Donald Trump The First - Indicted The Fourth

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Watched about half of the Napoleon movie the other day. As part of me nerding out watching movies based on real history I spent some time on Wikipedia and came to the pictures of Napoleon's Tomb. When you look closely in one of them it looks like Trump and Melania being given a tour of it.

While I've felt this way long before - somehow seeing that and watching something about a bigger than life character than Napoleon that also showed a lot of unflattering takes about him - I couldn't help but think again that Trump surely sees all his shenanigans as some kind of way to place himself amongst the great rebels of world history who also demanded huge amounts of excess. People who portray themselves as being against the establishment while really just wanting the same thing. Napoleon fought against the royal family of France only to make himself royalty instead. Look at "man of the people" Trump with his golden toilets.

Fortunately we now live in a society where suppressing dissent with extreme violence and other unscrupulous methods are less passable but my only point is: if you frame his actions against what he probably see as somehow cementing some misplaced sense of legacy, it makes a tiny bit more sense.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
Watched about half of the Napoleon movie the other day. As part of me nerding out watching movies based on real history I spent some time on Wikipedia and came to the pictures of Napoleon's Tomb. When you look closely in one of them it looks like Trump and Melania being given a tour of it.

While I've felt this way long before - somehow seeing that and watching something about a bigger than life character than Napoleon that also showed a lot of unflattering takes about him - I couldn't help but think again that Trump surely sees all his shenanigans as some kind of way to place himself amongst the great rebels of world history who also demanded huge amounts of excess. People who portray themselves as being against the establishment while really just wanting the same thing. Napoleon fought against the royal family of France only to make himself royalty instead. Look at "man of the people" Trump with his golden toilets.

Fortunately we now live in a society where suppressing dissent with extreme violence and other unscrupulous methods are less passable but my only point is: if you frame his actions against what he probably see as somehow cementing some misplaced sense of legacy, it makes a tiny bit more sense.
I thought Napoleon was an absolute crock of shit. A real let down tbh, it just seemed to jump all over the place and miss out so many important events whilst simultaneously not explaining much of anything except his fecked up relationship with Josephine.

Back on topic, it really does seem as if Trump is just going all out now and grasping at any support he can get from anyone. I think the indictments and court appearances alongside the monumental cock ups by himself and his legal team's are finally starting to get to him. He shocked me how he held it together so long during his previous election campaign and Presidency, maybe the Trump meltdown and scorched earth attacks are a possibility this time?

Redplane

I thought Napoleon was an absolute crock of shit. A real let down tbh, it just seemed to jump all over the place and miss out so many important events whilst simultaneously not explaining much of anything except his fecked up relationship with Josephine.
Oh don't get me wrong Im disappointed in the movie too (visuals aside) but that wasn't my point. It was about the real live phenomenon of characters like Napoleon and how I feel Trump probably sees himself in it.

langster

Scout
Oh don't get me wrong Im disappointed in the movie too (visuals aside) but that wasn't my point. It was about the real live phenomenon of characters like Napoleon and how I feel Trump probably sees himself in it.
Sorry, I was just commenting on the film. You're right that the visuals were pretty good, just it was disappointing overall. Especially when you consider who made and starred in it.

You're absolutely right about Trump though, he definitely sees himself as someone who has shaped history and feels he should be remembered and mentioned alongside those names who have been so historically important (for good or bad reasons) throughout the ages. If he gets reelected then he just may get his wish.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Sorry, I was just commenting on the film. You're right that the visuals were pretty good, just it was disappointing overall. Especially when you consider who made and starred in it.

You're absolutely right about Trump though, he definitely sees himself as someone who has shaped history and feels he should be remembered and mentioned alongside those names who have been so historically important (for good or bad reasons) throughout the ages. If he gets reelected then he just may get his wish.
In fairness, he already had been one of the most influential prssidents in US history. Probably top ten. Politics in US completely changed after him another term could be a new beginning for US

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I think he's one of the least fit people to ever hold power, an irredeemably disgusting human being and a walking tumor on America but I'd absolutely put him in the top 5 most influential Presidents of all time. He's almost single-handedly broken one of the two major parties.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think he's one of the least fit people to ever hold power, an irredeemably disgusting human being and a walking tumor on America but I'd absolutely put him in the top 5 most influential Presidents of all time. He's almost single-handedly broken one of the two major parties.
I'd put him in the top 5 most influential human beings in the past century if he gets another term, yes, a century that includes Hitler, Mao & Stalin.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How College-Educated Republicans Learned to Love Trump Again

Blue-collar white voters make up Donald Trump’s base. But his political resurgence has been fueled largely by Republicans from the other end of the socioeconomic scale.

Their surge toward the former president appears to stem largely from a reaction to the current political climate rather than a sudden clamoring to join the red-capped citizenry of MAGA nation, according to interviews with nearly two dozen college-educated Republican voters.
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/14/us/politics/trump-college-educated-voters.html

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Trump went after Vivek on truth social recently, basically saying he is a fraud, and so on.

Vivek has been his biggest cheerleader out of the cadidates, shows how much loyalty to Trump is worth, precisely nothing.

GiddyUp

I'd put him in the top 5 most influential human beings in the past century if he gets another term, yes, a century that includes Hitler, Mao & Stalin.
Because of his big mouth? He's a spoiled rich kid who has added no value to society and is so malleable depending on the last person he spoke to. He's a stain and a fraud nothing more. And the only reason he has risen to such heights is a very dumb electorate who are in the middle of a conspiracy theory hurricane.

Mike Smalling

Trump went after Vivek on truth social recently, basically saying he is a fraud, and so on.

Vivek has been his biggest cheerleader out of the cadidates, shows how much loyalty to Trump is worth, precisely nothing.
It's delicious. Vivek has had his lips firmly placed on Trump's orange behind for months, and then he goes and does that :lol: It's just so very Trump. I can't find the logic in it though. Ramaswamy is not even close to being a threat in the primaries. Maybe it's just pure pettiness, since Vivek is getting some attention.

decorativeed

Because of his big mouth? He's a spoiled rich kid who has added no value to society and is so malleable depending on the last person he spoke to. He's a stain and a fraud nothing more. And the only reason he has risen to such heights is a very dumb electorate who are in the middle of a conspiracy theory hurricane.
Hey, they didn't say he was a good influence. Having a profoundly bad influence is still being influential.

langster

Scout
:lol: It's just so very Trump. I can't find the logic in it though.
It's very easy where Trump.is involved.... Vivek posted a picture of him and some others wearing a 'Save Trump, vote Vivek' t-shirts. He also repeated it during a town hall and obviously Trump and his ickle ego can't handle that so he has to go on the attack. Vivek is being ela gentleman by not responding to personal attacks in kind, but how long will that last if Trump really goes after him?

What is unfathomable for me is after decades of Trump being like this, how the media and other political opponents still haven't worked out how to take him down. Instead the continuously play right in to his hands.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I didn't say it was positive influence, in fact, the other 3 I named were also bad influence on the world.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I didn't say it was positive influence, in fact, the other 3 I named were also bad influence on the world.
Yea, kinda weird that you cite Hitler, Mao & Stalin and the response is “but Trump is bad”.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yea, kinda weird that you cite Hitler, Mao & Stalin and the response is “but Trump is bad”.
It's about being influential, I didn't say he's as bad as the other 3.

No one has done more to destroy the only remaining superpower as he has, and he may just succeed in knocking the US off their perch if he gets a 2nd term.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It's about being influential, I didn't say he's as bad as the other 3.

No one has done more to destroy the only remaining superpower as he has, and he may just succeed in knocking the US off their perch if he gets a 2nd term.
I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

WPMUFC

Die for me to win a useless Caucus you fecking worthless pigs.

Former President Trump encouraged his Iowa supporters to caucus for him at any cost, joking that due to extreme winter weather, “even if you vote and then pass away, it’s worth it.”

Meteorologists warned of “life-threatening” conditions in Iowa for the weekend as the state prepares to caucus. Trump canceled three of his four in-person Iowa events Sunday due to the freezing cold and snow.

Windchill is projected to be as low as -40 degrees in parts of the state Monday, with temperatures also in the negative. The Hawkeye State is also recovering from a blizzard that rocked the region Friday and Saturday, icing roads.

“You can’t sit home. If you’re sick as a dog, you say, ‘Darling, I gotta make it,’” Trump said at an Indianola rally on Sunday. “Even if you vote and then pass away, it’s worth it, remember.”
https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-if-you-vote-and-then-pass-away-its-worth-it/

langster

Scout

Only the best people. Yet again Trump's lawyers show their incompetence. Apparently the judge was mocking her as well.

the_cliff

Napolean whether you like him or not was basically a genius and widely regarded as one of the greatest emperors in history. I think Trump is more comparable to Caligula who once tried to make his horse a consul of Rome.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Because the election of Trump and other so-called ‘populist’ figures in other Western countries has been coming for a long time now.

What I find more surprising is that a lot of people just can’t get their heads around it.

Redplane

Because the election of Trump and other so-called ‘populist’ figures in other Western countries has been coming for a long time now.

What I find more surprising is that a lot of people just can’t get their heads around it.
I don't think that's necessarily it. I can fully get my head around why populists have gained popularity. What I don't get - and clearly many with me - is why Trump in this country. Most other populist characters out there don't even have an ounce of the amount of dirt there is on this guy. Someone who isn't a decent human being by hundreds of stretches of the imagination.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Napolean whether you like him or not was basically a genius and widely regarded as one of the greatest emperors in history. I think Trump is more comparable to Caligula who once tried to make his horse a consul of Rome.
It will end like Nero

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
I don't think that's necessarily it. I can fully get my head around why populists have gained popularity. What I don't get - and clearly many with me - is why Trump in this country. Most other populist characters out there don't even have an ounce of the amount of dirt there is on this guy. Someone who isn't a decent human being by hundreds of stretches of the imagination.
Well I suppose Trump is very particular to America. His equivalent in a European country would be of a different style or nature (i.e. more educated and perhaps more dangerous).

But in respect of the reasons for why Trump and other ‘populist’ figures have come to prominence, one of the main ones is that culture and values have changed. And over time politics itself, just like everything else, will reflect that change. It’s this factor that a lot of people seem to struggle with the most.

Tarrou

I know its horrible but part of me wants him to win because of how great the memes will be

RedDevilQuebecois

Katie Phang unloads on Alina Habba a hell lot harder here than what a bodycheck in the middle of the ice by Scott Stevens does to another hockey player.

Last edited: