g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Pawelek

It's not hard to understand. Van De Beek starts if Bruno or Pogba are not playing or starting. If either Pogba or Bruno get injured, the back ups are pretty dire.
Also subs for either Pogba or Bruno in the last 25 minutes when they're playing 2 matches per week; which is most weeks.

Keyser

He must be about to sign for someone. You don't leave players out of friendlies unless a deal is very close.
If we do end up signing him, I think my favourite bit will be the quietness with which it's been done, not a word for weeks, suddenly he's left out of a friendly

Means we are doing business quietly and professionally

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Assuming we move Lingard and Periera on, beginning the new season with Pogba, Bruno, Matic, Fred, Mctominay and VDB as our midfield options is promising indeed.

It's been years since we had such a competitive midfield.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Good old Inter Milan to the rescue dont rule it out. I dont think Van De Beek is our first choice
Think we will buy him. Rumors from January, sudden new links (pretty reliable on Dutch side), fits what Ole is looking from a player in terms of mentality, versatile and a very good price quoted.

Now, whether he is/was our first choice for midfield is really hard to say.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
At least now, if spurs rival us for any player they don't have CL football to use in their favour. They also have the most miserable man in football as their manager which won't appeal to quite a lot of modern players IMO

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Think we will buy him. Rumors from January, sudden new links (pretty reliable on Dutch side), fits what Ole is looking from a player in terms of mentality, versatile and a very good price quoted.

Now, whether he is/was our first choice for midfield is really hard to say.
He's 23 so it makes sense, he would develop with Bruno and Pogba. He's composed, has good vision and technique, good player but I'm honestly not sure of his ceiling, Herrera was also a good tidy player I have some reservations but obviously he's an upgrade on depth at the very least.

flappyjay

Imagine being able to field Pogba, Bruno and Matic on the weekend and then Vdb, Fred and McT against some shit team during the week.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
He's composed, has good vision and technique, good player but I'm honestly not sure of his ceiling, Herrera was also a good tidy player I have some reservations but obviously he's an upgrade on depth at the very least.
Herrera did come to my mind immediately when I think of him. Obviously, de Beek has more goalscoring potential, but there are quite a few similarities.

Do agree, he would, at the very least, be serious upgrade on our depth with some questions about his ceiling. Think he is the kind of player who is also pretty dependent on how the whole team functions around him. At this price, I think he is worth a punt.

RUCK4444

Tend to trust the people who watch him regularly, and they're full of praise for him.

It's a no brainer signing, and if anything too smart for our usual activity over the last 5 or so years.
To be clear I’m not saying we shouldn’t get him, just pointing out that he doesn’t really get into our starting 11.

He’s not a CDM so doesn’t challenge Matic, which is the most pressing midfield issue we have, and he’s not better then either Pogba or Bruno for their positions.

So whilst I want him for depth I can’t see him having a particularly big impact for us other than for rotation for those two players, which is enough of a reason for me to back the move so long as we don’t leave ourselves short for Sancho.

RedRoach

I think folks should keep in mind that all of Anderson (didn't work out so well), Carrick and Herrera played much further forward for their previous clubs before signing for United. The fact he plays as a 8/10 now doesn't mean that will be his position at United. Hell even Scholes started further forward at 8/10 and moved further back to 6 during his career. The question is whether he has the skills to play in midfield in terms of passing, ball retention and so on.

Maybe the club have simply identified he is a well rounded player that could cover several positions in midfield. Just because he is coming here doesn't mean he has to play in Bruno or Pogba's position. The important thing is that we have depth in order to compete.

RashyForPM

Based on what again ?
That he’s been poor at LW and RW for the most part this season, and would never work at striker in the cut and thrust of the Premier League. Therefore, I can only think of one more position which he can feasibly play in (see Young and Valencia). If he fails, then it’s time to leave as two seasons is more than enough time to adapt.

kirk buttercup

why is there always a question of where would the player fit? Do people not watch a full season of football Pogba hardly featured before Covid and him and bruno looked completely shattered by the end of the season . We need depth and we need to rotate this one is a no brainer for me . He is a very good footballer who would play alot at United .

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
why is there always a question of where would the player fit? Do people not watch a full season of football Pogba hardly featured before Covid and him and bruno looked completely shattered by the end of the season . We need depth and we need to rotate this one is a no brainer for me . He is a very good footballer who would play alot at United .
Not many on this forum understand this. Maybe it's the whole video game culture where you can always play your best players without them tiring.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s the most frustrating thing about this place. Every time we’re linked to someone the terms guaranteed starter and why would they join will be said within 6 posts. Can we have a sticky at the top of every page listing our 2008 squad? Half of the people on here would have seizures.

GlasgowCeltic

The small amount I've seen he's reminded me of Ramsey, good off the ball and linkup play but not particularly creative or authoritative, a higher class Lingard I suppose, would that be a fair summary?

Leonzo1

The small amount I've seen he's reminded me of Ramsey, good off the ball and linkup play but not particularly creative or authoritative, a higher class Lingard I suppose, would that be a fair summary?
Yes my thoughts exactly. I would have said a much better Lingard but the Ramsey comparison is very accurate.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some Ajax fans were speculating the deal is done but can't be confirmed until Monday when trading starts.

manuchamp88

Here's Ajax' van de Beek song. We should bring that too when he comes.

Song starts to take shape around 0:14
I would prefer something centred around Dawson's Creek, but hey, to each their own.

passing-wind

I think if people are looking for a comparison he's in that Lampard mould positionally of using good movement in pockets of spaces to advance the attacking midfield. He doesn't strike me as having the technical prowess of say a Grealish who is very good at running with the ball in close quarters. Also doesn't strike me as a fantastic passer of the ball having seen a KDB comparison in the thread. I think his profile as a player is more Dele Alli than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.