Television Eastenders

stubie

Us caftards could do much better storylines than Eastenders producers

For my storyline I would make Heather a prostitute in which she pays men to have sex with her.

Heardy

The actress who plays Ronnie, Samantha Womack is quitting over the cot death storyline apparently, having handed in her resignation in November when she first read the script.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Us caftards could do much better storylines than Eastenders producers

For my storyline I would make Heather a prostitute in which she pays men to have sex with her.
Is there another type of prostitute other than PL footballers;)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Complaining about the lack of realism in EastEnders is like moaning that Monster Munch crisps don't taste of monsters

I'm not entirely certain I can pinpoint the moment I first realised EastEnders isn't a documentary. Maybe it was when Den Watts was assassinated by a bunch of daffodils. Or when he came back from the dead and then got killed again. Or when Steve Owen's mother tried to French-kiss him on her deathbed. Or when Ricky Butcher became a speedway champion for one week. Or when Melanie Healy slept with Phil Mitchell on Christmas Day. Or when Max Branning got buried alive. Or when Janine pushed Barry off a cliff. Or when Janine got so agoraphobic she sat indoors eating dog food. Or when Janine ran over Danielle in a car. Or when Janine framed Stacey by stabbing herself on Christmas Day. Or when Janine slept with Ian Beale and then blackmailed him by threatening to tell his third wife, Laura. Or when Janine slept with Ian Beale and then blackmailed him by threatening to tell his fourth wife, Jane. Or when, while Googling a list of Janine's crimes, I realised Beale had managed to convince four whole women to marry him.

Somewhere along the way I must have twigged that none of these people were real, possibly during the bit at the end where the names of the actors who play them floated up the screen accompanied by theme music.

Contrary to popular opinion, EastEnders isn't set in London, or even Britain, or even the world – it's situated in an absurd alternate universe overseen by a malicious, tinkering God with an hilarious sense of timing. Each wedding, anniversary, national holiday or mid-sized social gathering is visited by major tragedy. The most familiar noise in Albert Square is the sound of party poppers being drowned out by sobbing. Quickly followed by some pulsing electronic drums.

Over the last few weeks God was at it again. Having given both Kat Slater and Ronnie Branning newborn offspring to enjoy, God capriciously decided to kill Ronnie's baby on New Year's Eve. As midnight neared, she wandered the square in a stunned daze, unnoticed by revellers and clutching the body of her deceased child – until, alerted by the sound of Kat's baby crying from an open window, she snuck into the Queen Vic and swapped the two infants, in a scene that looked more like a Tramadol Nights sketch than the heartbreaking drama it was presumably intended to be.

And now there's an entirely predictable storm of protest; predictable, apparently, to everyone except the EastEnders production team, who seem to have failed to anticipate the sheer size of the furore – which is odd, since their job largely consists of hypothesising about all the different ways in which people can unwittingly stumble their way to an acrimonious row.

The usual excuse for any soap opera planning a headline-grabbing plotline is that they're "helping to build awareness" of some social ill, as though the average citizen can only truly come to terms with drug abuse after seeing Phil Mitchell smoke crack.

Of course, you only "build awareness" by depicting events with some degree of accuracy, which is why the soaps often proudly announce that they collaborated closely with charities to ensure that Steve McFadden's portrayal of the dark spiral of addiction would be as harrowingly authentic as possible, especially the bit where he smashed through a door like Jack Nicholson in The Shining and burned the Queen Vic to the ground.

EastEnders would never screen an episode in which Ian Beale has a breakdown and decides to walk around the Square with a dead baby balanced on his head like a hat, although that would "explore the issue" of bereavement and mental health just as effectively as the current child-swap storyline, which is equally unrealistic, yet has to be presented as a hard-hitting study of bereavement because the alternative is to admit that EastEnders is mindless entertainment – with the occasional dead infant thrown in for your amusement.

There's a basic rule in drama that the audience can suspend disbelief only long enough to accommodate one extreme event at a time. A cot death is one extreme. A baby-swap is another. Combining the two events at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve was the scriptwriters' first big mistake. Trying to pull all of this off within the context of a populist soap was the second. A self-consciously weighty one-off ITV drama-of-the-week with an A-list cast and lots of sombre camerawork would probably have got away with it, unless they did something totally crazy such as casting Jedward as the swapped babies.

Still, if broadcasting the storyline was fairly crazy, complaining to Ofcom about the lack of realism in EastEnders doesn't seem much saner – almost on a par with threatening to sue the manufacturers of Monster Munch because their crisps don't taste of monsters.

Nonetheless, the BBC appears to have backed down and the storyline, in a weird reflection of itself, will be laid to rest prematurely. The mad God of Walford originally wanted the zany saga to reach a festive climax next Christmas Day, typically. But now the whole thing will apparently be rewritten to accommodate a viewer-friendly "happy ending".

Yes: that's a cot-death-baby-swap storyline – with a happy ending. Now there's a script meeting I'd like to sit in on.

Charlie Brooker - Guardian
Charlie Brookers take on the issue.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Ive never understood people who complain to Ofcom about anything...Or write to Points of View. I mean why? It's a bit like grassing...You're not just complaining about something you don't like, you're complaining about something you don't like so the makers can get in trouble for making something you didn't like...feck off.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Its this mumsnet bollocks.. women with conservative opinions intent on ruining it for everyone else! Not that I'm defending Eastenders on this particular issue.

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
Tough storyline. But ino if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its not been offensive to anyone. They have done their research into it and they are trying to bring the issue to light. Fine the baby theft goes too far, but those things have happened in the past.

The idiots who have decided to threaten the actress who play ronnie should be ashamed of themselves. They have ruined the poor womans life. I think she is going to struggle to get back on her feet again and get back to a job. She won't of earned much at Eastenders and this whole debacle has made her give it up. People don't think before they act.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
Tough storyline. But ino if you don't like it then don't watch it. Its not been offensive to anyone. They have done their research into it and they are trying to bring the issue to light. Fine the baby theft goes too far, but those things have happened in the past.

The idiots who have decided to threaten the actress who play ronnie should be ashamed of themselves. They have ruined the poor womans life. I think she is going to struggle to get back on her feet again and get back to a job. She won't of earned much at Eastenders and this whole debacle has made her give it up. People don't think before they act.
is that why she's quitting?

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
is that why she's quitting?
It seems that she never liked the story line, however she went ahead with it. So I don't see think she quit because of the story line. She was willing to do it.

People's abuse and threatening behaviour and letters seem to have pushed her INO. She said in an interview that the show had made her life a living hell. She looks in a bad way aswell.

Her friend said this aswell on daily mail site....
'Nevertheless, she's been plunged into a living hell by this. Some viewers can't separate fact from fiction. She doesn't even want to leave the house.'

The whole situation with her is sad.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

:lol:

I'm sure she'll have earned enough to get by without work for a month or two.

Tibs

Kara > Cheryl > Ronnie, sister of Chav Roxy, of Walford

Tibs

Wasn't much of a climax was it? Clearly rushed thanks the Daily Shit readers

Tibs

Whitney is gonna be a prostitute soon

I think with her it's a case of BOBFOC