Donny van de Beek | van de Beek's father: "[Moving to United] a dream come true."

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleman

I think VDB's arrival most likely means Fred is being displaced.

Central midfielder, all-action, leaning offensive.

For all of Fred's enthusiasm and dynamism, the volatility in his technique means he's a fairly unreliable passer at timers, and his strategic positioning is lacking at times. I'm still concerned we need a Matic understudy/replacement more than another CM, which is appreciated.

DM/RW is still our biggest problems, so this transfer seems more opportunistic than anything.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
NOS is the Holland version of BBC, this is on like Donkey Kong :drool:

Rolaholic

Very reliable supposedly. It says he’s chosen Manchester United as his next club.
They're the largest news source in Holland apparently and broke Ziyech to Chelsea first earlier this year.

They say the transfer will be completed soon

Grande

Jordi Cruyff?
All Time Dutch United 11:

Edwin van der Sar
Tim Fosu-Menza Jaap Stam Daley Blind Nicky Buttner
Arnold Mühren Ray van der Gouw*
Jordi Cruyff Memphis Depay
Ruud van Nistelrooij Robin van Persie

Quite a nice eleven, could probably win the Europa League with this team, for all it’s defensive deficits.

* Donny van de Beek if he joins

RoLo

How soon our fans forget the massive contribution Nick de Butt made during our glory years (sigh)
Most have even forgotten Butt's song judging on the excitement for the "Van De Beek song that Ajax fans have made up" comments a few pages back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I honestly think too many fans think it’s like playing FIFA. As if a player is useless if they don’t get into your first eleven. People don’t understand the concept of “squads”. Look how many minutes Lingard, Pereria and Mata got this season. They aren’t first eleven but they played a lot in total.

The likes of Mahrez, Bernardo, Jesus, Foden must all be useless players too as they didn’t get into the starting eleven last few years.
All Time Dutch United 11:

Edwin van der Sar
Tim Fosu-Menza Jaap Stam Daley Blind Nicky Buttner
Arnold Mühren Ray van der Gouw*
Jordi Cruyff Memphis Depay
Ruud van Nistelrooij Robin van Persie

Quite a nice eleven, could probably win the Europa League with this team, for all it’s defensive deficits.

* Donny van de Beek if he joins
Like having a goalie in midfield for now? :lol:

sp_107

He is a fighter guys, the way he made it to the top level in Holland is no mean feat for all the hurdles he faced in his early life.

I read a story about him somewhere and it was very inspiring, We need players and characters like this

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I think VDB's arrival most likely means Fred is being displaced.

Central midfielder, all-action, leaning offensive.

For all of Fred's enthusiasm and dynamism, the volatility in his technique means he's a fairly unreliable passer at timers, and his strategic positioning is lacking at times. I'm still concerned we need a Matic understudy/replacement more than another CM, which is appreciated.

DM/RW is still our biggest problems, so this transfer seems more opportunistic than anything.
Not necessarily as squad depth is important more so in positions players are most likely to pick up knocks. And I think if Ole is thinking of moving him on he'll give him a game or three at left-back first.

SSSSnake

So we still ain’t put a bid in. The longer this goes on I get the feeling another club will come in....

sp_107

I haven't seen VDB play apart from a few snippets here and there.

Would he be cover for a attacking midfielder like Pogba or is he more of a defensive midfielder like Matic?

If he's defensive then I guess we don't need Fred anymore?
He is well equipped to cover Pogba/Bruno as far as I know but if we come across stubborn teams who are difficult to break down, then we can play VDB, Pogba, Bruno midfield

mu4c_20le

Romano milking this a bit as he clearly isn't the frontrunner on this transfer

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
So we still ain’t put a bid in. The longer this goes on I get the feeling another club will come in....
Don't worry mate, we'll get this one done, the media have gone all in on us being his preferred choice

RoLo

My short-term memory is fecked, was gonna click on that link, but then forgot to. A few pages back was it?
It was just a video of Ajax fans singing the Nicky Butt song with Van De Beek's name being greeted as some feat of originality.

I would be happy with this signing, Grealish was my first choice but its clear Villa want too much money. €40 would be good business.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Very reliable supposedly. It says he’s chosen Manchester United as his next club.
NOS are like the BBC of the Netherlands. So I'd say they are reliable.

Chief123

For those wondering why we are spending money on a player who is not a guaranteed starter....I completely agree with the sentiment that we should be looking to bring players in who would get into our first eleven and then demote one of the existing eleven to the bench which would in effect give us strength in depth.

However, the situation with VDB is slightly different. He is coming in to give us depth in Pogba and Bruno’s position. It is clearly a position we needed a player because the backup for those positions is a massive drop off a cliff in standard.

If we were to bring in a player to displace Pogba and Bruno from the first eleven then it would have to be a tier 1 player of the likes of De Bruyne. That was never going to happen and would be far too high cost to improve an area which doesn’t need massive improvement. Bruno and Pogba being two of our strongest players, VDB is a brilliant signing and value for money.

He gives us strong depth and the difference if Pogba and/or Bruno are unavailable will not be significant enough to affect our performances. He could very well demote one of those two to the bench for periods of the season if their form drops. He can certainly provide good competition for their places.

No doubt we need strength in other positions such as RW and CB but I don’t think we are doing deals in order of priority. I’m still of the belief Sancho will arrive even if he’s dragged through the door on the final day of the window. And we will eventually find a young talented centre back.

Status
Not open for further replies.