Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That was the bit that threw me during the game, it’s like he is surprised that we could possibly lose away to West Ham with a striker who apparently wasn’t 100% before the game with no alternatives on the bench.

If he was a man of honour he would be announcing his departure tonight.
And if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle, but that's impossible as well.

Brass neck of this cretin. Its all on him.
He hasn't even got a neck, the little turtle faced shithead that he is. I also suffer from small chin syndrome but at least I'm not a wanker as well. I hope

marktan

Banker in having feck all understanding of football shocker.

Just wants to make money and that's it. What was our net spend this summer? Like £70m? Villa spent more in the summer.

The fact that he gave Ole a job, didn't back Mourinho, just shows what he knows, which is nothing. If SAF was here he wouldnt even let him sit at the same table for decisions let alone make them.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
We have made a lot of mistakes in the transfer market in since Fergie left.

Most expensive signings since 2013:
2013 - Mata and Fellaini for 77 million pounds. Neither signing will have a big place in United history.
2014 - Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera,Rojo,Blind,Falcao for around 190 million pounds plus Falcao loan fee. Hardly a success story there either.
2015 - Martial,Schneiderlin,Depay,Darmian,Schweinsteiger,Romero for around 160 million pounds. Martial has a lot of talent and hopefully will show that this season but others were a flop except Romero.
2016 - Mkhitaryan,Pogba,Bailly,Ibrahimovic for around 190 million pounds. Ibra a hit for his limited time and Pogba has all the talent in the world but has far more to offer I feel.
2017 - Lukaku,Matic,Lindelof,Sanchez for around 200 million pounds. A lot of flops there an no bigger in United history than Sanchez. Lindelof is ok but also needs to improve.
2018 - Fred and Dalot for around 80 million pounds. Neither worth the money in my estimate.

So that is close to 900 million pounds made available to managers to sign players for 6 seasons. Do you guys think there is another top club in Europe that has made as many errors in the transfer market as us during that period? I would go as far to claim that Van Persie is the last signing we made that can be described as a huge hit. Then if I´m not mistaken those players were signed to the request of every United manager at the time. Woodward does not tell Van Gaal or Mourinho I´m going to sign this player and you will play him. That´s not how things work at United.

Over the last seasons the following clubs have made these signings that can be defined as succesful signings in my estimate:

Liverpool: Alisson,Van Dijk,Salah,Robertson,Mane,Wijnaldum,Firmino
Man City: Mahrez,Laporte,Walker,B.Silva,Stones,Sane,Jesus,De Bruyne,Sterling,Fernandinho
Spurs:Moura,Son,Alderweireld,Davies,Alli,Dier,Eriksen
Chelsea:Rudiger,Kante,Willian
Arsenal: Leno,Aubameyang,Lacazette,
B.Dortmund: Witsel,Hakimi,Diallo,Delaney,Sancho,Dembele,Weigl,Aubameyang
Bayern: Goretzka,Coman,Sule,Gnabry,Hummels,Vidal,Kimmich,Alonso,Lewandowski,Thiago
Juventus: Ronaldo,Bonucci,Matuidi,Bentancur,Pjanic,Dybala,Sandro,Mandzukic

Imagine if we had signed Van Dijk,Sane,Son,Aubameyang and Kante out of that group rather than the dross we signed? But that´s in the past and now we must look forward. Woodward must carry his part of the blame for this transfer fiasco and to me it seems OGS and Woodward are cleaning house and I can see a clear pattern of how Ole wants us to play. Maguire,Bissaka and James are good signings in my estimate even though it´s still early day´s good signings and now we must bring Gomes,Garner,Greenwood and co into the fold. On top of that we need a DOF in order for us to develop and I think we are heading for that.
Depressing reading really. The amount of money we have wasted on shit players and misfits is just outrageous

Alabaster Codify7

It's all token gestures with him though, we know that.

He knows the cameras will be on him a lot during games, meaning fans will be looking at his reactions - he's just feigning frustration and surprise to make it look like he cares. Same way he's 'looking for a DOF' by making the role so micro-managed and meaningless that it's obviously not going to appeal to anyone worth their salt. Token gesture, no intention of following it through.

johanovic

Depressing reading really. The amount of money we have wasted on shit players and misfits is just outrageous
And on top of the 7 players we got rid of this summer Matic,Mata,Young + Jones,Rojo should not been seen in a United shirt again. Play Gomes,Chong,Greenwood,Garner and Williams because they would give effort, can move around the pitch and they have a chance to be a part the future. Matic and Mata were more like senior citizens than senior pros today.

red thru&thru

How can such academically intelligent guys get it so wrong? If I was him, I'd have been so embarrassed by now that I'd take some action by now. But it's as though the Glazer's have got a sex tape of him and are black mailing. I mean, how and why does he keep taking the constant abuse? He was lauded before about how great he is at marketing etc etc but now, now he is being abused constantly. Surely it must hurt him?

If I were Ed, genuinely, I'd give the guy's at Red Bull a call and ask for help. They currently have everything set up as we used to be. I'd get some kind of commercial set up with them. They could get there heads together and just get some kind of deal struck together, that would mutually benefit both parties!

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That for me is one of the core issues. The money has been available, but the way it has been spent is...unbelievable really. So much just thrown away and it's reflected in the number of players who have already been shipped out.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If I saw him hanging off a cliff, I am not sure I would help. I hate him so much right now.
Has overseen the demise of this great club.

Adisa

I thought I was apathetic about this club, I was wrong. I am just angry. We need to make going to the stadium impossible for this rat faced cnut.

redshaw

The Glazers have to see he's got almost every decision wrong.

If Ole is sacked during this season because we're even further down the table he has to carry the can for it as well.

If the Glazers aren't selling then they need to appointment people like the rich owners of other clubs to do run the club properly.

Said it before but he's like a stockmarket day trader who loses 90+% of his trades. How many more years does it take to see he has to be moved aside.

After billion spent we could bottom half.

Adisa

The club has spent £900m in six years. The blame you can level at the Glazers is allowing a culture of mediocrity by allowing this man stay and plunder the place.

Judas

Open to offers
I genuinely can't get over how poorly we've spent 900m, it's almost impressive how badly we've done in the transfer market. Maybe a handful of players bought were good signing.

Thisistheone

I genuinely can't get over how poorly we've spent 900m, it's almost impressive how badly we've done in the transfer market. Maybe a handful of players bought were good signing.
We have to be the worst run big club in the world, pound for pound I'll be amazed if anyone else has blown it as badly as we have since 2013 and under-achieved to the scale we have, considering our wealth.

AneRu

The club has spent £900m in six years. The blame you can level at the Glazers is allowing a culture of mediocrity by allowing this man stay and plunder the place.
Shocking ain't it? I thought all the Glazer siblings were MBAs and they have a couple of CAs on the board, if so then how are they reviewing Woodward's performance and don't they have other contacts of their own in the football industry? Because anyone taking a cursory look at United, the money we spend on fees and wages and whats happened over the past six seasons will point the finger at Woodward. Granted some of the decisions he's made after Moyes were reasonable as the fans endorsed and sometimes even clamored for them like the Mourinho hiring but since last summer he has completely lost it. Bringing in Ole after Mourinho brought in a feel good factor but making him permanent and then messing up the summer business are sackable offenses and he just has to go with Ole if the Glazers are serious.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Shocking ain't it? I thought all the Glazer siblings were MBAs and they have a couple of CAs on the board, if so then how are they reviewing Woodward's performance and don't they have other contacts of their own in the football industry? Because anyone taking a cursory look at United, the money we spend on fees and wages and whats happened over the past six seasons will point the finger at Woodward. Granted some of the decisions he's made after Moyes were reasonable as the fans endorsed and sometimes even clamored for them like the Mourinho hiring but since last summer he has completely lost it. Bringing in Ole after Mourinho brought in a feel good factor but making him permanent and then messing up the summer business are sackable offenses and he just has to go with Ole if the Glazers are serious.
He also fecked Mourinho by not backing him with transfers.
It's useless changing managers unless they back any manager with the signings he needs.

Raw

It's absolutely dreadful. Could you imagine what £900m over 6 years would get us with proper planning and strategy? We'd no doubt be one of the best clubs in the world, competing on all fronts. We're honestly the worst run top club in the world.

johanovic

Spending by the top clubs in Europe since 2013 as per Transfermarkt.com in Euro millions.
United City Chelsea Liverpool Spurs Arsenal
In: 1053 m 1202 m 1004 m 772 m 501 m 693 m euro
Out: 345 m 357 m 880 m 576 m 414 m 268 m euro
Net spend 708 845 124 196 87 425
Bayern Dortmund Juve Real Barcelona PSG
IN: 543 m 584 m 1052 m 925 m 1200 m 1029 m
Out: 343 m 651 m 794 m 669 m 703 m 424 m
Net spend 200 67 million plus 258 256 497 605

So here above is are the facts regarding spending by what I call the top clubs in football.
Most expensive signings since 2013:
2013 - Mata and Fellaini for 77 million pounds. Neither signing will have a big place in United history.
2014 - Di Maria, Shaw, Herrera,Rojo,Blind,Falcao for around 190 million pounds plus Falcao loan fee. Hardly a success story there either.
2015 - Martial,Schneiderlin,Depay,Darmian,Schweinsteiger,Romero for around 160 million pounds. Martial has a lot of talent and hopefully will show that this season but others were a flop except Romero.
2016 - Mkhitaryan,Pogba,Bailly,Ibrahimovic for around 190 million pounds. Ibra a hit for his limited time and Pogba has all the talent in the world but has far more to offer I feel.
2017 - Lukaku,Matic,Lindelof,Sanchez for around 200 million pounds. A lot of flops there an no bigger in United history than Sanchez. Lindelof is ok but also needs to improve.
2018 - Fred and Dalot for around 80 million pounds. Neither worth the money in my estimate.

So that is close to 1053 million euro made available to managers to sign players for 6 seasons. Do you guys think there is another top club in Europe that has made as many errors in the transfer market as us during that period? I would go as far to claim that Van Persie is the last signing we made that can be described as a huge hit. Then if I´m not mistaken those players were signed to the request of every United manager at the time. Woodward does not tell Van Gaal or Mourinho I´m going to sign this player and you will play him. That´s not how things work at United.

Over the last seasons the following clubs have made these signings that can be defined as succesful signings in my estimate:

Liverpool: Alisson,Van Dijk,Salah,Robertson,Mane,Wijnaldum,Firmino
Man City: Mahrez,Laporte,Walker,B.Silva,Stones,Sane,Jesus,De Bruyne,Sterling,Fernandinho
Spurs:Moura,Son,Alderweireld,Davies,Alli,Dier,Eriksen
Chelsea:Rudiger,Kante,Willian
Arsenal: Leno,Aubameyang,Lacazette,
B.Dortmund: Witsel,Hakimi,Diallo,Delaney,Sancho,Dembele,Weigl,Aubameyang
Bayern: Goretzka,Coman,Sule,Gnabry,Hummels,Vidal,Kimmich,Alonso,Lewandowski,Thiago
Juventus: Ronaldo,Bonucci,Matuidi,Bentancur,Pjanic,Dybala,Sandro,Mandzukic

Imagine if we had signed Van Dijk,Sane,Son,Aubameyang and Kante out of that group rather than the dross we signed? But that´s in the past and now we must look forward. Woodward must carry his part of the blame for this transfer fiasco and to me it seems OGS and Woodward are cleaning house and I can see a clear pattern of how Ole wants us to play. Maguire,Bissaka and James are good signings in my estimate even though it´s still early day´s good signings and now we must bring Gomes,Garner,Greenwood and co into the fold. On top of that we need a DOF in order for us to develop and I think we are heading for that.

But the cold hard truth is that we need to ship out more players plus the 7 we let go this summer. Matic,Mata,Young,Rojo,Jones and perhaps a few others have no future as Man Utd players. Who is to blame for this mess we are in?

1. OGS? no give me a break, he´s cleaning house
2. Woodward? yes he has to take a part of the blame as he´s the boss
3. Moyes,Van Gaal and Mourinho? Yes because as I understand the process at Man Utd every player is signed by the request or approval of the manager at the time.
4. Fergie/Gill? yes because losing them both at the same time was devestaing but I would also like to point out that in 2013 and 2014 we lost (mostly due to players age) Scholes,Giggs,Vidic,Ferdinand,Evra,Fletcher and I could make the arguement that the squad got to old and at least the signings we have made since then have not been near the standard these players set while playing here.
5. Glazers? Yes of course but perhaps more in my mind because the debt we are carrying and the state of Old Trafford as it´s sadly needing a new look at least. It can not be said they have not made money free for signings as we have the second highest net spend in football for the past 6 years.

AneRu

He also fecked Mourinho by not backing him with transfers.
It's useless changing managers unless they back any manager with the signings he needs.
But Mourinho was backed heavily and the summer he complained about no backing he was whining about the chance to correct his own mistakes as the players he signed weren't up to scratch. He is also the guy who signed Matic when Fabinho was available and had we listened to him we would be having an over 30 Perisic stinking up the place alongside Matic right now. Wrt Mourinho I think Woodward's fault was in indulging him too much and when it went tits up he reacted most unprofessionally and left the club holding the bill from his petulance.

haram

But Mourinho was backed heavily and the summer he complained about no backing he was whining about the chance to correct his own mistakes as the players he signed weren't up to scratch. He is also the guy who signed Matic when Fabinho was available and had we listened to him we would be having an over 30 Perisic stinking up the place alongside Matic right now. Wrt Mourinho I think Woodward's fault was in indulging him too much and when it went tits up he reacted most unprofessionally and left the club holding the bill from his petulance.
Well Perisic is now playing for Bayern and has 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. I am pretty sure a manager like Mourinho would get Perisic playing effectively, and we have all seen how good he can be for Croatia.

PyroMan

I don't understand how much wrong Woodward has done.

Gave Ole a contract when everyone was in agreement that he was the best choice (anyone disagreeing is trying to make a fool of themselves).

Backs the manager in the transfer market, spending over 100m on a porous defence. Not his fault the manager did not want to bolster the attack.

His ineptness was on display with Mourinho who he failed to back properly. But the majority of this forum seems to hate Mourinho, so not backing him turned out to be a positive?

fergiesarmy1

Well Perisic is now playing for Bayern and has 2 goals and 2 assists in 4 games. I am pretty sure a manager like Mourinho would get Perisic playing effectively, and we have all seen how good he can be for Croatia.
Well he is playing for Bayern for a team that has 16 goals in 5 games, think he may find the prem and playing for this United a slightly tougher challenge.

haram

Well he is playing for Bayern for a team that has 16 goals in 5 games, think he may find the prem and playing for this United a slightly tougher challenge.
Of course. I still think Mourinho would have him playing effectively outside of stats. Thats my opinion though, I’m aware Perisic can be inconsistent but his top level is very effective.

dove

Gave Ole a contract when everyone was in agreement that he was the best choice (anyone disagreeing is trying to make a fool of themselves).

Backs the manager in the transfer market, spending over 100m on a porous defence. Not his fault the manager did not want to bolster the attack.

His ineptness was on display with Mourinho who he failed to back properly. But the majority of this forum seems to hate Mourinho, so not backing him turned out to be a positive?
It was probably the stupidest thing he did during his tenure and he did plenty of stupid things.

Ed is directly responsible for constantly choosing the wrong managers, constantly lying to fans in his briefs to the media, looking for excuses why not spend money on players, saying some absolutely stupid things publicly like "We can win nothing and still sell shirts - just look at Liverpool" (are you kidding me? What CEO would say that??) etc etc.

AneRu

No doubt he is a good player but so was Matic in his day and now he has declined and who is picking up the tab? I think he would have been a good signing for a few seasons but given what Inter were demanding back then (wasn't it around 50m) I am glad we refused to pay that.

Tarrou

oh come on, surely nobody honestly believes Ole didn't want to bolster the attack?

croadyman

I have just been sat opposite a bloke on the train who has a canny resemblance to him. That is just what you don't need on a Monday after a crap result.