dream final?

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Ideally a Brazil-Argentina final would be a no brainer but I really don't rate the current Brazil team. Argies still have it in them to spark into life on a big occasion, just can't see anything else than tumescent wins for Brazil. For that reason I would prefer an all European affair.

Order of preference would be like-

Germany-Holland
Brazil-Argentina
Germany-Argentina
Brazil-Holland

I think it will be a Germany-Argentina final though. Predicted that from the start.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
The game would have nothing but fouls and dirty play. It wouldn't be a game of football

Cheat Mexico? Any team would've struggled against Costa Rica the way they were set up. Holland did hit the post three times and were unlucky not to score. You sound bitter.
every team in the group stages parked the bus against argentina, but they managed to win in the 90 minutes, still everyone said that argentina was shite, now when the same happens to the dutchs, suddenly is ok not to score a goal in 120 minutes

and don't tell me that Costa Rica is a power house or something like that, because i've already had that thought and laughed my eyes off

Skills

Snitch
Netherlands vs Germany. We can watch Brazil vs Argentina in 3rd place play-off.

Skills

Snitch
Potentially two huge rivalries, I hope one comes up.
Germany and Argentina might have a bit of unfinished business as well. They played in the 86 and 90 finals winning one each. A trilogy would be pretty special.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
It's got to be Argentina vs Brazil. In the Maracana, World Cup Final. Struggling to think of something on the international stage that could be bigger. Spain vs Portugal at the Bernabou in a World Cup Final? England vs Germany at Wembley?

Germany vs Holland in Berlin/Amsterdam or Germany vs Italy in Rome or Berlin would be much bigger (even though the Wembley stadium has more prestige). But Holland/Italy vs Germany is bigger than Germany vs England.

Germany and Argentina might have a bit of unfinished business as well. They played in the 86 and 90 finals winning one each. A trilogy would be pretty special.
+ Argentina losing twice in a row vs Germany in the past 2 tournaments.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I worry a final involving the Dutch might not be competitive even though they've done done very well thus far.

Last edited:

SimonD

A quick look at google and Germany and Holland have played eachother twice in the last 20+ years, both in Euro group stages - 2004 and 2012. Before those games their last meeting was in 1992, also a Euros group.

Now Argentina and Brazil play eachother multiple times per Copa America qualifying round. They've played 6 times since 2010 even with Brazil having auto qualified for this world cup so weren't part of qualifying. If we don't get this game, then it won't be long to wait until it happens again, although obviously the stakes will be nowhere near as high. We may not get another chance to see Germany V Holland for another decade or more.

Having said that a Brazil v Argies world cup final in the Maracana does have a special ring to it. Hopefully the final is either all S.American or all European, those are by far the juiciest possibilities, I'd be kind of disappointed if we ended up with a mix even though they're massive games in their own rights. Given I'm expecting a depleted Brazil to get knocked out by Germany I'd say I want Holland to take the other place in the final.

Bloedrood

Germany-Netherlands final would probably be the biggest game in Dutch football history.

Bloedrood

Along with the WC final in 1974 probably.
I think this one would be bigger for us Dutch because that one happened, and because we lost that one. It only adds to it for this one. It's a chance to rewrite all wrongs. Even Dutch players from 1974 are saying that.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
I think this one would be bigger for us Dutch because that one happened, and because we lost that one. It only adds to it for this one. It's a chance to rewrite all wrongs. Even Dutch players from 1974 are saying that.
Wouldn't the Second World War play a part in the enmity the Dutch have for Germany and 74 World Cup would add to it.

Cristobal

There is no game match that can beat an Argentina - Brazil.
Germany - Holland is more a continental thing, but arg. Bra is the must.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There is no game match that can beat an Argentina - Brazil.
Germany - Holland is more a continental thing, but arg. Bra is the must.
Germany Netherlands is a rivalry though - not on the scale of Argentina/Brazil... but it's certainly more than just two teams from the same continent.

Cristobal

Germany Netherlands is a rivalry though - not on the scale of Argentina/Brazil... but it's certainly more than just two teams from the same continent.
Oh I didnt mean that, I ment that was the great Eurpoean Match, but Brazil Argentina was a world Match,
My english sucks, sorry,.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
A Germany - Netherlands final would put a lot of those articles that came out early in the tournement about what a disadvantage it was for European teams to be in South America in a new light.

Argentina - Brazil is probably the glamour match up, though without Neymar there to make it Neymar v Messi a tiny bit of shine is off it. Germany-Netherlands is close behind though.

The other possible match-ups are a bit less interesting from then the glamour match-ups but not enough to maky anyone not watch.

Bloedrood

Wouldn't the Second World War play a part in the enmity the Dutch have for Germany and 74 World Cup would add to it.
Well, the 2nd world war doesn't really play a big role nowadays, I'd say the rivalry is more healthy now and Dutch in general are more sympathetic towards Germans nowadays. Ofcourse in the past it played a role, even more so after that 1974 loss. Both those things together was just too much.

Still for me, and anyone I know, there isn't another team I'd want to win against more, or would hate to loose against more. No other team comes near that.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Brazil - Argentina

Messi scoring on the 93', Maracana crying, Maradona unleashed, Ronaldo congratulating Messi via Twitter, Gago lifting the trophy... gosh, the amount of drama of all that could be epic :lol:

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Brazil - Argentina

Messi scoring on the 93', Maracana crying, Maradona unleashed, Ronaldo congratulating Messi via Twitter, Gago lifting the trophy... gosh, the amount of drama of all that could be epic :lol:
I've seen a few documentaries on the "maracanazo" from 1950 when Brazil failed to win that World Cup. Part of me really wants to see another "maracanazo".

backpass

I believe that this is all about pain and suffering!

If you are a national citizen of any of those 4 countries it is clear what will be the worst for you.
As a German you would die if you loose to Netherlands in the finals, a loose to Brazil in semis or Argentina in the finals would suck, but the pain when you lose to the Netherlands can´t be measured.
And for a Brazil citizen it would be not worth living anymore after losing to Argentina in the finals in your own country. Unbelivable, for real you couldn´t enjoy anything aftwards. Only thing keeping you on track would be the insane short time you have till the next incountry League Matchday, it´s on the 17th of July, really crazy!

Bloedrood

why is it "dutch" in holland and "deutsch" in germany? sorry for asking you.
It's not Dutch in Holland, Dutch is an English term, it's not something we use in our language. I don't know where that term originates from, but probably something that just evolved or was translated weirdly.

Deutsch is simply from Deutschland, which is what Germany is called in their own language.

Dutch and German however are related as languages. English, Dutch, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian etc are all Germanic languages.

Last edited:

Cristobal

If you are a national citizen of any of those 4 countries it is clear what will be the worst for you.
As a German you would die if you loose to Netherlands in the finals, a loose to Brazil in semis or Argentina in the finals would suck, but the pain when you lose to the Netherlands can´t be measured.
And for a Brazil citizen it would be not worth living anymore after losing to Argentina in the finals in your own country. Unbelivable, for real you couldn´t enjoy anything aftwards. Only thing keeping you on track would be the insane short time you have till the next incountry League Matchday, it´s on the 17th of July, really crazy!
As an argemtinian, I rather lose against Netherlands tomorrow and again against Germany next saturday than lose the final against Brazil.
I only want to win tomorrow if I am certain that we are going to win the final if its against Brazil.
And most brazilians feel the same.,

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

mate, i'm an argie, and i'm loving it, i think we don't have a chance in hell to win the WC but i rather my team be here than at home

its only football, and this kind of stances create legends

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I've seen a few documentaries on the "maracanazo" from 1950 when Brazil failed to win that World Cup. Part of me really wants to see another "maracanazo".
It would be taking that and increasing it x100 nowadays, and with the ability or Argentinians to create hype of the most simple things, winning the world cup against Brazil in their own country and putting Messi automatically as "the greatest ever" without discussion would give them the upper hand vs his Brazilian fellas on any topic about football for the next 100 years

We could be present at the most important event of football history, like being sit in front of the tv eating popcorn when Neil Armstron arrived at the moon :D

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
It would be taking that and increasing it x100 nowadays, and with the ability or Argentinians to create hype of the most simple things, winning the world cup against Brazil in their own country and putting Messi automatically as "the greatest ever" without discussion would give them the upper hand vs his Brazilian fellas on any topic about football for the next 100 years

We could be present at the most important event of football history, like being sit in front of the tv eating popcorn when Neil Armstron arrived at the moon :D
If Brazil and Argentina met in the final it would arguably be the biggest game of football in history. Maybe there's a bit of hyperbole there, massive wouldn't do it justice.

Bloedrood

Imagine losing your 4th world cup final, to your biggest rival. Yeah, that just can't happen, would be devastating.

heub

It's not Dutch in Holland, Dutch is an English term, it's not something we use in our language. I don't know where that term originates from, but probably something that just evolved or was translated weirdly.

Deutsch is simply from Deutschland, which is what Germany is called in their own language.

Dutch and German however are related as languages. English, Dutch, German, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian etc are all Germanic languages.

thanks. so its an english failure, we should use the term "dutch" not for holland, but for the germans(who use it for themselves)!?

Bloedrood

thanks. so its an english failure, we should use the term "dutch" not for holland, but for the germans(who use it for themselves)!?
I wouldn't say it's a faillure. Different languages have different words for things. To make it more complicated, for example we Dutch call it(German/Deutsch) Duits. And I think the term Dutch might have originated from Diets or Dietsch, which was basically a term for a bunch of regional languages in the Netherlands around the middle ages or something.

Anyway, it's complicated, but Dutch is fine for Netherlands/Holland. Deutsch is pronounced very differently, and really shouldn't be used unless you're speaking in German.

Adebesi

Netherlands v Germany would be the most emotionally charged as far as the Dutch are concerned at least. Cathartic if they won, an unmitigated disaster if they lost.

Im hoping for Netherlands v Brazil but as others have said, there are no combinations that will really disappoint. The closest it can get to disappointing me personally is if there is no European team in the final, I wouldnt care that much but if I knew Argentina were going to beat the Netherlands tomorrow, Id rather Germany won tonight.

Essaux

every team in the group stages parked the bus against argentina, but they managed to win in the 90 minutes, still everyone said that argentina was shite, now when the same happens to the dutchs, suddenly is ok not to score a goal in 120 minutes

and don't tell me that Costa Rica is a power house or something like that, because i've already had that thought and laughed my eyes off
I won't claim they are a power house, because they are not, but they did beat Italy, Uruguay and drew against England. Not a bad feat, don't you think?

And also, as mentioned before, 18 shots for Holland and 1 shot for Costa Rica. On any other day Holland would have scored 5 goals and no one would be coming here spouting nonsense like "Holland played poorly against Costa Rica" and more along those lines. Which is absolutely hilarious to claim as it is very untrue.

Reactions: Marcosdeto

Lothar

Yes, it would be more appropriate. But that's the English for you, they haphazardly give you a name and then you're stuck with it. I bet you the only reason they took a fancy for the latin word "German" in the first place was because of its microorganism connotations.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Imagine losing your 4th world cup final, to your biggest rival. Yeah, that just can't happen, would be devastating.
Somehow it wouldn't to me this time. Unless we'd lose in a cruel way (refereeing mistake, or just being better all matches and then conceding a goal out of the blue). Not even last WC-final hurt as much as us losing a semi final in 98 and 00 when we really had a team to win it. 2010 hurt as well for the 118th minute goal and Webb not awarding us a corner a minute earlier makes that worse, but deep down we all know Spain was the better team there. This time we weren't even a contender before the tournament. We just went there with no expectations seeing where it will all end. I'm happy regardless of what happens now, unless as I said we lose due to bad refereeing or really against the run of play. Even if we lose to Germany in the final, it won't hurt thát much as long as it was won fair and square. Obviously losing a final will always hurt, but if it's going to happen again this time it wouldn't hurt as much as others if you ask me.

I actually think we'll do it if we play Germany though. Against Brazil I'd be worried about the home-advantage/referee. But obviously we have to get past Argentina first. I will never be less nervous for a semi-final with Holland than this time. Simply because we have nothing to lose. If we lose, it's still ok as long as it's not a cruel loss. If we lose then we can cheer for Messi in the final so he can put any discussion about him being the best ever player past any doubt. I will just enjoy this match. Of course I really hope we win but I won't be hurt unless we lose totally against the run of play or by ridiculous refereeing decisions(s).

The one thing we have above any other of the four is that the pressure's on them. We can just go out and give it our best shot.