Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

Thats the weird thing even on fifa you can't get away with weak depth, players do get tired, injured and request a break when they are fatigued. I thinks it's just people who are disappointed their Muppet signing seems to not be a serious target.
I think it’s based on when they play Online seasons mode where you can play strongest team every game and no one gets injured or suspended haha.

If only they realised how important squad depth is, they would know we would never have won a treble without the depth we had. This used to be our “squad” options below. None of them were starting eleven players.

Wes Brown
Phil Neville
Henning Berg
David May
Jordi Cryuff
Nicky Butt
Jesper Blomqvist
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham

That’s what you call strength in depth if you want to challenge for honours.

Lee565

Would you like another season of Lingard, Pereira et al?
No but I would like the money to be used on sorting out strengthening our rw or defensive midfield position before buying a midfielder as a back up to pogba or Fernandes.

It's quite simple that actually buying a starting 11 player automatically strengthens our depth rather than buying a player for depth as that doesnt improve our current first 11.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Seen a couple of videos. Whats not to like?! All action box to box midfielder with excellent all round skills and stamina. Very good first touch in tight spaces and under pressure, where he seems easily able to outmanoeuvre into new space. Seems to have a good dribble and final pass too. I love how often he is found high up the pitch in these highlights.

Reminds me a lot of Gerrard or Keane , would be joining around the same age as Keane too. Looks defensively alot tidier then Pogba, What excites me most is he is Ajax trained and will only get better.

Anyone know what formation Ajax play? Is he a classic no 6 for them? Can he also cover for Matic?

@Adnan - what do you think?

Last edited:

Chief123

I dont get this transfer unless we are going to change our formation to say a diamond midfield but that aint going to happen.
As soon as we get an injury or a suspension in midfield then it will all make sense. It’s not really that hard to understand to be honest.

L1nk

No but I would like the money to be used on sorting out strengthening our rw or defensive midfield position before buying a midfielder as a back up to pogba or Fernandes.

It's quite simple that actually buying a starting 11 player automatically strengthens our depth rather than buying a player for depth as that doesnt improve our current first 11.
the issue is that apparently to improve our first 11, we need to spend over 100million on that player for the RW, otherwise everyone here is going to be disappointed and pissed off as hell, and it seems obviously we just don't have the money to have a big blowout on a single player, hopefully i'm wrong, but all signs seem to point to this. So i'd rather they improve the squad if nothing else.

welshwingwizard

What if the more expensive option is because of nationality?
That's a fair argument. But I disagree that the sancho price is because he is English. Rather he is just that good.

And for Grealish it isn't being English but being premier proven and buying from an english club that make it so expensive. But I'd argue we cant afford mistakes so getting premier league proven is sometimes worth the extra.

Not that I think we should just pay up. Although I would easily pay the sancho price. Think it is a good deal considering you could get 10 years from him.

Chief123

The lack of understanding about having quality depth is so embarrassing on here, just shows how bad we’ve been for so long.
I start to wonder whether majority of members here are 14 year old Fifa players.

RUCK4444

Would rephrase that and say squad option. No way Pogba and Bruno play every game. Games will be shared out
Yeah meant the same, but those two will play every game they are fit with them only being dropped for rotation. Which effectively puts him in the bench quite a bit.

Still need that depth though. From what I’ve seen of him he’s got a good engine and press which is a good option for us.

Mainoldo

The lack of understanding about having quality depth is so embarrassing on here, just shows how bad we’ve been for so long.
We’ve had the top 2 squads in depth for probably the past 4 years. I don’t get how you think people suddenly forget the importance of that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Yeah meant the same, but those two will play every game they are fit with them only being dropped for rotation. Which effectively puts him in the bench quite a bit.
Still need that depth though. From what I’ve seen of him he’s got a good engine and press which is a good option for us.
To start with yes.
Buts he is only 23: plenty of time for him to stake his place and genuinely challenge both for their place. I like his sense of ambition and self belief.
Seems like a classic SAF signing. Get someone who is on the up, that we can mould into our own world class star.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
t
We’ve had the top 2 squads in depth for probably the past 4 years. I don’t get how you think people suddenly forget the importance of that.
Who exactly ? We have lacked good bench options atleast in midfield for years now.

RUCK4444

I think it’s based on when they play Online seasons mode where you can play strongest team every game and no one gets injured or suspended haha.

If only they realised how important squad depth is, they would know we would never have won a treble without the depth we had. This used to be our “squad” options below. None of them were starting eleven players.

Wes Brown
Phil Neville
Henning Berg
David May
Jordi Cryuff
Nicky Butt
Jesper Blomqvist
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham

We also, ya know, had an elite starting 11.

Liverpool have shown what big money on key starting 11 players can bring you, even with a relatively thin squad.

The top players we sign as a side effect then bench the players we have currently.

You should always use the bulk of your funds into the best you can get to improve the starting 11, you don’t have to be a 14 yr old Fifa player to believe that, I’m a 35 yr old Fifa player. ;)

Mainoldo

t

Who exactly ? We have lacked good bench options atleast in midfield for years now.
Hererra, McTominay, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic. Then we brought Fred.

That’s 6 options for two positions. Sorry if I’ve missed something.

RUCK4444

To start with yes.
Buts he is only 23: plenty of time for him to stake his place and genuinely challenge both for their place. I like his sense of ambition and self belief.
Seems like a classic SAF signing. Get someone who is on the up, that we can mould into our own world class star.
Yeah I agree on the bolded bit for sure. I do like his attitude and coming from Ajax he will have been coached very well.

cyberman

We also, ya know, had an elite starting 11.

Liverpool have shown what big money on key starting 11 players can bring you, even with a relatively thin squad.

The top players we sign as a side effect then bench the players we have currently.

You should always the bulk of your funds into the best you can get to improve the starting 11, you don’t have to be a 14 yr old Fifa player to believe that, I’m a 35 yr old Fifa player. ;)
Your very example has a 50m midfielder on the bench

The Red Thinker

I dont get this transfer unless we are going to change our formation to say a diamond midfield but that aint going to happen.
Look at the super clubs of the world and look at the benches. Big clubs with big ambitions have quality on and off the pitch. The drop off from first team to the bench at United is too big and hence, this transfer is desperately needed. A player who can play 6 AND 8. That's rare.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Wes Brown
Phil Neville
Henning Berg
David May
Jordi Cryuff
Nicky Butt
Jesper Blomqvist
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Teddy Sheringham

2008 list was just as impressive, Ji Sung Park never even made the bench in 2008 CL final.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Hererra, McTominay, Fellaini, Pogba, Matic. Then we brought Fred.

That’s 6 options for two positions. Sorry if I’ve missed something.
Well, quality has been the problem though right?
Even now, we have them in bench but not enough quality.

diarm

Numbers and wage bill does not equate to quality.

City, Bayern and PSG have quality depth. Chelsea are building it this summer.

We have no quality depth at right back, left back, centre back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, right wing, left wing or centre forward.

We have numbers in several of those positions yes, but players like Dalot, Jones, James, Lingard, Pereira and Ighalo are nowhere near the same quality of the back up at those clubs I listed above.

Central midfield, with Fred and McTominay behind Pogba and goalkeeper are the only two positions you could say we have quality back up for.

Lee565

the issue is that apparently to improve our first 11, we need to spend over 100million on that player for the RW, otherwise everyone here is going to be disappointed and pissed off as hell, and it seems obviously we just don't have the money to have a big blowout on a single player, hopefully i'm wrong, but all signs seem to point to this. So i'd rather they improve the squad if nothing else.
I cant buy this idea we are strapped for cash when a damn promotion side like leeds are now looking to buy de paul of udinese for 30-35 million which makes their spending spree this summer to already be around 100 million.

And as I said we could do with sorting out a 1st choice defensive midfielder option seeing as we have resorted to heavily relying on matic as our current 1st choice.

PitTon

Seriously we are getting him? If I am a football player, this guy style and Fletcher are what I hate to play against. One is there to harass you all game and in this case, you deal with someone not only hard working and fight for every ball but so calm, composed and flair when needed. Looking at him with his head up when he's on the run is so relieved.
Ps: if it really happens then Blind must have been the factor. And, Get well soon man

Last edited:

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Seemingly going after a number of targets gets players/agents/clubs panicking. I would think one of three(Grealish, DvB, Thiago) midfield targets will come to fruition.

RUCK4444

Your very example has a 50m midfielder on the bench
Yes but my point being, in relation to the posters example of our treble winning squad, in 99’ we didn’t have a gaping hole at RW after neglecting it for a decade.

It’s basic common sense to secure top players in much needed positions within the starting 11 before you start spending the ‘supposedly limited’ budget we have on players who are not as good as others we already have in their position.

It’s like buying a spare tyre when your missing a feckin steering wheel.

Mainoldo

Well, quality has been the problem though right?
Even now, we have them in bench but not enough quality.
Quality on the bench or quality in the 11? I don’t see what’s the new obsession with a need quality 15 man team. Yes it would be nice to bring Greenwood and Bruno on off the bench. But very few teams have that privilege.

VDB would be a good signing but again unless the first team is going to improve we can have the best bench in the world quality or quantity. Won’t mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.