5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

Not at all. As a Dutchie Ajax is my favorite club and United my favorite foreign club. So when my favorite Ajax player joined United i thought that it was a match made in heaven(at least for me), but things turned out to be a huge mismatch.

Also i find it so weird that anyone will think he'll get his chances, because he isn't gonna get it anymore, last few matches where the perfect time to get him some minutes. Besides people think he's a young talent with barely any playtime. He has played over 200 matches including an EL final and a CL semi-final. Sure it's a big step up from the Eredivisie, but his performances in the CL against teams on that higher level have been really good. So not that much adjusting needed.
How? A tight game against Wolves, a tight game against Villa, a game against top four rivals away from home in Leicester.

He started against Everton in the cup (and was atrocious), will start against Watford, and may get minutes against City depending on how seriously we're taking the competition. Where else are we going to get minutes for a player who has shown nothing for us so far?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Think he should’ve come on instead of Matic today. We needed someone to calm the game down, do the right thing, keep it simple and easy. Matic was smashing into people and giving the ball away. The last 10 mins with Matic and James on was hell

RedDevilzFox

Needs more time with VDB but on the face of it I cannot tell what he brings to a championship team other than fit in some kind of system and recycle the ball in MF.

Its not the same as Fred was. Fred could ball even if he wasn't starting and you knew he wasn't short of energy and dynamism.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
give it at least until the end of the season, rather than a few months. Players need time to settle.
I'm not sure it's going to happen. As someone who has seen almost all of his matches it's incredibly frustrating to see him struggle, mainly due to being played out of position or only being brought on in the final minutes where the rest of the team is either done with the game(mentally, physically) or the whole team is under pressure. Because those are situations where he's not going to perform well, most players would struggle in those situations. Ole is not going to play him in the role he's most suited for, mostly because he likes to be a bit more defensive(way to defensive in my eyes, but he gets results, so can't argue with that), so he's not going to play much. That's why it's a mismatch, he's not a true attacking mid nor is he a defensive mid. If he was Ole's transfer, then the tactic would've been changed to commodate him. Cleary he isn't.

I'm not sure it's going to happen. As someone who has seen almost all of his matches it's incredibly frustrating to see him struggle, mainly due to being played out of position or only being brought on in the final minutes where the rest of the team is either done with the game(mentally, physically) or the whole team is under pressure. Because those are situations where he's not going to perform well, most players would struggle in those situations. Ole is not going to play him in the role he's most suited for, mostly because he likes to be a bit more defensive(way to defensive in my eyes, but he gets results, so can't argue with that), so he's not going to play much. That's why it's a mismatch, he's not a true attacking mid nor is he a defensive mid. If he was Ole's transfer, then the tactic would've been changed to commodate him. Cleary he isn't.
he’s come to a top club, where there are a lot of very good midfielders. The manager is not going to change his tactics to accommodate him. He’s a good player, but that would only be afforded to the very best.

he needs to adapt, and unfortunately this season there has been very little chance to give him opportunities. On the whole most of the midfield have been fit, and generally in form.

I think it’s clear that OGS has a very big say in transfers. Perhaps not for the likes of young players like Diallo - but I don’t believe for a second that DVDB wasn’t an Ole signing.

give it time.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Think he should’ve come on instead of Matic today. We needed someone to calm the game down, do the right thing, keep it simple and easy. Matic was smashing into people and giving the ball away. The last 10 mins with Matic and James on was hell
Matic was brought on to kick lumps out of Grealish and disrupt play. VDB would have been given the run around by Grealish

lex talionis

Overall I’m very pleased with the job Ole has done this season so I’m not here to flog him over his nonuse of Donny, but if he feels Donny isn’t up to the standard of our other midfielders, we should sell him to a club which can use him, perhaps Barcelona or Juventus.

This is a quality footballer who not should be rotting on the bench.

IrishRedDevil

I’d rather bring him on to take control of the ball, instead of Dan James running around like a headless chicken.

Mcking

The most baffling thing about him so far is that many Man Utd fans actually rate him. That means many Man Utd fans don't know much about him. He is as average as a Premier League footballer could be.

He has got games and has been completely uninspiring. The less he is playing, the better he seems to be getting. He is not a much better option than Mata, Lingard or Andreas Pereira. Would be much more obvious if we didn't have better players that have allowed him to hide on the bench.

Last edited:

PoTMS

The most baffling thing about him so far is that many Man Utd fans actually rate him. That means many Man Utd fans don't know much about him. He is as average as a Premier League footballer could be.

He has got games and has been completely uninspiring. The less he is playing, the better he seems to be getting. He is not a much better option than Mata, Lingard or Andreas Pereira. Would be much more obvious if we didn't have better players that have allowed him to hide on the bench.
You clearly don't know ball. Not everything is about the Premier League.

manunited1919

Either he is injured or he just doesn’t suit the style of play Ole wants. He would be killing it if he were playing for City or another team with similar style.

Lennon7

Matic was brought on to kick lumps out of Grealish and disrupt play. VDB would have been given the run around by Grealish
And that he did, alongside giving away multiple fouls and losing possession. Fred was fading so perhaps Matic could’ve come on for him and VdB for McT

sillwuka

I don't think Ole trusts him fully just yet - I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start the next game either although I feel he should be given the chance to shine.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Fred had a long drawn out, rough start at United and now he is bossing it and playing a massive role as one of the key players for me.

The same could easily happen for Donny, he just needs to be patient and take his chances when they come

Adamsk7

I actually think he’s the best player to play alongside Fred, with Bruno in the 10 and Pogba on the left (and rotating around with Bruno, like he did tonight). Donny is calm on the ball, press resistant and a solid passer. He’s also got a decent engine and is a better tackler than he gets credit for. I just think now we are still in the mix, that we need all of our best footballers on the pitch and there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a better footballer than McT - it’s just whether he gets and grabs his chance.

Not worried yet, long time to go and it takes some players a while to adapt, just like Fred.

Redfrog

Overall I’m very pleased with the job Ole has done this season so I’m not here to flog him over his nonuse of Donny, but if he feels Donny isn’t up to the standard of our other midfielders, we should sell him to a club which can use him, perhaps Barcelona or Juventus.

But we need quality on the bench, that is the nature of a big club.
VdB will play cup games and Europa this year mostly I think. That is up to him to take his chances and earn to be a regular.
Players have to adapt to the team or impose themselves, not the other way around.
I still believe he can come good, we have saw glimpses of it, give it time.

Lennon7

Why would we want to strengthen potential European rivals and at the same time weaken our bench/squad competition?

Chief123

Your post makes me realise the bolded part.

Nori-

The teams been doing so well recently, the kid can't get any regular action which is understandable. He just needs to keep training hard and make sure he performs when he gets he chance.

I just hope this doesn't effect his confidence long term because you can see he has the potential to be very good.

lex talionis

Why would we want to strengthen potential European rivals and at the same time weaken our bench/squad competition?
Yeah, I could have worded that sentence differently. From Donny’s point of view, he’s at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing, not rotting.

From our point of view, we have a lot of players who are under contract but fit different reasons get no playing time. That’s not desirable in itself, but if it’s in the club’s interest to let Donny rot, so be it. Ole knows better than I whether Donny can be of any use to United, so there we are.

Lennon7

Yeah, I could have worded that sentence differently. From Donny’s point of view, he’s at a stage in his career where he needs to be playing, not rotting.

From our point of view, we have a lot of players who are under contract but fit different reasons get no playing time. That’s not desirable in itself, but if it’s in the club’s interest to let Donny rot, so be it. Ole knows better than I whether Donny can be of any use to United, so there we are.
Donny isn’t rotting, he’s done well enough when he’s played and he’s been here for less than 6 months. He’s 23. He’ll have ample time to show his quality.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve not seen enough of him to agree with the first paragraph but the bolder part I 100% agree with.

There’s people on here saying he steps into Pogba’s shoes when/if he leaves & the lad has shown absolutely nothing to show he’ll be an adequate replacement.

Numerous posters thought his signing was strange at the time & I’m still to see what role he fills for us.

el3mel

Donny isn’t rotting, he’s done well enough when he’s played and he’s been here for less than 6 months. He’s 23. He’ll have ample time to show his quality.
He hasn't done much when he played. His first few gamers were very decent but recently he has been invisible whenever he stepped on the pitch. It's one of the biggest reasons why I have been extremely disappointed with this signing, not just he doesn't play much, but even when he does he barely does anything to warrant more chances. He passes the ball and keeps it well, but barely affects the game in any way.

Lennon7

He hasn't done much when he played. His first few gamers were very decent but recently he has been invisible whenever he stepped on the pitch. It's one of the biggest reasons why I have been extremely disappointed with this signing, not just he doesn't play much, but even when he does he barely does anything to warrant more chances. He passes the ball and keeps it well, but barely affects the game in any way.
He’s been playing it very safe I’ll admit, but he’s likely been deployed to play like that. He doesn’t seem to make mistakes, keeps the ball, makes the right decisions. Like I said in the other thread he should’ve come on to see the game out today instead of James or Matic. We wouldn’t have lost the ball so fecking often in the last 10 mins.

Redfrog

That is fair. I don't think he deserves to play either.
But Ole cannot wait to have better options then Fred or McTominay. No disrespect to them but it is obvious he wants runners but with better ball abilities...that is why he fluctuated between them and Matic and Pogba. Hope the kid from Ecuador is the answer !

lex talionis

But how is that going to happen when James and Mata get the manager’s call and not Fonny? And Fred and McTominay, who have put in some fine shifts this season and they do offer something we don’t think Donny does? And Pogba, who on his day is pure class, but has had few such days this season (though he’s been outstanding the last two weeks), is preferred? And Matic. And Bruno who’s of course on another planet.

A midfielder of Donny’s proven caliber can’t succeed when he’s given only garbage time or league cup cameos.

Sylar

Expect him to get the cup games and Europa games. If he can have a superb performance then it might allow him time to shine in the league. And from there he needs to be outstanding

Right now I don't see him not playing as an issue as were doing well without him. But we may need him later so hopefully he's hungry for it and bides his time

zenith

Expect him to start on our next two games, alongside a DM in a midfield 2 with pogba in front of them.

Hopefully he can show some signs of settling down, though we should expect to see better from him by only next season. He's still a young lad in a new country and a team with a different playing style. With time, he'll show his true worth.

Judas

Open to offers
Why do people think he'll get thrown into a cup semi-final against City when he's barely played at all? Seems very unrealistic.

If he doesn't start the cup game against Watford that really would be very telling.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why do people think he'll get thrown into a cup semi-final against City when he's barely played at all? Seems very unrealistic.

If he doesn't start the cup game against Watford that really would be very telling.
He played the previous rounds didnt he?

Judas

Open to offers
He played the previous rounds didnt he?
Did he start against Everton? I can't remember. He might have played the previous rounds but the games were closer together were they not. I don't see how sharp he'll be after barely playing lately. I've no issue with him starting, but I'd be surprised.

united for life

No way he plays against City. Give him a start in the Fa Cup. I have honestly stopped caring that much about him.
already given up on him? Is that fair? A player who did well for ajax and a player that has lots of potential. He moved to a different league, a tougher one. He needs to settle and needs time to be integrated. From what i’ve seen from him when he played at united, he is a good player with very good movement off the ball. He is in a situation where already lots of questions where asked upon signing him. Not because of any quality issues, but whether we really needed him with Bruno around and performing as he is.

what vdb needs to do is keep focused, perform well in trainings and try to adapt to CM role which he does play. I see him as a long term replacement of pogba.

what fans should do is continue caring about him as he hasn’t underperformed. He has also been very professional. He needs a good run of games before we make a final judgement. This hasn’t happened yet

Lennon7

But how is that going to happen when James and Mata get the manager’s call and not Fonny? And Fred and McTominay, who have put in some fine shifts this season and they do offer something we don’t think Donny does? And Pogba, who on his day is pure class, but has had few such days this season (though he’s been outstanding the last two weeks), is preferred? And Matic. And Bruno who’s of course on another planet.

A midfielder of Donny’s proven caliber can’t succeed when he’s given only garbage time or league cup cameos.
All of this is just silly logic, to be honest. Just because players are being picked ahead of him, for whatever reason, doesn’t mean that in the next year VdB can kick on and get a foothold in the starting 11 and it certainly doesn’t mean he should be sold just because players are currently doing better than him.

Fred was garbage not long ago, now look at him. Pereira was starting a tonne of games not long ago, now he’s fecked off.

We can’t be getting rid of international footballers in their first 6 months just because they’re not currently in favour.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
We need to build him up physically and I think he can be a good 8 for us using his intelligence and good use of the ball to be a facilitator for the team.

Don't think he'll ever be good enough to play as a 10 at this level. Doesn't have enough athletically or technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.