Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

frostbite

So the January 6 committee recommended to the Department of Justice the following charges against Donald Trump:
  • Obstruction of an official proceeding
  • Conspiracy to defraud the United States
  • Conspiracy to make a false statement
  • Inciting, assisting, aiding, or comforting an insurrection
In my opinion, the whole thing is completely meaningless now. Another piece of theater for the Democrats. I really cannot understand why they are doing this.

If they did this 12 months ago, then they'd have time to really do something about it. Now Congress is already in recess, and the next House will have a Republican majority. Nothing will happen.

Why did they wait for 2 full years? Nothing really new came out. All these four "charges" were well known to all of us when this happened, all the major newspapers reported them. They could have written this "recommendation" 12 months ago, they already had enough evidence and enough facts to proceed, if they wanted to.

If they did this 12 months ago we could expect that something will really happen, now it is just another fart in the wind.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So the January 6 committee recommended to the Department of Justice the following charges against Donald Trump:
  • Obstruction of an official proceeding
  • Conspiracy to defraud the United States
  • Conspiracy to make a false statement
  • Inciting, assisting, aiding, or comforting an insurrection
In my opinion, the whole thing is completely meaningless now. Another piece of theater for the Democrats. I really cannot understand why they are doing this.

If they did this 12 months ago, then they'd have time to really do something about it. Now Congress is already in recess, and the next House will have a Republican majority. Nothing will happen.

Why did they wait for 2 full years? Nothing really new came out. All these four "charges" were well known to all of us when this happened, all the major newspapers reported them. They could have written this "recommendation" 12 months ago, they already had enough evidence and enough facts to proceed, if they wanted to.

If they did this 12 months ago we could expect that something will really happen, now it is just another fart in the wind.
They did have to go through a rather laborious process of interviewing & data mining tbf after beginning on 7.1.2021, but I agree with your wider assertion that they did let valuable time slip only starting after six months of holding the House. They did also waste time faffing around with the votes for the doomed commission in Feb 2021.

RedDevilQuebecois

People have been punished for posting dicks before.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the best I found about sharpening knives.

They did have to go through a rather laborious process of interviewing & data mining tbf after beginning on 7.1.2021, but I agree with your wider assertion that they did let valuable time slip only starting after six months of holding the House. They did also waste time faffing around with the votes for the doomed commission in Feb 2021.
And it also does not help with that slowpoke of a DOJ either. Did everyone notice that things only started to pick up after Hutchinson's testimony in front of the committee? That says a lot about how much time was wasted.

For the 5,000,000th time, the USDOJ seriously needs to learn how to be as ruthless as their South Korean counterparts. If you want people to trust in the rule of law, prosecutors should never be afraid of hunting down corrupt politicians no matter where they are and no matter their political affiliation.

The United

It is obvious that the US Department of Justice does not want to set a precedent for the future, no matter how much nonsense Trump and his people spew and did. They would rather punish some low-level people just to show that they are serious about it, or at least pretend to be serious about it.

But the US DOJ under the GOP may have went gone if it were the other way around, which would be irony.

On the other hand, I like how Dem are handling this issue. They are giving enough to moderate GOPs and Independents to stay away from him and his extreme followers, but not pushing hard enough to move them to the other side, getting more toxic.

The result of this mid term was evident that they handled it well enough and Trump's and his followers' political careers are going downhill at this point.

I think they and DOJ under them will keep it that way in general. Which would be a smart move.

Last edited:

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Puts the onus on the republicans to deal with it also. If they don’t want his shit show at the next election, getting them to make the decision for the dems in congress goes away from the narrative of it being a witch hunt. Wouldn’t surprise me if he actually gets indicted. I think the GOP want rid of him for good and this gives them that opportunity.

Drifter

American
Trump will probably get a fine and not allowed to hold office ever again, not prison , but just as bad for someone like Trump.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Trump will probably get a fine and not allowed to hold office ever again, not prison , but just as bad for someone like Trump.
Bad? He would milk it forever. His initial plan was never being the POTUS. Nor is being POTUS again. he is just a grifter and will grift any oppotunity that life brings being a POTUS or being denied being a POTUS. He is truely a genius grifting everybody

Drifter

American
'This time is different': Republican lawmaker sees Trump sinking into 'irrelevance'

Donald Trump is facing several major legal problems that are all coming to a head at once. At the Justice Department, Trump is facing possible charges around the Jan. 6 attack and around the documents he stole from the White House upon leaving office. There's also a decision by the special grand jury in Fulton County, Georgia, civil charges around his business in New York and a slew of other problems. Meanwhile, he's become the butt of jokes after releasing "Trump trading cards" for $99 each.

Speaking to the New York Times, Rep. Carlos Curbelo (R-FL) made it clear that the GOP's party leader is slipping further and further into political impotence.

“I don’t think that anything can save Donald Trump,” said Curbelo. “He’s decidedly on the path to irrelevance. He reduces himself by the day.”

"This time is different,” Curbelo claimed. He explained that Trump was once “new and interesting” but now that people are watching him implode, the curiosity has lost its luster. “Now Donald Trump is old, predictable, obviously petty.”

He went on to describe all of the drama that surrounds Trump's life, like the recent dinner he had with Nazis and white supremacists Kanye West and Nick Fuentes. Even after announcing his presidential run a week after the midterm election, interest has failed to garner much enthusiasm. Typically when someone announces they're seeking the top spot it is followed by a whirlwind of events and enthusiasm. Trump's announcement has been relatively dull. There were no events, no rallies and nothing but $99 trading cards.

The 2022 midterm election didn't go well for Republicans who expected a so-called "red wave." Instead, it was a narrow victory and it appears GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) may not even be able to snag the spot as speaker because there are five far-right members disgusted with him, despite Trump making calls for him.

“Ironically, this is not too different from a reality TV series that’s run its course,” Curbelo said. “And people are just kind of over it, even his supporters.”

“I think he’s been a diminishing figure for some time,” said "Never Trumper" former Rep. Charlie Dent (R-PA).

RedDevilQuebecois

If someone asks me why I'm a fan of the Japanese approch to taxing the rich (with a maximum inheritance tax of 55% for the richest), it's really simple. If you tax the rich that way, they would be forced to generate money again and again, generation after generation rather than sit on a ton of cash and not do anything about it.

I. E. The system should be revamped to force them to work their socks off to earn their wealth. Losers like Donald J. Trump would have been washed away into total irrelevance a long time ago if they lived in a system like Japan's.

Last edited:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Didn't he insert someone into the IRS who was chummy with him?
From the occupydem article - "Despite a policy of auditing presidents every year they’re in office that has existed since the 1970s, the IRS not only failed to audit Trump for every year but one, as expected, but did so only after Chairman Richard Neal requested the returns, and even then literally only appointed ONE PERSON to conduct the audit when it did.

It’s like they were trying to cover their eyes and ears.

One has to wonder if it has anything to do with Trump appointee Charles Rettig making money off of Trump properties WHILE HE WAS HEAD OF THE IRS.
"

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I'm going with the Very Banana option.
Not in a position to yell at other countries for being corrupt etc. The concept of checks & balances is all but a jingoistic illusion. We can all thank Trump for shining light on the underlying corruption that riddles the government, military and businesses etc.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
A wet nappy.
You laugh but there was a story about someone being in a meeting with him when he was president and they heard him evacuate his guts mid-meeting and shortly after the stench filled their nostrils to confirm it.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Hopefully this will stoke the fire and rage inside him. He needs to sustain this for the primaries.
The highlight of next year will be the death match between trump and deSantis.
When Donnie loses, that will be the best bit. He begins to tear the GOP from within.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
You laugh but there was a story about someone being in a meeting with him when he was president and they heard him evacuate his guts mid-meeting and shortly after the stench filled their nostrils to confirm it.
I think it was Erdogan, there was a video and you wouldn’t rule it out based on body language.