Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Has anyone got any highlights of him playing as the deepest midfielder. Or do any of our eredivise fans know of a game he played as the deepest midfielder for the full game?

Mainoldo

Numbers and wage bill does not equate to quality.

City, Bayern and PSG have quality depth. Chelsea are building it this summer.

We have no quality depth at right back, left back, centre back, defensive midfield, attacking midfield, right wing, left wing or centre forward.

We have numbers in several of those positions yes, but players like Dalot, Jones, James, Lingard, Pereira and Ighalo are nowhere near the same quality of the back up at those clubs I listed above.

Central midfield, with Fred and McTominay behind Pogba and goalkeeper are the only two positions you could say we have quality back up for.
We don’t need it. We just need to improve on your first 11. We need a RW a improvement on Matic and a Left CB. It’s nice to improve on Lingard and co. But that’s not how you build squads. Sheringham and Solskjær became good subs because we brought players better than them.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We'll be getting Sancho as well as a midfielders by the looks of this, a lot of silenced moaners when the window shuts.
I heard on the grapevine that Sancho was actually just a smokescreen for VDB. For reals, yah.

Make of that what you will.

K_Ash

I would be happy with the signing, but I highly doubt with the Euro2021 on the radar that DVB will sign to be a sub.
Folks around here don't like hearing "Diamond midfield" then let's call it a 4-1-2-1-2 with Bruno playing 10 behind Rashford and Martial. Baby Greenwood as the super Sub. With a Midfield 3 of Paul-DvB-Fred(Matic).

Paul must be at 8 and Bruno at 10 to fully exploit our potential. Paul would have the freedom to drop off for those long-range passes (and move up-think that play against Eric Dier) same with with Bruno dropping to 8 allowing him to run with the ball for those long range shot.
Diamond-midfield Oops I meant to say 4-1-2-1-2 maximizes our potential (until we sign Sancho)

Reactions: Sultan

cyberman

Yes but my point being, in relation to the posters example of our treble winning squad, in 99’ we didn’t have a gaping hole at RW after neglecting it for a decade.

It’s basic common sense to secure top players in much needed positions within the starting 11 before you start spending the ‘supposedly limited’ budget we have on players who are not as good as others we already have in their position.

It’s like buying a spare tyre when your missing a feckin steering wheel.
Fans were shouting for a midfield partner for Keane for a few years though? That was a gaping hole at the time and we still had 4 top strikers up front.
We have one of Europes top young players on the right side now. Hell with VDB coming in we can now play a split striker formation to a high level in case if an injury to any of our forward 3.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He’s potentially better than all of our midfielders bar Pogba (on his day) and Bruno. Why would anyone be opposed to this?

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
I would be happy with the signing, but I highly doubt with the Euro2021 on the radar that DVB will sign to be a sub.
Folks around here don't like hearing "Diamond midfield" then let's call it a 4-1-2-1-2 with Bruno playing 10 behind Rashford and Martial. Baby Greenwood as the super Sub. With a Midfield 3 of Paul-DvB-Fred(Matic).

Paul must be at 8 and Bruno at 10 to fully exploit our potential. Paul would have the freedom to drop off for those long-range passes (and move up-think that play against Eric Dier) same with with Bruno dropping to 8 allowing him to run with the ball for those long range shot.
Diamond-midfield Oops I meant to say 4-1-2-1-2 maximizes our potential (until we sign Sancho)
There'll be 2 games a week most weeks this season so I'm sure he'll get starts. Pogba and Bruno were run into the ground last season.

croadyman

Seen a couple of videos. Whats not to like?! All action box to box midfielder with excellent all round skills and stamina. Very good first touch in tight spaces and under pressure, where he seems easily able to outmanoeuvre into new space. Seems to have a good dribble and final pass too. I love how often he is found high up the pitch in these highlights.

Reminds me a lot of Gerrard or Keane , would be joining around the same age as Keane too. Looks defensively alot tidier then Pogba, What excites me most is he is Ajax trained and will only get better.

Anyone know what formation Ajax play? Is he a classic no 6 for them? Can he also cover for Matic?

@Adnan - what do you think?
Favourite bit is either that lovely pass behind the defence at 8.41 or that cheeky dink pass around 9.11 on the second video

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's a fair argument. But I disagree that the sancho price is because he is English. Rather he is just that good.

And for Grealish it isn't being English but being premier proven and buying from an english club that make it so expensive. But I'd argue we cant afford mistakes so getting premier league proven is sometimes worth the extra.

Not that I think we should just pay up. Although I would easily pay the sancho price. Think it is a good deal considering you could get 10 years from him.
I am referring to Grealish tbh. Grealish is a decent player. However he's not worth 60m-80m. Also his best football came as a left sided inside forward. I feel sorry for both Maddison and Grealish. They are being priced out by their own clubs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Quality on the bench or quality in the 11? I don’t see what’s the new obsession with a need quality 15 man team. Yes it would be nice to bring Greenwood and Bruno on off the bench. But very few teams have that privilege.

VDB would be a good signing but again unless the first team is going to improve we can have the best bench in the world quality or quantity. Won’t mean nothing.
It has been a problem forever. While I agree, first team is equally important both are mutually exclusive . You Still can improve the first team.

croadyman

I am referring to Grealish tbh. Grealish is a decent player. However he's not worth 60m-80m. Also his best football came as a left sided inside forward. I feel sorry for both Maddison and Grealish. They are being priced out by their own clubs.
I am a huge Grealish fan but certainly can't argue with the fact that Van Der Beek offers us more all over the midfield area

vanderpants

I don't get this ? So is he coming here to sit on our bench? No way will he start before pogba and Bruno. Undoubted a good player and I'd love to fit rid of Jesse and his mates but I just can't see him being happy sat on the bench ?

Lennon7

I don't get this ? So is he coming here to sit on our bench? No way will he start before pogba and Bruno. Undoubted a good player and I'd love to fit rid of Jesse and his mates but I just can't see him being happy sat on the bench ?
We’d actually be able to rotate between quality players and drop out of form stars if needed. Squad depth is something we’ve sorely lacked for too long now.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Do you see Matic, Pogba and Bruno playing every minute of this season?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I guess the narrative will need to change to "he needs to stop looking only at English, and Norwegian and Dutch players, with the odd Portugese bloke"

red4ever 79

We’d actually be able to rotate between quality players and drop out of form stars if needed. Squad depth is something we’ve sorely lacked for too long now.
We should start banning posters who cant understand this concept. It was the same in the Sancho thread, oh but why do we need Sancho, what will happen to Greenwood. Fecking idiots on here

Lennon7

We should start banning posters who cant understand this concept. It was the same in the Sancho thread, oh but why do we need Sancho, what will happen to Greenwood. Fecking idiots on here
Aye like football is that one dimensional. It’s so important - how frustrating is it watching players drop out of form because they can’t be fecked? Having a top young talent wanting your spot won’t allow that complacency any more. The likes of Mata and Pereira don’t offer the challenge, with Fred and McTominay offering something different entirely to VDB.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Imagine if we hadn’t signed 4 players after winning the league in 2007 wondering where they’d play. Especially Tevez and Hargreaves were crucial in winning the PL and CL the following season. But back then there were a lot of discussions especially people asking where Tevez would play as he was similar to Rooney.
Having decent options on the bench is a need for us, not even a luxury

red4ever 79

I don't know a great deal about this lad, is he much of an upgrade on on Matic and Fred?
Ye he's a very good player. High work rate, technically very good. Gets forward into dangerous positons. Does a lot of running off the ball which creates space for the attackers. Will provide excellent squad depth for the Pogba/Brun positions.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I think he would be a very good singing. Exactly what we need when it comes to strength in depth, and can cover multiple positions. Pogba & Bruno can't play every game, and if they play most then we will see what we saw at the end of last year, fatigue leading to bad performances.

Finally, after a quiet fortnight, it seems things are starting to pick up in this window.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
I would never claim to be a football expert, but it’s not hard to grasp that one man in one position can’t play every minute of every single game, unless perhaps he’s the GK. Even then there are always potential injuries and suspensions.

red4ever 79

Aye like football is that one dimensional. It’s so important - how frustrating is it watching players drop out of form because they can’t be fecked? Having a top young talent wanting your spot won’t allow that complacency any more. The likes of Mata and Pereira don’t offer the challenge, with Fred and McTominay offering something different entirely to VDB.
All for this transfer. Boosts the quality and depth in midfield and hopefully another nail in the coffin for having to rely on the likes of Pereria, Mata and Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.