Ducker: Scott McTominay - the future Manchester United captain rapidly making himself indispensable

passing-wind

He started the season terribly but has gradually improved in the last few games. One problem with this club is how much hype players recieve in purple patches, last year the Rashford / Mbappe comparisons was beyond a joke for good run of form totalling 5 games. Give him a few more years before throwing captaincy talk into context.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
He's a quality player. Sure he's not going to be banging 15-20 goals a season, but he's a solid 7/10 every week player, and it's upon those players that you can add players who can score 15-20 goals from midfield. You can build a team around 7/10 players.

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum who have an unnatural need to be negative about everything. It's getting silly, and it's ruining this place.

How many things can people moan about United. I'll give you a list of just a few of the things:

Pogba
Ole
Phil Jones
Scott McTominay
Signing Dan James
Ashley Young
Rashford
Lingard
Uniteds scouting system
Wages we pay

Pogba aside, all those players will put a shift in for the team, granted some aren't as good as we want them to be, or need them to be, but whatever happened to supporting the shirts. You moaning cnuts need to feck off.
You were doing so well.

Canagel

Seriously? Mourinho got slayed on here for bringing in McTominay and trusting him to perform. "It's only because he's tall", "mourinho has a fetish for tall players" etc.

He'd easily be a consistent starter under Jose.
Probably next to Fellaini and Matic or still in the back 3.

Denis' cuff

Love young Scotty. Looked a leader from the start. Obvs the very early days didn’t quite have the confidence but work ethic and positivity in spades. Great to see the lad blossoming.

GBBQ

Him, Wan Bissaka and Daniel James are flourishing this season. Would be great if key positions would be locked down for years to come and then we could focus on bringing in one or two key players per season to freshen things up.

Considering we have been lacking leaders in the past few seasons, its great to see McTominay step up. Hopefully him and Maguire will be the backbone to keep the team ticking over on the pitch.

Philip McManus

He has been great for us. Arguably our best performer but why does he need to be a captain? He has so much more left to prove at the top. He hasn’t even been first team for a whole season. Journalists love to do that thing were they can’t just let young plAyers fly under the radar without putting them under immense pressure.
Absolutely spot on there

gza the genius

Absolutely spot on there
Because we've been missing a leader on the pitch for years and it looks like we finally have one again. Same reason people were looking to make Maguire captain before even playing a game with us. It's too early for Mctominay obviously but he certainly has the right attitude to become a captain in the future.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is definitely one of our most consistent players, who does his job and always with right attitude. But genuine questions, if he plays for another club, how much will you willing to buy him for? For me I won't go for anything more than 40m.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The reason people talk about him as our captain is because when he plays his game he simply doesn't vanish.

He is everywhere.

Now we are seeing things like his passing and shooting improving - all this means is that Mctomminay can really be central to the tempo we as a team want to play.

I'd say that he has the potential to be our Henderson - where he might no look like the greatest player in a squad but under a good quality manager - that manager uses his work ethic and his heart beat to build the team working to the same tempo around him.

That's why Mctomminay gets talked about as Captain - its his heart beat.

romufc

That's why Mctomminay gets talked about as Captain - its his heart beat.
His leadership is great on the pitch.

He isn't just vocal but he will drop deep get the ball of the CB's and drive forward with it.

That is what a true leader does. doesn't shy away from the game hiding from the ball which some players do. He wants to get on the ball and drive.

Smores

Jose will try to take credit for Scott, even though McTominay would be celebrating a grand total of 33 minutes of first team action so far this season from the bench, if Jose was still here.
McTominay would be Jose's back-up option to 31 year old Nainngolan, who Jose would have spent £85 million on.
That's an unhealthy obsession you've got right there

TrustInOle

He's a quality player. Sure he's not going to be banging 15-20 goals a season, but he's a solid 7/10 every week player, and it's upon those players that you can add players who can score 15-20 goals from midfield. You can build a team around 7/10 players.

I can't believe the amount of people on this forum who have an unnatural need to be negative about everything. It's getting silly, and it's ruining this place.

How many things can people moan about United. I'll give you a list of just a few of the things:

Pogba
Ole
Phil Jones
Scott McTominay
Signing Dan James
Ashley Young
Rashford
Lingard
Uniteds scouting system
Wages we pay

Pogba aside, all those players will put a shift in for the team, granted some aren't as good as we want them to be, or need them to be, but whatever happened to supporting the shirts. You moaning cnuts need to feck off.
Agreed, my biggest gripe with the forum, is the ability to somehow think, just because a player is not upto the level we expect, its okay to slate and disrespect them. Fair enough, some players deserve it, who dont give 100% atleast, but I find it very odd to always jump on the back of our players individually for not being a level they expect a United player to be.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not a chance. He doesn't have a single stand-out quality that you could base a YouTube highlights video on. Decent in most areas, master of none. in fact, that French lad Soumare was criticised the other day because his highlights video showed he was okay everywhere but not excellent anywhere. Exactly like Scott. But I suppose Soumare isn't 'one of our own' so therefore is subject to warranted criticism.
Transfer forum is the proof. Who even cares about standout quality, YouTube will highlight his tackles, interceptions, headers, dribbles, couple of goals. More than enough.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Generally speaking I have always felt that the captain role is a bit overrated but with Scott, I think it will make him even better
For me Maguire should be captain of this team, but its encouraging that al of sudden our spine is starting to look a little more recognisable. De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof & McTominay are the right stuff and something to build on

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For me Maguire should be captain of this team, but its encouraging that al of sudden our spine is starting to look a little more recognisable. De Gea, Maguire, Lindelof & McTominay are the right stuff and something to build on
AWB and James are players who are also tough and made of the right stuff.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
AWB and James are players who are also tough and made of the right stuff.
Yep - agreed. Should probably add Rashford too seeing as its always been a grossly unfair expectation on him to lead the attack at a club this size at his age

SER19

If you foresaw this kind of improvement coming, fair play to you then.

There are players who kick on as soon as they are given a chance and then there are players who take time to gain their confidence when put at a higher level. McTominay is the latter. McTominay looked and played an extremely limited role, especially in terms of his attacking contributions when he was first put in the squad.

Jose did him no favours by constantly bringing him up as an example of why he is a manager who apparently favours youth, then invented an award at the club awards ceremony to drive that point home harder and in the end did Scott no favours by asking him to play in defence as a protest against the club which inevitably ended poorly.

These are all very valid reasons for why fans were not exactly enamoured by him during that time.
Not being enamoured, and utter bile or deluded ramblings about being solely used as a pawn rather than having any noticeable talent are very different things.

thepolice123

Given him 2 or 3 seasons. Its still too early for that. There will be a witch hunt once he hits a bad patch of form.

kkengvib

Too early to say he will grow into a key player for the years to come but one thing you can never fault him is the attitude and determination.
He's surprised me this season with improved composure on the ball and the ability to drive up the midfield (reminds me of Anderson with his forward runs with the ball).
If he can maintain this form and improve further on the technical side of his game, he'd be a mainstay in the squad.

Captain talk way too early though. Maguire more likely to get the armband than him I think.

jem

I stand by what I always say - he's doing great, I love his attitude and professionalism but if Scott McTominay was playing for Watford or Newcastle, not a single United fan would say "that's a player we need in our starting 11".

A nice story, a nice lad, a solid enough player but if we want to be a world-beating team again eventually Scott would be phased into a squad role.
But the same could probably have been said of Wijnaldum when he was in fact playing for Newcastle. I doubt any of us were saying 'that's the kind of player we need,' and yet he's become a pretty important of LFC's team (and would be more than welcome on United now.) McTominay has shown great progress at a young age - I think there is no reason to doubt that he can continue to improve.

RedCurry

We need to just let the boy play. This is the type of hype that overburdens players.

norm87cro

No pressure eh kid? Let the lad enjoy his current form before foreshadowing something like this. We should absolutely sign more quality midfielders (that can influence him properly) with the experience and then in the future see if Scott has the wright tools and understanding to be a future captain. That being said he has one captain virtue and that is that no matter if he has a good or a bad game he doesn't shy away from responsibility (and I've given him 5/10 grades in some games). An example he shouldn't be setting with so many more senior players in our squad but that is our reality.

podurban2

We need to just let the boy play. This is the type of hype that overburdens players.
I don’t see McT as a person who gets affected by what’s happening around him. Also, it comes with the brand of Manchester United to be hyped so, he better get used to it!

Alabaster Codify7

But the same could probably have been said of Wijnaldum when he was in fact playing for Newcastle. I doubt any of us were saying 'that's the kind of player we need,' and yet he's become a pretty important of LFC's team (and would be more than welcome on United now.) McTominay has shown great progress at a young age - I think there is no reason to doubt that he can continue to improve.

Now, this is a point I can actually agree with and get behind.

Not the usual "hurr-durr, he's one of our own he's gonna be awesome" comments that his cult-like fanboys seem to be parroting.

Kemizee

Two players I personally have never been impressed with nor did I want either. If they were Croatian or German we wouldn't even have been linked with either. I stand by my opinion, Scott is a very limited albeit hard-working and quite effective player. A very good squad option.

McTominay has built a real cult on here already. Anyone who doesn't believe he's the next academy-bred superstar is in for it! I'll continue to stand by what I feel I see when I watch him play.
Decent player and nothing more. Our situation in the last 7 years makes us very desperate so any glimmer of hope in a player is blown out of proportion. I remember when we won against Roma 7-1, won 3 EPL titles on the trot and 2 UCL finals on the trot; our line up was something like this in those times (2007-2011):

VDS
Valencia Vidic Rio Evra
Nani Scholes Carrick Ronaldo(Giggs)
Rooney(Tevez) Berbatov

Now compare that with our line ups today and see why we have fallen.
No fear factor anymore when you see a Man United team line up. Who the feck is scared of Mc Tominay in midfield? Your guess is as good as mine. We need to stop overrating this lot so we can acheive greater things once more as a club. Untill we have a team that instills fear in the tunnel even before the match starts, we will not achieve anything significant. City for instance have that fear factor when you look at their line up. I am not in anyway suggesting we go completely galaticos in our approach but we need players who can make opposition guys shit their pants. We don't currently. He is a decent player but nothing special in my eyes.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
but if he was playing in Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga many would be posting his YouTube compilation saying how we should sign player like him.
100%

"Scott Mctominaio, MOTM every touch compilation Chelsea away 2019"

We'd all be going nuts for it.

Eriku

Now, this is a point I can actually agree with and get behind.

Not the usual "hurr-durr, he's one of our own he's gonna be awesome" comments that his cult-like fanboys seem to be parroting.
Why be so divisive in your characteristics? The Caf is fecking polarised enough without McTominay's usefulness to the squad becoming a new wedge. Chill out, dude.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
100%

"Scott Mctominaio, MOTM every touch compilation Chelsea away 2019"

We'd all be going nuts for it.
Exactly, then when someone checks his stats which are as good if not better than Fabinho, it's easy muppet target.

Augustus Gloop

He started the season terribly but has gradually improved in the last few games. One problem with this club is how much hype players recieve in purple patches, last year the Rashford / Mbappe comparisons was beyond a joke for good run of form totalling 5 games. Give him a few more years before throwing captaincy talk into context.
He didn’t start the season terribly. The team started poorly but he wasn’t among the clutch of players that weren’t stepping up. I know they were only “moments”, but he won the pen against Palace, and bagged an assist and got a man sent off against Southampton.

I’m the lad’s biggest fan but I do agree that the widespread media coverage of his progress is getting a bit much. Comes with the job I guess. Hope he just continues to keep his head down and work hard. Seems the type to do so, but he’s only 22 and in his infancy of playing first team football. Just gotta keep working hard would be the thing I pay attention to.

Shark

@NotShark
Decent player and nothing more. Our situation in the last 7 years makes us very desperate so any glimmer of hope in a player is blown out of proportion. I remember when we won against Roma 7-1, won 3 EPL titles on the trot and 2 UCL finals on the trot; our line up was something like this in those times (2007-2011):

VDS
Valencia Vidic Rio Evra
Nani Scholes Carrick Ronaldo(Giggs)
Rooney(Tevez) Berbatov

Now compare that with our line ups today and see why we have fallen.
No fear factor anymore when you see a Man United team line up. Who the feck is scared of Mc Tominay in midfield? Your guess is as good as mine. We need to stop overrating this lot so we can acheive greater things once more as a club. Untill we have a team that instills fear in the tunnel even before the match starts, we will not achieve anything significant. City for instance have that fear factor when you look at their line up. I am not in anyway suggesting we go completely galaticos in our approach but we need players who can make opposition guys shit their pants. We don't currently. He is a decent player but nothing special in my eyes.
Who the feck was scared of Michael Carrick? but he was effective as anyone in that team. I'm in no way comparing Michael to Scott, but not every midfielder has to be scary, Carrick was called overrated for years, nobody apparently knew that he does on the pitch until near the end of his career.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Pogba
Ole
Phil Jones
Scott McTominay
Signing Dan James
Ashley Young
Rashford
Lingard
Uniteds scouting system
Wages we pay

Bravo, Andy. Well said.

#GayforMcTominay

Shiva87

I stand by what I always say - he's doing great, I love his attitude and professionalism but if Scott McTominay was playing for Watford or Newcastle, not a single United fan would say "that's a player we need in our starting 11".

A nice story, a nice lad, a solid enough player but if we want to be a world-beating team again eventually Scott would be phased into a squad role.
I actually think that the reality is exactly the opposite. If he was playing for a Watford or Newcastle, we would be talking about buying him for $50-60 mm.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
You could tell in preseason that he was totally up for the new season. The more regular gametime he gets the more progression you can see in his game. For example his positioning has been great in the last few weeks in particular, and he looks capable of adding more going forward. Should be in the running for YPOTY

Withnail

You could tell in preseason that he was totally up for the new season. The more regular gametime he gets the more progression you can see in his game. For example his positioning has been great in the last few weeks in particular, and he looks capable of adding more going forward. Should be in the running for YPOTY
He'll be Player of the Year at this rate. Anyone but Shaw

Jibbs

I don't know how so many posters here who have been following football for many years now can not spot the apparent talent in McT. We are so lucky to have a player like him, there are good midfielders and then there are those who are among top 10 of a particular decade. McT will be one those for next 5 to 10 years for United. I think as he matures he will settle into that anchor role and have a career like Carrick for United.

davidmichael

He’s been brilliant so far this season and established himself in the starting eleven but for me Maguire should be permanent captain, I’m happy with McTominay as vice captain and a on pitch leader but at 22 years old we shouldn’t put the pressure of captaincy on him and should let him progress.