Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

There are some similarities in their play, but mostly in their appearance, so the comparison is easily made.

However, as a player, Donny is miles ahead of Davy Klaassen. Most Ajax fans were actually pretty happy to see Klaassen leave, as he was thought to be too limited technically for the level Ajax want to be at. Klaassen was extremely important in Ajax' pressing play and he had a knack of scoring important goals, but other than that he would go missing for large parts of the game.

Now Donny is on another level to Klaassen. he's equally important in the pressing play of Ajax, but he is much more influential in the overall game. Contrary to Klaassen, Donny is involved in the build up play, setting up attacks, making himself available for the pass. Klaassen was useless in that aspect. that's why Donny has been played in front of the defence as well as #10, which would never have been possible for Klaassen. Donny's first touch isn't fancy, but brilliant in its functionality. He reads the game well. His workrate is amazing. Donny gets in the box himself quite regularly and you can count on him to score 10-15 goals in all competitions, in a full season.

My only only doubt is, whether he can pick up the level of the premierleague. I would think he can, as he was brilliant in Ajax' 2018/19 CL season. But, given the intensity and speed of the PL, I just hope that his strenghts hold up. Time will tell I guess, but I have high hopes for him and will be closely following United. It's a shame that he is leaving, but he has been with Ajax for 15 years and I think most fans are happy for him with this move.

United was my favourite foreign team growing up, but to be entirely honest it was pretty hard to like United for the last 10 years (and yes, I include the last Fergie years in here as well, in which I found very little United games to be enjoyable to watch). This new team you're building, with Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood and hopefully Donny will at the very least be entertaining. Whether it is good enough to win top prizes still remains to be seen ofcourse.
Still a chance of adding Sancho to that too but has reached a real stalemate at the moment

Strelok

There are some similarities in their play, but mostly in their appearance, so the comparison is easily made.

However, as a player, Donny is miles ahead of Davy Klaassen. Most Ajax fans were actually pretty happy to see Klaassen leave, as he was thought to be too limited technically for the level Ajax want to be at. Klaassen was extremely important in Ajax' pressing play and he had a knack of scoring important goals, but other than that he would go missing for large parts of the game.

Now Donny is on another level to Klaassen. he's equally important in the pressing play of Ajax, but he is much more influential in the overall game. Contrary to Klaassen, Donny is involved in the build up play, setting up attacks, making himself available for the pass. Klaassen was useless in that aspect. that's why Donny has been played in front of the defence as well as #10, which would never have been possible for Klaassen. Donny's first touch isn't fancy, but brilliant in its functionality. He reads the game well. His workrate is amazing. Donny gets in the box himself quite regularly and you can count on him to score 10-15 goals in all competitions, in a full season.

My only only doubt is, whether he can pick up the level of the premierleague. I would think he can, as he was brilliant in Ajax' 2018/19 CL season. But, given the intensity and speed of the PL, I just hope that his strenghts hold up. Time will tell I guess, but I have high hopes for him and will be closely following United. It's a shame that he is leaving, but he has been with Ajax for 15 years and I think most fans are happy for him with this move.

United was my favourite foreign team growing up, but to be entirely honest it was pretty hard to like United for the last 10 years (and yes, I include the last Fergie years in here as well, in which I found very little United games to be enjoyable to watch). This new team you're building, with Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, Martial, Greenwood and hopefully Donny will at the very least be entertaining. Whether it is good enough to win top prizes still remains to be seen ofcourse.
Finally some words from an Ajax fan. Look like a promising signing I think.

Welcome mate.

roseguy64

To be clear I’m not saying we shouldn’t get him, just pointing out that he doesn’t really get into our starting 11.

He’s not a CDM so doesn’t challenge Matic, which is the most pressing midfield issue we have, and he’s not better then either Pogba or Bruno for their positions.

So whilst I want him for depth I can’t see him having a particularly big impact for us other than for rotation for those two players, which is enough of a reason for me to back the move so long as we don’t leave ourselves short for Sancho.
All our transfer links so far suggest we don't see a DM as a priority. It's clearly a CM/AM type, Sancho or RW and a CB. Then maybe a ST or FB or DM.

roseguy64

Not many on this forum understand this. Maybe it's the whole video game culture where you can always play your best players without them tiring.
That is not true. In both FM and FIFA you need to rotate players. You can always play your best players but you'll suffer if you do. They're trying to actually mirror real life.

croadyman

All our transfer links so far suggest we don't see a DM as a priority. It's clearly a CM/AM type, Sancho or RW and a CB. Then maybe a ST or FB or DM.
My gut feeling all along has been

This summer

RW
CB
AM/CM

Next summer

DM
LB
ST

Obviously we are losing Ighalo in January so you would think we would go for one then,however don't think that there will be many decent options available then

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Great analysis. From the very little I’ve seen of him, I agree, especially about his power and stamina which will help us press and retrieve.
What does that mean for McT, Fred and Matic? Why did we give Matic a new contract?!
Your guess is as good as mine mate.

Strelok

How many times did he play in midfield for us I wonder, before LVG the lunatic converted him to a CB.
He did start for us a few times as DM. But he was too weak to play there, got bullied all the time. And LVG was obsessed with a left footed CB.

DSG

Great post. Thanks for the analysis re Donny.

P.S. You forgot to mention Sancho (am I jinxing it? Who am I kidding, Ed will never pull it off :-(

Riz

That is not true. In both FM and FIFA you need to rotate players. You can always play your best players but you'll suffer if you do. They're trying to actually mirror real life.
In single player modes yes, but the vast majority of people who play football video games are playing FIFA and the vast majority of those are playing ultimate team exclusively. In that mode there’s no real need to rotate players so everyone’s focus is on acquiring the best 11.

Shark

@NotShark
In single player modes yes, but the vast majority of people who play football video games are playing FIFA and the vast majority of those are playing ultimate team exclusively. In that mode there’s no real need to rotate players so everyone’s focus is on acquiring the best 11.
Ultimate Team is surely for kids, a complete scam.

Nori-

I haven't seen VDB play apart from a few snippets here and there.

Would he be cover for a attacking midfielder like Pogba or is he more of a defensive midfielder like Matic?

If he's defensive then I guess we don't need Fred anymore?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
They never claim to though and they are quite good at times for getting to the bs source of a lot for gossip.
They do wind up though with click bait titles and the like. Their pieces are normally good but they don’t outright deny they’re an ITK type account either.

Riz

Ultimate Team is surely for kids, a complete scam.
When it first came out like 10 years ago it was an original concept brilliantly executed and was arguably the key factor in FIFA pulling away from PES and completely dominating ever since.

I agree with you now though, it’s become a bit of a parody of itself which just seems to be hell bent on making as much money as possible regardless of adding actual improvements. Still insanely popular though and not just amongst kids.

Last edited:

roseguy64

That's a good point. EA loves to push Ultimate Team in Madden and FIFA neglecting the other modes.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I don't believe in the Spurs rumors. They don't even play in the CL next season. And they don't offer good wages.

Madrid or Barcelona seem off, imo he'll sign for us. The deal would be announced pretty soon this week I think.
Newsnow is down for me and has been for several hours now for some strange reason so I haven't seen Spurs name linked to him, but I think they are in the market for a midfielder and Spurs and Ajax(similar outlooks!)have done quite a lot of business over the years.

I would be very surprised if he isn't announced as a United player before 12:00 tomorrow.

croadyman

Newsnow is down for me and has been for several hours now for some strange reason so I haven't seen Spurs name linked to him, but I think they are in the market for a midfielder and Spurs and Ajax(similar outlooks!)have done quite a lot of business over the years.

I would be very surprised if he isn't announced as a United player before 12:00 tomorrow.
Liking the bold prediction

Andersons Dietician

How many times did he play in midfield for us I wonder, before LVG the lunatic converted him to a CB.
Think he converted him to a CB after he proved he just couldn’t keep up in midfield. The image of Rooney sprinting past him screaming at him trying to get back at the guy Blind just got left by is burned in to my brain. Pretty sure after that game he never played another game for us in midfield. He was shocking for us when given the chance in midfield

DuruttiColumn

Looks like we are singing him because he’s available at a bargain price. He would cost 60-70 mil if it wasn’t for COVID

Not a priority position, but looks like a good investment.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Main Dutch news outlet (NOS) said Donny will choose for United and they expect "the deal will be done very soon". Bold of them to think we can quickly take care of a transfer, but at least it's somewhat hopeful news. Not the biggest fan of this signing but with the lack of depth and our passive approach on the market it's at least something.

Status
Not open for further replies.