Earthquake in Turkiye/Syria - 2 separate quakes in the region within hours of each other

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
This thread is so devastating, Antioch/Antakya simply appears to be no more:

buchansleftleg

I've avoided this thread for a few days because I didn't want to see upsetting stuff at the moment but this film is incredibly moving and captures the real nature of these sort of operations - hope amidst despair.

I worked with a guy who was part of an international team that helped out in Haiti after the earthquake there in 2010 and he said the media obviously tends to concentrate on the "good news" of the person released, but the rescue crews see the fine margins writ large. One person just gets into a doorway or stairwell and survives, someone just behind or ahead of them gets crushed. The father in this image protecting his child is so moving. At least his last thought - to protect the child - has been realised.

You will often see massive emotional outbursts from rescuers in these films and god do they deserve some moments of joy - becuase usually in every situation where someone is rescued - as soon as that elation is over they have to get right back to recover bodies around the scene of the rescue. When I spoke to my colleague this was his abiding memory of the Haiti quake - just a brutal amount of clearing away death and destruction and agonising choices that made the difference between life and death made in a heartbeat.

buchansleftleg

Possibly but I'd be guessing and am not really comfortable doing so in a field I have so little scientific knowledge of.
It's a highly complicated thing with Earthquakes - Where it strikes and the nature of the rocks and soil in the area make every situation unique - Shallow quakes in loose soil can increase the amount of buildings that collapse as the shaking is amplified. Mountainous quakes can be less severe in terms of deaths from the quake itself but they can also cause widespread land collapses and "cold lahars" as water is released from bedrock causing liquefaction that destabilises the bedrock to tumble uncontrollably down a hillside, like a river of fast flowing concrete.

This is why it's nigh on impossible to warn people about a potential earthquake - what do you tell them to do? - Head for the hills? stay indoors? You just have to try and build some survivability into homes. If it looks like Erdogan has raided the coffers on his Earthquake protection funds then maybe the odious little troll can get voted out if he isn't dragged through the streets by his heels that is!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
https://www.skysports.com/football/...stle-player-found-following-turkey-earthquake

The body of former Newcastle United footballer Christian Atsu has been found under the rubble of the building where he lived in Turkey, his agent has said.

Atsu, who had been playing for Turkish Super Lig side Hatayspor, was missing since earthquakes hit Turkey and Syria on February 6.

The 31-year-old had been misidentified and falsely reported as hospitalised last week.

A statement from the representative of Atsu, Nana Sechere, said: "It is with the heaviest of hearts that I have to announce to all well-wishers that sadly Christian Atsu's body was recovered this morning.

"My deepest condolences go to his family and loved ones.

"I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their prayers and support.

"I ask that whilst we make the necessary arrangements, that everyone would please respect the privacy of the family during this very difficult time."

gica_7

I was born and raised in Kahramanmaras. I live in Kahramanmaras half of the year. What we are witnessing is shocking. There is not a functioning life in the city anymore. Almost every member of this city lost a relative or someone they know. There is almost no one left in the part of the city in which 50.000 people live. I roamed around yesterday and it was like a ghost city. It is almost like the colors of the life has faded.

This city is famous for its ice cream, textile production, steel production. There is a chance that they will be gone. But, most importantly, the streets that I played in as a child no longer exists. Please donate or help as much as you can.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I was born and raised in Kahramanmaras. I live in Kahramanmaras half of the year. What we are witnessing is shocking. There is not a functioning life in the city anymore. Almost every member of this city lost a relative or someone they know. There is almost no one left in the part of the city in which 50.000 people live. I roamed around yesterday and it was like a ghost city. It is almost like the colors of the life has faded.

This city is famous for its ice cream, textile production, steel production. There is a chance that they will be gone. But, most importantly, the streets that I played in as a child no longer exists. Please donate or help as much as you can.
Really sorry to hear this @gica_7, can’t begin to comprehend how your world has been turned upside down by this event.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Sorry to read that. It is really a war-like destruction.

RedDevilQuebecois

There are just no words to describe how anyone would feel when losing not only a home, but also family members and memories of more enjoyable times altogether. So sad to read about it. :(

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's horrible. :( We are supposed to be going to Istanbul for a wedding in August. Makes me feel a bit nervous.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Are these quakes caused by the plates that separate Europe and Asia ?
Looks like it’s between the Anatolian and Arabian plates. Majority of Europe and Asia are actually on the same plate. There are lots of fault lines in this region as you have 3 or 4 plates in “close” proximity

AlPistacho

Looks like it’s between the Anatolian and Arabian plates. Majority of Europe and Asia are actually on the same plate. There are lots of fault lines in this region as you have 3 or 4 plates in “close” proximity
Most tragic news to start the year. My barber is Turkish, he was telling me a village near where he is from is “ just gone “ that hit just as hard as all the news & social media videos and photos I’ve seen, maybe even harder.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
We're still regularly feeling aftershocks and new (weaker) earthquakes here in Lebanon.
People panicking all the time, leaving houses etc. when it hits.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

RedDevilQuebecois

And as all of this earthquakes are happening, Israel bombed civilian houses in Syria a couple of days ago with missile strikes, the world needs to stop this, the people have enough problems as it is right now.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/syria-...trikes-killed-at-least-5-in-damascus-a170422c
Doesn't the current Israeli government already have their hands full with protests against the newly proposed law on supreme court reform? Such move with airstrikes is the epitome of being scummy.