ve been on here so long. I do recall congratulating united every single time they won the league whilst we were winning feck all but that was awhile back. I think I took it on the chin also when we lost to Real Madrid both times.
Fair play then.

Treble

This reasoning is just baffeling, especially when you have 0 insight into Citys recruitment process. The reason why a certain transfer doesn't happen can be any number of reasons. It could be that it is because the manager doesn't rate the player, but that is far from the certainty that you imply that it is. City also played Dortmund last year, and Pep didn't sign Bellingham, are you suggesting he doesn't rate him as well?
By all accounts Bellingham snubbed City. They were after a midfielder and were ready to pay a huge fee for Rice, then for Paquetta. Szoboszlai was available for 60m, only Liverpool were interested at that price. Might be because Liverpool were clever. Or might be because they were desperate. Time will tell. Think Szoboszlai has qualities. I doubt he is as good as Liverpool fans think, but let's see what happens. Will be interesting to see how he does compared to Mount or Matheus Nunes or other midfielders signed by top clubs. Again, time will tell.

PaudieG91

Supports
Liverpool
Which of his 1 goal and 0 assists is your favourite?
The average football fan in 2023. If he isn't 90 rated in FIFA or getting you points in Fantasy he's not very good.

Hughes35

I think he looks class to be honest. Another very good singing for them unfortunately.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
The average football fan in 2023. If he isn't 90 rated in FIFA or getting you points in Fantasy he's not very good.
You just have to believe that is exactly how Man Utd scouts judge players - just like their fans would. :cool:

"How many assists does he have? None! Next!"