Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Just the optics of putting him on trial are worth it. But can you imagine that moron facing a grilling....my god it would be car crash TV.

The Firestarter

Something I haven’t seen mentioned yet....

McConnell’s Senate and Barr’s DOJ protected Trump from having to testify or even provide any of the requested evidence at the last sham of an impeachment trial.

New Senate Maj Leader.
New Attorney General.
New rules.
Whole new ball game.

If they can force Trump onto the stand to testify at this trial, and there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why they shouldn’t, it’s going to be one of the most watched events in history. Absolute box office.
Won't be entirely surprised if he somehow manages to against all odds come better out of it. Some Goering at Nurnberg trial level shit.

manc exile

Supports
City
:lol: As an aside, have you seen how tall Barron is now? He's taller than his dad, and Donald's 6ft 3. Must be something in the hamburders.
so which basketball player did melania have an affair with?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Perhaps an entire team of any sport could be the father. I present the 1989 Denver Broncos, they've been accused before. Course, Baron would have been created much later than 1989 so they're probably off the hook, this time.
I mean, Cartman was in the White House, so maybe he fathered Baron and the height skipped a generation.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Something I haven’t seen mentioned yet....

McConnell’s Senate and Barr’s DOJ protected Trump from having to testify or even provide any of the requested evidence at the last sham of an impeachment trial.

New Senate Maj Leader.
New Attorney General.
New rules.
Whole new ball game.

If they can force Trump onto the stand to testify at this trial, and there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why they shouldn’t, it’s going to be one of the most watched events in history. Absolute box office.
They won’t give him the podium to stoke up his supporters. You’ve spent the last four years saying this sort of stuff and ‘this is the one that will get him.’ It hasn’t and won’t happen, just let it go man. It’s over.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
They won’t give him the podium to stoke up his supporters. You’ve spent the last four years saying this sort of stuff and ‘this is the one that will get him.’ It hasn’t and won’t happen, just let it go man. It’s over.
Wait, are you saying that there should be no political repercussions for sparking an attack on a co-equal branch of Government?

That'sHernandez

Wait, are you saying that there should be no political repercussions for sparking an attack on a co-equal branch of Government?
No, I’m saying making him testify is giving him an unnecessary platform for which he can use to stoke up more divide. Particularly after he has had every other platform taken from him. Impeach the guy without.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Where did I say “this is the one that will get him?”. I pointed out that he no longer has GOP controlling proceedings and protecting him from even having to explain himself.

That'sHernandez

Where did I say “this is the one that will get him?”. I pointed out that he no longer has GOP controlling proceedings and protecting him from even having to explain himself.
I mean in the Trump Presidency Thread, you were one of the (well informed) posters I followed whenever I took a glance in there. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I recall you being led down a blind alley numerous times! As were we all, unfortunately.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
No, I’m saying making him testify is giving him an unnecessary platform for which he can use to stoke up more divide. Particularly after he has had every other platform taken from him. Impeach the guy without.
Ok, got it and I can see the logic in this. I am torn both ways as I am confident he would damn himself with his own words, but I also think he could cause even more damage along the way. The safe route I think is to not give him the chance.

That'sHernandez

Ok, got it and I can see the logic in this. I am torn both ways as I am confident he would damn himself with his own words, but I also think he could cause even more damage along the way. The safe route I think is to not give him the chance.
He’d just argue the toss and go on a tangent about sharks in soup, while encouraging the proud boys to rise up or something. It’s literally not worth anyone’s time.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
No, I’m saying making him testify is giving him an unnecessary platform for which he can use to stoke up more divide. Impeach the guy without.
So you’re saying that he would use a trial where he is charged with inciting an insurrection to... attempted to incite an insurrection... and it wouldn’t be a good idea for the Democrats to let him do that. While under oath and under the watch of a Chief Justice?

That'sHernandez

So you’re saying that he would use a trial where he is charged with inciting an insurrection to... attempted to incite an insurrection... and it wouldn’t be a good idea for the Democrats to let him do that. While under oath and under the watch of a Chief Justice?
I think I have the measure of the man, yes

edit: what’s the actual upshot of this? An unprecedented prison sentence? Talk about doing the exact opposite of what Biden is calling for

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I mean in the Trump Presidency Thread, you were one of the (well informed) posters I followed whenever I took a glance in there. Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I recall you being led down a blind alley numerous times! As were we all, unfortunately.
I was as jaded as anyone after a year or two of the Republicans blocking every single possibility of him being held to account. They’re not in charge anymore. The Democrats have every opportunity to do something about it now and that’s all I’ve pointed out. Will they take that opportunity? Well, as I’ve been saying in the Trump thread for the last 6 months... I very much doubt it. It will be like the report into the CIA that the Obama administration quashed as an olive branch to the GOP.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
How consequential is the difference between Monday and Thursday? Dems need Moscow Mitch's support for this don't they to push for more R votes.. Why not just let it be Thursday?
It’s horseshit. The only reason McConnell will potentially back impeachment is if he thinks it will benefit himself and the Republicans. If he thinks that then he’ll do it regardless of anything the Dems might or might not do. It would be a mistake to believe he can be bargained with.

The Firestarter

Sure, but the end result of that defence was still a conviction on all counts. They even denied him a request to be shot instead of hanged.
It is not equivalent because that was the end of the road for him. Trump on the other hand, is not in danger of death or incarceration, and can gain something from such an appearance. He might as well lose even more , of course, if he repeats debate 1.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I want something done to the likes of Cruz, Hawley, et al for their role in the insurrection. Nothing will happen. Can't see Trump being convicted of shit in the political sphere. Dems are pussies overall, Republicans have no spine and only crave power.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Hmm... does the 5th apply in a political trial? It doesn't apply in civil trial depositions I don't think.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Brophs

The One and Only
You sneering feckers. He's about to get divorced by an actual robot. What have you lot ever done?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Hmm... does the 5th apply in a political trial? It doesn't apply in civil trial depositions I don't think.
Contempt of Congress is a federal misdemeanour so surely if you are under oath and lying would be a federal crime then you would have the right to plead the fifth?

Brophs

The One and Only
I once hosted an awards show
Yeah, I did that gig once. I presume you experienced the same existential dread around 3 awards in where you started to hate yourself and were wondering why you'd wasted your time on something so utterly pointless.